Connecting PC to Home Entertainment System

+
Connecting PC to Home Entertainment System

I hope this is the right thread to ask but does anyone have experience in setting up PC to your TV and home theater systems ie replacing console. Using xbox controller or DS4 with Windows 8.1 and getting a good experience out of that? Or is everyone going to play this game as usual on PC monitor, headphones etc and m+k or controller?

I hope this is the right thread to ask but does anyone have experience in setting up PC to your TV and home theater systems ie replacing console. Using xbox controller or DS4 with Windows 8.1 and getting a good experience out of that? Or is everyone going to play this game as usual on PC monitor, headphones etc and m+k or controller?

Can't speak about win8.1. Only ever done it with win7

But I do have a setup with one PC that's connected through an HDMI cable to the TV That also has a Dolby surround connected to it. works nicely with a controller (just that I can't use controllers for long), I do however recommend getting a good wireless keyboard preferably with a integrated touch-pad to control the PC.

Something like this one
View attachment 12012

I went as far as installing a TV card in the PC. So basically it's doing everything and the TV is just a monitor.

Now would I play witcher3 like that? No. couch isn't as comfy as my leather chair and I can't play with controllers for long periods. Also my PC's surround is a lot better than the living rooms one, due to room layout. Especially considering that dumb TV I have would never be able to give of an acceptable frame rate.

And if your PC desk is in the same room as the TV you could even just add a monitor and have both PC gaming and "console" gaming in one.

Attachments

• B005DKZTMG_K400_FOB_US_lg.jpg
    B005DKZTMG_K400_FOB_US_lg.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
@Sana_mia; Thanks for the tips!

Somebody with enough rights might make a new thread for this topic..

For me it would be more comfortable to play Witcher 3 in the living room with a controller through tv and theater sound system as I do with PS4 currently. But I did get a sweet deal on a powerful PC and would like to use that one for Witcher 3 instead. Don't get me wrong I can do that but please share your experiences and tips on setting up your rig in the most comfortable setup... that'll be most helpful. Not just for me.. there might be other ones also interested in this topic and maybe get some new ideas.

If somebody thinks I'm an idiot for not just using PS4 for Witcher 3.. well I'll tell ya... yes I am an idiot :)

I hope this is the right thread to ask but does anyone have experience in setting up PC to your TV and home theater systems ie replacing console.
Yup.
Using xbox controller or DS4 with Windows 8.1 and getting a good experience out of that?
Running Windows 8.1 and using Xbox One controller. Nothing to complain about really.
Or is everyone going to play this game as usual on PC monitor, headphones etc and m+k or controller?
Whether I play the game using my monitor or TV will solely depend on how TW3 performs on higher resolutions. I prefer the monitor.

Not sure about what input method to use though. Apparently, according to previews the game plays better with a controller.. :-

If somebody thinks I'm an idiot for not just using PS4 for Witcher 3..
Oh there are real advantages to using a PC instead of a classic console.

You have none of the limitations of a console with all the power and options of a PC.
So 1080p or more is only limited by your TV's displaying capability and not by the console game locked resolution.
As an added bonus you can have those ultra specs.

Games, Youtube, netflix, blue-rays and trolling the Internet all in one device. Add in a TV receiver and you can have normal TV. Okay I could wire that cable to the TV but meh, I can record TV-programs directly to my hard-drive with the TV-card.

For those that want it is the best of both worlds. PC specs with couch gaming, a complete multi-media device and cheap PC games sales ::)

Setting it up is a bit depending on what connections your GPU has and what your TV has. These days that usually means buy a HDMI cable. Though my TV for example has a DVI option. So I can just re-use a monitor cable.

I think of going with DS4 + bluetooth keyboard/mouse and there's information on the net for DS4 connection to PC, software etc. I remember reading somewhere that TW3 might even support DS4 on PC. My only concern right now is that can I get the HP Z230 in built Realtek soundchip line out (no optical interface) to output only digital for the amp or do I need to buy a soundcard for that. Guess I'll know when I get the machine.

Thank you @eskiMoe and @Sana_mia. I feel much more confident that it's not (only) pain to replace my console with a PC in my living room. Especially that keyboard with a mousepad is useful.

Any information on what special software you gamers are using or what innovative setup you might have came up with is interesting..

EDIT: oh yeah, care to share details on those monitors you are using?? Mine is only 22" 1080p from 2011. Thinking of trying two or three monitors if I'm not happy with the living room setup. Might choke up my GTX980 in ultra tho..

Last edited:
Anyone using ipad to control w8.1? Any special software?

Thanks for Microsoft for not accepting w8 code to install w8.1. Great customer service. I hope a Griffin will eat ya :(

Anyone using ipad to control w8.1? Any special software?

Thanks for Microsoft for not accepting w8 code to install w8.1. Great customer service. I hope a Griffin will eat ya :(

Tried these workarounds for Windows 8.1 with an 8 key? The trick is to avoid giving the code when installing. After Windows 8.1 is installed, you can give it an 8 key, and it will be happy.
http://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8.1-with-a-windows-8-key/

Last edited:

Yeah tried some of them but ended up drinkin beer and installing from w8 dvd :D no biggie. W8.1 has a nice tool to clean up disk afterwards without even touching keyboard. Just pissed me off a little bit since 8.1 is a free upgrade. Thats where Apple and CDPR are ways ahead of MS. They think about their customers first.

Tried these workarounds for Windows 8.1 with an 8 key? The trick is to avoid giving the code when installing. After Windows 8.1 is installed, you can give it an 8 key, and it will be happy.
http://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8.1-with-a-windows-8-key/

That happened with 8 to 8.1? I remember exactly the same workround from XP to 7 if you were using an upgrade version and wanted to do a clean install.

And, just remembered what I wandered into this thread for...
About the "Home Entertainment" aspect of this. A few years ago, I had a wireless adapter for the rear speakers. There was a transmitter box that connected to the amp (bare-wire connectors), and a receiver that connected to the speakers (also bare-wire). I've been looking for a new one and cannot find anything ANYWHERE, even importing from overseas (which is a bit iffy with wi-fi). All anyone seems to be selling is stuff designed for smartphone/tablet use, not exactly hifi, and a few system solutions that would mean replacing my amp.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
The XP to 7 fiasco was a slightly different situation, because 8.1 was positioned as a free upgrade to Windows 8 license holders. That, when you actually tried to do it, fell on its face. This has not been the only technical problem with that upgrade.

Your wireless rear speaker adapter sounds like a Rocketfish. They're still made, Amazon and Best Buy have them, I suppose your challenge would be finding one. Amphony (uses the 5.8 GHz WiFi band) and Logitech (Bluetooth) make competitive products.

Thanks - the Amphony ones are exactly what I need, but I'll check those Logitech ones first. I'd looked there already but stopped reading at "Smartphone/Tablet".

What's the technic used between iPad YouTube and PS4 YouTube apps? Chromecast, airdrop etc. Wondering how I could get the same thing working between iPad and W8.1 PC. Without buying any chromecast dongle bullshit. Should be totally doable with software since everything is on the same LAN.

Top Bottom