Comparable Rpg with Immersion - like Cyberpunk but with heart and substance. Suggestions? (Also comparison and talk a little about Cyberpunk etc.

+
Why the "Deus Ex" is more cyberpunk than "Cyberpunk 2077"? What is "cyberpunk"? Please, define the genre for me.

I'll just start with a quote from wikipedia and then move from there:

"Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body. "

Cyberpunk is more "Neo-Punk" than "Cyberpunk", which means is more on the "cool" factor than the dystopic one.
The cyberpunk genre takes you in a corpo-run world, you are a nobody, another number in the sea of digital-information driven mega-cities. Did you feel you've played a game with a dystopic atmosphere in CP2077?
You are the only one with a bike, the only citizen with weapons ( apart from gangs ), you can take selfies and apart from the usual slums citizens in general seems to be quite comfortable living in Night City ( which apparently bases her economy on just sex and VR, let's try to ignore that for a moment ) and steal cars so easily that the police system in Night City could be catalogable as laughable at best.
For better reference, try to watch movies like Ghost in The Shell, Akira, Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. If you don't want/ don't have much time there's a Short, Blade Runner Blackout on Youtube, which is canon and between the two blade runner movies. You'll see what I mean with "lacking dystopic feeling".
Moving into neo-punk ( woah cool we live in a metropolis controlled by corpos and we have no rights whatsoever ) CP2077 ultimately fails to deliver. You can't really customize your body ( visually ), can't even change your hair for god sake! No true body swapping with mechanical parts and cybernetics. Also, why should you be the only capable of doing gigs? Where are the other legendary solos, mercenary, netrunners? ( not just the ones put there by the plot )
There could be much more to say but the post is already getting long enough. If you have another question ask and I shall try to answer.

"Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body. "

Cyberpunk is more "Neo-Punk" than "Cyberpunk", which means is more on the "cool" factor than the dystopic one.
The cyberpunk genre takes you in a corpo-run world, you are a nobody, another number in the sea of digital-information driven mega-cities. Did you feel you've played a game with a dystopic atmosphere in CP2077?
You are the only one with a bike, the only citizen with weapons ( apart from gangs ), you can take selfies and apart from the usual slums citizens in general seems to be quite comfortable living in Night City ( which apparently bases her economy on just sex and VR, let's try to ignore that for a moment ) and steal cars so easily that the police system in Night City could be catalogable as laughable at best.
For better reference, try to watch movies like Ghost in The Shell, Akira, Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. If you don't want/ don't have much time there's a Short, Blade Runner Blackout on Youtube, which is canon and between the two blade runner movies. You'll see what I mean with "lacking dystopic feeling".
Moving into neo-punk ( woah cool we live in a metropolis controlled by corpos and we have no rights whatsoever ) CP2077 ultimately fails to deliver. You can't really customize your body ( visually ), can't even change your hair for god sake! No true body swapping with mechanical parts and cybernetics. Also, why should you be the only capable of doing gigs? Where are the other legendary solos, mercenary, netrunners? ( not just the ones put there by the plot )
There could be much more to say but the post is already getting long enough. If you have another question ask and I shall try to answer.
Yup, in essence, Deus Ex (all the games, even Invisible War) portray the basic cyberpunk ideas (high tech, low life) much better then CP2077... especially the new games give a more or less perfect representation of what a corpo agent's life is like. Augmented against their will, used as a tool in the schemes of poweful entities, etc.

I get that CP2077 is deliberatly deviating from the base cyberpunk ideas for stylistic reasons - just take a look at what Night City looks like in the flashbacks to get a sense of how truly dystopian the setting WAS at some point - but still, they kinda dropped the ball on representing the true cyberpunk feeling in the game proper... some edgy advertising and dumb AI NPCs kicking each other in the streets is not enough there, not by a longshot.

Mentions of DeusEx games:
- Watch MandaloreGamings video on F.E.A.R to see how smaller and designed restrictive spaces make AI seem way better then it actually is, when the AI is specifically designed for that space and that space only. DeusEx does the exact same thing. Comparing the AI in CP and DE is totally pointless.

Mentions of Observer:
- It is 100% a horror game. Played for the first 3 or so hours and got a headache from all the filters and jump scare effects. Very stylish, claustrophobic and cool, just not my cup of tea. Do try it if you like walking simulators and horror.

Mentions of Skyrim and newer Fallout games:
- Daggerfall was and is still the absolute best iteration of an Elder Scroll setting. Fallout 1&2 were the best isometric RPGs I have ever played. I can recommended them all.
- Needles to say, Bethesda ruined both of these game franchises for me. As stand-alone games Fallout 3 & 4 and Oblivion and Skyrim are good, but when looking at their roots and what their predecessors did, they are all just failures. This is my personal opinion, not bashing on your favorite game should it be any of these, but I just cant recommend any of these newer iterations.

Mention of VTM Bloodlines:
- The original Bloodlines is a true classic and with some modding it can be made bearable for modern standards.
- Works just like DE, except you have vampire powers and a vampire world in "modern" San Francisco. True to the original World of Darkness and the writing and music and everything is just incredible. (if you lived in the early 2000s that is, the old computer screens might throw younger players off)
- I believe this came was one of the first or even the first game to use original source engine? Buggy as hell originally and totally saved by the community working on it up to this day

- Watch MandaloreGamings video on F.E.A.R to see how smaller and designed restrictive spaces make AI seem way better then it actually is, when the AI is specifically designed for that space and that space only. DeusEx does the exact same thing. Comparing the AI in CP and DE is totally pointless.
Nope, it isn't, since the end product is what counts... if you want to make an open world game, and your gameplay is dependent on properly working AI, then you better know what you are doing. Besides: Not all environments in the game are open world, and the AI doesn't work in confined spaces either.

If you are into medieval stuff try out Kingdom come: Deliverance. That's the most immersive game I've played so far.

If you want a cool Blade runner type shooter in a similar world try a old game called Crime Cities. It's been forever since I played it but it was great from what I remember.

Crime Cities

Don't let the price put you off this games is really good.

Now for the closest I know for you as far as RPG goes here is.

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

Both of these games I remember as being very good and Omikron being very atmospheric. I played these a looong time ago though so my memory can be a little hazy on the "deets" :)

If you want a cool Blade runner type shooter in a similar world try a old game called Crime Cities. It's been forever since I played it but it was great from what I remember.

Crime Cities

Don't let the price put you off this games is really good.

Now for the closest I know for you as far as RPG goes here is.

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

Both of these games I remember as being very good and Omikron being very atmospheric. I played these a looong time ago though so my memory can be a little hazy on the "deets" :)
If we talk scifie... Prey was quite good.

Hi Guys,

Just curious if there is a Rpg Game for PC with incredible Immersion and for 18 plus Players, likely looking like Cyberpunk?

Do you have some suggestions or a hint? I would appreciate it.
(don't need to be this high standard of graphics but Immersion and rpg is a must)

Sincerely

I would suggest Skyrim SE if you like a mythical ancient world or Fallout 4 is you like a more post apocalyptical world then either learn to Mod it or better yet use a service like Wabbajack and chose one of the many pre-made Mod Lists ..... You can choose several "vanilla" lore friendly versions with enhanced graphics or if you want something with challenging combat you can get something like ElderSouls modlist ..... For Fallout 4 you also have choices between a Vanilla experience with enhanced graphics or a full on Survival mode or a more crafting/building based experience like Sim Settlements

The cool thing is you can play it one way, delete the mod and download one of the other mods ...... There are tons of extra DLC sized modder creates add-ons too ..... Both games are extremely flexible in that if you want you can completely ignore the main quest and just play side quests and add-on quests ..... In Skyrim you can play as a werewolf, hunt vampires or even become one and fight a civil war and barely even touch on the main quest
Post automatically merged:

Kingdom Come Deliverance - you do have set protagonist but it's an RPG through and through. It's also one of the most immersive games I've ever played: you need to eat, sleep, clean your clothes and armour, learn to read and take time to master the combat system.

That reminds me I snagged a copy of that game when Epic was giving it away for free a few months back, I just need to download and install it ..... That should be a good way to pass a couple of months until they get CP2077 and AC Valhalla fixed so they are playable ..... Nothing ruins a good experience for me than Bugs, I just hate playing buggy games and would rather wait for a good experience than muddle through a bad one just because of FOMO

Last edited:
I would suggest Skyrim SE if you like a mythical ancient world or Fallout 4 is you like a more post apocalyptical world then either learn to Mod it or better yet use a service like Wabbajack and chose one of the many pre-made Mod Lists ..... You can choose several "vanilla" lore friendly versions with enhanced graphics or if you want something with challenging combat you can get something like ElderSouls modlist ..... For Fallout 4 you also have choices between a Vanilla experience with enhanced graphics or a full on Survival mode or a more crafting/building based experience like Sim Settlements

The cool thing is you can play it one way, delete the mod and download one of the other mods ...... There are tons of extra DLC sized modder creates add-ons too ..... Both games are extremely flexible in that if you want you can completely ignore the main quest and just play side quests and add-on quests ..... In Skyrim you can play as a werewolf, hunt vampires or even become one and fight a civil war and barely even touch on the main quest

That reminds me I snagged a copy of that game when Epic was giving it away for free a few months back, I just need to download and install it ..... That should be a good way to pass a couple of months until they get CP2077 and AC Valhalla fixed so they are playable ..... Nothing ruins a good experience for me than Bugs, I just hate playing buggy games and would rather wait for a good experience than muddle through a bad one just because of FOMO

Thank you very much für your suggestions.

If we talk scifie... Prey was quite good.

Made me laugh hard xD

It's quite hard to find a good immersive game with ok to good graphics nowadays. Love pathfinder kingmaker and it seems that Disco elysium is now with also German language. Caves of qud should also be nice.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

Using wikipedia as a source of reference if I'm being honest reduces any hope I have that you can actually speak on the subject. No offense but that's not a source to validate any information so I can only hope any interested party does their own research, perhaps read a novel or two in the genre if they are truly interested.

You mention the dystopian element missing which tells me you know very little about Cyberpunk 2077 itself, the story you are in doesn't need to focus on dystopia. Akira did not nor does Blade runner, both of which you then suggest he watches while attempting to criticize the game for the same thing. Ghost in the Shell is NOT based in a dystopian future at all. Also there's no "cool" factor in the cyberpunk genre, the very description is very limited. You clearly have a gripe but it has nothing to do with the game itself, instead it's whatever fantasy you have that you think makes for a good game.

"Where are the other legendary solos, mercenary, netrunners? ( not just the ones put there by the plot )"

So your comment here is saying they aren't in the game but at the same time they are in the game? I'm not sure by your comments that you have even played the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I like that part of skyrim by the way where you can build a house. And get a wife. That's Immersion how I like it. Maybe some of you guys and girls have also a hint regarding rpg where you can have this except skyrim?

Guest 4375874

Mentions of Observer:
- It is 100% a horror game. Played for the first 3 or so hours and got a headache from all the filters and jump scare effects. Very stylish, claustrophobic and cool, just not my cup of tea. Do try it if you like walking simulators and horror.

Mentions of Skyrim and newer Fallout games:
- Daggerfall was and is still the absolute best iteration of an Elder Scroll setting. Fallout 1&2 were the best isometric RPGs I have ever played. I can recommended them all.
- Needles to say, Bethesda ruined both of these game franchises for me. As stand-alone games Fallout 3 & 4 and Oblivion and Skyrim are good, but when looking at their roots and what their predecessors did, they are all just failures. This is my personal opinion, not bashing on your favorite game should it be any of these, but I just cant recommend any of these newer iterations.

Mention of VTM Bloodlines:
- The original Bloodlines is a true classic and with some modding it can be made bearable for modern standards.
- Works just like DE, except you have vampire powers and a vampire world in "modern" San Francisco. True to the original World of Darkness and the writing and music and everything is just incredible. (if you lived in the early 2000s that is, the old computer screens might throw younger players off)
- I believe this came was one of the first or even the first game to use original source engine? Buggy as hell originally and totally saved by the community working on it up to this day
THANK YOU.....it's quite obvious the majority here don't understand the mechanics involved in gaming which would be fine if they actually were reasonable listeners and open to learning, instead it's a barrage of supposed experts telling the seasoned Devs how the game should be. The difference between a linear game and an open world one is drastic. Furthermore an "open" environment like Skyrim/RDR/Witcher 3 which include empty fields and forestry with a town here and there vs a densely populated city. Frankly the toxic and rage fueled fanbase is the most disappointing thing about this game

Guest 3847602

Go ahead man, game is in pretty good shape now, after years of patching, but it used to be much more buggier than Cyberpunk is for me. Broken quest, missing NPCs, low-res textures, etc...

Top Bottom