Congratulations CD / New Gwent

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a small outburst, as I see how many complaints the game has suffered, and it seems that the forum almost 90% has been used to complain about the current game.

Yes, I really enjoyed the game, congratulations CD for the work and dedication - the game is not the same anymore, but still it is Gwent, it still is the Witcher universe!

I'm sure more people liked the current result, if you will, leave your compliment, constructive criticism help, just complaining lets us down - but compliments are good for soul too and developers are also people!

Anyway, my thanks!

Old gwent had NG-Soldiers archtype. Homecoming Gwent has an equivalent (reveal) archtype, however, it is not a tier 1 deck, but it has potential to improve with new synergetic cards.
Old gwent had diplomacy NG card draw, Homecoming has this archtype aswell.
Many of the old archtypes are still in the game, people have to rediscover them before they start whining about that the complexity is gone.

I sincerely hope that devs are paying close attention to third-party information providers. It is basically these people that make Gwent worthwile for us "meta-slaves". These people experiment with different mechanics and discover different synergies and interesting plays. Devs could build on this experience and introduce complementary cards.

The game is not Gwent. It just uses the name, but it is far from it.

I like the new interface tho, so I don't mind two rows, the new leaders and such, I find it alright.

The game tho, has huge balancing issues. It is completely broken, and there's not much hope that this is going to be fixed anytime soon. So many of us are pissed not because (or only) the game is so different, but how we had to wait for 6 months for HC and getting still get a broken game.

Hello, Gwent as the name already says is a card game of the Witcher universe, so it is still Gwent however much he has changed from Beta to the current.

I understand that there is frustration from many, but it is a new game, a new Gwent if you prefer, try to see that way and get to know better with this new vision of the game.

Yes, it has changed, and this is not necessarily bad, it is an evolution that may not have pleased some, but that other people also liked.

Needs clear improvement, just like any online game and depends on the CD this task.

But this topic as the name already says, is for anyone who wants to thank and praise the current game - and yes, I played the Beta and I came first for a time of the global rank without being Pro, so I know the game and I can talk by me.

If you want to compliment, this is your space, if not happy, breathe a little, Gwent is just a game, a new game of the Witcher universe, play once in a while and enjoy the beautiful art they have always provided. :)

Totally agree with OP, I'm really liking it (and didn't even try thronebreaker yet, cause I'm waiting for the patch on the difficulty (too easy))

This is a small outburst, as I see how many complaints the game has suffered, and it seems that the forum almost 90% has been used to complain about the current game.

Yes, I really enjoyed the game, congratulations CD for the work and dedication - the game is not the same anymore, but still it is Gwent, it still is the Witcher universe!

I'm sure more people liked the current result, if you will, leave your compliment, constructive criticism help, just complaining lets us down - but compliments are good for soul too and developers are also people!

Anyway, my thanks!

I agree with you man, the game is good (bar its broken areas) and has a lot of potential. However the reason I believe HC has received so much bad press is because players feel like everything they played for leading up to HC has been trashed. The game they knew is gone and it does feel like CDPR decided to make an entirely new game.

It needs to be said that a game's esports community is paramount to its success. Therefore, the new changes should have been designed alongside pro players or the like. From most reviews ive seen from streamers (Swim,FreddyBabes etc.) it seems almost every new addition to the game (reveal, no blacklisting, two-rows, artifacts, linear card design, lack of card pool for archetypes) has put pro players off the game. And it does feel like an entirely new Gwent design team has taken the mantle and taken barely anything from Beta Gwent. The best thing to come from HC in my opinion is the provision system. I will still play Gwent because I enjoy the card art and 3 round play style. But the developers have a lot of work to do.

One final suggestion I would like to make is that CDPR need to own up and take responsibility for the effect HC has had on its Streamers and pro players. They have literally shot themselves and the game in the foot, and just a releasing a statement to the Gwent community addressing the large amount of negativity should help appease the majority of players even if they don't intend to change anything. Players are angry because they feel unheard.

it is a new game, a new Gwent if you prefer, try to see that way and get to know better with this new vision of the game.

I can only speak for myself, but this thought exactly (that Homecoming is a new game with mechanics similar to Gwent) helped me not to uninstall HC right away. I think I played HC for around 30 hours. Ironically, I played Thronebreaker more time (btw, you can also see how it was rushed as the last 2 chapters are pretty lackluster).

But this new "Gwent" game has tons of issues: both the old ones (mulligan bug, going 1st still sucks, create cards, etc) and even more new ones (I won't even try to list everything, it's been discussed countless times over the last month).
Post automatically merged:

The best thing to come from HC in my opinion is the provision system.

The idea sounded good, but the implementation is horrible. Due to the provision system:

- All decks are 25 now cards only -> less variety
- Even more netdecking since you can't easily swap cards -> less variety
- You are forced to put crappy bronzes in the deck to compensate for your good golds. Coupled with a lack of thinning and mulligans, this makes the game much more draw dependent than ever before -> didn't draw your golds? you lose
- Artifact meta shows that no matter the provision cost, people still would play OP cards

So, basically, provision system doesn't solve anything, but adds more problems.

You might argue that you can now run any number of golds, but just look at the top tier decks: it's 10+/-1 golds and 15+/-1 bronzes. And the number generally depends on whether a deck has the witchers or not.

Last edited:
- All decks are 25 now cards only -> less variety
- Even more netdecking since you can't easily swap cards -> less variety
- You are forced to put crappy bronzes in the deck to compensate for your good golds. Coupled with a lack of thinning and mulligans, this makes the game much more draw dependent than ever before -> didn't draw your golds? you lose
- Artifact meta shows that no matter the provision cost, people still would play OP cards

So, basically, provision system doesn't solve anything, but adds more problems.

You might argue that you can now run any number of golds, but just look at the top tier decks: it's 10+/-1 golds and 15+/-1 bronzes. And the number generally depends on whether a deck has the witchers or not.

Its true the provision system isn't perfect right now but, as a game designer, I can tell you it does add an extra layer of depth when it comes to balancing the game.

- All decks are 25 now cards only -- almost every competitive card game player plays with the minimum amount of cards this isn't new ( MTG-60, Eternal-75). Less cards means more consistency

- Even more netdecking since you can't easily swap cards -- Although im not a fan, netdecking is a part of competitive games and will always be most people dont have time to brew decks let alone ones that are good.

- You are forced to put crappy bronzes in the deck to compensate for your good golds. Coupled with a lack of thinning and mulligans, this makes the game much more draw dependent than ever before -> I agree with most points, but I believe these can be fixed simply with a larger card pool. More cards will create more options and variety within decks and I definitely agree with the mulligan/draw argument, however, can this not be attributed to 'no blacklist' mulligans?

- Artifact meta shows that no matter the provision cost, people still would play OP cards-- Something does need to be done with artifacts as they are possibly the least enjoyable part of the game. But again, the design of artifacts themselves doesn't provide an argument against provision system.

I can only speak for myself, but this thought exactly (that Homecoming is a new game with mechanics similar to Gwent) helped me not to uninstall HC right away. I think I played HC for around 30 hours. Ironically, I played Thronebreaker more time (btw, you can also see how it was rushed as the last 2 chapters are pretty lackluster).

Hello Esmer, I'm glad you have this thought, why I share it, it's a new game, a new Gwent!
People need to understand this.

In relation to provision, I liked it, but improvements are always welcome!

And most importantly, a game is done by your community as they said above, always!
It determines whether the game is good or not, and how much it has potential.

Stramers are not the most important of the game, but they help, if some left, others will appear, I myself do Lives in PTBR, life is like that, new players always arrive.
Whoever was broadcasting was from the old Gwent, now we have a new one, and maybe we can create a new community, I believe that and I'm happy with the current Gwent!

However, let's face it, now it depends mainly on the CDPR, whether with expansions, creating new modes (more fun perhaps, example "home of Lojo" with weekly challenges), valuing who continues to play and creating means to bring new players, and more important , I do not believe it's just putting lots of money into awards, but really improving what you have now!

CDPR you have a new game, it is a new opportunity, yes, you have had difficulties, but it is surpassing them that you become great!
That's the difference between small and large people or companies.
Use your resources wisely, listen to your community, not to change this or that in the game, but things that can add and improve!

I think it's this :LOL:

New Gwent, old Gwent, Gwent', Gwent2, I personally don't care. It is what it is and it won't change. Focusing the discussion in how this new Gwent is different from the older is counterproductive since there's nothing to be done.

What we expected is, after almost two years of beta and 6 months for HC, a non-broken game, somehow balanced, with the minimum amount of bugs. It is pretty obvious that the game was released in a rush and is unfinished. This is not acceptable. You want to change drastically your game? Alright, but dont put the players AGAIN in an endless waiting of a finished product.

People used to say Gwent had a lot of potential, two years latter people keep saying the same. Having potential alone is meaningless.

And most importantly, a game is done by your community as they said above, always! It determines whether the game is good or not, and how much it has potential.

See, this is where the problem lies. The community (both on these forums and on reddit) asked for very specific changes and also specifically asked not to implement some changes.

CDPR is (was?) known to listening to its community, but in this case they disregarded almost all of the requests.

And instead of a game which had at least one competitive (rank 21 viable) deck in each faction we now have a game with one oppressive archetype (control/removal) stretched across 3 factions (ST, SK, MS), one RNG fiesta faction (NG) and one faction hindered by poorly implemented order mechanics (NR) that require a specific leader (Foltest) to be at least semi-decent.

Moreover, it took the community a couple days (Homecoming weekend beta) to figure out the majority of these decks.

So, we went from a game with dozens of good decks and leaders to a game with 5 decks (SK control, ST control, control, RNG reveal point spam, Draug orders) and 4 leaders.

It's nice to see some positivity. :) I am still enjoying finding new combos. I am also very much looking forward to the patch next week, which will hopefully address some of the most triggering cards. If I never see woodland no units again I will be even happier with homecoming!

A side note: burza was the main person to communicate with us and he has been taking some well deserved vacations, so that explains some of the limited communication since homecoming launched.

Guys, come on ...

The game has changed, moving forward is a positive thing in life, being stuck in the past or just complaining is tiring, negative and toxic for everyone.

It is something that does and is doing badly for community, for developers and for new players, it is easy to realize do not you think ?!

Let's move on, it takes!

There are improvements that have to be made, we know that, this or that happened, okay, life goes on, it's just a game.

I think now is a new time, if you are an old player and continue at Gwent, value what you have and make suggestions for improvements, this is to be constructive and have a positive community!
I believe every healthy person desires this.

If you did not like this or that, ok, it's part ... but I really believe that we need to move on, do not you think ?!

Again, anyway ... let's be positive, independent of the game, it's just a game, but valuing our community and making it good and healthy again will be good for everyone!
And I'm sure this would also help the developers, because they are people too after all.

It's nice to see some positivity. :) I am still enjoying finding new combos. I am also very much looking forward to the patch next week, which will hopefully address some of the most triggering cards. If I never see woodland no units again I will be even happier with homecoming!

A side note: burza was the main person to communicate with us and he has been taking some well deserved vacations, so that explains some of the limited communication since homecoming launched.

Exactly my friend, I am discovering new ways to play, and I see that there are many possibilities that we do not know yet!

Old gwent had NG-Soldiers archtype. Homecoming Gwent has an equivalent (reveal) archtype, however, it is not a tier 1 deck, but it has potential to improve with new synergetic cards.
Old gwent had diplomacy NG card draw, Homecoming has this archtype aswell.
Many of the old archtypes are still in the game, people have to rediscover them before they start whining about that the complexity is gone.

I sincerely hope that devs are paying close attention to third-party information providers. It is basically these people that make Gwent worthwile for us "meta-slaves". These people experiment with different mechanics and discover different synergies and interesting plays. Devs could build on this experience and introduce complementary cards.

only other archtype aside from reveal i've seen is building a witcher deck on NG.

Let's move on, it takes!

There are improvements that have to be made, we know that, this or that happened, okay, life goes on, it's just a game.

I think now is a new time, if you are an old player and continue at Gwent, value what you have and make suggestions for improvements, this is to be constructive and have a positive community!
I believe every healthy person desires this.

If you did not like this or that, ok, it's part ... but I really believe that we need to move on, do not you think ?!

We don't need to move on at all. In fact we don't *need* to do anything. CDPR needs to adjust in function of players, not the other way around. We are the customers, they provide a service. If they provide the service we want, we pay money. If they don't, we don't pay money and we quit so we stop giving their game hype.

As much as I love CDPR, they are not the masters of my life, and I don't have to accept things which I consider terrible decisions or "be grateful" for a game that I find too broken to play. I am grateful for my friends, for my family, for the beauty I have seen in my life.

Not for rubbish game design. Sure, we can all clap hands and pretend everything is fine, but this game is going to die within a year if it keeps going this way. Call me a doomsayer, call me what you wish, but I promise you this is going to happen unless some drastic action is taken.

What we expected is, after almost two years of beta and 6 months for HC, a non-broken game, somehow balanced, with the minimum amount of bugs. It is pretty obvious that the game was released in a rush and is unfinished. This is not acceptable. You want to change drastically your game? Alright, but dont put the players AGAIN in an endless waiting of a finished product.

I believe the reason for this rush was artifact. HC and TB had to be realeased before artifact to hold or gain a bit of the marketshare. so now we can all relax cause this thing is a STEAMing pile of trash atm (glorious paywalls and more rng than you can handle on a spinning wheel of fortune) and hopefully the developers get a little time to expand the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of current gwent.
In my view control is a little too strong and combo is a little too weak. I think "balance" is very hard to achieve, cause when you shift this a bit too much, combo could stomp control completely.
At last a compliment: I played over 700 hrs and for most of the time it was fun! thanks for that cdpr and I hope you work hard for us players to have a lot of quality playtime in the future.

I believe the reason for this rush was artifact. HC and TB had to be realeased before artifact to hold or gain a bit of the marketshare. so now we can all relax cause this thing is a STEAMing pile of trash atm (glorious paywalls and more rng than you can handle on a spinning wheel of fortune) and hopefully the developers get a little time to expand the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of current gwent.
In my view control is a little too strong and combo is a little too weak. I think "balance" is very hard to achieve, cause when you shift this a bit too much, combo could stomp control completely.
At last a compliment: I played over 700 hrs and for most of the time it was fun! thanks for that cdpr and I hope you work hard for us players to have a lot of quality playtime in the future.
I think you are probably right about why the rush. Hopefully it pays off for them. I am still concerned about artifact, but hopefully the newness of it will wear off.

3 steps to make Gwent great again

1) Annonce collaboration with Richard Garfield.
2) Pay him to do nothing.
3) Profit.

The trick is marketing by building player anticipation. It is astonishing that Artifact has more than 25k players online at any given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom