Computer shut off

+
620w could be cutting it close for all the things you have in that build, and just because your not over the total average wattage your transiant power spikes could be a bit too much. lots of fans and 4 hdd plus a water pump. that 1080 is 254w card. so yea might just be a bit under sized psu. also keep in mind that psu's lose power over time. so if the system is running hard for many hours the psu will slowly lose its total power ability. I think they say like up to 15% per year. i would expect its much less than that because your not in a worst case senario most of the time.
Your power supply is not known for being stable with high compute loads. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-rebooting-randomly.2835559/

I would bet money that if you were to do real stress and stability tests, you would find the system is in fact not stable and it has nothing to do with any one game.

It is quite common for instability to surface seemingly with one game only. But the reality is, the PC was unstable and the game triggers it because a new release game is going to push hardware much harder than previous generation games.

Or, it could be a GPU driver issue, but my money would be on that power supply. Sorry you are going through this, as I know it is not what any gamer wants to hear.
I dont know how to explain this, earlier on my post i found a page, they're encountering my problem too as you can see they have higher wattage than mine, I agree with you maybe the game pushing the hardware that may cause pc reboots itself.
Post automatically merged:

might be possible the power phases are not so great on that mobo any longer too, if i recall correctly it only uses 4phase vrm for that cpu. And that could be causing issues if one of the phases has been getting hit hard too long. i know a buddy who has that board and he fried one of the stages lol. he was running a 2700x tho.

have you run a prime95 test on the cpu yet? watch your vrm temps in HWinfo64 (sensors only on loading) if it passes for a while and temps look fine then maybe do like 10threads in prime and a furmark and see if it shuts down.
Yes tried all the possibilities i didn't get any single shut off, More info my temps are all low, all voltage are correct 3.3v ,12v, 4.950v using hwinfo, only this game. It's really weird

Last edited:
i think possibly the more weird part is so few have had the issue. If this was a game issue we should see hundreds of people saying me too. not to say it cant be a game issue. it is possible. did this game do it with previous patches too? when you run prime95 did you use a new one with avx workloads and let it run for at least 20 tests? each test will provide a differnt workload. and ofc prime95 will be a more steady state work where as a game can really bounce the power all over the place. And is likely the cause of instability, have you tested running a frame limit, for example if you can run 45fps with no dips below 35 try setting vsync to 30fps in game. and so long as your fps never drops below 30 this should help smooth out the power spikes. and in turn possibly not crash the system.

you can also use the amd cas fx feature with nvidia cards to reduce the resolution scale to help you get the desired fps. with out losing your native monitor resolution.

Last edited:
i think possibly the more weird part is so few have had the issue. If this was a game issue we should see hundreds of people saying me too. not to say it cant be a game issue. it is possible. did this game do it with previous patches too? when you run prime95 did you use a new one with avx workloads and let it run for at least 20 tests? each test will provide a differnt workload. and ofc prime95 will be a more steady state work where as a game can really bounce the power all over the place. And is likely the cause of instability, have you tested running a frame limit, for example if you can run 45fps with no dips below 35 try setting vsync to 30fps in game. and so long as your fps never drops below 30 this should help smooth out the power spikes. and in turn possibly not crash the system.

you can also use the amd cas fx feature with nvidia cards to reduce the resolution scale to help you get the desired fps. with out losing your native monitor resolution.
Yes on previous patch on version 1.03 and 1.04 frequent hard reboot x4 after loading the save data, on v1.05 on 6 hours i'm encountered x2 hard reboot sometimes 1 hard reboot. When entering on some places 5minutes onward my pc reboots.

Yeah same for me. PC just turns off. This usually happens in specific lighting conditions, like during sunset I can have several hard resets. Just bought new 3070 and other games are ok, so I guess some issues in the drivers / the game.

Ever since 1.06, I've experienced multiple crashes which must've left a zombie CP77 process running, where sometimes restarting Steam enabled me to restart the game, and sometimes rebooting the entire system became necessary. My last reboot actually killed the W10 20H2 installation, and I left it at that for now because I'm bummed out with the game, but what requires mentioning is that I was running said W10 in a QEMU VM on Linux, so if indeed power overload were the culprit (1080ti, 650W PSU, Haswell here), it would've blacked out the whole system, not merely the VM. There is something afoot with the game's code, surely.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I've played a couple of hours on a 5950X, RTX3090 connected with 3 seperate PCIe cables + one extra PCIe cable for the 6pin x16 auxiliary power connector on the motherboard, a 1500W power supply, and the game didn't crash a single time. The CPU temps were pretty high, though. Similar to the temps that I was hitting in the CPU test of 3Dmark Time Spy.

Last edited:
Hi for a long time no more hard reboot for me :) . What i did is reseat my ram and run memtest no error found, Download the latest amd chipset driver, Installing nvidia driver 460.97, Resetting bios again into default with xmp profile 3200mhz, Bios gamer mode enabled, Setting nvidia control panel -power/prefer maximum performance, On windows exploitation features adding cp2077. exe and turning all settings to off, Install the https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_redistributable_runtimes_aio_repack.html, Limiting my framerate into 60fps using msi after burner. With/without nexus mods no more annoying pc hard reboot.

Edit: Forgot to include power plan i'm using the high performance not the amd power plan before i used the amd power plan.

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
Hi for a long time no more hard reboot for me :) . What i did is reseat my ram and run memtest no error found, Download the latest amd chipset driver, Installing nvidia driver 460.97, Resetting bios again into default with xmp profile 3200mhz, Bios gamer mode enabled, Setting nvidia control panel -power/prefer maximum performance, On windows exploitation features adding cp2077. exe and turning all settings to off, Install the https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/visual_c_redistributable_runtimes_aio_repack.html, Limiting my framerate into 60fps using msi after burner. With/without nexus mods no more annoying pc hard reboot.
Nice! Glad that it worked for you. That "prefer max performance" setting helped me too.

If you wanna try some more settings, here's what I did for my system:
  1. Install Cyberpunk 2077 on an SSD (you can find 128gb second hand for 15$)
  2. Graphic Settings DLSS:
    1. Set DLSS to OFF, Quality or Balanced. For 4K use Quality, Balanced, or Performance mode.
    2. Don't use the Ultra_Performance mode unless you're at 8K
    3. DLSS Auto mode can look blurry and distorted at 1080p or lower.
  3. Make sure Vsync is disabled in-game, and set to application controlled in your GPU control panel.
  4. Set the powerplan of your PC to High Performance
    1. Search and open Control panel
    2. Click Power options
    3. Set it to High Performance or AMD Ryzen High Performance
  5. Disable full-screen optimizations (This can lower FPS, please compare at medium settings without RayTracing)
    1. go to C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64, or
      1. Open Steam, Right-click on Cyberpunk, click Properties
      2. go to the "Local Files" tab and click browse local files
    2. right click on Cyberpunk2077.exe, click on properties and Compatibility
    3. Disable full-screen optimizations
    4. go to in-game-settings and choose full-screen-mode
  6. Disable Experimental features in the Geforce Experience app and uninstall RivaTuner Statistic Server in order to avoid issues with the GOG overlay.
  7. Use MSI Afterburner or Precision X1 in order to make sure that your GPU fans are spinning
    1. enable "Apply at Windows Startup"
      View attachment 11074793
    2. Force fan speed update on each period (can increase CPU-usage) if fan curve cannot be applied. Make sure to set curve for both fans, and also activate auto mode for both fans. Keeping your GPU cool is necessary to avoid crashing and throttling.
      View attachment 11074388
  8. optimize RAM timings
    1. Download DRAM calculator
    2. Follow Steve's guide
    3. Go to your UEFI / BIOS and set timings (like in that video, set the command rate to 1, or 1T)
  9. CPU Priority
    1. In Windows, after launching Cyberpunk, tab out and open Task Manager.
    2. Go to details tab, right click on Cyberpunk2077.exe, set priority to high
    3. It won't save this setting, you want to do this every time you start playing. (It doesn't do much tho and it can also cause crashing, but it might give you some extra performance.)
  10. CPU Bios optimization (Ryzen)
    1. Disable SMT
    2. Two ways of overclocking:
      1. manually OC your cpu by setting a multiplier and adjusting the voltage. Precision Boost overdrive needs to be turned OFF.
      2. Alternatively, enable Precision Boost overdrive and SMT without setting the multiplier. CPU will automatically overclock.
    3. Adjust CPU fan curve to keep temps below 85°C. Also check Chipset and System Fan curve.
  11. Check for driver updates:
    Chipset ; GPU ; Windows ; Monitor
  12. Enable Gsync or Freesync and optimize other gpu settings
    1. Go to your gpu control panel
    2. (NVIDIA) click Manage 3d settings and go to Program settings, select or add Cyberpunk2077.exe
      1. Monitor Technology: G-sync
      2. Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: OFF
      3. Preferred refresh rate: Highest available
      4. Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
      5. Low latency Mode: On (Don't set it to Ultra)
      6. Texture filtering: Quality, performance, or high performance
  13. If your graphics cards has two or more 8pin or 6pin connectors: Use a dedicated PCIe cable for each connector in order to avoid voltage spikes.

Last edited:
Nice! Glad that it worked for you. That "prefer max performance" setting helped me too.

If you wanna try some more settings, here's what I did for my system:
  1. Install Cyberpunk 2077 on an SSD (you can find 128gb second hand for 15$)
  2. Graphic Settings DLSS:
    1. Set DLSS to OFF, Quality or Balanced. For 4K use Quality, Balanced, or Performance mode.
    2. Don't use the Ultra_Performance mode unless you're at 8K
    3. DLSS Auto mode can look blurry and distorted at 1080p or lower.
  3. Make sure Vsync is disabled in-game, and set to application controlled in your GPU control panel.
  4. Set the powerplan of your PC to High Performance
    1. Search and open Control panel
    2. Click Power options
    3. Set it to High Performance or AMD Ryzen High Performance
  5. Disable full-screen optimizations (This can lower FPS, please compare at medium settings without RayTracing)
    1. go to C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64, or
      1. Open Steam, Right-click on Cyberpunk, click Properties
      2. go to the "Local Files" tab and click browse local files
    2. right click on Cyberpunk2077.exe, click on properties and Compatibility
    3. Disable full-screen optimizations
    4. go to in-game-settings and choose full-screen-mode
  6. Disable Experimental features in the Geforce Experience app and uninstall RivaTuner Statistic Server in order to avoid issues with the GOG overlay.
  7. Use MSI Afterburner or Precision X1 in order to make sure that your GPU fans are spinning
    1. enable "Apply at Windows Startup"
      View attachment 11074793
    2. Force fan speed update on each period (can increase CPU-usage) if fan curve cannot be applied. Make sure to set curve for both fans, and also activate auto mode for both fans. Keeping your GPU cool is necessary to avoid crashing and throttling.
      View attachment 11074388
  8. optimize RAM timings
    1. Download DRAM calculator
    2. Follow Steve's guide
    3. Go to your UEFI / BIOS and set timings (like in that video, set the command rate to 1, or 1T)
  9. CPU Priority
    1. In Windows, after launching Cyberpunk, tab out and open Task Manager.
    2. Go to details tab, right click on Cyberpunk2077.exe, set priority to high
    3. It won't save this setting, you want to do this every time you start playing. (It doesn't do much tho and it can also cause crashing, but it might give you some extra performance.)
  10. CPU Bios optimization (Ryzen)
    1. Disable SMT
    2. Two ways of overclocking:
      1. manually OC your cpu by setting a multiplier and adjusting the voltage. Precision Boost overdrive needs to be turned OFF.
      2. Alternatively, enable Precision Boost overdrive and SMT without setting the multiplier. CPU will automatically overclock.
    3. Adjust CPU fan curve to keep temps below 85°C. Also check Chipset and System Fan curve.
  11. Check for driver updates:
    Chipset ; GPU ; Windows ; Monitor
  12. Enable Gsync or Freesync and optimize other gpu settings
    1. Go to your gpu control panel
    2. (NVIDIA) click Manage 3d settings and go to Program settings, select or add Cyberpunk2077.exe
      1. Monitor Technology: G-sync
      2. Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: OFF
      3. Preferred refresh rate: Highest available
      4. Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
      5. Low latency Mode: On (Don't set it to Ultra)
      6. Texture filtering: Quality, performance, or high performance
I recommend this it may fix your hard reboot :)

Hello from France sorry for the spelling mistakes ...
I had the same problem with shutting down and restarting the PC, my problem was resolved after re-enabling c-states in bios

(i9-9900k + 2080ti x trio)

just got the same problem. decided to start the game and check the hotfix, and my computer shut down for 1 second right after starting the game. This is the first time I have encountered this, other games did not lead to such a result.

go to NVIDIA GEFORCE' experience and set image scaling to any render resolution (I set mine to 85%) then (I set sharpen to 50% ?!?!) click @ bottom left to OPTIMISE.
. NVIDIA control panel - Manage 3D settings , restore global settings , restore program settings Cyberpunk 2077.exe I switch off IN-GAME OVERLAY
then when you back in game set resolution to native ...
it doesn't happen anymore
Intel core i7 4 cores 8 Threads , MSI GTX 1070 gaming X , 650 psu , 16G RAM. Played 12h without a single shutdown

Last edited:
Top Bottom