Controversial Opinion: You shouldn't pick things up

+

Should you pick things up in Cyberpunk 2077?

• Total voters
So everybody says "Oh, you need to pick up every single thing you find in Cyberpunk 2077!".
But I say no! And here's why:

So personally, I have played through the intro a number of times. I have beaten the main storyline. I have completed every gig, NCPD hustle and side mission that is doable before finishing the introduction. I haven't done a single side mission, gig, etc after the big heist, however. I ALWAYS play on the hardest difficulty.
I was able to beat the entire main storyline on the hardest difficulty with relative ease without ever buying a piece of cyberware and without ever crafting or upgrading a thing. I played this way because I didn't do a single side mission (not even before the introduction) on this playthrough and so I was broke. And because I didn't know how the crafting system worked.
I did struggle massively on the last 3 boss fights (I had to resort to exploiting game mechanics to beat the semi-final boss, and I had to reduce the difficulty for the final boss).

So... If it is so easy to beat the game. You don't need to grind eddies or materials. There is absolutely no reason to do this. It takes so many hours to pick up every single thing (even longer with all the glitches making it super difficult if not impossible to pick up a lot of things). Also, it takes away so much from the immersion of the game if you go around picking up trash. What is V? A bin man? Or if you go round to your friend's houses (or clubs, for example, Lizzies) and steal all their money and their weapons. This is totally unrealistic. The Mox would be all over you for that. Judy's romance option would certainly be off the table if the game was real.

MAYBE you just want to feel crazy overpowered like you're the king of the world. And what I say to that is: DO YOUR DAMN JOB, YOU LAZY TRASH COLLECTOR. You're literally a mercenary and there are plenty of well-paying jobs out there for you to make way too much money and buy everything you could ever need without picking up or looting a damn thing. This is how the game should be played. Like, from my experience, I've never bought a gun or melee weapon before, and I've never even SEEN a clothes vendor before. This is because I looted way too many items which made it impossible for me to ever be weaker than the people I am shooting (at least in the main story). Those gun shops and clothing vendors are there to add immersion to the game. But if you are just MMORPG style looting all the guns and armour you'll ever need, there is no immersion. There is no self-satisfaction in picking up trash and becoming overpowered. There is self-satisfaction in EARNING heaps of eddies with your skill and talent and using them to buy all the best gear on the market. Or maybe to buy tons of crafting materials if that's your thing.

Lemme know if you agree with this or not in the poll!

Lemme know if you agree with this or not in the poll!
I can agree/disagree...
So maybe not loot everything, but for me at least, I'll never let an iconic weapon on the ground (nor an epic one). And clothes shops are only here for me, to find the clothes that I want in the version that I want (epic) and not really to be "more powerful".
So in opinion, "you don't need to loot everything, but it could be useful if you want".

In short, everybody's free to play in the way that he want :)

Edit :
In the same way that you can say :
- You shouldn't use QHs.
- You shouldn't use melee weapons.
- You shouldn't use guns/rifles.
- You shouldn't use Cyberwares.
Because yes, in each case, you can beat the game without use them at all. But I think, the most important why players use "something", it's mainly because it's fun.

Last edited:

"CONTROVERSIAL OPINION: YOU SHOULDN'T PICK THINGS UP"

"Should you pick things up in Cyberpunk 2077?"

In the beginning I picked everything up just to sell it, but nowadays just let everything be, and pick only those items up that I like. That said, I never pick up food that's on the ground, being wrapped up or not, simply because don't find it very fresh.

I reserve the right to pry the weapons from the cold, dead hands of my enemies.

But to be honest I craft almost all of my equipment except clothing, which I also pry from the cold, dead bodies of my enemies.

I pick everything up. It takes a few minutes tops to go to each body and spam the interact button. Personally I don't think gigs or side missions pay enough. I find most my earnings come from selling the weapons I pick up from the dead, or hacking access points. I never put anything in tech, so I'm not crafting anything. The best weapons and gear, I have to buy. And when a t-shirt cost 40000 bucks, or a mini boss only ever drops weapon crafting specs and not the actual weapon, you better believe this mercenary won't be ashamed of having a side hussle selling junk.

Last edited:
Lovely roleplay :)

I also decided not to pick everything. My main motivation was the boosters. Someone else may need them :)

Also, the crafting feels more rewarding if you work for the items :)
Lol, on the hardest difficulty I got to the final boss with like 200 boosters left I think (it was earlier in the year so I don't remember exactly).
just from picking them up off of the floor. Although it was lucky I had them because I ended up using every single booster I had during that fight.

lelxrv

Forum veteran
Remove option to sell stuff (maybe with exception of something rare and valuable). This way you won't need to loot everything.

I'm playing the original Deus Ex right now and I'm honestly shocked how much it streamlines gameplay without dumbing it down. Combined with limited inventory space, you pick up only stuff you need.

I wonder how it would've affected game design - no levels and no ability to sell loot.

I'm inclined to agree with the OP on this, I'm usually a horrendous klepto hoarder in any game I play, especially when there's crafting involved, because you never know when "one of those" is going to be essential for an obscure item later on.

I started playing CP with that mindset and collected everything, then once I realised the items weren't important I took the scrapping perk..... Down the line I've actually reset my perks and ditched picking things up completely (including weapons). I really haven't found the crafting system that satisfying and aside from upgrading my weapons loadout occasionally I've actually survived just fine picking up "better" items as I go through the game and hacking access points/ looting crimes in progress for the extra Eddies I need.

Same with the food buffs, found it all a bit unnecessary.

Shame really because someone spent a lot of time on all those items and they are largely superfluous to progression in the game.

Boosters, ammo, Eddies..... Unfortunately that's all you need.

Without completely overhauling the whole loot & crafting system, which seems unlikely TBH, I can't see my playstyle going back in this game.

I don't think it's controversial. Not on this forum, at least. Pretty much everyone is either annoyed by it or accepts it as bad design that's not game-breaking.
I don't know, I see much enthusiasm about it on the internet, in particular by the "silent majority" who buys games entirely based on that mechanic.

Remove option to sell stuff (maybe with exception of something rare and valuable). This way you won't need to loot everything.

I'm playing the original Deus Ex right now and I'm honestly shocked how much it streamlines gameplay without dumbing it down. Combined with limited inventory space, you pick up only stuff you need.

I wonder how it would've affected game design - no levels and no ability to sell loot.
I wonder if changing something of this kind which is not mandatory in the game could be a good idea... A game where there are already a lot of complains about "useless junk items" who are unpickable.
If you don't want pickup all the loot (or not at all), you can without any problem. It remains at player appreciation, everyone is free to do it or not :)

I don't know, I see much enthusiasm about it on the internet, in particular by the "silent majority" who buys games entirely based on that mechanic.
It sells for sure. Look at Bethesda's Fallout. And look at how immersive sims bomb. So it's controversial.

If they remove the option to sell items and junk, then they'll have to rework the entire economy. Gigs and side mission don't pay well, and this is coming from someone who clears the map every time before hopping into the main story. Epic gear can range up to 40000 to 80000 eddies, and legendary gear even more. My legendary shotgun was 200000 eddies. So until they do something about the rediculous prices, and maybe start having mini boses drop legendary weapons instead of the specs I can't use. Then selling junk to get good gear is a necessity.

Controversial opinion: looter design is old and lazy and should be forgotten for good by anyone who wants to make an immersive game.

It needs to get a substitute system/mechanic to fill in the hole it leaves if it gets completely removed, though.

It’s a similiar kind of situation where Planescape: Torment’s trash combat gets criticised (and rightly so), but you know, that if you just cut it out, the game will be worse for it. (Related case in in point: Torment: Tides of Numenera.)

Lovely roleplay :)

I also decided not to pick everything. My main motivation was the boosters. Someone else may need them :)

Also, the crafting feels more rewarding if you work for the items :)
Hahaha it started with the boosters for me too, but more on the perspective, I don't know what's in these and I find a lot of bodies that OD'ed on these things.
But now I also don't pick most of the stuff, thwre is a logic that developed for me for what to pick up and why on different moments of V's journey

You should pick everything up. You end up with over 50 items that are rare, and collectable treasures you found out in CP77. The bulk of the stuff gets sold. On the one hand you have the loot game, searching to find loot. And on the other hand you have the merchant game; supplying vendors by selling your loot. There is no reason to collect bounties in the city; if yer not going to grab the loot to sell it. No reason to look around for hidden stuff; if you plan on never picking anything up. Your profit margins drop drastically if you don't pick anything up. There's no reason to chip in so you can fight 14 levels above Vincent or Valerie's level. You thought you knew, but you didn't even know V's name! How could that be? Look man. Play the game for what it is. Whatever way you find that is the most fun for you to play.
Don't forget your imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they are aware a bit about too much loot. For me its very immersion breaking as you have this natural habbit to pick things up if they are close. And unfortunately I do it partly because to get rid of even more annoying rainbow like icons or highlighted stuff which is just distracting. Dont really know why they put in one place 10 batches of eurodollars instead of one, just bigger one.

So I think people will loot everything as long as its in their face and costs nothing (weight or npc reactions).

Top Bottom