Console controls need serious improvement.

+
Long story short, I've been waiting to get a new graphics card for my computer before I play Cyberpunk, but seeing as how that's likely not going to happen for another year or two, I ended up buying the game on my Xbox back in December. I barely touched the game however, because the console controls absolutely suck when it comes to aiming.

I can't get the aim sensitivity low enough to where it feels like other shooters like Battlefield or CoD. Another issue is that there doesn't seem to be X or Y 'assist zones', that assist the player in smooth, flat horizontal and vertical motions. If I try to look horizontally left and right, the camera moves up and down when I don't mean to. This is hard to describe without using technical terms, as I don't know what the assisted zones are actually called. The only other game that does this is Titanfall 2, which has always felt off for me on console.

Basically, the looking controls feel like they were meant for mouse controls, but with a really crappy 'controller' layer masked over it. I really want to play this game, but I refuse to with the controls in it's current state.

Weird :(
I'm on XBSX and I find it not too bad. Vertical and horizontal motions seem "smooth" for me (maybe my Razer, I don't know) :(
But I'm not a real expert on FPS or other shooters (apart BD3) and I'm pretty bad for aiming with a controller anyway...

If you have the right controls, a controller can be just as good as using a mouse. Call of Duty, Halo and Destiny all control almost flawlessly with a controller, but there are some games like Cyberpunk and the Metro games that just control like dump trucks lol.

Depends on everyone's preferences though I suppose. I usually like having my ADS pretty slow when using a controller because I like having finer controls over fast ones.

Edit: To clarify the horizontal movements, what I mean is when I move the camera left and right, it deviates too much vertically, when I just want it to move straight horizontally.

Yep, I tested it right now :)
Horizontally, I can do a quick full turn (360°) without the sight deviating up or down. I arrive at exactly the same level.
Vertically, it's not the same at all, it looks much less stable...
If you have the right controls, a controller can be just as good as using a mouse
Not so sure (for me at least), I always seem better with a mouse for aiming...

For example :
(I don't know if you will see what i mean if you haven't finished the game)
In all my playthrough (a lot), I never won Cassidy's gun... And I think I never will won it...
But with a mouse on PC, I'm quite sure I could :D

Last edited:
Long story short, I've been waiting to get a new graphics card for my computer before I play Cyberpunk, but seeing as how that's likely not going to happen for another year or two, I ended up buying the game on my Xbox back in December. I barely touched the game however, because the console controls absolutely suck when it comes to aiming.

I can't get the aim sensitivity low enough to where it feels like other shooters like Battlefield or CoD. Another issue is that there doesn't seem to be X or Y 'assist zones', that assist the player in smooth, flat horizontal and vertical motions. If I try to look horizontally left and right, the camera moves up and down when I don't mean to. This is hard to describe without using technical terms, as I don't know what the assisted zones are actually called. The only other game that does this is Titanfall 2, which has always felt off for me on console.

Basically, the looking controls feel like they were meant for mouse controls, but with a really crappy 'controller' layer masked over it. I really want to play this game, but I refuse to with the controls in it's current state.
It's your advanced settings under controller settings, turn everything to 0, its kills the the inner dead zone giving you something closer to COD. Hope this helps.

Little late reply, but I managed to change the settings to something closer to Halo: MCC (which has some of the tightest controls for a controller imo). I'm still running into an issue though, which is: I still can't manage to reduce the aiming sensitivity down to where I want, without having to also reduce the normal camera sensitivity. We really need to have a more flexible option when it comes to normal camera sensitivity, and ADS sensitivity.

Edit: I should also mention that this is WITH the Zoom Sensitivity Reduction maxed out at 2.

I've not noticed too many problems (probably because I'm rubbish at FPS games). But I was impressed with the dead zone settings as I could use them to counter the stick drift on a couple of my older controllers

Little late reply, but I managed to change the settings to something closer to Halo: MCC (which has some of the tightest controls for a controller imo). I'm still running into an issue though, which is: I still can't manage to reduce the aiming sensitivity down to where I want, without having to also reduce the normal camera sensitivity. We really need to have a more flexible option when it comes to normal camera sensitivity, and ADS sensitivity.

Edit: I should also mention that this is WITH the Zoom Sensitivity Reduction maxed out at 2.
Honestly, after my post here, I went there to see and test the settings of my Razer, believing that I was going to find something good (and improving my skill...)
Despite having tried a lot of things (more sensitive, less sensitive, "Focus" mode, "agile" mode,...), I came to the conclusion that it didn't really work... I'm sad to said that, but It's certainly nothing to do about the material, I'm probably just "bad" with a controler :D

Try out these settings. Obviously if you have stick drift like MrGuyton, you'll need to adjust it. Also remember to turn off Snap to Target in the Gameplay submenu.

Outer Deadzone: 1
Inner Deadzone: 0.08

First-Person Camera:
Horizontal Sensitivity: 17
Vertical Sensitivity: 10
Zoom Sensitivity Reduction: 2
Show Advanced Options: ON
Response Curve: Recommended
Horizontal Turning Bonus: 0.70
Vertical Turning Bonus: 0.20
Turning Ramp-Up Time: 0.60
Turning Delay: 0.20
Horizontal Turning (ADS): 0.70
Vertical Turning (ADS): 0.20
Turning Ramp-up Time (ADS): 0.60
Turning Delay (ADS): 0.20

Again, it's as close as I can get to feeling like how a proper FPS should feel, I just wish I would be able to turn down the aiming sensitivity a notch or two.

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
If I try to look horizontally left and right, the camera moves up and down when I don't mean to.

What you probably want is a linear deadzone. I think Cyberpunk only has a circle-shaped center dead zone, but I'm not sure. You can find out by increasing the inner dead zone.

Last edited:
Nah, the inner dead zone is how far you tilt the thumbstick before it actually moves the camera. What I was talking about was in normal games, the devs put this horizontal and vertical 'assist zones' when panning the camera left and right, up and down.

Because when a user wants to move the camera straight horizontally or straight vertically, they make what they assume to be a flat horizontal or vertical motions with their thumb, when in reality the thumbstick dips around in an imprecise movement.

I noticed something that LeKill3rFou mentioned earlier, in that the horizontal motion seems to be pretty smooth, but when I want to look up straight vertically, the camera moves left and right involuntarily because there's not a strong enough 'assist zone' that most other games have to keep my vertical movement on track.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Nah, the inner dead zone is how far you tilt the thumbstick before it actually moves the camera. What I was talking about was in normal games, the devs put this horizontal and vertical 'assist zones' when panning the camera left and right, up and down.

Because when a user wants to move the camera straight horizontally or straight vertically, they make what they assume to be a flat horizontal or vertical motions with their thumb, when in reality the thumbstick dips around in an imprecise movement.

I noticed something that LeKill3rFou mentioned earlier, in that the horizontal motion seems to be pretty smooth, but when I want to look up straight vertically, the camera moves left and right involuntarily because there's not a strong enough 'assist zone' that most other games have to keep my vertical movement on track.
The assist zones are a linear deadzone. in some games the deadzone is a combination of both center and linear, defined by the same parameter.

Ahh, I see what you mean now, and I think you're right. So basically what I've been trying to say is that CP77 only has thumbstick deadzones designed for things like stick drift, and reducing/increasing the delay between moving the thumbstick and it registering the action. What I feel the game needs is stronger linear deadzones when moving the stick along the X and Y axis to assist the player in smoother motion, which helps with landing things like headshots.

Edit: Here, I made a quick Video showing the difference between the linear deadzones of Halo 4 and Cyberpunk 2077. Again, having that assisted linear deadzone helps players make more precise movements, which helps land accurate shots during combat. The drifting seems more pronounced when using ADS.

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
Ahh, I see what you mean now, and I think you're right. So basically what I've been trying to say is that CP77 only has thumbstick deadzones designed for things like stick drift, and reducing/increasing the delay between moving the thumbstick and it registering the action. What I feel the game needs is stronger linear deadzones when moving the stick along the X and Y axis to assist the player in smoother motion, which helps with landing things like headshots.
I agree, and it would be nice if both [center and linear] could be adjusted separately.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Nice little video. You should send it to the tech support!

Another thing that I dislike about using the controller is the lack of schemes. I've swapped L3 [left stick press] with R1 on PC using another software.

Yep, nice vidéo ;)
This is exactly my feeling. Horizontally, everything is fine, but vertically, it's not good :(
(And I'm on Xbox, and with my razer, nothing to do for that. I think, I could be wrong...)

PS : But I noticed a little "mania" that I have. When I have to move the viewfinder horizontally (for aiming), the first reflex I have is to move the left stick (the body) and not the right (the view). So Cyberpunk must not be the only game to have this kind of "problem", since I do it mechanically :)

I would also like to suggest/hope that CDPR adds changing control mappings option for console players. I usually use a bumper-jumper tactical scheme as it gives me greater movement control whilst on controller, hate having to use “x” and “o” on PlayStation for jump and crouch, combat could feel a lot faster.
Another suggestion I have is also to use
camera controls, helps the RTX 30 fps mode on next gen to not feel as laggy or slow, been having a great time playing it on that mode.

Top Bottom