Community Event - Summary

+
Volsung said:
Not quite I believe. It's supposed to have a STORY, and knowing CDPR, decisions that actually matter. Probably more like Fallout 1/2 and Betrayal at Krondor: story-driven, open-world.

I would argue that Elder Scrolls games are more like a sandbox: do what you want, nobody cares

Agreed. Open world is a relative term here, and I highly doubt we'll get Bethesda size environments because those games are designed around wandering/do what you want gameplay. I expect something more focused from CDPR.

Vojtas said:
Most of the Witcher fans live in Slavic countries like Poland, Russia and Czech Republic.
Citation needed.

Vojtas said:
Although if you want my entirely biased opinion, then Prague, because everyone needs to go to Prague at least once. :D
... and get mugged by a gang of street urchins :3

slimgrin said:
If it's to be in the sates New York makes the most sense. Best exposure there for the RED's. England or Germany both seem fit for a western European visit.

New York hell yea! I can offer sleeping bags in my living room if need be.

Demut said:
Citation needed.
Sapkowski is a Pole. If you want to see his passport, just send him an e-mail.

Russian was the first translation of the books (a year after Polish original), Czech was the second (right after Russian). Sapkowski is very often invited by Russians and Czech people. Sales of the books in Russia are on the second place, right after Poland. Sales of the games in Russia are highest in the world (only sales for the whole North America is higher).

Nuff said.

Poland is perfectly fine for big community event.

Demut said:
... and get mugged by a gang of street urchins :3

That's exaggerated. I live in Bucharest where it is supposedly much worse then in Prague and yet I've never had anything stolen from me on the street...

...except that one time when I was a kid and this young gypsy took out a knife and threatened me for my stocking cap ( and I decided a knife fight is something not worth having for a fucking cap ) but that was just a one time thing.

Vojtas said:
Sapkowski is a Pole. If you want to see his passport, just send him an e-mail.

Russian was the first translation of the books (a year after Polish original), Czech was the second (right after Russian). Sapkowski is very often invited by Russians and Czech people. Sales of the books in Russia are on the second place, right after Poland. Sales of the games in Russia are highest in the world (only sales for the whole North America is higher).

Nuff said.

Poland is perfectly fine for big community event.

Not that it's worth arguing over but didn't MM360 suggest an international venue? I'm assuming one other than Poland since that's where this one was. At any rate I'll just be viewing pics of it anyway.

@ Slimgrin

For whom international event really is? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that The Witcher fans from The West (Western Europe, UK, US, Canada, Australia etc.), who would like to join such event, are still not many. I really would like to be mistaken.

Vojtas said:
For whom international event really is? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that The Witcher fans from The West (Western Europe, UK, US, Canada, Australia etc.), who would like to join such event, are still not many. I really would like to be mistaken.
On March 8, 2012, CDPR gave a talk about how to market games; they released the pdf of that talk a short time afterwards. Part of that talk was several slides of sales figures. Here are the sales figures that CDPR gave for the first Witcher game. (The divisions and figures are CDPR's; it was not I who chose to group countries this way.)

Witcher 1 Sales

North America 533,780
Russia & CIS 456,600
Poland and other CE 293,062
Germany, Switzerland, Austria 275,317
Europe (others) 224,949
UK 131,668
France 92,770
Australia, NZ, Asia 92,643

I like numbers, because they give facts, instead of opinions, stereotypes, or hopes. ;)

lol you know what ?

Just have the community event in a cruise that goes through the Antlantic ocean picking up fans on the way, then after the event is done the cruise gets swallowed in the water by a strong storm and we all get to pay a surprise visit to Vilgefortz's crib, and have an Arena competition against him.

Corylea said:
On March 8, 2012, CDPR gave a talk about how to market games; they released the pdf of that talk a short time afterwards.
This is a chart what I have in mind. Russia and Central-Eastern Europe rule, because of the games AND the books. Highest sale is not equal highest brand recognition. The Witcher is much more famous in Russia/CIS - if you would count pirated copies of TW, number of the Russian players would be unequalled. Another thing is popularity of the books. As I said before Russian translation was the first - Sapkowski is a some kind of star there. Recognition of the brand, story and characters - those things really matter. This is why I don't think that many Americans would join event even if it would be in US.

Looks like some Praguers didn’t like my post, huh ^-^ ?

Vojtas said:
Nuff said.
Errr ... you haven’t delivered any proof as I asked you to do. All you did was make more claims. The picture Corylea posted even seems to suggest the exact opposite.

Vojtas said:
That's exaggerated. I live in Bucharest where it is supposedly much worse then in Prague and yet I've never had anything stolen from me on the street...
You’re a local, not some naïve Western tourist. I imagine that might have something to do with that ;>

Vojtas said:
...except that one time when I was a kid and this young gypsy took out a knife and threatened me for my stocking cap ( and I decided a knife fight is something not worth having for a fucking cap ) but that was just a one time thing.
So it never happened except for that one time? That’s already too often in my books ;p

Demut said:
Errr ... you haven’t delivered any proof as I asked you to do.
I don't have exact numbers, because book publishers never showed any. But I know what Andrzej Sapkowski said many times (like this) about his visits in Russia. Also Russian community is very active: cosplayers, artists, writers etc. Tales from the world of the Witcher - anthology of short stories written by Russian authors. You don't have to agree with me, but it doesn't change the fact.

You mean the “fact” for which you can produce no evidence? Besides, I’m talking about the game’s sales and not the books’ ones. See the graph above for the TW1 sales. If the TW2 ones are anything like it then you’re claim is simply false, mate.

Demut said:
Looks like some Praguers didn’t like my post, huh ^-^ ?

Czechs are known for stealing, lying and cheating. You haven't said anything new, especially to people actually living in Prague.

Here's the pie chart for TW2 sales. This chart was released in early March, so not only are these figures from nine months ago, they're also from before the XBox release. I'm sure TW2 has sold a lot more by now, and the numbers probably haven't increased evenly; I'd expect a larger increase in areas where there are a lot of XBox owners and a smaller increase where there are fewer XBox owners.

Witcher 2 Sales

North America 269,700
Russia & CIS 234,215
Poland and other CE 185,123
Germany, Switzerland, Austria 130,053
Europe (others) 93,932
UK 74,225
France 47,352
Australia, NZ, Asia 68,863

Top Bottom