Concerns for V Character development

+
I prefer a voiced protagonist, though it would be exemplary if there was a somewhat hidden option to never say anything, acting as a silent protagonist, and all the characters think it's really weird, akin to how it is addressed in Half Life 2 and Undertale.

It's all fine and well to want more depth in the dialogue options but I would stress it's more important have those options meaningful than litter it with tons of random dialogue. For me in a roleplaying experience I want to play with a consistent voice that maintains my immersion. I've always felt three was the sweet spot in terms of voice protagonists. Being able to play a more virtuous, smartass, or ruthless type character generally covers the spectrum, makes it more accessible to the playerbase, and makes it easier for the devs to maintain continuity within the framework of the story and broader world.

The necessary constraints imposed by having a fully voiced protagonist means that a player is going to have less freedom than they would in a pen & paper RPG or even a video game where all dialogue is rendered in text.

I think people that go into a CRPG expecting a similar level of freedom of a pen and paper RPG are setting themselves up for disappointment. That's simply an unobtainable goal for a video game developer,

This.

With respect, I think some people are hoping to buy a game that literally acts like a human GM. It's just not possible. At least not anytime soon.

There has got to be a 'tree' that the main game/plot follows and any differences in a playthrough will by neccessity be 'little branches' that still stem from the main trunk, you know?

I think the two important things are that 1) the developer at least manages to create the illusion/feeling of things being different enough so that the player can enjoy the differences that occur through their choices and 2) that we, the players, do our bit to help by being open minded and ready to immerse ourselves in the game. You know, add our own flavour to it through our imagination.

Basically, if we take a step back from the game and, instead of being fully committed to the fictional world, analyse everything mercilessly and cynically then of course we're not going to enjoy it so much. That sort of thinking reminds me of when my uncle said he never watches Star Trek because 'it's a load of actors in silly rubber masks'.

I'd rather have a silent Protagonist, less Budget goes into Voice Acting, meaning potentially more lines of Dialogue for the Protagonist and NPCs.

Keive

Forum regular
I'd rather have a silent Protagonist, less Budget goes into Voice Acting, meaning potentially more lines of Dialogue for the Protagonist and NPCs.

I think that depends for me. One of my all time favorite games has a silent protagonist. I find it can work really well and be funny at times too when NPC's notice it. However, I'm not sure if that can really work in a game like Cyberpunk. If it's too serious then just wouldn't work.

Top Bottom