Configuration Tool (Witcher 2) Doesn't set User.ini correctly

+
If you choose the Ultra Spec preset than only some of the settings from PCUber.ini are imported in to User.ini, multiple settings are incorrect or missing. There's no way in the Configuration program to set MaxCubeShadowSize=2048, MaxSpotShadowSize=2048 and the FoliageDistanceScale & CharacterLodGameplayDownscale are completely missing from User.ini for example.

Afaik this was not an issue with The Witcher 2 v1.35. It became an issue with the Enhanced Edition v2.0 and newer... however it has been a long time since I've used v1.35 so my memory may not be correct on when the issue first began.

tl;dr the Configuration Tool does not let you match the quality of the PCUber.ini settings and some variables are missing from User.ini with their absence potentially decreasing the visual quality.
Post automatically merged:

The SpotShadows and CubeShadows settings being stuck at abysmally low values is likely why various shadows look very pixellated/bad in this very recent DigitalFoundry review of what made the game engine so great at its time of release: https://www.digitalfoundry.net/2020...ne-analysis-performance-on-modern-pc-hardware

Attachments

• Ultra Spec Fails to import settings from PCUber.ini.png
    Ultra Spec Fails to import settings from PCUber.ini.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 837
Last edited:
Interesting, unfortunately 9 years after the release I wouldn‘t hold my breath for a patch. TW2 was made for a different hardware generation. A lot has changed since then, so of course there are things that are less optimal from todays point of view. But that‘s kind of normal with games.

They'd only need to patch the configuration tool which should be way easier than making any changes to the game it self.

They'd only need to patch the configuration tool which should be way easier than making any changes to the game it self.

It's simply not going to happen. Doesn't matter how easy or difficult it is -- there will not be another patch to TW2. Or 3. Not unless a huuuge issue were to develop. This...is not that sort of problem. When work on a project is officially closed, that's the end, for better or worse.

And it's not a big problem either. If the changes seem to be overwritten, create a backup of the files you're editing, then set the files in question to "Read only". (This is generally not something you'll want to do, but seems like it might be needed here to get the effect you want. And it should work fine as long as you don't try to fiddle with any settings in the game.)

Try starting here to get an idea of where certain parameters are located:

The game won't override your custom changes to the configuration file, only the Configuration Program will if you click Save/Apply.

Top Bottom