Concerns about TW2

+
susi2 said:
Did you see the new Arcania tech video? I think you already lost the best looking graphics in a rpg!
Since when are RPG-s about graphics? I thought they were mostly about role-playing, story, choices and consequences, character development....
susi2 said:
susi2 said:
There will be only short text. It's not only ME style, Gothic was the first game with such dialogues. IMO it works very well, especially when main character - Geralt in The Witcher will give long speaches. In such cases dialogue text won't take up half of the screen. The problem is not this system but how well short text describes what you can expect from the answer you pick.
Yeah, that's my biggest worry about the game actually (even bigger than Geralt's look). It becomes even more of a problem when it comes to the translation of the game. I've played Mass Effect localized by Snowball studios here in Russia (those are the guys that will translate the Witcher 2 also). And that wasn't a very pleasant experience: you choose an "idea of the answer" and then see that it doesn't barely resemble the actual full answer.And that really looks like a nu-gen simplification to me. And I'm really afraid that it will ruin the game experience for me. The Witcher was one of the best action-RPGs of the last years, and good dialogues did a pretty big part. How can I think of the consequences of the answer if I even don't know if it will be a polite or an angry one sometimes? The Witcher wasn't a pure-blood RPG, you mostly didn't have options to steal or to kill a character to solve the quest (see Fallout) and the shift from full-length answers to short ones will make it even less RPGish. I know, this is the trend and good for consoles (see ME, Alpha Protocol), I know that CDPR is targeting at the wider audience, but I, personally, will regret and seriously reconsider buying this if the dialogues will be dumbed-down. Surely, action-oriented interaction movies like ME are lot of fun sometimes, but it's not what I loved The Witcher for.
I couldn't agree more. If I want to see a wall of text on my screen then let me. I hope there will at least be an option for full dialogues. Otherwise I really can't see myself buying this game.

susi2 said:
Did you see the new Arcania tech video? I think you already lost the best looking graphics in a rpg!
I saw it live - not on video. And you're wrong i'm affraid. (Sure it's just mine personal opinion but still... it's not so good tho.)BTW one more thing. Techvideo and real gameplay video - i see hudge difference here ;) Wait till they will turn whole community AI, quest logic and some other stuff - miracle will be gone. Not only graphics needs resources on memory and cpu you know.

Hamenaglar said:
Since when are RPG-s about graphics? I thought they were mostly about role-playing, story, choices and consequences, character development....
*sigh* There's a fellow after my own heart!I would much rather play a game that has five-year-old graphics but an excellent story with interesting choices, serious consequences, and in-depth character development than play a game with the best graphics ever but a lousy story, no choices, and cardboard characters. It's hard to show depth of story and character in screenshots, though; I think excellent graphics help to sell a game, partly because so many people value look over depth but partly because they're just a lot easier to demonstrate.It sounds like TW2 will have both excellent graphics and and excellent story. That's lovely. But I know which I consider to be essential and which I consider to be a frill.
Hamenaglar said:
Hamenaglar said:
Hamenaglar said:
There will be only short text. It's not only ME style, Gothic was the first game with such dialogues. IMO it works very well, especially when main character - Geralt in The Witcher will give long speaches. In such cases dialogue text won't take up half of the screen. The problem is not this system but how well short text describes what you can expect from the answer you pick.
Yeah, that's my biggest worry about the game actually (even bigger than Geralt's look). It becomes even more of a problem when it comes to the translation of the game. I've played Mass Effect localized by Snowball studios here in Russia (those are the guys that will translate the Witcher 2 also). And that wasn't a very pleasant experience: you choose an "idea of the answer" and then see that it doesn't barely resemble the actual full answer.And that really looks like a nu-gen simplification to me. And I'm really afraid that it will ruin the game experience for me. The Witcher was one of the best action-RPGs of the last years, and good dialogues did a pretty big part. How can I think of the consequences of the answer if I even don't know if it will be a polite or an angry one sometimes? [...]
I couldn't agree more. If I want to see a wall of text on my screen then let me. I hope there will at least be an option for full dialogues. Otherwise I really can't see myself buying this game.
I'll buy the game no matter what. But I do want to see the whole of Geralt's answer when I'm choosing what to say; if I can't see it, it'll seriously detract from things for me.

m6a6t6i said:
And we have one more advantage. You can be sure that our screens are not fixed in photoshop - all of you could see that game's trully looks like on those screenshots.
Damn you! Now I really have to look for a bank which would allow itself to be robbed... I will definitely need some new equipment on my desk... The good side of all this is that it's almost a whole year ahead of me...

Infiltrator84 said:
Hello,Let me say first that I throughly enjoyed The Witcher, one of the best RPGs ever made (I say this having played classics such as BG, BG2, KotoR, PT, Morrowind etc.). I realize the world is under the economic crysis and people are trying to make money, but if CD Projekt decides to make TW2 the same game on PC as it is on consoles, it will fail.Part of the reason why the witcher was such a huge success is because it held true to the "old school" RPG archetype. It had a complex character development, alchemy, combat stances, styles etc... all of which it made the game stand out from today's dumbed down "hit" RPGs such as Fallout 3 (which, btw, I hate). If you decide to port the witcher onto consoles, it can't keep the complexity that it had in the original, controllers can't cope with that, but more importantly, 12 year old console users just can't handle it.
i know im quoting the first post, but really?????I played the Witcher with a controller, worked fine for me, (im also a lazy gamer that sits in a recliner when i play). and I am REALLY getting sick of PC gamers always talking down about those dirty "console users". I have damn near every console made (im a collector freak) and love them. you know what the REAL difference between PC users and Console users is? Console user dont have to upgrade thier system to play a new game....its a monry thing, the xbox360 and PS3 will have standardized formats fo developers rather than whatever hardware your running. Consoles are safer than PC's.....who here has bought a PC game, only to find your video card sucks with it, or you need more RAM, oir it just doesnt work for somereason. (i just mailed Fallout 3 GOTY back to Bethesda for a refund- buggy POS would not play). Now, before anyone jumps my ass, Pc does have better interface, graphics, and lets not forget mods. but for the price of a game ready PC today, you could buy 3 or 4 xbox's.........RANT OVER

It's a matter of game controller. You can't be as dexterous in some genre of games with a gamepad, as mouse and keyboard players. Thus console shooters are easier, there are almost no RTS games on consoles and RPG games combat is simplified.

I too will back PC ranters on this one, even though I love console games as well. Sometimes cross-platforming from console to PC just doesn't work. Many PC titles are of a different nature and would never sell on console market due to their complexity/ strategy. ME2 is perfect example of this, as the port to PC this time was clearly over simplified( as was the console version)But the worst reality about consoles are the companies, who try to milk the gamers for every penny, and who also have a hand in the direction devs will take with their games ( targeting a different demographic )PC games are also much cheaper, and PC devs frequently come out with expansion packs, mods, etc.I like some console games and I use to own one. But with a good PC, I will never go back to the kiddie console again.

slimgrin said:
I like some console games and I use to own one. But with a good PC, I will never go back to the kiddie console again.
Whats with the Kiddie Console comments???exactly why do you feel your better because you use a PC?, the whole argument is ridonkulous..its a matter of preference, just because you prefer it one way, doesnt make make it the RIGHT way or the ONLY way. If you do that, then you end up being a PC nazi.the PC vs Console argument is about as constructive as us arguing over abortion and politics, so lets not get into it, I, for one, really dont prefer either, as there are great titles for both.

ReachfortheSkylar said:
ReachfortheSkylar said:
I like some console games and I use to own one. But with a good PC, I will never go back to the kiddie console again.
Whats with the Kiddie Console comments???exactly why do you feel your better because you use a PC?, the whole argument is ridonkulous..its a matter of preference, just because you prefer it one way, doesnt make make it the RIGHT way or the ONLY way. If you do that, then you end up being a PC nazi.the PC vs Console argument is about as constructive as us arguing over abortion and politics, so lets not get into it, I, for one, really dont prefer either, as there are great titles for both.
I don't feel I'm better. I feel the PC is better. Consoles are good too, just not as good for the reasons I mentioned.

i don't know of it was mentioned before but beginning of Witcher 2 ambush scene from gameplay video was very similar to certain scene from Mass Effect 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQCGEa72OdE&feature=related
for me it was 1:1.CDPR you are great writers - think of something please

Biggus said:
i don't know of it was mentioned before but beginning of Witcher 2 ambush scene from gameplay video was very similar to certain scene from Mass Effect 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQCGEa72OdE&feature=related
for me it was 1:1.CDPR you are great writers - think of something please
I noticed this, but I have to wonder how it happened. They couldn't just whip that whole sequence up right after ME2 came out, could they? And it can't be coincidence. Someone have any thoughts on this?

Aboout the scene from Mass Effect 2. They said that the similiarities were purely coincidental beacuse when ME was released the scene was already done or planned or something like that.

Pluum said:
Aboout the scene from Mass Effect 2. They said that the similiarities were purely coincidental beacuse when ME was released the scene was already done or planned or something like that.
Maybe, but it doesn't matter - when Witcher 2 will be published ME2 will be 1.5 or 2 years old it will look like copy/paste from most cliche ridden game ever

It's very funny when you say that one game "copied" from another one as if the copied thing is original and haven't appeared anywhere else. If you are talking about the biotic shield and the magic shield that Triss made...well, magic shields are literally in every fantasy, but does that mean they are copied from a specific fantasy? It's ridiculous.

After seeing trailer and real-time cut I must say that this game seems to be on the best way to became a disgrace to the books. I am in shock and hope my impression is wrong. Summary in one word: no.

MadCat said:
After seeing trailer and real-time cut I must say that this game seems to be on the best way to became a disgrace to the books. I am in shock and hope my impression is wrong. Summary in one word: no.
Why you say so? Would you elongate please?

Edk said:
It's very funny when you say that one game "copied" from another one as if the copied thing is original and haven't appeared anywhere else. If you are talking about the biotic shield and the magic shield that Triss made...well, magic shields are literally in every fantasy, but does that mean they are copied from a specific fantasy? It's ridiculous.
I don't think they are deliberately copying each other. But the way the scene plays out is uncannily similar to ME2. If you have played ME2, I would think you might agree.

Well being one that had played both games yes there are similarity but that about it.There is a old saying there is nothing new under the sun.Stuff like this has been played out not only in game but also in sci fi and fantasy books.

I have played Mass Effect 2 and the biotic shield was exactly "nothing new under the sun".IF it is used in the witcher, well, it won't be a copy/paste from ME2, but from 3000 old Myths, if you like. But Slim is right, many people would call thata a copy, but that would be mostly 12 year-olds, so there is nothing to worry about :)

I would be extremly proud if my game would be compared to ME2 or TW1 vice versa. Both games encompassed all that is good about their genre and changed a few things that were artificially enforced by the genre and came out as brilliant pieces of entertainment. While ME2 is more simple in its gameplay it is as RPG as one game can be. Timed responses is something Alpha Protocoll will do as well so I think TW is in good company here. The key is to mix it up in the right way and for the right situation. everybody has their own interpretation of the books and the game is one interpretation by the devs and I will gladly see what they are up to in TW2. Games should expand on the lore, characters that are there but just like movies they should NOT try to copy anything. the more liberties they take the better for the GAME. If I wanna see the "true", "pure" Geralt I can always read the book.

Top Bottom