Complete W1 UI remake + illustrations (more like W2)

+
Complete W1 UI remake + illustrations (more like W2)

Hello everyone,

I started working on this, like on fan mod, but by time it became bigger and now it's my bachelor work. Also it's not anymore possible bring it to game. Definitely not by me, because this would need some serious programming. So it'll be just design.

Impuls, to do this, was simple. First game is amazing, but UI and illustrations (flashbacks, loading screens) are far away from second Witcher game, which I like. So I decided to make them closer to each other, but still keep differences between both games. Just to make playing them more fluent as serie.

And now, as I am reaching first milestone (UI), I decided to share my work with you.

Hope you enjoy it and now excuse me, I've got go back to work. Illustrations won't draw themselfs alone.

8. 4. 2013 EDIT

Flashbacks are done, so I decided to show you little preview.

Now I am working on final presentation. At 30. 4. I have to give over my bachelor work at school and after that date I'll show you final version of everything :)

Till that time, take care!

27. 5. 2013 EDIT

For final version I've made a new topic and you can find it HERE!

I was skeptical about the idea first but I must admit it looks really good, great job !

Can't say I like the rhombus design on all those screenshots. Many of them look very modern and sleek (which isn't bad) but I really don't like the mini-map, inventory screen, character sheet/talent tree, and dice poker design. It looks more like modern art than the general theme The Witcher has, which is I suppose "dark medieval fantasy".

Good job though overall.

Looks good. Now, as soon as REDkit is released I expect you to do the same thing the other way around. :p ;)

(It looks like) It's great work and I hope there's people who appreciate it - with the UI being the one thing that is by many considered to be a lot worse in W2 and all.

I really appreciate your work, but.... that W1 UI is so fkn awesome! :D So colorful, well stylized while W2 UI is so boring and plain with dull colors. Please do not misunderstand my comment, your job is great but W1 UI is superior in any way.

OP which texture mods do you use please? Im using texturen mod and hi-res characters models from moddb.com but yours looks way better than mine. Great work on UI!

Amazing work dude! Really beautiful! ..the overall look seems more modern and 'neutral', like the 2nd Witcher, as you mentioned ;) ..and the new UI is more lean, thus more immersive imho.

I think that when you'll finish your work I'll give it a try, i really like the UI and the menus.

Wishing you well in your work, I hope you'll share your work soon! :D

michelangelo said:
Hello everyone,

I started working on this, like on fan mod, but by time it became bigger and now it's my bachelor work. Also it's not anymore possible bring it to game. Definitely not by me, because this would need some serious programming. So it'll be just design.

Impuls, to do this, was simple. First game is amazing, but UI and illustrations (flashbacks, loading screens) are far away from second Witcher game, which I like. So I decided to make them closer to each other, but still keep differences between both games. Just to make playing them more fluent as serie.

And now, as I am reaching first milestone (UI), I decided to share my work with you.

Hope you enjoy it and now excuse me, I've got go back to work. Illustrations won't draw themselfs alone.

simply superb.....bravo.......hats offff!!!!!!

michelangelo said:

Wow, great work man!

I started similar project on polish board, but we managed only to reskin the launcher.

I love what you did with wolf medalion section of the HUD, it's great, as whole diamond pattern you've chosen.

But there are also some things, I think you should take into consideration, even if you don't plan to implement this into actual game. The thing is, that The Witcher has completly different gameplay mechanic than The Witcher 2 and this should be reflected in your design, otherwise you'll be just coping GUI form TW2.

This concerns mostly combat stances, up to 3 potion slots (in TW1 you push certain button to use certain slot, in W2 you toggle items to one quick slot) and 5 signs (the same case as potion slots) and also indication that area is dangerous (so you can draw your sword). Also you must remember that alchemy in TW1 require base substance that determines number of ingredients.

I'm also not very fond of items list instead of grid, but I assume it's personal preference. Otherwise, great job. Keep up the good work! :)

Scani said:

Those diferences (how does it actually work) are solved. I just didn't show you everything yet :) What is not solved is final presentation.

Anyway UI is sleeping for now (but ofc, some corrections will be done), since I am fully at flashback drawing atm.

michelangelo said:
Those diferences (how does it actually work) are solved. I just didn't show you everything yet
What is not solved is final presentation.

Anyway UI is sleeping for now (but ofc, some corrections will be done), since I am fully at flashback drawing atm.

Wow, those look great!
Regarding presentation, are you planning to animate GUI and flashbacks, or just rely on still images?

Scani said:
Wow, those look great!
Regarding presentation, are you planning to animate GUI and flashbacks, or just rely on still images?

It'a gotta be static. Anyway original flashbacks did work well and it's not a big deal to replace them in game (which is idea, I am not giving up about - just need programator to get there UI also - if there is someone out there, capable to make it happend :) ). It's just huge piece of work - around 60 illustrations and my bachelor final count will stop at 10 - 20, but sketches are already done for all of them.

michelangelo said:
Those diferences (how does it actually work) are solved. I just didn't show you everything yet
What is not solved is final presentation.

Nice Images......Thanx for sharing

Requer said:
OP which texture mods do you use please? Im using texturen mod and hi-res characters models from moddb.com but yours looks way better than mine. Great work on UI!

There is any texture mode :) It's just original game with best graphic settings. And for presentation of my work I picked best aesthetic moments of game, which I remember from playing. If anyone is interested, I can share those 8 screenshots without any UI.

Aaden said:
Looks good. Now, as soon as REDkit is released I expect you to do the same thing the other way around. :p ;)

(It looks like) It's great work and I hope there's people who appreciate it - with the UI being the one thing that is by many considered to be a lot worse in W2 and all.

It's simple. It's players, who have problem with new things, doesnt matter if they are better then old ones. But W2 UI impressed me, just becouse (finally!) someone had balls to leave stereotypical game UI visuals and chaotic arrangement. It's propably first game, which use rules and estetic principles from graphic design and leaving old 'put everything possible at one screen, just to let players acces it faster' in one word chaos and zero esthetic qualities. Order replaced chaos. It's not what players ever seen and they are not used to it, I understand. But adult game deserve mature presentation, free from outdated habbits.

In general I see great unutilized potentional at games, as medium. But they are still tied in long past chains.

Hi Michelangelo,

reading better your post, I notice that you said "you can't bring your work into game anymore, 'cause it needs a lot of programming". So we'll never see your fantastic graphic design into game? Is it correct?

Frank87 said:
Hi Michelangelo,

reading better your post, I notice that you said "you can't bring your work into game anymore, 'cause it needs a lot of programming". So we'll never see your fantastic graphic design into game? Is it correct?

I cant get them into the game. It's far beyond my skills at programming area. But if anyone is able and interesed to make it happend, I will accept that cooperation with a big pleasure.

Top Bottom