Constructive opinions based on the gameplay videos that are released in 2015 (NO DOWNGRADE TALK)

+
For me the only thing that annoys me are those descriptions over every creature, human or nonhuman. They just clutter the screen so much. If only they dropped them for rabbits, hens and geese it would already help.

The only thing we're missing is those descriptions over every tree and flower, preferably full species/class name in latin.

For examples of accurate but odd looking horses, look to Beowulf and Grendel ~ the correct Icelandic ponies look comically small under hulking Geat warriors... but are tireless and good across rough country.

By comparison the ingame Roach is a mighty beast indeed. (Plus the book horse(s) were whatever he could get hold of... he was distinctly unimpressed with his bay mare at first).

For me the only thing that annoys me are those descriptions over every creature, human or nonhuman. They just clutter the screen so much. If only they dropped them for rabbits, hens and geese it would already help.

The only thing we're missing is those descriptions over every tree and flower, preferably full species/class name in latin.

Well to be fair:

1. Over humanoids it makes sense.
2. That was already the case in TW2
3. As far as I could see the names only appear if you are very near to them and have your camera look in their direction
4. We know that we can customize the User Interface, so we might be able to turn those names off

I'm deeply impressed with the character models and the faces man, the faces! Geralt eyes move so realistic. I really like the overall lighting of the world too. To be honest the only thing I didn't like was the contract wall animation. In the Witcher 2 the camera zoomed to the wall, now it just appears from the bottom of the screen like a powerpoint presentation lol

Keep at it CDPROJEKT ! :victory:

Game's coming together really nice, thumbs up.
The changes to alchemy or the user interface (among other things) however don't sit that well with me, to say the least. Considering how utterly stupid and unnecessary some of these changes are I wish I had four hands so that I could give four thumbs down.

I only have a few gripes honestly. Apart from that the game looks absolutely fantastic!

-Some of the animations are a bit rough. Like the jogging one when Geralt's just getting out of the cave, (not to be mistaken with the running one, that one is fine imo), and also the jumping animation at that fence was a bit jarring.

-The hud has a bit too much clutter, experience gained on the side, damage numbers over enemies, and then a combat log showing both those again, it's a bit redundant, (not to mention it all taking up more space than needed, but I heard scaling is in so that's not an issue I suppose)

-The game choosing to show the name over the heads of every little animal like the geese and rabbits is also a bit much.

-Geralt literally whispering to Vesemir while they're on horseback talking about the Gryphon, I mean even if they were beside each other on horseback you'd still need to talk louder than just whispering.

-During that scene as well I noticed the lake water had some weird flickering, this was present in the 35 minute demo as well while Geralt was going through Novigrad, hopefully it's not some tech limitation and will be fixed by release.

-Vesemir's animation on the horse seemed to be running at a lower framerate than the horse he was on, hard to explain, but it's there, it seems to be a performance saving feature, but still, a bit of an issue nonetheless.
It was either that or his model was jittering on top of the horse giving the same effect as a lower framerate animation.

My biggest issue though is how the pop-in is handled. I know that pop-in can't be fixed, but it can definitely be mitigated. To not make it stand out so much.
Right now the various LOD levels just spontaneously switch, and it's because of that, why it's so noticeable.
What I find weird though is that CDPR had a pretty good solution in W2, instead of just making the LOD levels switch instantaneously, they had the vegetation and objects fade in, (using a dithering technique if I remember right), and it definitely helped make pop-in a lot less noticeable, and in Witcher 3 it's not present at all.

Here's an example of the pop-in in W2, (apologies for the low quality video and subpar scene to show it, I didn't have W2 installed at the moment so I couldn't video an example myself. But it shows it adequately I feel.)
[video]http://a.pomf.se/vhpqqb.webm[/video]

And an example of the pop-in in W3
[video]http://a.pomf.se/yekmeg.webm[/video]

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about the graphics effects used in games, so I'm just wondering if it's an issue of LOD fade-in taking too much render time away from the game, (because of the much higher amount of LOD's it has to switch out being an open world game) or just something else?
I felt it was a great method in W2 to reduce the visual effect of pop-in, and am wondering why they're not reusing the same method to reduce the jarring pop-in in W3.

January Gameplay Issues.

I really want this game to be perfect, so I want to point out a couple errors that I can see so they can be fixed before release.

0:45 No footprints in the snow. Should be the first step after putting snow into a game.
1:20 No hoofprints from the horse either.
2:21 Geralt says "slow down, whoa" after he jumps off the horse, which is too late of a command.
5:09 Blood on on the sand does not look natural, too much of a difference between the blood on the dead horse.
6:52 Clipping error of man's armpit. Notice the line and the stretched texure to the right.
7:40 Corners of the brickwork is too perfect, too vertical with no gaps between bricks.
10:13 Hardly any water movement.

7 problems in 12 minutes isn't bad, I'm still greatly anticipating this game (ordered the collector's edition), hopefully some of these minor things (minus the water physics which is probably a harder fix) can/should be corrected. Hopefully this thread will be noticed by or brought to the attention of those in CDPR capable of fixing them.

:hatsoff:
- Tmoney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgJUL3nN4iI

Irrelevant here, In the Witcher 3 world are they any dwarf kingdoms like in Warhammer? I really hope there are! Dwarfs are really badass!

Oh thank you, I am glad to hear that. I had entirely forgotten about that! Played The Witcher along time ago.

I seem to be the only one to feel like the sudden change is colors ( i don't know if thats the right word) are not so good or easy on the eye. i just feel like the old colors looked better and reminds more of The Witcher 1 and 2, while these new ones remind me more of DA:I and other high fantasy games.

The color change is subjective.... let me explain What I mean by that.
As a graphic designer I can tell you that how you perceive colors depends on many factors:

- material and its properties
- source of the light/lights and its properties (warm, cold, temp etc)
- lighting conditions

It's even worse because every screen display colors slightly different. Is your monitor calibrated, what's your brightness/contrast settings... do you play at night or during the day, even your background behind monitor all this affects how you see/perceive colors...

If someone wants 'dark' mood across whole game you would need to use filter or completely reduce saturation.
I'm just saying all this here to make a point that it's extremely difficult to talk about colors if you judge screenshots from different locations/day conditions and looking at not-fully calibrated screen. Give me a pastel painting and I'll transform it into fluorescent beast... ;)

Well to be fair:

1. Over humanoids it makes sense.
2. That was already the case in TW2
3. As far as I could see the names only appear if you are very near to them and have your camera look in their direction
4. We know that we can customize the User Interface, so we might be able to turn those names off

Well, I would like the option to turn all names of animals and "bystanders" off. It's enough to see names of important people who have actual names. I don't need descriptions for "dogs", "chickens", "elves" or "dwarves" everywhere. I have eyes and a brain, I can identify them myself, thanks.

What's more perplexing however is no trees whatsoever are covered in snow. You mean it's a snowed mountain top with trees on it but these are hydrophobic? Not a white leaf in there. With the kind of attention to detail you put in, this omission is intriguing. Snowless trees are in line with a general depreciation of the foliage quality when compared to previous trailers.

That can happen IRL. I'm looking out my window as I write this and the ground is covered in snow everywhere, but the trees are not. In general, trees will only get covered in snow if they are warmer than freezing temperature and therefore the snow sticks to them, or if it's really very cold and the snow is very powdery. It won't happen if the temperature is between -10 and -1, and there hasn't been any precipitation in a day. That is because it either falls off or sublimates.

The color change is subjective.... let me explain What I mean by that.
As a graphic designer I can tell you that how you perceive colors depends on many factors:

- material and its properties
- source of the light/lights and its properties (warm, cold, temp etc)
- lighting conditions

It's even worse because every screen display colors slightly different. Is your monitor calibrated, what's your brightness/contrast settings... do you play at night or during the day, even your background behind monitor all this affects how you see/perceive colors...

If someone wants 'dark' mood across whole game you would need to use filter or completely reduce saturation.
I'm just saying all this here to make a point that it's extremely difficult to talk about colors if you judge screenshots from different locations/day conditions and looking at not-fully calibrated screen. Give me a pastel painting and I'll transform it into fluorescent beast... ;)

The color change is because other way the X box one version would look like black and white, no colors. The X box version is less colorful because of the downgrade to that version in order to achieve the 1080p that wasn't possible till now.....is running at 900p. This is said by cdpr studio head.

The color change is because other way the X box one version would look like black and white, no colors. The X box version is less colorful because of the downgrade to that version in order to achieve the 1080p that wasn't possible till now.....is running at 900p. This is said by cdpr studio head.

What on earth are you talking about?

You're saying they changed the lighting or general color/art direction because the Xbox One crushes its blacks, or produces a different color temperature output? I hope I'm just having trouble understanding what the hell you're talking about because that's just outrageous.

Top Bottom