Controllers have at least 24 easy to access buttons, plz let us remap.

+
Controllers have at least 24 easy to access buttons, plz let us remap.

Controllers have at least 24 easy to access buttons, if you use the left and right bumpers as shift keys. 4 face buttons and 2 triggers.

Even more if you include 4 dpad buttons and the 2 controller stick buttons, that's potentially 12 x 4 = 48 buttons!!

48 potential buttons all while being able to easily move and aim your character. If you provide a small onscreen controller map showing you which skills are on which button currently, the user does not have to memorize any button.

Tera does this type of button mapping and control, and it works great. It lets you assign any skill on the 4 face buttons, 2 triggers, and 4 dpad buttons (10). Then by holding left bumper you get 6 more buttons (lb + 4 face buttons, 2 triggers), hold right bumper 6 more buttons, hold left and right bumper 6 more. A total of 28 buttons!

I actually use the left and right dpad to cycle through 2 extra skill trays with 1 press of a button, giving me 28 buttons x 3 = 84 possible skills. All while being able to move my character and aim at the same time.

PLEASE don't ever say a controller does not have enough buttons! just see how TERA does it. Skill wheels and slowing down time is not needed.

At least let us remap controller buttons on the pc version.

This would be pretty cool actually, since I dislike the radial menu but I like playing games with this kind of third person close combat with a gamepad.

Mapping the signs to buttons would be a great implementation, and would make the combat even more fluid.

Like:
R2+Triangle = Air spell
R2+Square = Igni spell
R2 (double tap) = 5th spell (or make some other button combination).

I would love if this option is made available for the PS4 (manual button mapping for skills), and it will make my 100 hours that I plan to spend in the game more enjoyable :)

Reading some journalist impression with the game so far.

I'd like to also add, I use the up and down dpad in TERA to control the camera zoom. Works great when I switch from out doors to indoors.

Give us an option to map these controls and display an onscreen controller map. Me and my friend can show you how much easier it is to control a 3rd person character with 40 skills, character movement and aiming, and camera zoom controls, all on a standard controller.

I'm always surprised that not only do developers severly limit what you can do with the controler but how adamant they seem to be that you can't remap things. Frankly especially in W2. The only game I can think of that had you using the whole thing all the time were the Arkham series. I really hope we can remap the buttons and reconfigure them how we like.

Thinking more about this:

Circle - Surface / Climb / Dodge / Jump, [Hold] Roll / Dismount

Wouldn't holding Circle to Roll make the movement somewhat less immediate? It'd feel sluggish if it gets implemented in this way. Like you see a griffon come at you, and you hold the button, but by the time the button reacts, the griffon has already hit you.

A better way to implement it may be to use another key, like L2+Circle for instant rolls.

(Holding L2 for block seems fine though, as a quick tap lets you parry)

P.S - This comment is for PS4 controls.

They wanted the "hold" to roll thing. Everyone was rolling around in TW2 with no end to be safe in the fights :) And it looked ridiculous (And made things incredibly easy). You can still try to "dodge" with a button tap, but it is good that rolling (which is an intensive move in real life) is not just instantly done. I would be really sad if they made it possible to map a key for rolling on keyboard, without holding it. Like I said, that makes things too easy, and not so immersive.

They wanted the "hold" to roll thing. Everyone was rolling around in TW2 with no end to be safe in the fights :) And it looked ridiculous (And made things incredibly easy). You can still try to "dodge" with a button tap, but it is good that rolling (which is an intensive move in real life) is not just instantly done. I would be really sad if they made it possible to map a key for rolling on keyboard, without holding it. Like I said, that makes things too easy, and not so immersive.

If that's the case, they should at least give the players the option to set it the way they like. If people prefer to hold it, let them set it as such. And if people prefer to instant roll, let them map the buttons as such.

Because I don't really care for a "realistic" roll if I'm fighting fantastical griffins with powerful magic spells. I just want the combat to be responsive and fluid. :)

In Tomb Raider you tapped O to dodge, double tapped to roll. Arkham you could double tap to kind of jump/roll. Seems like a easy solution to me. I like the whole LT+button equals quick launch of a power too.

Mapping the signs to buttons would be a great implementation, and would make the combat even more fluid.

Like:
R2+Triangle = Air spell
R2+Square = Igni spell
R2 (double tap) = 5th spell (or make some other button combination).

I would love if this option is made available for the PS4 (manual button mapping for skills), and it will make my 100 hours that I plan to spend in the game more enjoyable :)

Its nuts that this just popped up, I was thinking the exact same thing. Reading the press impressions the one thing that really stands out is just how divisive opinions are on the "feel" of combat. The recurring villain in all the negative comments seems to be the combat/spell wheel; and it its just like it was in the Witcher 2 I can totally understand where that is coming from.

I think that letting us cast Signs directly by Holding R2+pressing a face button would really be a huge improvement toward making combat feel a lot more smooth and responsive. Make it a "B type" control setting if you have to.

From what reporters have said LB (L1 playstation) is for the skill wheel, RB (R1 ps) is for the quick slot item use, and RT (R2 ps) is the cast sign button.

From the videos I see 10 slots on the wheel.

It would be much better to use LB + 4 face buttons and 2 triggers for 6 buttons, and RB + 4 face buttons and 2 triggers for another 6. 12 extra buttons total using LB and RB.

I think every game designer using a controller should look at TERA on how to implement so many button combinations. It also gives so many ui customization options. You can choose to hide the onscreen controller map if you want.

Please no more clunky skill wheels!

This is the current control scheme:
Left Stick - Movement, Steer Horse, Steer Boat, [Press] Call Horse
R2 - Cast Sign
R1 - Quick Access item
L2 - Witcher Senses, Parry/Riposte
Triangle - Strong Attack
Right Stick - Camera Movement, [Press] Change Quest Objective, [Press] Lock On Target
D-Pad - [Up] Potion 1, [Down] Potion 2,
Draw/Sheathe Steel Sword ,
Draw/Sheathe Silver Sword
Circle - Surface / Climb / Dodge / Jump, [Hold] Roll / Dismount
Square - Fast Attack, Dive, Stop/Reverse Boat
L1 - Quick Access Menu
Touchpad - Game Menu
Options - Pause Menu
X - Interact, Swim Fast, Run/Sprint, Canter/Gallop, Accelerate Boat​

This is the current control scheme:

Ick. There are some things I would change, like moving the swords and potions to the radial menu (especially since you draw your sword in combat automatically), and move the signs to the D-pad with multi-touch. You could leave the signs in the radial, but it would be nice if you could actually launch them rather than just select them (ala Mass Effect).

They should also allow for double-taps, especially on the d-pad and the facebuttons, eg: double-tap ) = roll (I am so glad combat isn't a roll fest anymore though), also I'd probably prefer a double-tap X for climb rather than using O, which has a lot mapped to it.

I'd also map L2/R2 to accelerate/stop/reverse the boat.

Anyway -- remapping the controls and adding a double-tap option would be much appreciated.

Its nuts that this just popped up, I was thinking the exact same thing. Reading the press impressions the one thing that really stands out is just how divisive opinions are on the "feel" of combat. The recurring villain in all the negative comments seems to be the combat/spell wheel; and it its just like it was in the Witcher 2 I can totally understand where that is coming from.

I think that letting us cast Signs directly by Holding R2+pressing a face button would really be a huge improvement toward making combat feel a lot more smooth and responsive. Make it a "B type" control setting if you have to.

please, anyone of the Red´s, PLEASE atleast consider this

I'm a computer gamer (but I had a ps1 :p) (Ok, seriously, I sometimes play with the controller) and I want to say... aren't those buttons messy? I mean, why not something like (using ps4 scheme)

R2+Down Arrow (Dpad):eek:bject 1 / R2+ right arrow:eek:bject 2 / R2+Right arrow object 3; R2 + Up arrow object 4; Only R2: object 5
R2+X:Aard;R2+O:Igni;R2+Square:Quen;R2+Triangle:Yrden; Then L2+R2: Axii
L2 skill wheel, L1 quick cast, R1 quickslot
Then square fast attack, circle strong attack, X dodge and roll, triangle parry
Normal Dpad buttons when not using L2:the same thing as before, silver and steel sword, potion 1 and 2

Out of combat,foot: X can jump,run if we press, and climb, accelerate boat. We can press the left stick to run while fighting (ok this one isn't a good idea but what we can do) L2 can call roach, circle can mount roach, triangle witcher sense, square will draw the sword
On roach: X the horse speeds,square the attack (and draw), triangle can do some random thing (maybe cast axii on roach to calm him down), circle dismount
Water:circle dive, while under water square can go to the surface (after all we don't fight on water), X swim fast, triangle witcher sense
Boat: X accelerate, square slow down, circle enter/leave boat

Last edited:
I agree that the scheme is a bit messy and relies to much on the R1 wheel. I like the idea of keeping the wheel (but only if you hold it, not just press it which was done in Mass Effect). The wheel allows you to select things that you don't need to do quickly in combat.

Of course the point would be to allow us to remap the keys including a modifier (like R2) as well as a double-tap like double-O = roll, double D-PadL=second igni power etc.

If they can do that I don't see how anyone can complain about the controller setup since they can do it how they wish.

They would certainly set themselves apart since most console game designers are usually complete dictators when it comes to controller layout - some of them truly bizaar, as if trying you manipulate the controller is one of the most challenging skills in the game.

BTW I played W2 on PC with the keyboard and hated it. Once I switched to controller, everything went much more smoothly, but to each his/her own.

Top Bottom