Competitive ruling: wangid2021

+

After investigating reports about suspicious behavior on the ranked ladder during the "Season of the Dryad", we have found that player Li “wangid2021” Nipao received unwarranted victories from the players forfeiting to him with a purpose to improve his position on the ladder. Such activity violates paragraph 12.3(a) of GWENT Masters ruleset:

12.3. Cheating. Cheating of any kind will not be tolerated and includes (but is not limited to) any of the following, whether actual, attempted, direct, indirect, intentional or otherwise:

a) match-fixing, colluding with others (which includes without limitation sharing prize money with other Participants) or taking any action intended to alter or interfere with the results of any part of the GWENT Masters

While we don’t have on-record evidence suggesting that wangid2021 was requesting other players to forfeit, our analysis of match history and replays showed the abnormally high rate of unwarranted victories received from such players (including multiple victories against player 五花瞟 banned earlier for the manipulation with the pro-ladder results in the same season). Other top pro players’ match history was also checked during this investigation, but no violations were confirmed.

Given the information above and the fact that wangid2021 didn’t reveal this situation to GWENT Masters authorities, we’ve concluded that his behavior was, in fact, collusion with other players and, thus, in violation of paragraph 12.3 of the Rules.

To protect the integrity of “Season of the Dryad” results we’ve made a decision to issue sanctions against this player according to paragraph 14.3 of GWENT Masters ruleset:

14.3. Sanctions. CD PROJEKT RED and its Affiliates may at its discretion impose sanctions for any breaches (whether actual, attempted, directly, indirectly, intentionally or otherwise) of these Rules and the GWENT User Agreement. Sanctions available include (but are not limited to):

c) deducting Crown Points (in whole or in part);

Since 3.7% of matches played by Wangid2021 were found in violation of rule 12.3, 400 (3.7% of the total) MMR will be deducted from his “Season of the Dryad” score. This change will also result in -15 Crown Points granted for top-200 placement, leaving wangid2021 with the final number of 240 Crown points scored in Season 3.

With this change, wangid2021 won’t receive the invitation to participate in World Masters S3 as he will not have enough Crown Points to make it to top-4.

We’d like to use this opportunity to remind every player that attempts to manipulate ranked ladder results will not be tolerated. Both sides, players intentionally forfeiting as well as players getting free wins from these actions, are bound only to lose from engaging in this activity.

“While we don’t have on-record evidence suggesting that wangid2021 was requesting other players to forfeit”
Punishment without evidence? Is that mean someone could easily ruin a professional player efforts if someone willfully concede to him in ranking-match?

Wangid is a powerful player and I enjoy watching his matches.
1. Is it fair to punish someone without any clear evidence? How can you say that wangid intends to cheat by only showing a rate of 3.7% of forfeiting on data? I think 1 in 30 players I met in Prorank forfeit is quite normal.
2. Since 3.7% of the matches are won by forfeiting, why don't you deduce these MMR in the part above 9600 since 9600 is the basic? This is really unreasonable. I believe CDPR just want some powerful Chinese players get out of the Master S3.
Post automatically merged:

Wangid is a powerful player and I enjoy watching his matches.
1. Is it fair to punish someone without any clear evidence? How can you say that wangid intends to cheat by only showing a rate of 3.7% of forfeiting on data? I think 1 in 30 players I met in Prorank forfeit is quite normal.
2. Since 3.7% of the matches are won by forfeiting, why don't you deduce these MMR in the part above 9600 since 9600 is the basic? This is really unreasonable. I believe CDPR just want some powerful Chinese players get out of the Master S3.
Coincidently, deduce 3.7% from the total MMR(which I believe is extremely not reasonable) just make Wangid fall out of the Master S3. Then who can even believe that this is for the fairness of Gwent competition?

Did Wangid cheat?

From what I see in this ruling and the previous related one, together with discussions on Reddit, the known fact is that Wangid was streaming and encountered players who soft-played multiple times. So far, there's no confirmed connection between the soft-players and Wangid himself. In this case, without further investigation, I don't think it's proper to consider Wangid a cheater. But I agree that those MMRs he received from the soft-players are unfair to other competitors and should be deducted.

It seems that this is also what CDPR thinks given the punishment has no account ban and the crown point deduction is only partial for that season. But actually, this case goes beyond what CDPR plans for competitive misbehavior, and I think this ruling is problematic in that:

1) CDPR composes the ruling with rules they set for cheating but whether Wangid cheats is unknown and the way they punish him indicates that this is not treated as cheating. Then, the wording of this ruling is damaging Wangid's reputation. According to some comments from the Chinese community, Wangid is a victim in this incident and I don't deny this possibility.

2) The way CDPR calculates the crown points deduction is highly questionable for reasons mentioned in the other posts. If CDPR chooses to currently treat Wangid as innocent and only deducts unfair MMRs, they should calculate the deduction carefully and reveal the materials or evidence they have to justify the amount of deduction. This current punishment seems to find whatever way to get Wangid out of Masters next month. I know this is convenient and probably "optimal" considering that this ruling makes many people view Wangid as a cheater who should definitely not appear in Masters. But, if CDPR is really serious about competitive fairness, they should reconsider how to deal with this issue.

CDPR and GOG need better controls, so issues like this won't happen in the first place.

If there has been a fake account, claiming to be Player Xiang “五花膘” Xianling aka PorkBelly, how is it even possible that two different accounts have the same name?

Edit:
五花瞟 vs 五花膘.png

Suggestions:
  • Banning Forfeits:
    The first Forfeit should result in a change of server region. The second Forfeit should result in a one hour ban, etc.
  • Only two GOG accounts should be allowed on each device,
    one GOG account should be limited to three different device IDs.
  • GOG account names need to be limited to simple characters and numbers,
    no space holders etc.
  • More ways to communicate with the player inside the application:
    Remind a person of competitive rules when s/he logs into another account.

Last edited:
Coincidently, deduce 3.7% from the total MMR(which I believe is extremely not reasonable) just make Wangid fall out of the Master S3. Then who can even believe that this is for the fairness of Gwent competition?
I strongly agree. You play 25 games to reach 2400 mmr. Every game after that rates like 3-8 mmr. They have checked every game he played so they should know what part of mmr is not valid. The result that Wangid falls out of the Master regardless makes none of the ruling logic convincing.

Firstly,CDPR please tell me how?how could wangid make anonymous random opponent forfeit for his win.secondly please tell me why?why worldclass player need opponent forfeit and why wangid streaming whole time as evidence.last but not least,CDPR do you going to cancel forfeit function or what,clearly it is cheating now!!!!

Last edited:
The logic is not reasonable: guess you are guilty, no proof but there's one pattern of behavior no other player has, so you are guilty.
Will any courthouse in the world use such logic?:confused:
Besides, just directly reduce 3.7% MMR is not reasonable as well. It's even lower than the basic MMR after the reduce.
Thing like this has already hurt the feeling of CN GWENT community, where many players comment they will quit GWENT if such unfair thing just happen like this.

Known that there're some non-CN GWENT players who may be happy to see it. To them, I suggest CDPR consider arrange an additional game between wangid2021 and shaggy to see who is the better player that desire to enter the GWENT Masters.
After all, GWENT Masters is a game we love, don't make it like dirty politics.

Last edited:
"While we don’t have on-record evidence suggesting that wangid2021 was requesting other players to forfeit, our analysis of match history and replays showed the abnormally high rate of unwarranted victories".So,i can forfeit multiple times to any Masters stage player(or any streamer) and it can be interpreted as wintrade.Nuff said.

rrc

Forum veteran
It was surprising and shocking to first read about it. Wangid is/was considered as one of the strongest players in the game. But I am pretty sure that, if CDPR is going to send such a highly respected, famous player, it would have its reason. It would take massive massive conviction from CDPR side to do something like this on such a huge Gwent esports event.

They are doing this despite knowing and being aware of the backslash they would get from the Chinese community (we saw how CIS community attacked and keeps attacking CDPR for ProNeo ban) and I think/guess Chinese community would be a huge revenue generating community for CDPR and they know that this decision might affect it and still going ahead with this. So, I respect this decision from CDPR.

As @TriangleZack mentioned, CDPR wants to punish the behaviour (removing from Masters), but they don't want to offend the community (if it is cheating, why not banning the account for an year like how it was done for ProNeo) which is a bit confusing. But I am sure they have the reason and I respect that. It is not easy for CDPR to do this and still they did it.

Anyhow, I hope Masters will be awesome despite the relentless attacks from Chinese community in the chat. Cant wait for the Masters!

I really thought the bad takes all came from Balance team section of CDPR but now I see competitive rulings are also handled rather unprofessionally. First of all why it is implied that he cheated while you yourself say you have no evidence of it. this is rather damaging for a pro players reputation. specially for an average viewer who only sees the title and moves on.

Secondly why are punishing someone that you have no clear evidence on ? maybe some people were trolling him. If I were wangid I would move on to another game I hope he does the same.

There is no reason to want to add to the crime, for the first time after 2077 to be so disappointed with Cdpr
Post automatically merged:

I think most CN players will remove GWENT from their game library after this event, including me, a former loyal user of cdpr.

Last edited:
Your investigation and punishment against wangid is totally groundless and ridiculous. It's like walking in the street, suddenly someone gives you money, and then you're sentenced to robbery. [...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Wangid can speak for himself and explain the situation. For some reason he didn't answer CDPR. :shrug:

Looks like it is time for a reminder about the forum rules.

Everyone is required to always treat others with kindness and respect, where "others" includes companies such as CDPR.

One post edited for going too far.

Top Bottom