Concept of more satisfying Filavandrel ability

+
Hello!
I really like Falavandrel, but design of this leader's ability, limits his possible playstiles, since he have to pass on 7 cards R1, or all-in R1 with his ability and losing power later, which makes him less variable. Also, he can't run non-units cards in his deck (spells, artifacts, specials, etc) without possibility of losing value, while using ability in the round he have non-unit cards in his hand.
The most unpleasant feeling is when you have to use his power later in the round, losing lots of value. So, i got to different design for his leader ability, which is, the same if you have 10 units in hand, but different if you are in different situation.
So, here is the concept, it works like on the concept pic i added to the post:

Boosts starting from the left part of the hand (leftmost card) and goes to the right, ignoring non-unit cards. When it reaches the last (rightmost) card, it's starts over from the left part. It keeps going until cards in his hand get 10 (or different amount, depends on balancing) boosts overall.

It will solve problems i talked about earlier - you will always get your value, you will not be limited in playstiles and amount of non-unit cards in your deck. It will also may open new cool combos and playstiles - playing out cards that you don't want to boost, then give boosts to cards you like and kept in hand. Imagine Sheldon Skaggs getting played out as finisher with all boosts went onto him? I think it would be cool.
Drop a comment if you like the concept, or offer your solution (at first i thought about 10 random boosts in your hand, but i dislike that kind of RNG, so i came to this solution), if you see a better one. Thank you for your attention!
If you think that something "will be OP", remember that some cards or Filavandrel himself might be tweaked to the new ability to keep him balanced.

Concept.png

Attachments

• Concept.png
    Concept.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 136

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
I really like Falavandrel, but design of this leader's ability, limits his possible playstiles, since he have to pass on 7 cards R1, or all-in R1 with his ability and losing power later, which makes him less variable.

Pass on 5 cards, actually, if the opponent dry-passes in round 2. Anyhow, while the arguments you've presented are true, they are true for more leaders. Filavandrel, like most leaders, has its strengths and weaknesses. You just have to know how to utilize Filavandrel to its full potential, sometimes taking a risk by doing so. For example, you mentioned that you cannot run (a lot of) non-unit cards, but it's a limit by design, just like with Unseen Elder, where you want to use (good) Deathwish cards; the leader can still brick, especially in a short final round.

Filavandrel, as he is now, is an interesting leader and I wouldn't want to see him changed, other than swapping his ability with Brouver's.

Right, let us change Filavandrel from an interesting leader with weak spots to an objectively better Woodland Spirit with more Provisions at worst.

Top Bottom