Controller suddenly stopped working with Witcher 3 PC - Please Help!

+
Hey all. My controller has suddenly stopped working with Witcher 3 (and only Witcher 3 it still works fine with other games). I thought it may have been due to Windows 10 update but I rolled that back and it still isn't working. I've tried restarting and even reinstalling the game but no joy.

I've tried with an Xbox Elite Controller 2 and an Xbox One controller both wired and wirelessly. Game has previously been modded although I've ensured that all modded content has been deleted on uninstall so that it is a purely vanilla install on reinstallation.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be really grateful!

If you are on Steam, it‘s possible you somehow enabled a steam setting that‘s preventing the controller from working. Did you take a look at the controller related steam settings?

I‘d also check out the Elite Controller settings. Perhaps try uninstalling & reinstalling these controller drivers.

Also keep in mind that TW3 mods can affect save games, so removing them won‘t always undo things. If the controller only stops working after loading a save game, in that case I‘d suggest loading an older save game that isn‘t affected by mods.

Also, you can try this:

Thanks very much for the message. I eventually got to the bottom of it and got it sorted. The windows update seemed to interfere with a key mapping software that was open but not being used, tweaked a setting or two and and now it's all good. Thanks again for taking the time. :)

How did you fix the problem? I haven't played the witcher 3 since Dec '19 and returned to it today to find the LT and RT not working. No mods or anything done to my game. Every other button works but the joysticks for movement are acting a bit funny too. Geralt will normally run at a slow pace when the joystick is moved in the up position when outside. Unless inside a cave or house he walks like normal. He sprints when pressing A like normal. I've tried recalibrating the controller also and nothing. Really annoying. Game is barely playable without being able to cast signs and use witcher senses.

I'm playing on PC windows 10 with regular Xbox one controller.
Post automatically merged:

I also found this solution on a steam forum. It sort of fixed my problem. Still can't quite get witcher senses to work. Just have to click on my keyboard. It's annoying. Hopefully this will help anyone else.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update and Xbox controller issue
8/30/2016 UPDATE: Fix is now available from Microsoft under Windows Update KB3176938.

------------------------------------------------
It appears Microsoft changed their XInput driver in their latest Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

One workaround is to roll back to the original XInput drivers by following the steps below:

1) Go to the below Microsoft site and download the original XInput device driver. Unfortunately, this site only works with Internet Explorer. Most Windows 10 systems do come with IE preinstalled but you'll need to launch it manually. Simply type Internet Explorer in the "Ask me anything" search box and you'll find it. Launch IE and copy/paste the URL below.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=xinput

2) There are two driver packages available, but they should both be the same. Add one of them to the basket and initiate the download. Unpack the loose driver files from the CAB file you just downloaded by using an archiving tool such as WinRAR.

3) Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop and type device manager in the search box. Click Device Manager from the menu.

4) From the device list, locate Human Interface Devices and click the right arrow to expand the list.

5) From the list, locate and right-click XINPUT compatible HID device and select the Update Driver Software... option. If you have an Xbox One Elite Controller, there should be an item listing that specifically calls the ELITE controller.

6) From the pop-up menu, select Browse my computer for driver software (the bottom option)

7) On the next page, click the "Let me pick from a list of... option.

8) On the next page, click the Have Disk... button.

9) In the pop-up dialog menu, select the Browse button and point it to the folder where you previously extracted the loose driver files.

10) Select xinputhid.inf from the list and click Open/OK/Next to complete the driver installation.

11) Close the Device Manager and you should be all set!

Last edited:
Top Bottom