Community Q&A – Time for some answers

+
DrakeAllan said:
You didn't really clarify if you could choose your character's gender or not, because, while I will probably enjoy the game regardless I know a lot of people who didn't like the Witcher just because of that. I'd just appreciate if you made that clear.

Personally I really hope they don't go that route just for the sake of market appeal.

They can either do it well or not do it at all. Doing it well requires resources that would be a lot better spent elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind if the protagonist was set to be female mind you. I just hate this whole piss poor job most RPGs ( and I don't refer to just Bioware games here ) do with gender selection and character customization.

Costin Moroianu

Posted Today, 05:44

DrakeAllan said:
You didn't really clarify if you could choose your character's gender or not, because, while I will probably enjoy the game regardless I know a lot of people who didn't like the Witcher just because of that. I'd just appreciate if you made that clear. ›››

Personally I really hope they don't go that route just for the sake of market appeal.

They can either do it well or not do it at all. Doing it well requires resources that would be a lot better spent elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind if the protagonist was set to be female mind you. I just hate this whole piss poor job most RPGs ( and I don't refer to just Bioware games here ) do with gender selection and character customization.

I really hope they do add gender choice. I know a lot of female gamers who won't play the Witcher because they don't want to play a man. Their loss, and I personally understand why Gerald can't be a woman. LOL

However, I would also like to add this: EAWare screwed over a lot of female gamers in Miss Effect 3 with their forced lesbianism and blatant sexist fanbase catering. I personally know that many of them are looking for a new "home" if you will. I know I personally will never BUY another bioware game.

I also know that if I win the lottery, CDPR is on my bucket list of places to visit.

So I type cyberpunk in Google as I am wont to do every month or so in (up til now) vain hopes of getting some good news, like a game based on the pen and paper game made by a game company I trust (see Microsoft and Shadowrun for how not to do a good job, thankfully they only destroyed Shadowrun and not Cyberpunk in general) and...

I get one of the best game companies, one that I trust the most, and STRAIGHT UP what I've been looking for.

TYTYTYTYTYTY

p.s. I had a GURPS cyberpunk (not 2020) book when I was little that I would leaf through. Ya'll should give that book a leaf-through for the hell of it.

From polish side of the wall:

Kielek486: Jakie będą edycje wydań gry (czyli np. Edycja Kolekcjonerska lub Podstawowa)?

Marcin Momot: Myślę, że biorąc pod uwagę nasze zamiłowanie do specjalnych wydań dotychczasowych tytułów, a także fakt, że zawsze staramy się dać graczom jak najwięcej w zamian za okazywane wsparcie, można spodziewać się unikatowych gadżetów i materiałów dodatkowych, a co za tym idzie, więcej niż jednego wydania gry. Pamiętajmy jednak, że jest to jeszcze melodia przyszłości - dam wam znać jak będziemy nad tym pracować.

Vojtasass & Kereth: W jakim stopniu komputerowy Cyberpunk będzie nawiązywał do mechaniki gry p&p? Jak bardzo Mike Pondsmith jest zaangażowany w tworzenie gry?

MM: Bardzo wiele osób w naszym studiu jest fanami papierowego Cyberpunka. Są to ludzie, którzy wychowali się na tej grze i teraz mają szansę wykreować jej komputerową adaptację. Pracując nad obiema częściami Wiedźmina nauczyliśmy się tworzyć dojrzałe historie dla wymagających odbiorców. Nasz sposób narracji, dbałość o szczegóły przy przedstawianiu lokacji, niekiedy bardzo brutalna rzeczywistość - to wszystko chcemy przenieść do świata Cyberpunka. Jeżeli chodzi o mechanizmy i rozwiązania, które chcielibyśmy zastosować w grze, to mamy całą masę pomysłów na rozgrywkę, których nie mogliśmy wykorzystać w Wiedźminie, bo nie pasowały do tamtego świata - w Cyberpunku możemy pozwolić sobie na trochę więcej swobody. Mike Pondsmith jest ojcem całego systemu, stworzył go wspólnie ze swoimi przyjaciółmi i razem z nimi opracował komplet zasad, co za tym idzie, współpracujemy z nim bardzo blisko, tak aby jak najdokładniej odzwierciedlić jego wizję oraz mechanikę oryginału w naszej grze. Mike podczas swojej ostatniej wizyty spędził z zespołem bardzo dużo czasu omawiając poszczególne rozwiązania i ustalając detale mechanizmów rozgrywki. Z kilku zdań, które udało mi się z nim zamienić osobiście, jasno wynikało, że bardzo podoba mu się nasza wizja oraz pomysły.

Rest is pretty much the same. Im not going to translate it, im not as good at english use google or something.

MrTastix said:
My only gripe thus far is a rather minor, personal preference thing, with the picture in the article: The hexagon pattern on the neck puts me off completely. It was the first thing I noticed and such things always scream of cliche.[/I]
LOL I love you for posting this, it was my first thought as well when they released the promo image. Tho I was more distracted by hexagon-styled building than the tattoo... :p JJB is my spirit animal.

However, maybe "tacky" is what they are going for? I mean, the dude wears blue animal print jacket... *shudder* Hexagons could work with a 90s style.

Sirnaq said:
From polish side of the wall: [SNIP]

Quick translation:

Kielek486: What will the editions be (i.e. Collector's Edition or Normal)

Marcin Momot: I think considering our penchant for having special editions for our games up to date, and also the fact that we always strive to give the players everything we can in thanks for their support, you can expect unique gadgets and bonus materials, which entails releasing more than one edition of the game. Let's remember though, that this is still a song of the future - I'll let you know when we'll get around to working on that.

Vojtasass & Kereth: To what degree will Cyberpunk reference the p&p game's mechanics? How extensively is Mike Pondsmith involved in designing the game?

MM: Really a lot of people in our studio are fans of the p&p Cyberpunk. These are people who grew up playing this game, and now have the chance to shape its computer game adaptation. While working on both Witcher games, we learend how to create mature stories for discerning audiences. Our method of narration, attention to detail in presenting locations, sometimes very brutal realities - all this we want to carry over to the Cyberpunk world. As far as mechanics and solutions that we'd want to implement go, we have a whole slew of gameplay ideas that we couldn't use in The Witcher, because they wouldn't fit that world - Cyberpunk gives us more leeway in this regard. Mike Pondsmith is the father of the whole system, he created it along with his friends, together they established the rules, so naturally we're working very close with him, to best match his vision and mechanics in our game. During his last visit, Mike spent a huge amount of time with the team, talking about particular solutions and establishing details of gameplay mechanics. From what I've been able to hear from him personally, it's clear that he's very satisfied with our vision and ideas.

One simple question: can we play as a female character?

It's not the end of the world if we can't, but being a girl myself I feel left out when a male protagonist is the only choice (if you can call it a choice...) There are games when it's justified - Geralt can't possibly be female! - but usually there's absolutely no reason not to include both genders.

Even if I can't choose gender I'll still play the game and most likely enjoy it immensely, but if you decide to stick to "only male chars" policy it might well be the last game made by CD Projekt that I'll buy. Voting with my wallet and stuff... But it would make me sad, so pretty please: let there be females :)

Thank you Marcin for answering our questions! :cool:

Perhaps we can find out a little bit more about Cyberpunk gameplay or story from Gamescom in August. But on the other hand it's not good to know to much about the project at this stage. I believe if we get few tiny details every now and then it will be enough (spoilers)

That was actually a surprise, I never expected my question to be answer. Thanks.

Still I find the answer a little evasive, it is ok if you are doing the white straight male protagonist stance, it is the devs decision to tell the stories they want(although I will be extreme disappointed), at least we will put that out of our systems and move on for being excited about other things in the game.

Probably you guys are not sure yet or you just can't tell people about it. Either way I hope in the future we can have a more direct conformation and again thanks for all the answers.

Kodaemon said:
Thanks!

I'm curious about the answer to the inspirations question though - the only games called ShellShock I know of are the rather mediocre third person shooter Shellshock: Nam '67, and its even worse sequel. Is there any chance you meant System Shock?

EDIT: There's apparently also some sort of gangsta-themed tank game(!?) called Shellshock, but that can't be it either?
You're not the only one. I watched some gameplay of both games and I can't say I saw anything outstanding that would serve as inspiration. Just looked like your generic early TPS.

Will keep my eyes open.

Also very excited for open world hint, I'm very interested to see CDPR try their hand at it.

Well, the character customisation answer was disappointing and extremely evasive. Can you create a female player character or not? Please can they answer that?
I'm starting to get a sinking feeling about just how much character customisation will be in this game.
I came around to accepting the decision of the set male protagonist with the Witcher games as Geralt is an established character from the novels and I'm glad I gave the games a chance. However if this cyberpunk game is just going to be 20 varieties of male then I'm going to lose interest fast and probably will not buy the game.
If this is the case and since it is very early in the development stage of the game I respectfully ask CDProjekt to please consider allowing a choice of gender in character customisation. :)

There's an opportunity here to plan it really early and implement it seamlessly unlike so many other rpgs where the choice seems like a tacked on afterthought. CDProjekt could raise the level of rpg design and show other developers how a good rpg with a customisable character is done!

KIrving said:
Well, the character customisation answer was disappointing and extremely evasive. Can you create a female player character or not? Please can they answer that?
I'm starting to get a sinking feeling about just how much character customisation will be in this game.
I came around to accepting the decision of the set male protagonist with the Witcher games as Geralt is an established character from the novels and I'm glad I gave the games a chance. However if this cyberpunk game is just going to be 20 varieties of male then I'm going to lose interest fast and probably will not buy the game.
If this is the case and since it is very early in the development stage of the game I respectfully ask CDProjekt to please consider allowing a choice of gender in character customisation. :)

There's an opportunity here to plan it really early and implement it seamlessly unlike so many other rpgs where the choice seems like a tacked on afterthought. CDProjekt could raise the level of rpg design and show other developers how a good rpg with a customisable character is done!
What if it were 20 varieties of female? Would you buy it then?

It's a half trolling question, for as I was typing I realized that a female exclusive protagonist is not that common and might make for an interesting switch up.

But I agree with your sentiment.

jfprovata said:
What if it were 20 varieties of female? Would you buy it then?

It's a half trolling question, for as I was typing I realized that a female exclusive protagonist is not that common and might make for an interesting switch up.

But I agree with your sentiment.
Well it would be unique. :) While there are a number of set female protagonists in a handful of computer games I don't think there is any game that has 20 varieties of only female characters to choose from.
I probably wouldn't buy it because my husband would like the opportunity to make a male character and also the cynic in me suggests that such a game would either have highly sexualised characters or be made with a cliched, gender stereotype notion of what appeals to women *shudder*. Cue the shopping quests, make-overs, gossip timers and shoe selection mini-games.
Although, if they did have a skill that was about how many ways to mess up or kill your enemies armed with just a high-heel stiletto then that could have some amusing appeal. :)

KIrving said:
Well it would be unique. :) While there are a number of set female protagonists in a handful of computer games I don't think there is any game that has 20 varieties of only female characters to choose from.
I probably wouldn't buy it because my husband would like the opportunity to make a male character and also the cynic in me suggests that such a game would either have highly sexualised characters or be made with a cliched, gender stereotype notion of what appeals to women *shudder*. Cue the shopping quests, make-overs, gossip timers and shoe selection mini-games.
Although, if they did have a skill that was about how many ways to mess up or kill your enemies armed with just a high-heel stiletto then that could have some amusing appeal. :)
I disagree actually my fear would be the opposite. That they would try too hard not to stereotype women and create a sort of bland, generic, and gender neutral storyline.
Also I must confess as a male I personally don't have a problem with over sexualized characters ;), but yes it is a phenomena that occurs way too often and is mostly done simply for the sake of sex appeal, and with out any sort of substance or "class" (if you will) with it.

KnightofPhoenix said:
Thanks for the answers.
If it's a customizable protagonist, I do hope we can change the gender. I want to play as a woman.

I do too, but I also value their character designs over mine, so if it's one male or female with character models as awesome as Geralt, then I won't complain about the lack of a character creator.

After seeing some Shell Shock gameplay, I'm really wondering if he meant System Shock.

I feel honored to have my question picked.......Thank you!

I must admit I never was a cyberpunk guy in days past......but I am really excited for this game

Top Bottom