Compendium of QoL issues after 60 hours

+
This isn't about all the content the game was supposed to have, or the abysmal lack of character customization. This is QoL issues in the game we have now.
If you want to add to it, please do! But rants about off-topic subjects are pointless and not constructive here. Join a rant thread, there's plenty o' those. This thread should be about Quality-of-Life issues in what we have now - not new features or functionality.

• The minimap. This is hurting you. It's so zoomed in and can't be changed - I should be looking at the detailed city environs you hung your hat on with this game. Instead I am staring at 4-bit Turtle Graphics dotted line because if I watch the actual road for 3 seconds I have missed my turn. So your customers are missing out on one of your strengths and instead getting bored and frustrated.
    Poll on minimap here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/minimap-suck.11046164/ (not started by me). No one likes it. This should be easy to fix. Zoom it out for starters or, better yet, give it OPTIONS like software in 2020 should have.
  • Stores and location all being called "Store." WTF? Bad enough the inventories are so randomized - I can't remember if this Clothing Store is the same Clothing Store I've already looked at three times in this daycycle or not. Is text labeling out of the budget now? Name the damn stores on the map, and all the other locations that just have generic labels too. Effect: looking for anything I want to track down, going back to the same place, making sure to check different places - all really frickin' annoying.
  • Fix the tooltip bug. 75% of the weapons i pick up or craft have lost their tooltip. I can't see their stats, I can't see if I crafted a good one or a dud, I can't tell if what I just picked up is any good - does this really have to be explained? How does this bug make it into release let alone FIVE hotfixes later????
  • Itemization is nonsensical and inconsistent. This blue item has mod slots, that one doesn't. This epic item has 30 less armor than that green item. The colors and "levels" are meaningless at this point. Someone seriously needs to make a pass over how item stats and characteristics are generated to make some damn sense, because there's no sense of upgrade or progression, just chaos. Any random thing might be better than any other random thing regardless of its supposed "quality." And on that note -
    • Will this scope go on my gun? Which guns does it fit on? Ok, this scope says "sniper scope," but why won't this sight go on my revolver? Items and mods should be clear about what they go with, scopes and muzzles - saving, buying something, it doesn't fit, reload - tedious and annoying.
    • Schematics should show the stats of the thing they let you make. No-brainer, c'mon now.
  • Bring some order to store inventories.Visiting literally every store on the map (WHICH ARE ALL NAMED "STORE" FFS) to see if I can find an armor or weapon mod - not even knowing if it exists in game yet or if i'm the right level for the vendor to show it to me - is an abysmal experience. Half my gear has empty mod slots because I have nothing to fill them with and no clear path to obtaining either the mods themselves or the schematics to make my own. Once you name the stores on the map properly, some consistency in what they sell will make shopping less tedious. Getting a new item should be exciting, not "welp guess i'll spend 30 minutes trying to track down some mods for it now how boring."
    • Unlocking new items and finding stuff I didn't know existed IS cool and exciting, FWIW - "i can install electric blades on my Mantis arms?!" - but finding, say, a decent scope for my new sniper rifle should not be a matter of pure RNG and playing Store Roulette.
  • There's a little too much bullet-sponge going on. Playing on hard should not be, well, easy.... but emptying 3,786 headshots into some dude and then having them one-shot me is just not enjoyable. Retune the NPCs a little, yeah? I mean literally a dozen headshots into a dude with no visible head protection just to have them obliterate me in one doink doesn't feel - dare I say it - immersive. Harder difficulties should mean more active and varied AI, not "multiply their health by 20 and call it a day."
At 10 hours in, not gonna lie, I was a little annoyed.
By 30 hours I found more of the depth and experience of the stories and atmosphere you put into the game and would recommend the game on its own terms as-is - the missing content and features being a separate issue which you still should address. I'm not going to get into what you "should have" made, in this post.

But the above QoL issues are interfering with the game you DID make, and I strongly believe that fixing them will eliminate a lot of frustration and make the game a much more rewarding experience in its current state.
Post automatically merged:

Oh yeah geez how could i forget.

HIDE HELMET

please

so many ugly hats...... why bother having any hairstyles at all when you never see it again after char creation.....

Last edited:

Juyo

Forum regular
  • A way to upgrade multiples of lower-level crafting materials would be really welcome - once you've unlocked the relevant perk in the crafting tree, it's incredibly frustrating to have to click and hold your mouse down for each individual bundle of materials you want to convert to one of the higher level items.
  • It'd also be really useful if there was an indicator when the 'free craft'/or 'free upgrade' perks activated, as at the moment all that happens is you don't see your materials cache deplete, which is easy to miss and makes the perks feel almost invisible despite it actually being pretty nice!
  • The Mantis Arms 'finisher'/heavy attack animation is too long for my liking - especially when leaping into a large group of enemies with guns, it's really jarring that your character would stand there while being shot at to take the time to lift a guy up on the blades in an agonisingly slow way - I know you don't take damage during the animation but it kills the flow! I know it's probably asking a lot, but it'd feel more immersive if there was one heavy attack animation for the Mantis Arms while you're fighting multiple foes, and a different one (similar/the same as the current finisher animation) for when you kill the last enemy in the group you're currently fighting. Presumably with Mantis Arms the fantasy is that you're a swift and deadly assassin zipping around the battlefield dismembering your foes - the stab-and-lift animation doesn't deliver that currently (especially as there are often clipping issues and/or no body on the end of your blades!)
  • Don't know if it's just me being inept (entirely likely!), but I've yet to figure out how to make the Superhero Landing with Berserk work - tried jumping off buildings, dropping off ledges but it doesn't seem to have activated so some clarity on the input/more consistent would be welcome.
  • I feel like the two leg-related cyberware items should significantly reduce fall damage - especially if the fall is following a powered jump/double jump - your character has cybernetically reinforced ankles, it just isn't immersive to have them faceplant and splatter the pavement with blood when falling a relatively short distance.
  • I really wish there weren't so many explosive barrels/tins/bottles/cannisters everywhere - near almost every assault or crime, are lots of things you can easily get one-shotted by just by taking cover next to one without even noticing it until the enemy blows it up.
I imagine these are all quite far down the list of things to do, given the number of pretty serious bugs that need fixing, but I figured I'd capture some of my thoughts so far given Spacefiddle provided the platform :)

A way to upgrade multiples
GOD YES HOW DID I FORGET THIS ONE
Hey I think i'll make 20 grenades from this neat schematic I found. Kill me......

> I feel like the two leg-related cyberware items should significantly reduce fall damage

They don't???? o_O how.... I have HYDRAULIC LEGS, how can they not red- i'll be in the car. Yeah, this shoulda been a no-brainer. Fortunately, if anyone can actually be arsed to do it, adding this effect would be trivial.

HIDE HELMET

please

so many ugly hats...... why bother having any hairstyles at all when you never see it again after char creation.....
The irony is the V in the trailers and on the game cover doesnt have a helmet, but a lovely quaff instead...we got the special bus V's

Juyo

Forum regular
The irony is the V in the trailers and on the game cover doesnt have a helmet, but a lovely quaff instead...we got the special bus V's

I've not worn a helmet or hat through the entire game - maybe why I've died so much even on normal - presumably if we can headshot the enemies, they can headshot us, and I leave my noggin exposed because I'm vain! I'd wear a headband, if it didn't strip my hair off, but a hide helmet option would be parfait!

@spacefiddle - leg mods don't reduce fall damage as far as I can tell at least, and don't say they do on the icon/description, so I assume they don't, but I could be wrong!

I'm pretty sure that locational coverage means f!k-all. Where I am in the game now, i have around 700 points of armor, and that 40 points from my ugly hat probably won't make THAT much of a difference... buuut... I'm playing on Hard and while lots of stuff can 1-shot you, I'd still feel pretty dumb if that 40 points made the difference between 1-shot and 2-shot, so to speak.

I did find some nifty animated visor thing which I'm keeping, but.... y'know maybe it's time for some rough tests. Find a group of jerks, save game, aggro with both with and sans helmet, see if there's any noticeable life expectency difference....

I mean 90% of the targets I shoot at have no headgear whatsoever and still don't go down after I empty a clip into their skulls so eh. Still and all, i'd rather have the option and use the slot for more mods.....

Upgrading weapons to keep up with current player's level seems to demand more and more resources for each iteration, which makes no sense in upgrading at all - it is cheaper to just pick up random weapons or craft new ones.

As Void says - the increase in weapons and ESPECIALLY armor, for each tier of upgrade, is not even CLOSE to the value of the components used in doing it, it's really bad. Not worth at all. Worse, some weapons are clearly far better for upgrading than others (the leap per iteration is much greater, there's a huge spread).

Just thought of some more stuff -

- For things that charge, WHY is there NOTHING on my screen that shows the level? The boost-jump ankles (wheeeeee!) and power attacks are two things that come to mind. OK, hold the button to charge.... should i let go now? How about now? Am I at max yet? Is there any point to keep hanging on here????

Seriously, bad UI is one thing - but NO UI? that's a new one to me. Add a charge meter for things that charge and I don't believe I'm actually having to request this.

- Speaking of no UI, shouldn't the image of the vehicles for sale be IN the journal entries? I've got like 2 dozen cars here people wanna sell me and I have no idea which is what until I dig thru my messages to find the original image. That's silly. Shouldn't be in two places; the Journal entry should have the vehicle image.

Last edited:
Here's my major quality of life gripe; when you look in the mirror V's head is at a stupid angle and you have to point the mouse to the top of the screen to get a front on view and that means you're cutting off the lower part of the mirror. It drives me crazy every time, why does V need to stare into the mirror like some edgy scene kid, why can't he just look into the mirror like a normal person god DAMN IT.

Juyo

Forum regular
I'm pretty sure that locational coverage means f!k-all. Where I am in the game now, i have around 700 points of armor, and that 40 points from my ugly hat probably won't make THAT much of a difference... buuut... I'm playing on Hard and while lots of stuff can 1-shot you, I'd still feel pretty dumb if that 40 points made the difference between 1-shot and 2-shot, so to speak.

I did find some nifty animated visor thing which I'm keeping, but.... y'know maybe it's time for some rough tests. Find a group of jerks, save game, aggro with both with and sans helmet, see if there's any noticeable life expectency difference....

I mean 90% of the targets I shoot at have no headgear whatsoever and still don't go down after I empty a clip into their skulls so eh. Still and all, i'd rather have the option and use the slot for more mods.....

Playing on normal and I was getting nearly one-shot from time to time, especially when fighting those bloody robots ("PACIFYING") , I've just assumed they headshot me rather than always hitting particularly hard, but as you say, some testing of locational armour would be sensible - I'm applying real-world principles to my understanding of the way armour works in the game and that's not always the best move!

Moar Stuff as I'm discovering them....

- The additional pads you get are a nice touch and all, but they aren't fully functional for some weird reason. Like ferinstance the Nomad Camp "apartment" has the silly useless mirror I can goggle my eyes at all I want, but the bed right there doesn't do anything? Kinda silly innit? And it's more convenient to walk up to the bed and hit one button to sleep, than to fiddle with the skip time in the Inventory screen. To say nothing of a heck of a lot cooler, more immersive and interesting.
- Using the boost-jump ankles should have V scream "wheeeeee!"
- ok not really just seeing if you were paying attention

Last edited:
Top Bottom