Companions

+
Companions

I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that we will have companions in this game and the girl from the trailer could be one of those companions.. What do you all think? What type of companion would like to have? And how do you feel about companion missions?

I don't remember CDPR mentioning that she could be a companion, so a source would come in handy if you read something else, as that would be pretty substantial piece of information for us!

Personally I don't want companions in the game. No party management and that kind of stuff, just my character and his/hers personal story, how he/she is just one little mechanism in the big Night City machinery. I won't mind occasional NPC companions for certain quests, not overall I prefer a solo affair.

I really enjoyed some of the companion quests in Fallout New Vegas. Cas and Boone really great companions, and in such a lonely environment it was nice to have a friend in the wastes. Why did you try to wrestle a Deathclaw Boone?! Why?!?!?!?! Damn you Hardcore Mode! I thoroughly enjoyed there personal quests and was very surprised this was not carried over or even attempted in Skyrim--------but that is neither here nor there.

I enjoy traveling with companions but inventory mules are no fun at all. In a busy Urban Setting, I could very well prefer my character traveling alone. It really depends on the environment for Glaroug here. What a crappy political answer.

No companions - this trend in videogames to bring in an AI character you can bond with and who meaningfully interacts with you is getting kind of played out to be honest. Please not in CP2077.

"Companions" will be solved by multiplayer which will be in the game.

"Multi-player features"

This could might be just competitive online shoot'em up for all that's been said, which is very little.

So.. Let me get this straight, just because you guys don't want to have a companion around, there shouldn't be any companions in the game? Isn't that a bit selfish? I mean in most games companions are optional, you don't have to bring them to missions with you, you can tell them to go away.. (mostly like Fallout series) I think this game should have at least two companions.. If you don't want them, don't invite them to your group.

"Multi-player features"

This could might be just competitive online shoot'em up for all that's been said, which is very little.

I really, really, really, really hate multiplayer and online stuff, but i'm not going to say: "NO ONLINE STUFF SINCE I HATE MULTIPLAYER!" Since you like it and i don't have to play it, and since its optional, (like companions and romance and many other stuff) it really doesn't bother me.

I don't remember CDPR mentioning that she could be a companion, so a source would come in handy if you read something else, as that would be pretty substantial piece of information for us!

Personally I don't want companions in the game. No party management and that kind of stuff, just my character and his/hers personal story, how he/she is just one little mechanism in the big Night City machinery. I won't mind occasional NPC companions for certain quests, not overall I prefer a solo affair.

I've been searching but i couldn't find where i read it.. I will look for it until i find it again though..

no companions, i have the same feeling, its you alone against the world. cyberpunk is about being isolated alone and dark. its not a freaking final fantasy highwind party.

Companions generally reflect the nature of the poor, poor AI in games and are a major immersion crash. I enjoy the humour if done well, but having a retarded minion who regularly runs in front of my flamer while repeating the same line over and over is pretty blech.

Your argument about freedom of choice is one I've offered myself and the best counter-argument is that I'd rather see CDPR devote all their time on perfecting the parts of the game that aren't optional. If they do that and then want to add in things like multiplayer, companions and vehicles, great, go ahead.

I just don't consider companions particularly necessary or interesting. Spend the resources on interesting NPCs who don't follow you around like puppies.

...looks like Sard has pretty much summed it up for me.

Provided they do have some kind of companion / hireling / mercenary mechanic, I hope that the AI for them is intelligent. More often than not, companion AI tend to be bullet magnets.

Player: *stealths up to the target, moving like a shadow in the night*

Companion: SHOOT ALL THE THINGS!! *charges bad guys*

Bad guys: BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM!!

Companion: *wet, gurgling noises as they choke on their own blood*

Bad guys: LOOK OUT, THERE'S ANOTHER ONE!!

Player: .....

Even worse than poor AI is having a pack mule shout the same things over and over and over again.

I really, really, really, really hate multiplayer and online stuff, but i'm not going to say: "NO ONLINE STUFF SINCE I HATE MULTIPLAYER!" Since you like it and i don't have to play it, and since its optional, (like companions and romance and many other stuff) it really doesn't bother me.

I don't know what they plan to do with multiplayer, and I'd be surprised if it turned into chest high walls, grenade launching full throttle 2077 Battle Royale. All that's been said is that vague quote I gave and RED's "reported" hiring of a programmer who specializes in that area.

...looks like Sard has pretty much summed it up for me.

Provided they do have some kind of companion / hireling / mercenary mechanic, I hope that the AI for them is intelligent. More often than not, companion AI tend to be bullet magnets.

Player: *stealths up to the target, moving like a shadow in the night*

Companion: SHOOT ALL THE THINGS!! *charges bad guys*

Bad guys: BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM!!

Companion: *wet, gurgling noises as they choke on their own blood*

Bad guys: LOOK OUT, THERE'S ANOTHER ONE!!

Player: .....

I have to agree on this one, but to be fair, in most games companion AI is not as bad as it was.. Best companion AI i remember was from a 2003 make game called "Freedom Fighters", it was way ahead of its time, companions didn't even have much of lines to speak of..They stayed away from your path and attacked the enemy without getting in front of you.. (I probably remember it better than it was, oh well..) All i'm trying to say is, if its done right it can add a lot to the story.

By the way, Cyberpunk is not about being alone, where the hell did you get that idea? Its a PnP game, you can't play those all by yourself.. :D While playing PnP you have your friends as your team (lets call them companions for the arguments sake) While playing a video game you have AI guided companions (or maybe coop companions, assuming it will be a feature in the game) You are never alone, not according to original Cyberpunk.. Not that you can trust your companions mind you..

By the way, i'm still unable to find where i read the thing about companions, if i'm not mistaken it was in Polish and i translated using Google translate.. Maybe its mistranslated but i doubt it..

We-elll..It's a PnP game, that is true. But it's a PnP game with treachery and deceit, where they include a section on how to get the players to work together called, "The Hook". Because unlike in most PnP, in Cyberpunk 2020, players are more likely to shoot each other as soon as it seems like a good idea, then loot the body for organs and cyber.

In short, cyberpunk characters - and the fiction fro Bladerunner to Neuromancer reflects this - tend to be self-sufficient, untrusting, violence-inclined survivors. Who must fight the dehumanizing aspects of the machines they put into their bodies to help them as they try to climb the corpse-mortared, blood-slippery walls guarding anything vaguely resembling Success or Peace or Safety in their dark and bitter world.

Your peers are your rivals and will typically add you to those same corpse-mortared walls as soon as you slip up, using your body as a stepping stone on their way to their goals.

Pretty isolating, yeah.

How do companions fit into this again?

We-elll..It's a PnP game, that is true. But it's a PnP game with treachery and deceit, where they include a section on how to get the players to work together called, "The Hook". Because unlike in most PnP, in Cyberpunk 2020, players are more likely to shoot each other as soon as it seems like a good idea, then loot the body for organs and cyber.

In short, cyberpunk characters - and the fiction fro Bladerunner to Neuromancer reflects this - tend to be self-sufficient, untrusting, violence-inclined survivors. Who must fight the dehumanizing aspects of the machines they put into their bodies to help them as they try to climb the corpse-mortared, blood-slippery walls guarding anything vaguely resembling Success or Peace or Safety in their dark and bitter world.

Your peers are your rivals and will typically add you to those same corpse-mortared walls as soon as you slip up, using your body as a stepping stone on their way to their goals.

Pretty isolating, yeah.

Your base assumption is wrong.. According to your argument every person who played the PnP game just shoot and killed each other either for cybernetics or just for the heck of it.. This is untrue, when i played this game, i played it with my friends and we played as friends. We would join forces, build gangs, kill people and rob imaginary stores for the "greater good" (greater good was to survive mind you) There would be betrayal of course, as is the game go, but it wasn't the running theme as you suggested.. It's all about who plays the game.. (We had a theme about saving the world while saving ourselfs, but we never could, it would never come to that, it was crazy...)

And by the way, since one of the MAJOR themes in the game is romance and sex, how does your definition of kill everything that moves and take stuff fits into the game? You think romance was meant to be isolating? :D

Pretty isolating, yeah.

Well, I can see one way in which companions can fit. If you are allowed to have more than one companion it could be set up to have one of those companions, betray you. Of course this assumes we will have companions and more than one.

Personally, I could go either way. If done right companions can be quite useful, if done wrong, well you know. I would at least like the option to choose whether to have a companion or not.

Well, I can see one way in which companions can fit. If you are allowed to have more than one companion it could be set up to have one of those companions, betray you. Of course this assumes we will have companions and more than one.

Personally, I could go either way. If done right companions can be quite useful, if done wrong, well you know. I would at least like the option to choose whether to have a companion or not.

That's all i'm saying, we should at least have the option.. We should at least have 2 or 3 companions, if not more.. (hell, i don't want "fable" like NPC romance, with no real dialogue.. Romance is a major theme in Cyberpunk, and uninteresting, random NPC's would break that.. There should be trust, betrayal, fighting side by side, you know, like it was on Cyberpunk 2020)

"Fighting side by side"?! Ahahahahh! CP2020 isn't a superhero simulator. You fight on, dear fellow, I'll be back here, looting. And quietly leaving while the Corp back-up shows. Trust no one. And keep your, Er, Minami 10 handy. It's great advice.

Some missions or parts of the story could have someone following you to aid you or guide you somewhere but I say no to permanent RE5 style of followers. They could implement a back-up option for you lets say as a COP you could call in nearest cop car to give you some support during the mission etc..

"Fighting side by side"?! Ahahahahh! CP2020 isn't a superhero simulator. You fight on, dear fellow, I'll be back here, looting. And quietly leaving while the Corp back-up shows. Trust no one. And keep your, Er, Minami 10 handy. It's great advice.

Again, that depends on who you play with... Cyberpunk doesn't have a rule called "betray everyone" or "kill and loot everything" it's an RPG game, possibilities are limitless.. You shape your character, not the other way around..

Top Bottom