Computer freezes while playing

+
I'm going to chime in here, I have pretty much the same kind of crashes. But the weird part is that it started happing overnight, without me making any changes to the system or windows doing auto updates. The game ran great the past week, no issues. Until Thursday - Full gpu crashes, sometimes leaving artefacts on screen, requiring hard reboot. Freaks me out. I checked temps and loads during play, nothing weird. And other games run just fine for hours on end. It happens without any context (or changes in gfx settings), just like nlz242 said. I'm inclined to think it has to do with story/mission progress (and the content that unlocks alongside) - how far in the game are you nlz242? I'm still a relatively fresh nomad, act 2, only did a few story missions.

For me it happens anywhere and everywhere. New corpo game (first missions), old nomad game (last missions), mid-street kid game.

Last edited:
For me it happens anywhere and everywhere. New corpo game (first missions, old nomad game (last missions), mid-street kid game.
Right, well that theory was a shot in the dark anyway... I see similar issues pop up in the last 30ish days on reddit and the steam forums. Let's hope it gets some attention. They are already investigating an UI related bug that causes similar crashes/freezes, so i wonder if its related.

Right, well that theory was a shot in the dark anyway... I see similar issues pop up in the last 30ish days on reddit and the steam forums. Let's hope it gets some attention. They are already investigating an UI related bug that causes similar crashes/freezes, so i wonder if its related.
Yeah I had hopes about the UI bug, tried playing around with the cascaded shadow settings, seeing as people said it helped with that issue, didn't help me.
Currently playing, I moved the game from my nvme drive to my good old sata sad (Samsung 860). Seems stable so far, wondering if there isn't some sort of race condition with assets streaming from a drive that would be too fast... Shot in the dark here too, as I am running out of ideas

Update: I've been playing for two hours without crashing... Compared to last time it crashed, I moved the game to my secondary drive and set the game to Ultra, without FSR and vsync @ 72 hz. In the past, It did crash with Ultra / 72 hz. And it also did crash without FSR... Hell, I had crash at the lowest settings possible where my graphics card was basically idle...
I'll report back with any updates... if moving the game from my main drive (nvme) to a secondary drive (sata ssd) fixed it, i'll admit i'll be surprised but at this point whatever fixes it, right?
Also, if it stays stable, then i'll start cranking other parameters up (like re-enabling XMP, Asus Multi-core Enhancement, etc)

Update 2: Annnnd it froze again. Somehow was able to play for a while today tho... it crashed when I unhooked/saved Evelyn. Sigh. Played 2 hours, twice, today, before it froze.

Last edited:
Well... I think i found a workaround... pretty interesting one too...
If I heavily underclock my GPU, to 1750 mhz (from AMD's "stock" 2250mhz or Asus 2400 max boost clock), i can play for hours, not problems.
Funny/interesting thing is, I can play with the same ingame settings that would make the game crash with higher frequencies...
For example, if I lock vsync @ 72hz and play at Ultra with FSR Ultra Quality, even at 1750mhz framerate rarely dips below 72 fps and everything is rock stable, GPU only uses 100w or so... If I let it boost to even 2250mhz, it'll crash eventually, usually takes between 5 and 45 minutes...

So yeah... I've save my GPU settings as "cyberpunk safe" and I load that when I want to play and restore stock settings for everything else...
Other funny/interesting thing is, I can run furmark with boost at 2400 mhz for hours, no issues.
Also, I'm turn on all the other "soft overclocks", such as XMP for the ram and asus Multi-core enhancement (remove all limits) for the CPU...

At this point, i'm wondering if I should RMA the GPU, it's still under warranty and, well, even tho Cyberpunk seems to be hitting the GPU differently, It shouldn't hard-crash like it does... i mean, driver crash, sure, game crash sure but a full system-freeze that requires powering off is another thing...

But anyways, long story short, after many hours of diagnostic, I've got CP2077 running without crashes.

At this point, i'm wondering if I should RMA the GPU, it's still under warranty and, well, even tho Cyberpunk seems to be hitting the GPU differently, It shouldn't hard-crash like it does... i mean, driver crash, sure, game crash sure but a full system-freeze that requires powering off is another thing...
I would probably do just that. Like i said alot of times, this game is very very heavy too run. Most benchmarks has nothing on this game. I hade similar problems with my OCed 3090 so i hade a specific profile for CP2077 that ran fine for hours. But the second i went a bit more (like +25 mhz) on the core it would crash at random. +50 and it would lockup pretty fast (no temp/power issues at all) meanwhile i can run 3dmark with like 100 mhz higher OC. With RTX and so on on it will probably lower the power delivery too the core too (on nvidia atleast)

If lowering the power draw that much helps it seems either some power failure happends... either it cant maintain steady delivery. Or something is happening with the cards delivery. Since it restarts it doesnt sound like the auto safety triggers on your psu(that generally needs you too unplug/shut off the psu to get it started again).

Edit could be a bad gpu core too ofc but sounds unlikely since it only happends in cp2077. They bin the gpus nowdays so it might be a lower quality core that cant handle that high clock.

If lowering the power draw that much helps it seems either some power failure happends... either it cant maintain steady delivery. Or something is happening with the cards delivery.
See, that's one of the "interesting" thing about the issue... it doesn't seem to be tied to power draw, as I can get the game to crash with the same settings / powerdraw (around 100w) by limiting the framerate in game... 100w @ 2250 mhz -> Crash, 100w @ 1750 mhz -> no crash. I mean, i can even get it to crash at less than 75w at stock clock (ingame settings: low + limit fps @ 30 fps), whereas i can play with the limiter much higher and hit 150w+ @ 1750 mhz.

As for the powersupply, i mean, it crashes on both my old Enermax 1000w and my brand new Seasonic 850 Prime-GX (gold) and it doesn't seem to trip anything in the PSU, no need to use the reset switch on it or anything. If it had stopped crashing after changing powersupply, i would have been inclined to think the same but since nothing changed and especially because even 850w is overkill for my system...

I'm really thinking that the GPU "aged"/"fatigued", as I played the whole game back in the 1.3 days without crashing. So yeah, I'll RMA the card and see what happens. In the mean time, game is playable while underclocked so, it's at least that... eh

See, that's one of the "interesting" thing about the issue... it doesn't seem to be tied to power draw, as I can get the game to crash with the same settings / powerdraw (around 100w) by limiting the framerate in game... 100w @ 2250 mhz -> Crash, 100w @ 1750 mhz -> no crash. I mean, i can even get it to crash at less than 75w at stock clock (ingame settings: low + limit fps @ 30 fps), whereas i can play with the limiter much higher and hit 150w+ @ 1750 mhz.

As for the powersupply, i mean, it crashes on both my old Enermax 1000w and my brand new Seasonic 850 Prime-GX (gold) and it doesn't seem to trip anything in the PSU, no need to use the reset switch on it or anything. If it had stopped crashing after changing powersupply, i would have been inclined to think the same but since nothing changed and especially because even 850w is overkill for my system...
Delivery isent just the PSU tho, you need the power stages in your gpu too work too. Just like your cpu need it from the motherboard. If you got it too run at 100w at 2250 mhz it would probably not need 300w at 2400 and they could lower that alot.
I'm really thinking that the GPU "aged"/"fatigued", as I played the whole game back in the 1.3 days without crashing. So yeah, I'll RMA the card and see what happens. In the mean time, game is playable while underclocked so, it's at least that... eh
Its like 1-2 years old? its not impossible but im more inclined that 1 part of the card has failed in some way. But do RMA it, should get you a working card atleast.

Its like 1-2 years old? its not impossible but im more inclined that 1 part of the card has failed in some way. But do RMA it, should get you a working card atleast.
Yeah yeah, sorry, I kinda use GPU and graphics card interchangeably, but that's what I meant by aged/fatigued, I don't blame the GPU itself but the graphics card as a whole. Be it power delivery, memory or the actual GPU. The only "known good" thing on my graphics card is cooling, everything else can be suspicious.

Follow up after a while... I rma'd my graphics card, Asus replaced it under warranty with another (better) 6800xt, I received it a week ago and I have been able to play cp2077 with all settings maxed for hours. So really had some instability with the graphics card that only showed up in CP2077... I had two suspicious crashes in Metro Exodus enhanced edition, but yeah, CP was really the game that was able to showcase the instability best.
So yeah new graphics card, everything is great now.

i recently reset my pc and now i have this exact issue
Ever since i reset my pc i keep getting these non stop freezes then crash before in reset my pc game worked without flaws after that the game just constantly freezes upon inventory or map or when i boot up game i did the following i uninstalled my drivers with ddu then installed with nvcleaninstall but nothing i play without mods i tried turning everything to low but nothing seems to work i have rtx 3060ti amd ryzen 2600 and 32 gb ram every other game works except from cyberpunk i also preofrmed clean install of the game and verified the files in steam and tried running game as admin my cpu and gpu isnt overclocked i had game on my ssd m.2 then installed in in hdd still nothing and im running out of ideas on what to do tried messeging support got no reply tried reverting to older drivers also nothing

i recently reset my pc and now i have this exact issue
Ever since i reset my pc i keep getting these non stop freezes then crash before in reset my pc game worked without flaws after that the game just constantly freezes upon inventory or map or when i boot up game i did the following i uninstalled my drivers with ddu then installed with nvcleaninstall but nothing i play without mods i tried turning everything to low but nothing seems to work i have rtx 3060ti amd ryzen 2600 and 32 gb ram every other game works except from cyberpunk i also preofrmed clean install of the game and verified the files in steam and tried running game as admin my cpu and gpu isnt overclocked i had game on my ssd m.2 then installed in in hdd still nothing and im running out of ideas on what to do tried messeging support got no reply tried reverting to older drivers also nothing
Did you try monitoring your CPU/GPU/RAM (usage/temp) while playing, to check if something weird happen when the game freeze?
i play without mods
You mean "never"?
tried messeging support got no reply
How long has it been since you submitted a ticket to support?
If more than a week or two, feel free to send another one.
And just to be sure, here (including as much details as possible. also a DxDiag).

i did play with mods but since it was fresh install on fresh windows i didnt get to the point of downloading mods
Post automatically merged:

usage did spike abit just before the freeze
Post automatically merged:

ok after further testing when eventualy manage to get in game and i open my map my game freezes as always but spikes went completly opposite and its spikes downwards i managed to get in event viewer and saw this
Faulting application name: REDlauncher.exe, version: 2.14.1.36, time stamp: 0x64e3331c
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0xa2c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9dbe207c33a47
Faulting application path: C:\Users\krist\AppData\Local\Programs\CD Projekt Red\REDlauncher\REDlauncher.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: f26b26d7-ca1d-462d-af3f-5e5f703b8652
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

i even launched game directly from cp2077 exe as admin im no tech genius so i have no clue what to do with this info
Screenshot (4).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Top Bottom