Consuming the same corpse twice

+

Guest 3945410

Consuming the same corpse twice

This is how I often play the 1st round when using my favorite Monster deck:

1. Play Eredin (10).
2. Play an Ekimmara who consumes Eredin (16). This also places Eredin in the graveyard.
3. Play a Ghoul who consumes Eredin (14).

By playing these 3 units I'm left with 30 strength on the board, and pass. The opponent usually either forfeits that round, or sacrifices card advantage to win. And I get to keep either Ekimmara-Eredin (16) or Ghoul-Eredin (14) for the 2nd round.

I don't think it makes sense to be able to consume the same individual unit twice. When I use the Ekimmara on Eredin he should be eliminated, not go to the graveyard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold up, don't go spreading our monster faction secrets to the wind like that!

Also, I totally love doing that. Another fun one is playing toad to eat the manticore then ghouling to eat him again.

But back to the consumption thing. Double consuming in this case is a matter of the mechanic of how ekkimara's devour and how ghouls devour.

They're different mechanics at the moment. They drain, so to speak, while ghouls consume. (Grave hag's work like ghouls as well)

Because these mechanics affect different board areas, field vs graveyard, they work with different card strengths. If someone were to reduce Eredin's strength before he died, the benefit the ekkimara receives would go down as well.

It's because the Ekimmara only drained Eredin's blood and the Ghoul ate his body :D

Jokes aside, I think it's the way the game mechanics are implemented. One consumes the unit on the battlefield (and sends it to the graveyard), whereas the other consumes a unit in the graveyard.
I think it's fine the way it is, since Monsters faction have very less in terms of getting card advantage and resurrection compared to other factions.

There are also ways in which it can be countered. Ones that easily come to mind are weather, which can nerf both units to 1. Double scorch if it's a Scoia player :)

Neither ghoul nor Ekimmara are immune to frost. I would use Aeromancy and reduce your 30 points to 2. The 1 or 2 other cards I would have played would win the round. Next round I would focus on card advantage through Ciri, Yaevinn, decoy (if I had it), and etc. I think the mechanic is fine as it is, because it's counter-able with appropriate cards and/or strategy.

Guest 3945410

Symptomattic;n7114010 said:
Hold up, don't go spreading our monster faction secrets to the wind like that!

Nilfgaard will inevitably be my main faction, so I might as well conduct a bit of Monster sabotage for the time being. ;)

Symptomattic;n7114010 said:
But back to the consumption thing. Double consuming in this case is a matter of the mechanic of how ekkimara's devour and how ghouls devour.

They're different mechanics at the moment. They drain, so to speak, while ghouls consume. (Grave hag's work like ghouls as well)

Because these mechanics affect different board areas, field vs graveyard, they work with different card strengths. If someone were to reduce Eredin's strength before he died, the benefit the ekkimara receives would go down as well.

Good points. When you put it that way (drain versus devour), it does make more sense. A body can be buried after being drained.

TheShift;n7114610 said:
Will Nilfgaard make the beta? or full game
If i remember correctly from the last stream Nilfgaard will arrive sometime next year before beta ends. Maybe we will find more on this week's stream.

Rawls;n7114110 said:
Neither ghoul nor Ekimmara are immune to frost. I would use Aeromancy and reduce your 30 points to 2. The 1 or 2 other cards I would have played would win the round. Next round I would focus on card advantage through Ciri, Yaevinn, decoy (if I had it), and etc. I think the mechanic is fine as it is, because it's counter-able with appropriate cards and/or strategy.

Yeah, I wanted post exactly this. On lower levels I played only against weather monsters and I always mulliganed my Aeromancy / Hailstorm. Now I actually meeting more monster deck based around Ghouls / Toad / Frightener, so I learned keep weather against them.

Ekkimara eats part of the unit, the Ghoul eats the rest. Makes sense to me. Also, its not like your units devour the same unit on the field. 1 does it on the field and the other does it in the graveyard.

Yeah, that does seem fine to me and well explained in this thread. After the ghoul's done with it, the rest goes to McDonalds for the nuggets. GG.

Top Bottom