Control system ruins game for me.

+
I've had it with folks saying TW1 combat has depth and TW2 is just shallow action gaming. The hard fact is TW2 requires greater twitch skill, more planning, and more awareness about your position on the battlefield. You can't get away with just timing clicks with one button and expect enemies to stand by. TW2's system is about as realistic as it gets when it comes to enemy AI. You have to use WASD, space, right and left mouse buttons for all they're worth. It's so much harder because you do everything yourself.

In this scheme, you can't have point and click combat, or even a strict isometric view. It's not compatible with the current system.

Numbnumb said:
One note. WASD works if you are right handed. For left handers and for those who have no choice but to use their left hand for the mouse it becomes a twister. The saving grace is that the game does allow you to reassign the WASD keys to the up/down/left/right arrows.

Just not to certain keys including I and K which many left-handed players use in place of WASD (IJKL).

A ridiculous oversight(?) by CDP on hardcoding controls in a PC game. I'm still baffled by this. I had to rig up third party software to remap keyboard buttons in order to remap certain keys.

Controls in TW1 was made to give players choice to play WSAD standart RPG or Diablo-like hack'n'slash. Remo is right that TW2 was written on multiple consoles and H'n'S controls were unable to be implemented.

Wolf

i've got no problem with wasd, but i really found witcher2 in general to be a lot less responsive and frustrating than witcher 1. especially the interrupts when you get hit, i've started my second playthrough, i'm on hard difficulty and i'm really struggling to get past the fight with dimitri about the troll's head!

Sadly I agree with the OP. I find it very cumbersome to use the WASD keys in this game. It seems to me that it would have behooved the developers to accommodate both players, those that are competent at using WASD and feel comfortable doing so as well as those that prefer the old TW1 way (which I personally prefer) as then it accommodates both players instead of providing only one method and have some players walk away from a very enjoyable game and maybe not bother to return to any of this developers games in the future as the controls left a bad enough taste in their mouths to never want to try another pcdr project again.

For me it probably wouldn't have been such a big deal other than when I was playing TW2, there was always this weird little delay between pressing the keyboard keys and the character actually moving. Don't know if that was ever fixed (assuming it was actually broken in the first place) but I'm reinstalling TW2 now to see if it's been improved or 'enhanced' as that was probably the number one reason that I didn't want to continue playing the game.

I used WASD for Witcher 1 and much prefer it to the point and click to move.

I must admit I have noticed that Witcher 2 uses more keys than other recent games. I use a Nostromo keypad with 20 keys, which is enough for every other game I've ever played, except I'm having difficulty setting it up for Witcher 2.

One problem is that you cannot access the Inventory, Character, Journal, Map screens by clicking from within any of these menus. As a result, it becomes necessary to map four separate keys for each of these menus. In many games, I can map one key to the Inventory menu and then access any of the other menus from that screen. It doesn't help that these keys can only be remapped by editing the .cfg file, and cannot be changed within the Input Options GUI menu.

Also, it doesn't appear to be possible to map any keys to mouse wheel scroll up, scroll down, even if I remap the letter "I" to mouse wheel scroll in my mouse driver software, for example, and combinations of keys don't seem to work (for example "Ctrl+X" "Alt+X" etc.).

BELOW I WILL SHOW HOW TO CHANGE THE MOUSE CONTROLS

WASD fails for this kind of game... this is not an over the head game... its better played over shoulder like Fallout 3 and Dragon Age...

FPS gamers dont use WASD because its too hard to lean and reload and many other functions at the same time if you have your finger on the W key the entire time.

Therefore FPS gamers rely on the mouse to execute the most common command (move forward).

To change the Mouse Controls in The Witcher Enhanced just download AutoHotKey and make a [name].ahk file with the lines.....
-----------------------------------
RButton::W
XButton1::RButton

and run it. This makes the right mouse button send the W key (go forward) and the side mouse button do what the right use to (magic commands).

This would not work in GlovePIE because GlovePIE would inturn recapture the right mouse button again (making the side mouse button move you forward as well).

Your Welcome. Have fun with a now corrected game.

dlevere said:
What DocRemo said. I agree with everything that he said.

I was FORCED to buy a gamepad because of the cumbersome WASD system. I was FORCED to buy a new graphics card just to play this game.

At least give us the choice of whether we can use the mouse or not. And go back to the old dice look and get rid of the QTE's.

You weren't FORCED to do squat. Vast majority of games use WASD controls, vast majority of people prefer and use WASD controls when given the option. WASD has been a staple for almost 2 decades. You chose to buy a controller, nobody forced you. Btw, I tried playing TW2 with a controller on a friend's xbox. yuck...

WASD gives you the ability to move one way while moving your camera with the mouse in the opposite direction, that comes very handy in fights.

Drakrats said:
I completely agree....so much so that i'm on the verge of just giving up.
I really wanted to make it work but it's just akward and fiddly.
Sure i haven't played many PC games and this was always the reason why. I just hate keybopard commands.
I know i come from a console background but The Witcher 1 was just so easy to contol...so enjoyable to play, but now.....no....It's just not the same.
Perhaps i'll go and play Skyrim that i'd put aside until i'd finished The Witcher 2......

So your complaint seems to be:
"I don't play many PC games because I don't like the controls".
"CDPR made controls like most other computer games and I don't like that! Change them!".

Do you realize how insane that sounds? You want them to make a PC games with controls that are NOT like controls used for most games? wtf... if you don't like PC controls, fine, use the stupid controller or don't play the games, don't demand a developer to INTENTIONALLY screw up their controls so that non-PC gamers can use them.

TW2 controls are absolutely top notch, don't change a thing please for TW3.

Purpleknight said:
For me is too easy to understand the complaint. It started with two options and ended with only one (Will The Witcher 3 have 0 options? Yeah, BAD joke). The more options, more happy people you'll have, because not everybody is comfortable with the same game systems.

I LOVE WASD control system because is very friendly to "fast-paced action", but not everyone is friendly with fast-paced action, so there are people that like other systems more tactical/strategical/whatever-alike with mouse control, for example.

To sum up:
-The Witcher 1: HI TACTICAL AND REAL-TIME-ACTION FANS!
-The Witcher 2: HI REAL-TIME-ACTION FANS!
-The Witcher 3: HI!

I'm afraid you summed it up wrong... TW1 had nothing for real-time-action fans. Sure the story was solid but the combat was a complete snooze fest. It had all of the excitement of playing whack-a-mole. See the sword icon light up, press a button, why how very fun!

tekworm said:
Just not to certain keys including I and K which many left-handed players use in place of WASD (IJKL).

A ridiculous oversight(?) by CDP on hardcoding controls in a PC game. I'm still baffled by this. I had to rig up third party software to remap keyboard buttons in order to remap certain keys.

You know you can change key bindings in the launcher, right?

zdanman said:
FPS gamers dont use WASD because its too hard to lean and reload and many other functions at the same time if you have your finger on the W key the entire time.

Uh oh.

Necro thread, everyone. Please take note of the dates of the posts you're replying to. The chances are fairly high that they're not listening.

@zdanman... you're right.

What PC games need right now is a total revolution with controls: let's take our suffered keyboard and let's grants the retirement to our hand which doesn't handle the mouse.!!!

Wait... I'm too old for this. />/>

@second... never it's too late! ;)/>

zdanman said:
BELOW I WILL SHOW HOW TO CHANGE THE MOUSE CONTROLS

WASD fails for this kind of game... this is not an over the head game... its better played over shoulder like Fallout 3 and Dragon Age...

Therefore FPS gamers rely on the mouse to execute the most common command (move forward).

To change the Mouse Controls in The Witcher Enhanced just download AutoHotKey and make a [name].ahk file with the lines.....
RButton::W
XButton1::RButton

and run it. This makes the right mouse button send the W key (go forward) and the side mouse button do what the right use to (magic commands).

This would not work in GlovePIE because GlovePIE would inturn recapture the right mouse button again (making the side mouse button move you forward as well).

Your Welcome. Have fun with a now corrected game.

thank you so much for this. I can never play WASD on PC games due to an issue with my left hand (I'm also right handed).

I don't understand why people insult those who prefer mouse control over keyboard controls. There are valid reasons why people don't like to use the keyboard (handicapped, preferences) and to have this option not available in this game, when it was part of the first one, is a confusing issue to me. It was a great option for most casual gamers (like I am).

Hopefully this option returns for TW3. This tip helped out and thank you for offering it.

Top Bottom