Constructive opinions based on the gameplay videos that are released in 2015 (NO DOWNGRADE TALK)

+
Constructive opinions based on the gameplay videos that are released in 2015 (NO DOWNGRADE TALK)

This thread is created to allow forum members to discuss the new gameplay videos that are released in 2015 prior to the launch of the Witcher 3. We do not discuss the videos released before 2015, and we do not compare the 2015 videos with the ones released in 2014 or prior. If there are no comparisons, then there should be no talk of downgrades. So we judge the game as it is in 2015. We can discuss every aspect of the game and give constructive opinions to CDPR team. We should keep in mind that the main features are locked, and the game is not going to get changed dramatically. So we should discuss improvements that can be made to the game as it stands.
I will try to upload links to the new gameplay videos that are released in 2015.

The first video is the gameplay from the live session.

Gmaeplay from GDC 2015.

PAX EAST gameplay.

First 15 minutes of Witcher 3 (IGN)

Last edited:
Well okay, here goes. As one of the big complainers here I am mostly pleased with what I saw.
Every character, area and location seems unique and with a personality of it's own.
I enjoy the many small touches and the combat/animations seem smoother than ever before.
The conversations are amazing and the dialogue spot on.

When looking at my complaints I can say that they mostly consists of very rough edges and things that pop out.
Textures seem to lack detail when looking at those handsome faces and armour, most noticeably in the scene with the two guards near a brick wall.
The pop in seems quite severe (50 trees popping in at once) and sometimes Geralt seems to bounce of objects.

As a concern I wonder about the dynamic weather, I have not seen it come back in footage yet at all.

Just watched the 3gb uncompressed verson. It looks stunning. Mostly impressed by the faces (huuuge improvement over witcher 2) and the far sight distance.
Also love the atmopshere when it's windy and how the trees move, like 9.25 in the video. (and the music)
Absolutely adore the living world. People doing their stuff, talking to each other etc. I will probably spent hours just listening to the people,

Two small complaints:
There are no footprints in the snow. Please fix it
Some bad wall textures. You can see it during conversations. But to be honest I don't really care, because I will be busy to listen to the people and admire their great face animations. And in such a big game, there will be always some bad textures. As long as this won't be the case frequently, I would prefer if they spent the next 3 months with bug fixing.

Last edited:
game is finished there will be no changes besides small dlc

there is only waiting left now
Yes.
As I mentioned in the original post the features are locked, but improvements can be made to the game as it stands. Smaller improvements such as improving textures, animations, HUD, inventory system, and so on.
And the thread's purpose is for us to discuss what we think, and we cannot assume that it is going to affect the final product :)

I am very happy with the game. I think they have done a good work, graphical wise there are some highs and downs but I find it normal for a title of this scope. Even the reported bugs (which they have time to limit and correct) are to be considered fairy normal and expected, afer all they delayed the game for this reason.
The world is full with personality, the impact of the game as a whole, from the little we have appreciated, seems stunning. I think it's MUCH more difficult to pour personality and greatness in a game than solving mere technical problems. I only hope they don't have excessively streamlined the experience to please newcomers and casuals but in the end I can understand that selling the game is indeed important. The new combat seems fine and refined but I enjoyed the one in TW2 as well (played with controller). Writers seems to be enthusiasts about their story and I trust them.

What to say.. I think it's going to be the great game we are waiting for.. Maybe some bug will survive at launch but they'll be patched soon because we know well how CDPR support their games after launch. The only major problem lies in waiting ;)

I restrict myself to "negative" feedback here (everything I don't mention is probably already great...):

• the walking (and especially running) animation could be improved a lot (compare it for example with Assassin's Creed)
  • Geralt is running too fast. That looks just ridiculous and unrealistic outside of combat.
  • that mouse+keyboard controls are obviously not ready yet worries me A LOT...
  • no footsteps in the snow, neither by Geralt nor by his horse
  • facial animations coulde still be improved (LA Noire ist still a lot better than W3 here aka the gold standard...)
  • combat looks a bit too repetitive with too little actual tactics/strategies involved (e.g. against big enemies like the griffon)
  • Geralt's skirt/long jacket armours still look ridiculous imo (I hope we don't need them...)
  • quest navigation is way too intrusive (I hope that you can hide it without the need to hide the complete minimap)
  • the names popping up all the time in villages (even animal descriptions like "hen") annoy me. I hope on PC they will only be shown when we put the mouse over them.
  • to be continued...

What I liked:
I like how thick the vegetation is at times

I like the character models and much of the enviroments

I like the music

I like how vegetation moves when you pass by it

I liked the wind affecting the trees and such

Combat looked fun.

I liked how active and comfy the village Vesemir and Geralt went to seemed (Children playing, people working, animals, etc)

I liked that voice actors seem varied among people

I liked Aard affecting and breaking objects.

What I didn't like or noticed that could be worked on:

I noticed a few weird animations. Him jumping over that one wall looked a bit weird, his hair clips into his scarf a bit at times, sword sheath looked weird at bits.

The sounds of the horse hooves could be a bit more dynamic and changing. depending on material it's walking on. Not a big issue to me, just something I noticed.

The HUD is a bit too large, maybe it's HUD scaling due to probably being played on a large TV. Who knows. I'd like options to disable things, even if I have to use console commands.

Door opening was a bit weird, not a big deal.

I watched uncompressed version and it looks stunning! But there are things I dont like:
1. Pop-in: Really noticable on vegetation, I hope that this will be fixed as optimisation continues.
2. Some flat textures: Like many already said, that brick wall looks so flat, texture is really nicely done but it needs a bit of depth.
3. Few animations need a bit of work, but nothing serious.

Here is my critique:

-Really weird looking hair in some places.

-Animations seem very stiff in cutscenes.

-Some of the voice acting is spotty.

- The snow is just a flat texture, there isn't any depth to it at all and the sound effects doesn't sound like someone walking in the snow, nor do the animations reflect that.

-Some Textures look kinda low rez. Some Bump mapping would be nice as well.

- Some of the NPC models look better than Geralt's model, which is strange.

-A little bit of pop in when you look up ahead but it could be alot closer so this doesn't bother me that much. Hopefully it's adjustable like in Arma III.

-Horse sound effects need tweaking. I would also remove the horse stamina bar and put it on the mini map like how RDR did it.

That's all I can think of right now. All in all it seems like a really fun game, but I am waiting to see the reception that people have before I pick it up. Hopefully they use some of the feedback here to improve the game.

Great initiative, I greatly approve of this thread.

Latest video was stunning, no doubt about it. The only complaints that I'd have is the fact that Geralt used his silver sword against the griffin (a pre-conjuction monster) and that door/gate opening still seems rather clunky. Nothing that can't get fixed come release.

The one thing I loved beyond compare is Geralt saying "Not so fast Roach" when he stopped atop of that mountain, a nod to the lore geeks among us (Geralt talks to his horse a lot) and a very subtle way of implementing feedback to the player that he/she has slowed down/stopped by means of audio cues.

Last edited:
Too bad animations, especially when Geralt jumps.
HUD is too big.
The static snow.
Textures quality is fluctuating.
Too many quest markers.

The HUD is simple to fix, but for the other flaws...I don't think that in 3 months they will be fix.

Positive
- architecture, location design and ascetics absolutely amazing, if someone can make believable medieval setting it is no one other than CD
- faces, cloths design
- no loading screens
- big open landscapes, living human settelments
- combat and attack animations
- fast and jumping Geralt

Negative

- UI is terrible and ugly, it looks amateurish, transparent background is a muss
- Crossbow slot on back looks odd, i would prefer it on legs or belt.
- Labels for every animal
- game is way too colorful i want at least one fucking place with is grey or looks like killing monsters trailer

Honestly everything looked great to me. I don't really have any issues or complaints except one thing - the sound of Roach's hooves on the different terrains didn't change. So when Geralt was galloping up the snowy parts it still sounded like he was on a paved street. It's literally the smallest thing ever and even if it's not addressed it won't be a problem but it's just something that I noticed.... I kind of like it when I'm playing games with horses and the sound of them stepping on different ground gives you different sounds.

But also I just wanted to add that the stuff about the horses getting scared/throwing Geralt off sounds awesome - and I love that in this game the horses will behave realistically, rather than like a fantasy game version of a car. Thank you for this, CDPR :)

facial animations coulde still be improved (LA Noire ist still a lot better than W3 here aka the gold standard...).
ofcourse a game MAINLY about seeing if a person is lying through their facial animations (LA NOIRE) is going to have better animations than a game like this.
they spent millions on that tech alone

game is way too colorful i want at least one fucking place with is grey or looks like killing monsters trailer
You havent seen (i recon) most of the areas yet in the game.....

HUD is too big.
it can be scaled

Geralt is running too fast. That looks just ridiculous and unrealistic outside of combat.
Geralt is fast, and it didnt seem unrealistic to me, i can run faster than that IRL

Yep, I dig it, the only things that need work on... are them horse sounds while walking in the snow etc.... RDR did it well and just pop in, but al in al it looks like great fun! ;)
I like the music and everything else a lot!

game is way too colorful i want at least one fucking place with is grey or looks like killing monsters trailer

Color pallette was awesome in the debut gameplay video. Then it got continuously more colorful. Don't know why they did it.

Then again,Witcher 2 was also too colorful.

Yep, I dig it, the only things that needs work on... are them horse sounds while walking in the snow etc.... RDR did it well, and just the pop in, but all in all it looks like great fun! ;)
I like the music and everything else a lot!

Top Bottom