Completely New 1 Round? Or New Game Mode?

+
An idea; remove 3 rounds, as since Gwent is all about points slapping, you could do 1 round only and whoever reaches the highest, wins the entire game. This may as well solve the coin-flip issue.

Or have this idea as a new game mode to play on?

- Going from three rows to two rows.
- Going from three bronze copies to two bronze copies.
- Why not go from three rounds to only one round?

You do realize there is no way to make Gwent work with only one round, right? Instead, it will remove even more strategy from the game. Never mind the fact that we would stray even further from the core concept of Gwent.

- Going from three rows to two rows.
- Going from three bronze copies to two bronze copies.
- Why not go from three rounds to only one round?

LOL :D Relax bro it was just an idea.

You do realize there is no way to make Gwent work with only one round? Instead, it will remove even more strategy from the game. Never mind the fact that we would stray even further from the core concept of Gwent.

Removing a strategy from the game is not entirely accurate, as with Gwent having only 1 round would still need strategy in order to beat the opponent by not only points slapping but also to think logically about the sequences when playing each card. Plus, I actually came up with the idea while playing MTG (Magic The Gathering) Arena Card game, though with a twist to it since Gwent is different.

Lastly, I did suggest the 1 round option as a new game mode to play on if anything, and maybe to try it out as a game mode instead before the implementation.

Regards,
byExeplar

Last edited by a moderator:
In other CCG you have constant skirmishes while drawing new cards. In comparison, Gwent is an all-out battle, where you strategically build up your army and/or disrupts the opponents army. Then both armies will fight until one either withdraws or wins by numbers.

If you want to turn Gwent into a skirmish, other aspects of the game will have to change as well, which means it basically becomes your run-of-the-mill CCG. The question is: Why would to want to try to make Gwent less unique, while we should aim to make Gwent more unique again?

I actually agree that Gwent should have a 1 round mode, but of course still keeping 3 rounds mode as well.
But only assuming they don't remove 2 rows, row limit is removed or addressed to not be so limiting (it's already a problem that needs to be addressed currently), game becomes more complex with many more interesting mechanics, maybe adding a shared Melee row, and maybe cards with range to abilities. Then 1 round Gwent would make a lot of sense. (Of course with sllightly different rules for drawing cards.) (1 round mode would be boring in current Gwent.)
3 rounds Gwent and passing certainly limits aspects of gameplay. And adding a 1 round mode would be a nice addition to Gwent, having to make different strategies and decks for each mode.

For a one week event or so I wouldn't mind a 1 round mode. Could be fun.

However the more game modes there are, the less players each mode has. So it comes with a risk. But if Homecoming is successful and the game reaches a larger playerbase, then sure, more modes would be nice. Right now, I think we need to be careful with that.

Of course a 1 round mode alone won't solve the coinflip problem.

My other thread had too many suggestions, so I'll break them down one by one:

1/ A one-round game. You're allowed 11 of your 25 cards, 1 re-draw and no graveyard. It basically replicates round three but should reward you for the cards played so you don't end up feeling as though you've 'lost' that one crown you otherwise might have won.

Top Bottom