Concerns About Keanu Reeves Voice Acting

+
Everyone loves Keanu, but I wish they never hired him to play Johnny Silverhand.

I've been listening to 16 hours gameplay impressions (IGN and Gamespot) and they agree that he's the weakest voice actor so far :eek: not gunna lie, I kinda cringed watching NCW5 with some of Keanu's lines. I knew this was going to be a problem from the start, but I was kinda hoping I would be wrong... Dang.

Guest 4406876

I'd wait to see the lines in action to better understand his interpretation. Listening to lines out of context might lead to a wrong idea. I had the same sensation as well, but I want to have a broader impression before judging it. One of the things my wife didn't like at all for example was Jackie, she said he's very "overchicanohyzed" whatever that means. She's one of "them" so I guess she has an ear for it I guess?

I'd wait to see the lines in action to better understand his interpretation. Listening to lines out of context might lead to a wrong idea. I had the same sensation as well, but I want to have a broader impression before judging it. One of the things my wife didn't like at all for example was Jackie, she said he's very "overchicanohyzed" whatever that means. She's one of "them" so I guess she has an ear for it I guess?
Aww I love Jackie's voice and delivery. I think Jason Hightower is a great voice actor :') I'm not being bias lol

Guest 4406876

Aww I love Jackie's voice and delivery. I think Jason Hightower is a great voice actor :') I'm not being bias lol
I don't think the issue with Jackie it's him, but more the lines that have been written. Makes him very "over the top cholo buddy get my corona pls (the beer)" as people abroad hear it but not necessarily it's how they really speak in country. But again we have to wait and see even in Jackie's case :D . It's just little things here and there anyways, game is gonna be good.

I love more subtle acting styles.

I dont think its "bad" - just more "subtle" and some cant pick up on the variety because of that.

I think Keanu has always sounded like Keanu. He does here as well. He is not an expressive actor and thats ok. I wouldn't say his voice acting is bad as such.

It's not like he doesn't act - he just has only one mode.

ps. Although I wasn't particularly thrilled seeing him in the game, I can dig the idea of a real world charismatic figure portraying a rockstar ingame.

Guest 4211861

It's just a video game, I can live with it. Reeves did some really great B-movies.

I think you're wife is right. Heheh. But I see the stereotype in American shows so often, so it doesn't take me out of the story.

This.

Never understood the hype, probably just the aura surrounding him the internet has created. :shrug:
Most people like him because he is a really nice guy from what I heard.

His acting has been criticized since the very beginning of his career. He has gotten nicknames like "wooden boy" in his younger days and his acting in some movies have been really terrible - the quality of his acting has been described as ranging from "horrible to passable". As an actor his range is very limited, he generally excels at playing "surfer dudes", the "fish out water" - e.g. Neo in the Matrix - and roles that generally don't demand much from the actor.

Good directors will try their best to cover his weaknesses and not demand of him what he isn't good at - which is likely what CDPR would have done if they have a good director handling all this.

Last edited:
keanu was always kind of a bad actor, no offense. seen him in bram stoker's dracula? that was horrific

i think like a lot of his roles, there's going to be good and bad moments.

Last edited by a moderator:
So long as we have even a single instance of him going "Whoa" then his admittedly "less than stellar" acting chops will be 100% worth it in my book. I'm also guessing that he isn't going to be in our heads 24/7. He'll probably make comments through the primary story and we'll occasionally have small convos with him, but I doubt it's going to get grating... well, I hope it won't anyhow.

Top Bottom