Comparable Rpg with Immersion - like Cyberpunk but with heart and substance. Suggestions? (Also comparison and talk a little about Cyberpunk etc.

+
I'll just start with a quote from wikipedia and then move from there:

"Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body. "

Cyberpunk is more "Neo-Punk" than "Cyberpunk", which means is more on the "cool" factor than the dystopic one.
The cyberpunk genre takes you in a corpo-run world, you are a nobody, another number in the sea of digital-information driven mega-cities. Did you feel you've played a game with a dystopic atmosphere in CP2077?
You are the only one with a bike, the only citizen with weapons ( apart from gangs ), you can take selfies and apart from the usual slums citizens in general seems to be quite comfortable living in Night City ( which apparently bases her economy on just sex and VR, let's try to ignore that for a moment ) and steal cars so easily that the police system in Night City could be catalogable as laughable at best.
For better reference, try to watch movies like Ghost in The Shell, Akira, Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. If you don't want/ don't have much time there's a Short, Blade Runner Blackout on Youtube, which is canon and between the two blade runner movies. You'll see what I mean with "lacking dystopic feeling".
Moving into neo-punk ( woah cool we live in a metropolis controlled by corpos and we have no rights whatsoever ) CP2077 ultimately fails to deliver. You can't really customize your body ( visually ), can't even change your hair for god sake! No true body swapping with mechanical parts and cybernetics. Also, why should you be the only capable of doing gigs? Where are the other legendary solos, mercenary, netrunners? ( not just the ones put there by the plot )
There could be much more to say but the post is already getting long enough. If you have another question ask and I shall try to answer.
Can you customize your body visually in Deus Ex? You cant. You cant even make a woman character. And you can't change your outfit in Deus Ex too. But you can change you appearance in Cyberpunk 2077 at the start, change your outfit and you hands visually in the game. Can other NPC do your quests in Deus Ex? I dont think so. I watched all these movies/anime and read all the books. Cyberpunk as a genre is somewhat limited and outdated. Do you want that ALL games/movies/books have all the same stories and dystopic atmosphere? They are all almost the same - "What is "human" in the inhuman world / Can there be soul in the metallic body / aspirations of a person in a world with nowhere to strive / what is the ultimate goal and limit of human progress". Is the dystopic atmosphere is nesesary? Do you want the dystopic atmosphere? We, as humans always want to live happily. It is not so realistic, if we all suffer in the future, simply according to the laws of the genre that a couple of people came up with in their fist stories. There may be darkness in the core, but the beauty outside - it is much more realistic. And i dont really know what "Neo-Punk" is - the google told me, that it is genre of music.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

Can you customize your body visually in Deus Ex? You cant. You cant even make a woman character. And you can't change your outfit in Deus Ex too. But you can change you appearance in Cyberpunk 2077 at the start, change your outfit and you hands visually in the game. Can other NPC do your quests in Deus Ex? I dont think so. I watched all these movies/anime and read all the books. Cyberpunk as a genre is somewhat limited and outdated. Do you want that ALL games/movies/books have all the same stories and dystopic atmosphere? They are all almost the same - "What is "human" in the inhuman world / Can there be soul in the metallic body / aspirations of a person in a world with nowhere to strive / what is the ultimate goal and limit of human progress". Is the dystopic atmosphere is nesesary? Do you want the dystopic atmosphere? We, as humans always want to live happily. It is not so realistic, if we all suffer in the future, simply according to the laws of the genre that a couple of people came up with in their fist stories. There may be darkness in the core, but the beauty outside - it is much more realistic. And i dont really know what "Neo-Punk" is - the google told me, that it is genre of music.
Thank you, Neo punk isn't a thing. I think he's equating it to corporate entities in the genre...the problem is that exists in almost everything he listed. GITS focuses more on socio-political issues, Armitage also has the same social hierarchy where there's some big corporation at the top. Alita Battle Angel, same thing. Even Akira and Bladerunner. It's not a separate thing, it's merely a plot device in most cyberpunk stories. And as you pointed out, Deus Ex is a linear story...you go where the tell you and do what they tell you. These two games shouldn't even be compared, this guy seems to be very confused.

Some things he mentioned would be nice but not very practical for a game like this. Not everyone wants to do all these things he's suggested. It would be great for a niche audience that's super into the genre but that's a small group.

Let’s be honest here. Deus Ex was made in a different era with different priorities. SJW-style surface level “diversity” wasn’t a priority in 2000.

Not that body customization means much gameplay-wise in CP2077 anyway. It just controls which dating path you take ... that’s it. It has no other interaction. Hell, you can’t even see yourself 99% of the time. (It means even less in Deus Ex since its plot doesn’t involve romance at all.)

Deus Ex core strength is its Immersive Sim gameplay.

CP2077 ... what can I say, with such primitive AI ...

For better or worse the cyberpunk genre has a very set aesthetic courtesy of Blade Runner - it's the origin (along with Neuromancer) of the Cyberpunk genre. CP2077 doesn’t do that aesthetic well. It’s was too clean and too open aired. It’s missing core elements like the ever present oppressive rain, everything being damp all the time, and a perpetual overcast. If you don’t fit this very famous aesthetic ... it’s hard to call your product cyberpunk. It's what people want and expect when they hear "cyberpunk" (Also why are indoors so stupid dark? It hard to see much of anything 90% of the time.)

Story-wise ... I guess it fits the themes of cyberpunk, might be too dark for my taste though - personally I find it a tad bit too “gross” and “sickening”. Witcher 3 is probably my limit. At the end of the day it’s just entertainment. I don’t want to walk away from the game with a sinking feeling in my stomach. (It doesn’t help I’m not really in the mood for stuff like this right now given current events.)

Thank you, Neo punk isn't a thing.

No, it's totally a thing. Many modern cyberpunk fiction can be considered neo-cyberpunk in the sense that they "miss the point" - instead of the landscape being this oppressive entity, the cyberpunk city is presented as some sort of wonderland where you are invite to explore.

CP2077 is "confused" IMHO. It doesn't faithfully recreate the traditional cyberpunk aesthetic yet at the same time attempts to appeal to traditional cyberpunk tropes.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, either do a topical modern "cyberpunk" (in which you can't really use the label cyberpunk anymore; it would just be speculative sci fi with "cyberpunk" being more or less what we call speculative sci fic of the 80s) or do a full throwback recreation of traditional cyberpunk as we know it.

Last edited:

Of course I don't want the same story, that would be pretty moronic.

"..."What is "human" in the inhuman world / Can there be soul in the metallic body / aspirations of a person in a world with nowhere to strive / what is the ultimate goal and limit of human progress". Is the dystopic atmosphere is nesesary? Do you want the dystopic atmosphere? We, as humans always want to live happily. It is not so realistic, if we all suffer in the future, simply according to the laws of the genre that a couple of people came up with in their fist stories."

I can't even understand what your point is, but if the entire plot of CP2077 was that deep, man, what a different game it would be. Also, no point in customizing my nail or giving myself a penis if I never see my character or it just changes who I have sex with. That is a shallow and childish approach to just cater to an audience that wants too see boobs and butts as the myriad of photo mode shoots of Panam's butt have already proven.
The Cyberpunk genre IS DYSTOPIC it doesn't mean that you have to approach the DYSTOPIA IN THE SAME WAY AS THE OTHERS. Also, the beauty is outside...that depends on your taste honestly.

I read a review where CP2077's story is described as "engaging but ultimately forgettable". From what I have seen, it's a fair description. Not sure why/how it ended up like this though.
I can think of a few possible scenarios, but the most likely: The whole biochip/dead rockerboy plot was just one of many longer side quests originally planned for the game... and it probably had many more, but less (to the player) severe autcomes... I still think the game originally had no center narrative like that, following a more episodic, "from rags to riches as a merc in Night City" game structure, where you took on big and small missions, gaining and loosing allies, building your street cred, etc. The whole "I want to make it in this city" theme that's, well, still everywhere in the game, is pretty clear evidence of that...

Dragon Age inquisition.
Hard at max difficulty.
Long campaign + secondary quest (100H+)
Deep char customization
Exploration,dungeon,secrets.
Hard boss fight
Good graphic.

Give it a try, also remember to add the .exe as exception inside your Antivirus or it wont start.
To bad this game doesn't have campaign 4 player COOP or it would have been a blast.It has MP but not for the campaign.

OR

Get GrimDawn+ expansion
You can easily sink 1k hours and still have build to try out, everything that a good ARPG hack n slash need, this game has.
Mods, 4 players coop campaign.

Huh? What exactly does CP do better? Deus Ex had a more impactful cybernetics system, a better itemization/gear system, "better", more involved hacking (not talking about quickhacks), faaa-aaa-aaar superior enemy AI,... yea, I guess that's enough, isn't it?

One thing those Deus Ex games DEFINITELY did better was the male VA.

Ahem that out of the way, I didn't play the second one so I can't speak to it, but one thing Deus Ex HR did that drove me INSANE was that awful cutscene type bullshit for certain abilities that pulled you out of first person. HORRIBLE decision there imo. What I do vastly prefer about CP over Deux Ex is the characters, and the weird af side missions you find yourself doing. But I do recognize I tend to be outnumbered in my mentality of "story/characters first, gameplay second." A good or at the very least interesting story with interesting characters can hold my attention if the gameplay isn't great. The other way around not so much.

One thing those Deus Ex games DEFINITELY did better was the male VA.

Ahem that out of the way, I didn't play the second one so I can't speak to it, but one thing Deus Ex HR did that drove me INSANE was that awful cutscene type bullshit for certain abilities that pulled you out of first person. HORRIBLE decision there imo. What I do vastly prefer about CP over Deux Ex is the characters, and the weird af side missions you find yourself doing. But I do recognize I tend to be outnumbered in my mentality of "story/characters first, gameplay second." A good or at the very least interesting story with interesting characters can hold my attention if the gameplay isn't great. The other way around not so much.
Yea, although - in the main story department - CP is nothing to write home about either... the whole biochip dilemma just feels like something that should happen to somebody else in a side quest, not the player character. The rest of the cast is better then in Deus Ex', atleast.

As for the male VA: Obviously... both JC Denton and Adam "Bat Man" Jensen are better characters then male V by far... to me personally, V is canon female anyways, not even a competition.

Last edited:
Yea, although - in the main story department - CP is nothing to write home about either... the whole biochip dilemma just feels like something that should happen to somebody else in a side quest, not the player character. The rest of the cast is better then in Deus Ex', atleast.

oh you're absolutely right about the main story. It's, save for johnny silverhand's arc, serviceable. definitely not the worst, definitely not the best, just...serviceable. Really, I need to go back and play those Deus Ex games it's been a hot minute, and at the time of their release I had a computer that could barely make it through them.

Skyrim, Vakhalla, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk? Baring rare glitches Cyberpunk is awesome, it ticks your requirements, not sure why your posting that Q on here
Post automatically merged:

Skyrim, Vakhalla, Witcher 3, Cyberpunk? Baring rare glitches Cyberpunk is awesome, it ticks your requirements, not sure why your posting that Q on here?

Let’s be honest here. Deus Ex was made in a different era with different priorities. SJW-style surface level “diversity” wasn’t a priority in 2000.

Not that body customization means much gameplay-wise in CP2077 anyway. It just controls which dating path you take ... that’s it. It has no other interaction. Hell, you can’t even see yourself 99% of the time. (It means even less in Deus Ex since its plot doesn’t involve romance at all.)

Deus Ex core strength is its Immersive Sim gameplay.

CP2077 ... what can I say, with such primitive AI ...

For better or worse the cyberpunk genre has a very set aesthetic courtesy of Blade Runner - it's the origin (along with Neuromancer) of the Cyberpunk genre. CP2077 doesn’t do that aesthetic well. It’s was too clean and too open aired. It’s missing core elements like the ever present oppressive rain, everything being damp all the time, and a perpetual overcast. If you don’t fit this very famous aesthetic ... it’s hard to call your product cyberpunk. It's what people want and expect when they hear "cyberpunk" (Also why are indoors so stupid dark? It hard to see much of anything 90% of the time.)

Story-wise ... I guess it fits the themes of cyberpunk, might be too dark for my taste though - personally I find it a tad bit too “gross” and “sickening”. Witcher 3 is probably my limit. At the end of the day it’s just entertainment. I don’t want to walk away from the game with a sinking feeling in my stomach. (It doesn’t help I’m not really in the mood for stuff like this right now given current events.)

No, it's totally a thing. Many modern cyberpunk fiction can be considered neo-cyberpunk in the sense that they "miss the point" - instead of the landscape being this oppressive entity, the cyberpunk city is presented as some sort of wonderland where you are invite to explore.

CP2077 is "confused" IMHO. It doesn't faithfully recreate the traditional cyberpunk aesthetic yet at the same time attempts to appeal to traditional cyberpunk tropes.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, either do a topical modern "cyberpunk" (in which you can't really use the label cyberpunk anymore; it would just be speculative sci fi with "cyberpunk" being more or less what we call speculative sci fic of the 80s) or do a full throwback recreation of traditional cyberpunk as we know it.
SJW-style? What are you talking about? Deus Ex Human revolution? Blade Runner isn't a cyberpunk at all. It is closer to biopunk - there are no anything "cyber" in the movie lol. As for styles - It is the style of the origin movie. And thats it. If you want to make a new Cyberpunk game, you dont have to copy someone else's work. CP2077 does do its own aesthetic well. Missing stereotypes, you wanted to say? Everything needs a progress, and the genres - too. Or it will be a way to copying and stagnation.

Of course I don't want the same story, that would be pretty moronic.

"..."What is "human" in the inhuman world / Can there be soul in the metallic body / aspirations of a person in a world with nowhere to strive / what is the ultimate goal and limit of human progress". Is the dystopic atmosphere is nesesary? Do you want the dystopic atmosphere? We, as humans always want to live happily. It is not so realistic, if we all suffer in the future, simply according to the laws of the genre that a couple of people came up with in their fist stories."

I can't even understand what your point is, but if the entire plot of CP2077 was that deep, man, what a different game it would be. Also, no point in customizing my nail or giving myself a penis if I never see my character or it just changes who I have sex with. That is a shallow and childish approach to just cater to an audience that wants too see boobs and butts as the myriad of photo mode shoots of Panam's butt have already proven.
The Cyberpunk genre IS DYSTOPIC it doesn't mean that you have to approach the DYSTOPIA IN THE SAME WAY AS THE OTHERS. Also, the beauty is outside...that depends on your taste honestly.
Why you cant understand it? Thats all the typical motives of the "cyberpunk" genre, which have been used 100 times already. That's all stereotypes, not the rules. There are only one truly great Deus Ex game, and that is the first one.

Last edited:
SJW-style? What are you talking about? Deus Ex Human revolution? Blade Runner isn't a cyberpunk at all. It is closer to biopunk - there are no anything "cyber" in the movie lol. As for styles - It is the style of the origin movie. And thats it. If you want to make a new Cyberpunk game, you dont have to copy someone else's work. CP2077 does do its own aesthetic well. Missing stereotypes, you wanted to say? Everything needs a progress, and the genres - too. Or it will be a way to copying and stagnation.

Why you cant understand it? Thats all the typical motives of the "cyberpunk" genre, which have been used 100 times already. That's all stereotypes, not the rules. There are only one truly great Deus Ex game, and that is the first one.

Are you joking? You are implying that CP2077 doesn't copy anything and it's actually "progress" while it is a failure mainly because it's a jack of trades master of none, copying from many sources at the same time and messing up.
I can't understand your answer. Do you think that CP2077 is a step forward on the cyberpunk genre because it purposely dodge the usual tropes and topics? Did you even play the game? Everything need to progress, you are right, but where is the progress here? A GTA in the future? That's your idea of cyberpunk? Transfering your consciousness is a progress/novelty?
Do I have to remind you of the entire Ghost in The Shell serie or Altered Carbon ( few of the many examples I could have give to you ).
Also, Blade runner isn't cyberpunk at all... Man :giveup: that's embarassing.
I am all ears about the "revolutionary and innovative takes" that CP2077 did about the entire cyberpunk genre.

Top Bottom