Companions

+
The problem is that level of companion control pretty much precludes FPS style combat as it's impossible to control multiple characters/NPCs.
Now a pause 'n play style would work fine.
Those that want to play the game as an FPS have that option (nothing forces you to pause) and the rest of us can play tactically.

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n9290781 said:
The problem is that level of companion control pretty much precludes FPS style combat as it's impossible to control multiple characters/NPCs.
Now a pause 'n play style would work fine.
Those that want to play the game as an FPS have that option (nothing forces you to pause) and the rest of us can play tactically.

Impossible to control multiple characters in a real time FPS? Its been done, and it doesn't require a tactical field view pause and play mode at all actually.

BeastModeIron;n9299991 said:
Impossible to control multiple characters in a real time FPS? Its been done, <clip>
Rather it's been attempted, not with any significant success.

BeastModeIron;n9300031 said:
Mass Effect lets not forget
You make my point for me, thank you.

There are a very limited number of things the NPCs could/would do. It's pretty much cut-n-paste. Players sets up combo, NPC performs follow up. Close with enemy, shoot enemy. While I suppose some might call that deep and immersive combat I'm afraid I'm not one of them.

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n9300091 said:
You make my point for me, thank you.

There are a very limited number of things the NPCs could/would do. It's pretty much cut-n-paste. Players sets up combo, NPC performs follow up. Close with enemy, shoot enemy. While I suppose some might call that deep and immersive combat I'm afraid I'm not one of them.

No actually, you've made your point, that you believe it can't be done because you don't like it.

I suppose you have come up with a much better solution to how a game must implement these features? No different than pause, select path of NPC, select attack target, play, rinse and repeat. Sure its easy to list the specific actions step by step. No ones calling it deep, but pause n play isn't deep nor tactical. Unless CP2077 uses a V.A.T.S style system, I don't see pause and play working very well in a FPS/TPS myself.

As in all things, I think the option should exist...After all, I don't know of too many Cyberpunks who got very far "Being alone like Stalone."

BeastModeIron;n9300121 said:
No actually, you've made your point, that you believe it can't be done because you don't like it.
Actually I have nothing against it at all, I'd love to see it done well. I Just view it in terms of the technical hurtles involved rather then wishful thinking.

BeastModeIron;n9300121 said:
but pause n play isn't deep nor tactical.
So... Chess is neither deep, or tactical, in your opinion then?

Because I do compleatly and utterly disagree with you on this... if anything I feel pause and play is a lot deeper, and a lot more tactical, then anything where you have to do it in realtime due to no pause. Because what realtime does is reduce a lot of stuff down to pure reactionary kinds of playing... you don't have time to think much when your right in the middle of it in such games, because hesitation in such games might often mean that you lose, so as such you won't normally get much more then somewhat shallow levels of depth and tactical thinking used.

In games where you're able to take your time, and really think about how you want to handle a situation, and how to handle things as they change around you, are a lot more deep and tactical... because you are able to actually use the depth of the tactics and stratagies and what not that are available.

I'll bring up XCom again.
Anyone that thinks the combat there isn't deep and tactical PRECISELY BECAUSE IT IS TURN BASED, and was designed around that is deluding themselves.
It's all well and fine to have your favorite game systems, but let's not give them attributes they don't possess. FPS games are perfect for reactionary gameplay but rarely have much tactical depth because you don't have the time to do anything but react.

Guest 4149880

Take from Fallout's real-time and VATS with a mix of Xcom and you might have yourself a pretty good system for everyone.

Suhiira;n9303201 said:
I'll bring up XCom again. Anyone that thinks the combat there isn't deep and tactical PRECISELY BECAUSE IT IS TURN BASED, and was designed around that is deluding themselves. It's all well and fine to have your favorite game systems, but let's not give them attributes they don't possess. FPS games are perfect for reactionary gameplay but rarely have much tactical depth because you don't have the time to do anything but react.

While I completely agree with your first point, your second point isn't exactly true. Take for example a game like Counter-Strike; the game requires a considerable level of both strategy and tactics to excel at it. By extension any FPS with a Search & Destroy or equivalent gamemode would also require the same level of strategy and tactics to succeed in it. While I despise the gamemodes; free-for-all and team-deathmatch also require a level of strategy and tactics as map awareness, knowledge of possible enemy locations, attack methods, weapon loadouts, etc. are crucial in winning any engagement beyond simply spraying and praying.

EvilWolf;n9305541 said:
While I completely agree with your first point, your second point isn't exactly true. Take for example a game like Counter-Strike; the game requires a considerable level of both strategy and tactics to excel at it. By extension any FPS with a Search & Destroy or equivalent gamemode would also require the same level of strategy and tactics to succeed in it. While I despise the gamemodes; free-for-all and team-deathmatch also require a level of strategy and tactics as map awareness, knowledge of possible enemy locations, attack methods, weapon loadouts, etc. are crucial in winning any engagement beyond simply spraying and praying.
Well...

“No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy”
That quote is probably the most importent thing to really consider when your talking about games that take place in realtime (really, in turnbased paused games as well of course... but not to the same level as a realtime type of a game)... yes, you can plan for exactly how you are going to go about a round of Counter-Strike... but chances are, if the opponents are atleast of about equal skill (or if they got lucky), your plan is going to get blown to pieces... at which point you have to revert back down to pure reactionary and trained muscle memory type of stuff. Your not going to suddenly stop in the middle of such a fight when one of your guys goes down and go "Oh, ok... well... since we are one guy less now we will probably have to... etc, etc, etc"... you can't stop like that in games like that, all you can do is rely on falling back on your base levels of tactics and what not, go with your gut instinct, muscle memory as well if you will, etc.

I will take Suhiiras example here as well, XCOM... and give you a video which perfectly explains what I mean with why turnbased games, or games with pause in them, tends to be more tactically deep then any realtime type of a game. This is a video from Beaglerush's Twitch page (which section to look at can be found in the paragraph below)... Beaglerush is probably one of the best XCOM players out there, atleast when it comes to people who play on Twitch and Youtube (Beaglerush mostly hangs out in twitch these days though)... but even though that, he is one of a very small number of people who has actually beaten XCOM 1 with the Long War mod installed on Impossible Ironman difficulty (and if you don't know what that actually means... only 1% of all the people who own XCOM 1 on steam has managed to win the game on Impossible difficulty, and that does include both playing with and without the Ironman option on (aka, part of that 1% is where people would be able to savescum their way through the game)...when you then add the Long War mod to it, it becomes even more difficult... because if I do not remember this wrong, Long War's easiest difficulty "normal" is either about the same, or more difficult, then the Impossible difficulty on Vanilla XCOM 1). First of, there is a fair bit of banter going on in the video, but that is just how Beaglerush does things (it is one part of what I like about him though), so try and ignore that if you don't care for it.

Anyway... the particular portion of this long video that I am going to point you towards, starts at about 42 minutes, and ends at about 1h and 33 minuts. Yes, it is about a 50 minutes long segment of just one single mission, but it perfectly shows what I am talking about. Where Beaglerush ends up in a fairly bad situation, and how he manages to work his way out of it with tactics and a deep knowledge about the game, and a little bit of luck as well, etc... and hell, even parts of this tactical deepness starts to happen way befor the mission even starts, where he roughly knows which kind of mission he might get sent on (since the game does tell him what kind of map it is etc), and as such he builds his team, and their equipment, to take that into account, think he spends about 16 minuts on doing that part alone befor the mision starts.

If you don't feel like watching 50+ minutes of that video... then I guess I will try and boil it down to you... basicly, the reason players of a realtime game (like an FPS for example) would potentually manage to win that scenario, that Beaglerush finds him self in, would not be due to deep tactical knowledge and skill... they would potentually win due to their twitch reaction ability, and skill in pointing the crosshairs at the right location in the world to kill the enemies, and some basic levels of tactical knowledge. If they had stopped and tried to essentualy reason and work their way out of it with deep tactical knowledge, like Beaglerush does in XCOM, then they would probably be dead befor they got that far. You just don't have time to take into account every minutia and detail and option of tactical depth once your in action in a realtime game, you have to act, and probably act right now as well, to not get into an even worse situation because you spent to much time on thinking in the realtime game.

It's not like the turnbased and pause and play games are actually more tactically deep... the actual possible tactical depth might be about the same is about the same in all kinds (although, if you add things like attributes and skills and what not, where a dice or a % roll vs the skill dictates the outcome, then it will be a bit more deep, since you would have a lot more to have to consider in how to handle stuff)... it's just that your able to actually utilize the entire available tactical depth a whole lot more in turnbased/pause games, then you would ever be able to in a realtime type of a game... because you don't have time for "fancy" and/or complex maneuvers for the most part in realtime games.

EvilWolf;n9305541 said:

Everything is relative, multiplayer games inherently have a level of strategy and depth to them simply because the obstacle you are trying to overcome is another person.

Suhiira;n9303201 said:
FPS games are perfect for reactionary gameplay but rarely have much tactical depth because you don't have the time to do anything but react.

Woah there, I thought it was because the gaming industry was lazy and couldn't make things complex due to the fact that it's easy to appeal to the majority of gamers.

BeastModeIron;n9304401 said:
BeastModeIron Junior Member Join Date: 11-06-17 Posts: 58 REDpoints: 9 HELPpoints: 0 #491 Yesterday, 00:30 Take from Fallout's real-time and VATS with a mix of Xcom and you might have yourself a pretty good system for everyone.

Do you think there should be something exactly like VATS in CP2077?

Don't need to wake up to check my posts mod! I'm a nice fella who would never break this forum's rules!

XDDDD DUDE SARCASM LMAO

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9307631 said:
Do you think there should be something exactly like VATS in CP2077?

If anything (like that), it should be something far, far more comprehensive than what Bethesda has cobbled together. Allowing measured movement and other actions, giving the AI the same opportunities, etc. And definitely pause the game to assess the situation and options rather than going for that slo-mo shit.

EvilWolf;n9305541 said:
Ahhh ye olde confusion concerning Strategy, Tactics, and Immediate Action Drills.

There are multiple books on each of the above topics, but to keep things simple:
Strategy = Diagnose the opponent ("attack methods, weapon loadouts, etc."), formulate a plan ("map awareness, knowledge of possible enemy locations") to defeat the opposition.
Tactics = How best to deploy and employ your forces (your post made no reference to tactics), generally done on initial enemy contact but before engaging the opposition.
Immediate Action Drills = Pre-planned (and usually rehearsed) reactions taken in response to enemy actions (i.e. any and all FPS games).

Since the vast majority of FPS games use pre-set maps, memorizing the map (choke points etc.) is not tactics, it's strategy. Same with knowledge of the Pre-defined weapon loadouts and the Pre-set number of opponents in the game.

And, YES, there is definitely some overlap between Strategy-Tactics-Immediate Action Drills. So if you want to pick nits there are minor (VERY minor) tactical elements in FPS games, but they're first and foremost Immediate Action Drills.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n9308031 said:
Tactics = How best to deploy and employ your forces (your post made no reference to tactics), generally done on initial enemy contact but before engaging the opposition.

Immediate Action Drills are basically pre-planned tactics though, so my point still stands. I didn't go into much detail about the uses of strategy either, I was just stating that it required strategy and tactics.

Top Bottom