Concerns about TW2

+
Consoles haven't ruined gaming, thieves have.Developers have had to write for consoles 'cos writing for PC could mean making a loss.For example, PC version of street fighter 4 is the best version, but made the lowest profits. To the point that capcom would have made a loss had they tried to put it on retail shelves .. they sold it cheap on steam instead.Not that there's a problem with digital distribution, industries gotta move with the times. Record companies persisting with trying to sell CDs retail is a lot like those stores that persisted with trying to sell VHS movies. In a few years, DVDs will start to get phased out, too .. 720x576 (PAL) just doesn't cut it anymore.Heck, the only reason DVDs are still going strong is inertia. People are attached to their collections, can't afford HD TVs, low market share = blu ray too expensive, etc.On topic, I very much prefer PC control schemes .. especially for FPS .. 'cos despite the popularity of console shooters, not having a mouse is ridiculous.And my favourite genre, RTS, has mostly gone down the gurgler 'cos it's nigh impossible to multitask on a controller.(yes, I know there's been some good titles, but they'e been mostly half-assed, with inadequate balance patches etc, 'cos the PC game market is relatively unprofitable)Come to think of it, once starcraft 2 turns up, I'll be disappearing. ;D

Tlazolteotl said:
Consoles haven't ruined gaming, thieves have.
That's so true.I don't know which is worse, the fact that most PC-players are afraid of console-versions because they tend to be more popular and that you have to pay for expansions etc. or the fact that PC-fans thinks that a console-version would ruin the PC game. I think most of the "PC-only" fans are afraid that the console-version would be so popular that the next game would be console-exclusive or a bad remake of the console-version (like Halo, Gears, Lost planet on PC). One I too was playing only on PC, but since most good games only came to console I decided to move and baought a console myself, still plays the PC-exclusives and the games that are better for PC on PC. I rest assured that CD Projcet and the others can make a Good game for PC and console. Dragon Age, Sacred and some more shows that you can make a good PC-game, and remake it (inventory, controls etc) for console and still have a great game. You don't have to make a "easy, stupid" game like most are afraid. You can do everything on console that you do on Pc, on a console you even have a better control with hotkeys placed in a better order, hence it's easier to make a great control for a complex game. The fine thing with consoles is the co-op, both on and offline, and the great support for multiplayer with friends, joining parties and so on. I too think that the Witcher should be developed for PC, but then have the interface remade for consoles, but don't slaughter the complexity, you really can make a deep and complex game on consoles just like on PC. A part from making new controls, a 360-version would require almost no extra coding since the 360 is like a PC, hence the game should be as good/complex. The PS3 requires more coding before you can make the game work but it isn't too hard, just takes more time/resources.RTS for consoles I agree, it's crap so far. FPS is great if the game is made for consoles, sure it requires more skills to get headshots while playing on console, but at least everyone has the same chance to get good with the same controls. FPS for consoles is great, but it's hard to go from being Mr sniperspree on Pc too a n00b on console that has problems getting the aim right. FPS is equally good on consoles as on PC, which one you prefare is a matter of taste (and number of friends to play with). RTS is bad, but not only because of the controller but because it's mostly too simple, not a bit strategy but only spam big units (no fun). RPG works great on consoles, like we've seen so many times. Fallout, Sacred, Risen, Dragon Age, Mass effect, the list goes on (Sacred 2 is best example though). A game just as complex and challenging on consoles as it was on PC, but with better controls the game is even better on consoles (at least 360) then the PC-version was (played both). Develop Witcher for PC, remake the controls so they fit for consoles (like Sacred 2, but there is always room for improvement) and deliver the same great game. Of course a great game sells better on console then on PC, piracy is one thing but improved controls and better ways of playing with fiends is the most important things. I rest assured that even if the console-version of Witcher would outsell thye PC-version 10:1, witcher would still be developed for Pc and would still be the same great game. I think it's stupid and arrogant to say that it should be PC-exclusive, based on a fear that the game would be made only for consoles next time. Since most people have a console (cheaper then PC, less problems) and since console-versions sells better and can offer a lot that PC doesn't offer (friends, party, servers etc.) I think it would be a mistake to not make a good game for consoles. Console-players aren't stupid and won't but a bad game with a lot of bugs (Risen) and won't pay full price for a console-version half a year after PC-release (sacred 2). Releasing a good console-verion at the same time as the PC version is being smart. All those who couldn't play Witcher due to a crappy computer, or due to the game not beeing sold in stores (found it here in Sweden first time just some moths ago), while the console-versions spread world wide and bring joy to everyone.

Grumbledock said:
FPS is equally good on consoles as on PC
I have to disagree.When mouselook was invented, it was the best thing ever, and I'm never going back to an inferior control scheme.Look, there are good FPS games on consoles, and the multiplayer aspect makes it cool, but equally good?The fun factor aside, the control scheme on consoles necessitates casualification of aiming, and you end up with shooting in the general vicinity = hit, and opponents & players both having piles of hit points, in order to compensate.It's the difference between the "whee pew pew" of a console flying game vs. a PC flight simulator.The former is arguably fun for more people (and more players = more people to play with), but the latter feels a lot more like flying an aircraft.After all, fun for more people is the definition of casual, and that's what the OP is worried about.Isn't it?

Tlazolteotl said:
Tlazolteotl said:
FPS is equally good on consoles as on PC
I have to disagree.When mouselook was invented, it was the best thing ever, and I'm never going back to an inferior control scheme.Look, there are good FPS games on consoles, and the multiplayer aspect makes it cool, but equally good?The fun factor aside, the control scheme on consoles necessitates casualification of aiming, and you end up with shooting in the general vicinity = hit, and opponents & players both having piles of hit points, in order to compensate.It's the difference between the "whee pew pew" of a console flying game vs. a PC flight simulator.The former is arguably fun for more people (and more players = more people to play with), but the latter feels a lot more like flying an aircraft.After all, fun for more people is the definition of casual, and that's what the OP is worried about.Isn't it?
I've got to agree. I just can't STAND FPS's on consoles because of the aiming. As you said.. you end up shooting in the general vicinity + it takes lots of more time to get your aim there.In PC FPS's you can score a headshot from across the screen as soon as someone's head pops up.. consistently. So yeah, the same game's console and PC version's are totally different experiences when it comes to First person shooters.. But I'm not saying people shouldn't enjoy them on consoles. They just definitely aren't equally good if you can aim.

Blooddragon said:
Do not worry. PC is still our target platform.
Awesome! I don't mind it coming to console as long as they don't water down the PC experience.If CD Projekt keeps going on like this I have a feeling that they will be the next famous and loved devs among PC gamers right next to Valve and Blizzard ;)

Tlazolteotl said:
Consoles haven't ruined gaming, thieves have.
Its not just PC games that get pirated! Appparently 1 in 5 console games are pirated. It really annoys me when games compamies say they wont make a game on PC because of the pirating its like they are tarring us with the same brush! Especially when you come to realise that consoles are also pirated ! To be quite honest I'm begining to wonder if pirating is the real reason why games companies are shying away from PCs. Maybe its just a poor excuse, they know they can make more money on console games so don't bother to make them for PC- at the end of the day what games company will admit to that?

Infiltrator84 said:
Hello,Let me say first that I throughly enjoyed The Witcher, one of the best RPGs ever made (I say this having played classics such as BG, BG2, KotoR, PT, Morrowind etc.). I realize the world is under the economic crysis and people are trying to make money, but if CD Projekt decides to make TW2 the same game on PC as it is on consoles, it will fail.Part of the reason why the witcher was such a huge success is because it held true to the "old school" RPG archetype. It had a complex character development, alchemy, combat stances, styles etc... all of which it made the game stand out from today's dumbed down "hit" RPGs such as Fallout 3 (which, btw, I hate). If you decide to port the witcher onto consoles, it can't keep the complexity that it had in the original, controllers can't cope with that, but more importantly, 12 year old console users just can't handle it.I've seen too many games start out gloriously on PC, then see their sequels as empty shells of what they once were, all because they were released on consoles and had to be beaten down with the retard stick to be "more accessible".Thoughts?
PC version is planned first for Witcher 2 - which seems to be a rarity, these days and age - so I'm sure we'll be treated quite well here...

If you're trying to attrack the the I destroyed a 1000 alien spaceships and killed a million people when I destroyed their planet crowd, then I guess the console is the way to go for the market. I don't think theWitcher would adapt well in console. The FPS shooters can, but I don't think theWitcher would work real well. I gave up on the consoles a long time ago and I gave my old PS2 away. I wouldn't buy theWitcher as a console game. I like the game, but not enough to go out and buy a PS3 or XBox360. As long as the modding community continues to produce good stuff, I'm happy. Of course, I'm a modder/file manipulator myself so this is a very biased opinion.

i have faith. other companies have shown that you can make a multi-platform game that does cater to all platforms and does not omit the most important features of each. pc being the one with the best possibilities for tweaking the experience, modding the game and having a higher number of keys to map controls to. CDPR will certainly try to deliver the best RPG on any platform. I'm much more concerned about tweaked looks for the iconic Geralt, e.g. no more crossed swords and younger, meatier look as well as those dreadful Quicktime Events featured in the leaked video. QTEs are the worst design ever. they only show how lazy the dev is.

Grumbledock said:
Develop Witcher for PC, remake the controls so they fit for consoles (like Sacred 2, but there is always room for improvement) and deliver the same great game. Of course a great game sells better on console then on PC, piracy is one thing but improved controls and better ways of playing with fiends is the most important things. I rest assured that even if the console-version of Witcher would outsell thye PC-version 10:1.
I have to disagree, Witcher 1 will not outsell PC version on consoles at all. Sure it's a speculation, just like your post, but almost everytime when a good complex game from PC made it's way on console it is not very good seeler. Just look at very good games like Risen (only 80k sold on Xbox) or Divinity 2 (90k sold on Xbox). I played it on X360, the graphics it's of course not that good as on PC but the games are just fine, not some broken ports, but it looks like reviewers are noobs or something, they used to play casual styled noob games, they miss arrow to quests, autoheal, tutorial and all this "great console features" so games are reviewed badly and console gamers don't care about them.
Grumbledock said:
PC version is planned first for Witcher 2 - which seems to be a rarity, these days and age - so I'm sure we'll be treated quite well here...
In my opinion it's not rarity at all. I don't want to write here all good exclusive PC games but...well:In last 2 years I really enjoyed some PC primary or exclusive games and it's not a small number:STALKER(3games), Crysis(2games), Cryostasis, Zeno Clash, Torchlight, Necrovision, Risen, Divinity 2, Sacred 2, Dragon Age,NAPOLEON/EMPIRE Total War, Mount and Blade, ANNO 1404: Dawn of Discovery, Demigod, all Valve games and more.Coming: Witcher 2, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Star Wars The Old Republic and much more great games, i really don't have a feel that there is nothing to play, i don't have time for playing and i am really glad if i will find some for these great games.In fact PC (and Nintendo) has much much more their own exclusive games than others. Compared to X360 - Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 and upcoming Alan Wake. What other games worth it this platform has? If i want to buy a console it will be PS 3, because of MGS 4 and God of War 3, GT 5 and Heavy Rain but that are only 4 games. Damn small number. (Yeah there is more - Infamous, Killzone 2 but i don't care about them but that's just me)Sorry for my english

Looks very promising !!!Graphics and environments look fine, and I hope we'll have such atmospheric places as in The witcher, especially the very first part of the town. Most of RPG's unfortunately don't make any effort on that, leaving players with the feeling of having a map with assets on it instead of a real place ( look at NWN2 towns, that's just awful).And my main complaint concerning The Witcher, the lack of extensions. I hope they are already programmed and that we will have plenty on them.

The Game looks great so far. The fact that the game is not going to be long as The Witcher 1. This might be the only issue for me. But I guess we can play over and over again just like I did with Witcher 1. :peace:

Tlazolteotl said:
Consoles haven't ruined gaming, thieves have.Developers have had to write for consoles 'cos writing for PC could mean making a loss.For example, PC version of street fighter 4 is the best version, but made the lowest profits. To the point that capcom would have made a loss had they tried to put it on retail shelves .. they sold it cheap on steam instead.Not that there's a problem with digital distribution, industries gotta move with the times. Record companies persisting with trying to sell CDs retail is a lot like those stores that persisted with trying to sell VHS movies. In a few years, DVDs will start to get phased out, too .. 720x576 (PAL) just doesn't cut it anymore.Heck, the only reason DVDs are still going strong is inertia. People are attached to their collections, can't afford HD TVs, low market share = blu ray too expensive, etc.On topic, I very much prefer PC control schemes .. especially for FPS .. 'cos despite the popularity of console shooters, not having a mouse is ridiculous.And my favourite genre, RTS, has mostly gone down the gurgler 'cos it's nigh impossible to multitask on a controller.(yes, I know there's been some good titles, but they'e been mostly half-assed, with inadequate balance patches etc, 'cos the PC game market is relatively unprofitable)Come to think of it, once starcraft 2 turns up, I'll be disappearing. ;D
I know this is an older post but there are a couple of major things that I just have to reply to.Piracy (copyright infringement) is NOT killing the PC game industry, anymore than it is killing the music or movie industries, despite what Big Content would have you believe. Two of the things that the post above mistakenly refers to as symptoms are actually part of the problem. Street Fighter 4 was released as a console game first and ported to the PC later. And typically, console games do NOT make good PC games. Limited controls, hampered save systems and a lack of configuration options are all big drawbacks for a PC title.And this bit: 'they'e been mostly half-assed, with inadequate balance patches etc, 'cos the PC game market is relatively unprofitable' should read 'for some developers/publishers the PC game market is relatively unprofitable BECAUSE they release games that are mostly half-assed, with inadequate balance, patches, support etc'. Many companies are doing quite well making PC games because they release good, well made games, continue to patch problems as they arise and treat their customers as CUSTOMERS, not pirates.My big concern for TW2? Is that I will have to get an overseas copy because Atari is going to muck up the US release...

Brag said:
Brag said:
Awesome! I don't mind it coming to console as long as they don't water down the PC experience.If CD Projekt keeps going on like this I have a feeling that they will be the next famous and loved devs among PC gamers right next to Valve and Blizzard ;)
Don't forget Stardock

MysterD said:
MysterD said:
Hello,Let me say first that I throughly enjoyed The Witcher, one of the best RPGs ever made (I say this having played classics such as BG, BG2, KotoR, PT, Morrowind etc.). I realize the world is under the economic crysis and people are trying to make money, but if CD Projekt decides to make TW2 the same game on PC as it is on consoles, it will fail.Part of the reason why the witcher was such a huge success is because it held true to the "old school" RPG archetype. It had a complex character development, alchemy, combat stances, styles etc... all of which it made the game stand out from today's dumbed down "hit" RPGs such as Fallout 3 (which, btw, I hate). If you decide to port the witcher onto consoles, it can't keep the complexity that it had in the original, controllers can't cope with that, but more importantly, 12 year old console users just can't handle it.I've seen too many games start out gloriously on PC, then see their sequels as empty shells of what they once were, all because they were released on consoles and had to be beaten down with the retard stick to be "more accessible".Thoughts?
...And CDPR will be richly rewarded for they loyalty. PC gamers take care of their friends. Unlike Activisoin and Ubisoft. I've already pledged to pre-order their Initial SKU, Plus their end GOTY SKU. I suggest all true fans of the Witcher and CDPR buy two copies. We have to prop up the sales here. We're lead platform again because they sold 1.5 million copies and we have to do this again with Witcher 2. The rise of PC gaming is nigh!!

Infiltrator84 said:
Infiltrator84 said:
That reassures me, but sometimes the devs don't get to have an option on that :-X - depends on who your publisher is going to be, and a top publisher will want you to focus on the consoles, just look at the market.
Nobody knows what the future holds but as for now we can say that CDPR is completely free from big publisher's interference in their projects. It's how CDPR speak of themselves - they are a group of dedicated, talented people who love making games and they do it how they decide. No outside influence.PC version of The Witcher 2 comes first. There is not even a simultaneous work on multiple platforms like with Dragon Age. BioWare worked on PC and console versions at the same time - we can see the results, like low-res textures of enviroment.

You can also take note on this it will be PC first that a given and if it dose go to what ever consoles I'm sure it would not be just a port to consoles. The Red Team take a lot of pride in there work

I've noticed that in videos there were Mass Effect style dialogues, where you can only see the short option of what's geralt going to say. Is that going to remain as such in the game? Or will we be able to choose from full dialogue lines. I really hated when I want to say something and my character say something else.

seems like there will be "quick decision" sequences like the hanging and I'm sure "traditional" ones as well. I like that they mix it up and it could work.just imagine if they do the same quantum leap like Me2 was to Me1 ? and this starting from the already high ground of TW1 ? it will be epic epicness.

Top Bottom