Competitive Cursed Deck

+
Competitive Cursed Deck

So I haven't really seen many people using or talking about the Svalblod/Cursed units since the Gold Immunity update. Which is strange because the Cursed deck is one of the best Skellige decks going right now in my opinion.

Right now I'm at 3600mmr and I'm winning about 75% of my games.

In this deck your main assets are your Berserker Marauders, and the aim of the game is to get out as many cursed units out as possible and then try and damage them all, then your Berserker marauders can come out to play giving you some really decent value.

What's nice about this deck is that you're not overly reliant on cards in your graveyard, so Monster & NG decks are going to have a harder time countering you.

Useful Cards:

Skjall - Comes with the cursed tag and summons another Bronze or Silver cursed unit, nice high tempo play and sets you up well for a berserker.

Morkvarg & Olgierd - Both Cursed and both resurrect themselves, you don't have to be too afraid to damage them.

Clan Tordarroch Armorsmith - Great for getting units back up to full value after taking a chunk of damage, a good defence against weather.

Crach an Craite & Djenge Frett - Good combo for a power swing & lets you damage two units on your side for some nice synergy with Berserker Marauders.

Clan an Craite Warcrier - This one is pretty self explanatory, once you've got your berserkers out there this card is gonna be the one to boost them like crazy.

---

I think what makes this deck work so well however is that people aren't expecting it, this deck utilises some of the most under-utilised cards in the game so it often catches people off guard.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Only yesterday have i seen someone using one, but i think he might have had a terrible hand or was still optimizing the deck, because even with me not messing his strategy in any way, he still managed to do poorly (i think i was using my self damaging deck, which also uses warcriers and Morkie)

I might try a Cursed deck, i hate seeing cards not used by anyone, specially when they got potential.

I've actually swapped out Djenge Fett as I was struggling against the monster decks that would use him against me, added a D-bomb in to try and counter the Merigold Hailstorms.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Cabowse Yeah, Djenge is great, but if you're faced against Monsters, he will probably get stolen by Caretaker, Succubus or consumed by Katakan.

And i never know if i should focus on Warcriers, to boost my damaged units, or the smiths that heal those same units, doesnt feel right to go for both on the same deck...

DRK3 It's a pretty good idea to pack both, I tend to use armorsmiths as a way to negate damage that a unit has taken from weather, and to protect high value targets from the enemy. I only pack one warcrier now as I only use him on my berserkers, but if you can use him on an early round you still have him there in your graveyard if you need him again.

I am a big believer of the value of armorsmiths though (especially since the update), they're situational but you can often create that situation for yourself, and because they're used so rarely people never see it coming.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Cabowse Yeah, using cards that people dont expect is generally a good idea. But i find it that the opponent also never expects to use warcriers twice in a row, it might be even better to catch them offguard.

I won a match just now by using curse+greatsword deck, opponent Emyr spies are delicious! Yumyum!

I hope herbalist spawn card instead of play card, or there is some way to duplicate Blood curdling roar :D

Cabowse;n9573551 said:
Since posting this I've seen 2 to 3 people playing this deck! I'm not alone! :D

If any famous gwent youtuber use it, I'm sure a lot of player will use it. :p

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im using the Cursed Deck more often too. The Greatsword is not that essential and i can put big numbers with other bronzes, then buff them with warcries. Only problem is those pesky Monster GY diggers...

DRK3;n9588861 said:
Im using the Cursed Deck more often too. The Greatsword is not that essential and i can put big numbers with other bronzes, then buff them with warcries. Only problem is those pesky Monster GY diggers...

Yeah they'll hit you hard if you're using DJ Frett, same with Katakan. Always a good idea to pre-empt it, maybe bring along a Necromancy to take him out of the equation?

So my trusty curse deck isn't completely original.... I never see it used tbh.

I'm sitting at rank 18. Bouncing around 3800 points with about 70% win ratio using this deck(Crach an Craite). Skjall being the key card. i actually don't use Morkvarg & Olgierd I don't think there worth the precious silver spot. Feedback is welcome.

Ideal play goes as follows
1. Summon Skjall, ideally pulling a raging beserker.
2. Use decoy on Skjall, If no decoy in hand. Try to get Skjall destroyed a.s.a.p to restore or revive. Ideally pulling A Raging Beserker.
3. Leader Card into Djene Frete, using the beserkers this creates 32 power from a single play.
4. Pass for a nice CA or play in with Marauders into Warcriers.

Keycards

Golds -
Ermion - Staple for all Skellige decks really
VABJORN - Only Gold card with curse.

Silvers-
SKJALL- probably most influentual card, Drawin on first turn = massive tempo play
RESTORE - often best used to restore skjall from discard for a second use.
SIGRDRIFA - Skellige staple really, can be used to revive Skjall optimally after having already done so with restore.
DJENGE FRETE - Completes the Tempo play

BRONZE-
Beserker Maruaders x 3 - Staple card
Raging Beserker x 2-3 - when used with Djenge Frett creates Tempo that 9/10 cannot be caught without losing CA and have the curse tag to boot.
Clan an Craite Warcrier x 1 - boost those Beserkers
Clan an Craite Armoursmith x 1 - recover damage from weather/ removal. the meta is rife with it.

Priestess of Freya x 3 - staple skellige card.
Stammelford tremors - backup Beserker trigger, synergises with Hunters if used and most importantly damages every ally to boost your marauders when played. I have been able to get my maurauders upto 25+ before using warcriers but more often then not they coume out at 18+.

Honourable mentions - Cards that i often swap in and out, This is where i would like some feedback if possible)
Gold -
VABJORN - Only Gold card with curse. Nice removal But there are better options... perhaps Eskel or Lugos
Gaunter O'Dimm - Personal touch (often used in my decks) due to the importance of Skjall. I found him to be my saving grace when my mulligan fail to produce. Risky to a point. I get the guess right about 75-80% of the time. Risk is mitigated by the High Tempo created from your main combo that losing is not too bad.

Silver-
DorreGaray - Can create savage bears which not only are cursed but can set up Vabjorn. Alternatively can create ekkimara to consume Skjall to be re-used.
Decoy - Multiple viable uses (skjall, Sigfrieda, Preistess of freya, Dorregaray and DjengeFrete). just not sure if it's overkill and could be replaced with something else.

BRONZE-
Clan Brokarvar Hunter x 2 - Decent Removal/ Beserker trigger in a pinch. Also if played with the
Beserkers increases the potential power gain. And often a great target for Armoursmith, as his strength can be deceptively high.

Aflickted;n9684461 said:
VABJORN - Only Gold card with curse.

Why does it matter that he has the cursed tag? The card itself is pretty circumstantial. It's not worth it just for the Marauder.

Aflickted;n9684461 said:
i actually don't use Morkvarg & Olgierd I don't think there worth the precious silver spot.

You use Olgierd to counter a dry pass in round 2, if you've lost round 1. This means Olgierd could count as having one card advantage.

[/QUOTE]Why does it matter that he has the cursed tag? The card itself is pretty circumstantial. It's not worth it just for the Marauder.[/QUOTE]

Lol I am aware of the cards abilities, I think if you read the title of the topic you can answer this question yourself. =p

[/QUOTE]
You use Olgierd to counter a dry pass in round 2, if you've lost round 1. This means Olgierd could count as having one card advantage.[/QUOTE]

I have used him before as the extra curse unit is nice, but i think Doregeray allows more flexibility, as ekkimarra can serve as a counter to dry passing round 2, or i can spawn in a savage bear and set up VABJORN

Cabowse;n9541161 said:
I've actually swapped out Djenge Fett as I was struggling against the monster decks that would use him against me, added a D-bomb in to try and counter the Merigold Hailstorms.
This is something I have considered myself. Perhaps even throwing perhaps using gold vesimer to pull it. How has swapping in D-bomb worked out?

Last edited:
I've been thinking of throwing in Regis :higher vampire to counter monter decks stealing my Djene. i'll see how it goes

Cabowse;n9536461 said:
So I haven't really seen many people using or talking about the Svalblod/Cursed units since the Gold Immunity update. Which is strange because the Cursed deck is one of the best Skellige decks going right now in my opinion.

[...]

I think what makes this deck work so well however is that people aren't expecting it, this deck utilises some of the most under-utilised cards in the game so it often catches people off guard.

Interesting.
I have a very similar deck (in fact, that's a cursed deck too. I just have a slightly different configuration) and I'm agree that it's a very good deck. At least it performs very well for me (much better than I first expected).

Just a question, you mentioned you're playing with Armorsmith AND warcrier. Is that not too much?
I mean, I'm currently playing with WC only (which I may end up changing with armorsmith quiet frankly because, when they can be awesome in some matchup/situation they can also be very awkward and they get worse against good players which tend to play around and reduce their value to a point where you wish you have another card in hand. Armorsmith have a lower potential in general but they always get value (even more if your opponent expect you to play with WC...which had a nice little mindgame aspect to the deck)).

Olgierd and Mork are great because you're getting an extra two cursed units each round (damage them and thats an extra 4 strength for each Marauder), and as 4RM3D mentioned you can counter a dry pass on round 2.

I wouldn't say the priestesses are so much of a staple in this deck, you only really need 1 or 2 of them as most of your units are regressing.

GenLiu When you're dealing with so many damaged units it's good to have the WC and Armorsmith, WC is only really useful for DJ / Marauders in this deck, where as the Armoursmith is useful for all of your units, especially against weather. I say pack both because you will need them for different reasons.

Cabowse;n9688361 said:
Olgierd and Mork are great because you're getting an extra two cursed units each round (damage them and thats an extra 4 strength for each Marauder), and as 4RM3D mentioned you can counter a dry pass on round 2.

I wouldn't say the priestesses are so much of a staple in this deck, you only really need 1 or 2 of them as most of your units are regressing.

GenLiu When you're dealing with so many damaged units it's good to have the WC and Armorsmith, WC is only really useful for DJ / Marauders in this deck, where as the Armoursmith is useful for all of your units, especially against weather. I say pack both because you will need them for different reasons.
Okay I guess I will make some testing and find the best combination considering my taste and gameplan.
Thanks for the advice.

Cabowse;n9573551 said:
Since posting this I've seen 2 to 3 people playing this deck! I'm not alone! :D

Bit late to the party, but I'm also trying to put together a decent cursed/beast deck. It isn't, however, realy working out so far. I think one of my main issues is that I have too many cards in my deck and because of that I think I can't really play the full extent of my deck. Problem is I don't really see which cards I could leave out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
So far I have:

Golds:
-Triss
-Ermion
-Royal Decree (I'm thinking about cutting this one, since this deck doesn't really rely on gold cards)

Silver:
- Derran (not actually that usefull but it's another cursed card in the game which boosts my marauders)
- Sigrdrifa
- Dudu (also thinking about cutting this one, but a few times this made the difference for me, so not really sure about this)
- Decoy
- Commanders Horn

Bronze:
- 3x Clan Warrior
- 2x Savage Bear
- 3x Raging Berserker
- 3x Berserker Marauder
- 2x Clan Archer
- 2x Battle Maiden
- 3x Priestess Of Freya
- 3x Clan Beastmaster

Specials:
- 2x First Light (feel like cutting these as well, but I guess I need some protection against weather effects)
- Mahakam Ale
- 3x Bone Talisman

I've read the post about the cursed deck based on Skjall, so I hope to soon have Skjall and Vabjorn myself, but it's pretty hard to craft them :p
Soooooo any advice regarding my deck or cursed decks in general would be very welcome :)

Top Bottom