Constructive opinions based on the gameplay videos that are released in 2015 (NO DOWNGRADE TALK)

+
View attachment 9715

No armpit hair? Really? Is Geralt a grown up, independent man of the wild or a spoilt, nice little boy who read to many American fashion magazines? That's terrible..

Honestly, I have to agree here, though I don't remember him having armpit hair in The Witcher 2 as well, overall I don't really mind but an option "hairy Geralt" would be nice, maybe a DLC with the beard/hair style? Hehe ^^

then watch again.... it does drop just not instantly, it takes a few seconds

Dude, I've watched it multiple times now. It doesn't drop. Maybe it's a bug, I don't know.

I don't want to argue, I'm just sharing my observations and I can only state what I saw, sorry. Maybe the sprint wasn't long enough for the stamina bar to deplete. But then it's kind of weird that it doesn't drop at all for the first few seconds while sprinting imo.

Last edited:
game is finished there will be no changes besides small dlc

there is only waiting left now

It's true the development is finished, but who knows if there could be a Witcher 3: Enhanced Edition? We may as well give suggestions ahead of time and then make some final suggestions once the game is released and we have completed it. No game is perfect and Witcher 3 is certainly no exception. I think of Witcher 1 and 2 as masterpieces, but I'm honest when I tell people there are some flaws with both of those games. There are certain flaws in both of them that could potentially be a deal breaker for some people. Witcher 1 a lot of people don't like the combat. I can say that first hand when I've had friends who played through it and said they really liked the story, but the combat to them was awful. I think the combat is fun in Witcher 1, but do think it could be a whole lot better. Witcher 2 I think the difficulty having extreme spikes at certain areas could be a turn off to some people. In Witcher 2 there's some areas that are beginner's traps. Where if you don't know better you can easily end up fighting too many enemies, not fighting correctly or just end up walking into the wrong place at the wrong time. Those type of situations have happened to me and it's no surprise for Witcher 3 a major focus in the gameplay was difficulty balance. A lot of people had the same experience. They ran into those beginner's traps and got obliterated multiple times in only a handful of seconds. It's not hard to understand why some people would be upset at that.

Dude, I've watched it multiple times now. It doesn't drop. Maybe it's a bug, I don't know.
literally scrolled through the whole video (15 min january gameplay video) and looked at all the times Geralt sprinted and EVERY single one of them he lost stamina, just not as soon as he started sprinting, like 2 or 3 seconds after the started

Its funny i dont want to say downgrade OP, but if u watch the video closely then in the end, u see the true trailer of the game, with the true textures, i see a big difference in there, i am not sure what u guys think, but i still think its lower-res compared to the trailer in the end of the video.

Its funny i dont want to say downgrade OP, but if u watch the video closely then in the end, u see the true trailer of the game, with the true textures, i see a big difference in there, i am not sure what u guys think, but i still think its lower-res compared to the trailer in the end of the video.

Didn't you read the intial post? We don't discuss that here. We only discuss footage made in 2015. If you want to talk about the Sword of Destiny trailer and its graphics feel free to post in the respective Downgrade thread.

And really, it's horrible to begin a sentence with "I don't want to do X" if you do exactly that afterwards.

View attachment 9715

No armpit hair? Really? Is Geralt a grown up, independent man of the wild or a spoilt, nice little boy who read to many American fashion magazines? That's terrible...

And on a second note: there is something wrong with the anatomy here. There shouldn't be a strain of muscle directly in the armpit. ;)

Don't be a dick to Geralt because he may, or may not have a few muscles you, and I have. Hair in different places, and possibly a mutant penis, or two. Nothing is wrong with being a near monster created from magical plants.

Don't be a dick to Geralt because he may, or may not have a few muscles you, and I have. Hair in different places, and possibly a mutant penis, or two. Nothing is wrong with being a near monster created from magical plants.
Come on, stop with these "everything is ok because Geralt is a mutant" posts. It's not funny anymore and definitely not "constructive feedback"...

Come on, stop with these "everything is ok because Geralt is a mutant" posts. It's not funny anymore and definitely not "constructive feedback"...

The full effects of his mutation are not totally known however it is noted to have at least changed the color of his hair. So the idea that he doesn't have pit, and chest hair isn't totally out of the realm of possibility. Although I agree with you that Geralt should be a hairy man.

About the armpit - is it really that hard to raise your arm and check that your biceps indeed goes straight there? And I am a skinny guy.

Alright well there is something I noticed, and sort of liked. Although not in "good" way.

The crossbow that Geralt fires sounds like a gun going off. Added to the fact that he holds it like somebody would hold a sawed off shot gun only adds to the hilarity. Might want to consider reworking the Foley on that.

Two Issues I had with the footage:
The snow!:
-It didn't sound like snow, this shouldn't be that difficult as many games before have had good snow sound effects.
-It was just a flat texture, no piles of snow anywhere it just didn't even seem remotely realistic.
-No footprints were left behind in it.
What I was hoping for is piles of snow and areas that are hard to walk in like in AC3 (Though not as movement impairing maybe a, let's say, 20% drop in speed)
Wall Texture:
-The wall texture behind the guards is appears improperly placed
-I am no expert on this but does bump mapping exist on vertical textures like walls as well? Could it be that the bump mapping was not done for this wall texture yet? I mean the wall at Novigrad looks great.

Not expecting a complete overhaul of the snow but I am guessing the footprints and sound effects will be proper on release. The Wall texture thing is probably one of those things that fall into the 'polishing' category as well.

The latest video looked pretty good, I've only got a handful of complaints, some of which might be unfinished elements or not present at whatever graphics settings the video has.

-No footsteps in the snow.
-No unique sounds for footsteps on snow, especially bad with Roach. I hope he doesn't sound like that on dirt roads, too.
-The shadow of Roach's tail doesn't line up with the rest of his shadow
-The brick walls lacking any mapping at the Nilfgaardian camp were really ugly.

The HUD is apparently customizable, so that's all the issues I have with it.

my few negative observations

pop-in - I know it can't really be eliminated, but I am quite sure it can get much better
same with clipping - especially through the vegetation - sometimes there is a collision, sometimes Geralt goes right through the bush and that is pretty weird - it could be at least consistently good or bad
snow - if there has ever been a downgrade, it is probably in this department
View attachment 9717
this looks like a winter with the snow naturally pilling up, while the snow right now is just an ugly flat texture
flat surface textures - while for example the clothing and weapon work is superb, ground and walls look flat

Attachments

• 4b51516f61.jpg
    4b51516f61.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 43
My opinion on the new gameplay footage

Cons:

1. Geralt's face. I've been saying it for the past two years. His hair and beard should be white because "white wolf". I also noticed some NPCs have a better model.

2. The sound of the horse's hooves. It should change depending on what it's walking/running on. Like snow (which sucks too) or paved street or sand and so.

3. Some problems with the camera and animation when opening doors.

4. A little bit too colorful, like in The Witcher 2. I prefer The Witcher 1's atmosphere.

5. HUD not good. Big and ugly. Good thing we'll be able to scale it.

6. Again and again I see CDPR leaning to the path of "pleasing everyone". This is The Witcher. It's a unique game, keep it unique. How? Stick to the lore.

Goods:

1. The atmosphere. Damn the music, and the environment and everything is so perfect. Thumbs up! ;)

2. The variety. Variety of atmospheres, faces, and personalities. I really love when developers give special care to little details.

3. Everything else is amazing. I'm really proud of you guys. I know you work very hard to make this game amazing and then you see us talking about the negatives, but remember no matter how nitpicking we are, we do it because we love you and we want this game to be perfect and original.

Good luck, my friends :)

Last edited:
About the armpit - is it really that hard to raise your arm and check that your biceps indeed goes straight there? And I am a skinny guy.

Anatomically speaken, the problem is actually not the biceps (which indeed start directly above the armpit) but the position/location of the armpit itself. If you put your arm up and back like Geralt did in the picture I've posted the position of the armpit (where the biceps ends) should be in about the same height as his neck. In the picture his armpit is on about the same height as the middle of his breast which is anatomically impossible.

But I guess that the biceps is just too "stretched" in the scene. It should end a bit higher and then the armpit would again be correctly located. ;)

Cons:

1. Geralt's face. I've been saying it for the past two years. His hair and beard should be white because "white wolf". I also noticed some NPCs have a better model.
Actually his hair is whiter than in any screenshots or video we've seen in the past week or months...

4. A bit too colorful, like in The Witcher 2. I prefer The Witcher 1's atmosphere.
Skellige Islands = colorful
No man's land = dark and grey

Variety is king imo.

6. Again and again I see CDPR leaning to the path of "pleasing everyone". This is The Witcher. It's a unique game, keep it unique. How? Stick to the lore.
Indeed. But what do you mean in specific based on the new footage?

Last edited:
Generally it looks pretty good. Lot's of unique face geometry. Interesting situations. Everything is consistent with lore and first two games. Not bad.

A few minor criticisms:
- Geralt's eyes are slightly too big.
- Huge power bars over the enemies. It should be possible to toggle these off, or possibly shrink them or hide them part of the time (such as if you've seen that enemy before and have experience fighting it).
- Too few dialog options in all the scenes shown. (Hopefully you get more in other parts of the game.)
- Quest markers? It should be possible to toggle these off.

Top Bottom