Comrades' Hammer: opinions?

+
I'm wondering whether anyone really loves Comrade's Hammer.

For those not in the know, Comrade's Hammer is an iconic handgun which has to be reloaded after every shot fired – but that shot is much more powerful than most handguns.

I thought Comrade's Hammer might suit me because my style is to aim and shoot; I don't like spraying things with machine gun fire, and I'm not a huge fan of the 'target seeking' flechettes used be 'smart' weapons.

On my current runthrough I picked up Comrade's Hammer pretty early, and took it with me on I Walk The Line with the intention of seeing if I could one-shot Sasquatch with it. But actually when Sasquatch first appears you have decent range, so I one-shotted her with Overwatch instead (I had both Comrades' Hammer and Overwatch upgraded to epic, but neither at the time upgraded to legendary). Then, later, after having sold the Voodoo Boys out to NetWatch and after Alt had taken out the Voodoo Boys' netrunning team, I got into a fight with Placide in the maglev tunnel, where there isn't enough space to use Overwatch, so I did get Comrade's Hammer out – and it took three hits to take him down.

Now, OK, Comrade's Hammer is very powerful for a handgun, but the reload time is relatively high. And, given that both have high reload time, I'm beginning to think that Overwatch, at four rounds to a clip and a pretty guaranteed one hit kill on anyone (even Adam Smasher when upgraded to legendary) is a better choice even in close range shooting. And actually, Widow Maker, at twelve rounds per clip and on average two-hit kills, may be a better bet.

So it seems to me that, if Comrade's Hammer was to be competitive with the other iconic firearms, it would actually have to be significantly more powerful than it is; in close range fighting, if it can't one-shot, then the reload time means you are likely to take a lot of incoming fire while you're relaoding.

So: can someone persuade me that Comrade's Hammer is worth a slot in my standard loadout? If you like it, why do you like it? Are there any perks that are needed to get the best out of it?

But tossing a grenade will do that, and doesn't use up one of your weapon slots.

Then don't use it? I mean, that's the only reason it exists and if you don't care about the exploding round then it serves no purpose.

A Green revolver will 1 shot everyone anyways with the right build on very hard so it's not like Iconic weapons even matter, at all, apart form the fun factor.

Aye, I know I'm being sulky about this. But I think the concept – of an enormously overpowered, slow-to-reload – weapon is cool, but I feel that either Comrade's Hammer doesn't really deliver on this; or that I am in some way using it wrong.

Or, I suppose, I've got so used to and comfortable using a ridiculously overpowered sniper rifle that the fact that a handgun isn't similarly overpowered is a disappointment!

Aye, I know I'm being sulky about this. But I think the concept – of an enormously overpowered, slow-to-reload – weapon is cool, but I feel that either Comrade's Hammer doesn't really deliver on this; or that I am in some way using it wrong.

Or, I suppose, I've got so used to and comfortable using a ridiculously overpowered sniper rifle that the fact that a handgun isn't similarly overpowered is a disappointment!

The thing is, everything is "overpowered" because this game isn't snorederlands, it's not supposed to be.

Oh yes, handguns are overpowered :)
I use one overture fully upgrade and Quazar also fully upgrade (with 2 bullets per shot).
With those 2 guns, you can one shot everything in very hard.

I also have one RT-46 Burya (2 bullets per shot) with 720 max dmg (over 1,5K DPS). Never use it (Body 5), but it will probably work quite well :)

So it seems to me that, if Comrade's Hammer was to be competitive with the other iconic firearms, it would actually have to be significantly more powerful than it is; in close range fighting, if it can't one-shot, then the reload time means you are likely to take a lot of incoming fire while you're relaoding.

So: can someone persuade me that Comrade's Hammer is worth a slot in my standard loadout? If you like it, why do you like it? Are there any perks that are needed to get the best out of it?
u have to consider that the "last bullet in magazin dbls the dmg" perk from the handgun tree counts for Commrades Hammer as well since its magazin just has one bullet - so u can dbl its dmg with that perk - making it much more powerful than u might expect - have u tried that? it should onehit nearly everything.

u have to consider that the "last bullet in magazin dbls the dmg" perk from the handgun tree counts for Commrades Hammer as well since its magazin just has one bullet - so u can dbl its dmg with that perk - making it much more powerful than u might expect - have u tried that? it should onehit nearly everything.

The thing is, there are a lot of weapons that 1 hit everything. Even the Masamune burst fire assault rifle will 1 burst everything and when you slap the countermass mod on it that eliminates vertical recoil, the thing becomes an absolute monster.

yet he asked especially for the Hammer and perks to make it useful ;)
but yeah the masamune is a beast indeed - just sad we cant keep Prejudice the one from Rogues ending :( (at least pre 1.2 - i read we can keep Amnesty now but cant confirm it - didnt try yet after 1.2, same as Rogues Masamune havent tried it yet)

Last edited:
IMHO, Comrade's Hammer is awesome handgun. With few perks improving damage (both handguns and tech) it can kill even Cyberpsychos with one shot... and through walls... No other weapon in game have THAT much damage. Also it gives a lot of exp both to hanguns and tech.
The downside is that its ironsights are misaligned. You should aim by top of the pistol instead of holo round.
So with bit of skill it's really overkilling weapon for precision shooting.
As for me - must have!

IMHO, Comrade's Hammer is awesome handgun. With few perks improving damage (both handguns and tech) it can kill even Cyberpsychos with one shot... and through walls... No other weapon in game have THAT much damage. Also it gives a lot of exp both to hanguns and tech.
The downside is that its ironsights are misaligned. You should aim by top of the pistol instead of holo round.
So with bit of skill it's really overkilling weapon for precision shooting.
As for me - must have!

That's not true. Many weapons 1shot even bosses with the right perks and mods. The biggest drawback of the gun is that it's complete overkill.

I love it...I made a handgun build around it and even without maxing things out or crafting the best version, I was still over 4k base damage.

Also it's a tech weapon that can shoot through objects and with the perk that eliminates the distance penalty, it becomes a de factor sniper rifle also. It's a beast!

Don't know about you guys, but i fall automatically in love with every weapon that can make enemies literally EXPLODE in the most over-the-top and brutal way. Like, with limbs and blood flying everywhere. And the Hammer does exactly that. I don't really know if it's the best weapon in the game damage-wise, but it sure feels AWESOME.

With Sandevistan it's expecially glorious, watching them splatting in slow-motion.

Don't know about you guys, but i fall automatically in love with every weapon that can make enemies literally EXPLODE in the most over-the-top and brutal way. Like, with limbs and blood flying everywhere. And the Hammer does exactly that. I don't really know if it's the best weapon in the game damage-wise, but it sure feels AWESOME.

You could always install the wrist-mounted rocket launcher.

I shot smasher with it...once. He didn't have time to sprout his dialogue. Said a incomplete sentence about where's Rogue. He didn't even get a shot off and was a smoking torso on the ground. Prefer the RT-46 Burya though.

Top Bottom