Controversial Opinion: You shouldn't pick things up

+

Should you pick things up in Cyberpunk 2077?

• Total voters
Generaly i max out my hacking at this point and in mega10 after too. hack every machine/screen/light/radio. I generaly specc into tech since if you want a effective char you pretty much have too (Unless you go pure hacker or something or play on easy) So by the time im "home" i have some points too spend in crafting and dont scrap "common" stuff untill then(for maximum materials). Tbh i kinda miss the bugged sodacans and that way of leveling stuff since i dident have too pick up everything and grind my crafting.
Not true. I have three playthroughs 100%, ~97% and 99,9% on normal and only one of those V's had Tech / Crafting focus. I don't think Hard should present some sort of wall for my V's either. For me from videos I have checked, it looks like it's about risks get higher when taking on higher level NPC's (above V's level).

But for example, if you want to play as "long range stealth sniper" (overwatch, despite its silencer is not stealthy), you have to use Ajax or Copperhead assault rifles (quite low damages). With these weapons, you must invest a little (a lot) in crafting because for one shot enemeny with these weapons, you need the best version possible, very good mods on weapons/clothes...
Something I wondered, my Corpo V happened to be a pretty good shot with pistols and rifles.

I didn't specifically tested but:
If I missed a headshot and bullet hit the wall, enemies were alerted.
If I missed a headshot and bullet went up to sky (NPC guard at roof) enemies weren't alerted.

For pistol I think, I thought there might be a pattern there, bullet hitting soft vs. hard target, hitting latter is noisy.

Overwatch, I don't know what to think for sure but, what if bullet goes through target and hits the wall?

I get what you say about how important Crafting skill is in context of this topic.. I don't know, test weapons, continue in some of the weapons topic about how much detail there is regarding noise in game?
I love how CP2077 keeps that to a minimum, allowing the player to just upgrade their existing gear instead. Being able to do that without needing to "farm" resources would also be nice. More like, I take my weapon to the "upgrade guy". It costs $1,000 to upgrade it. If I happen to have shiny, metal bits in my inventory, though, he can use those and offer me a discount. Now the upgrade is only $800. That sort of thing.

Would like to have that sort of option. Could go for something even more abstract. Check box for auto upgrading selected weapon, it would keep up with player level without any sort of menu hassle.

On that track, just recently got into Ghost Recon: Wildlands for the first time -- holy cool! It's basically the same type of gameplay with no need to loot anything. You fight whole battles without ever picking anything up off the ground. You can progress all the way to the end game with just the starting equipment. It's not about "loot" -- but there are plenty of cosmetics to unlock, weapons parts to find, and new gear to use if you want to. It's about play style, not necessity. That's much more "role-playing" to me than the stats and special powers that Division 2 offers (cool as that may be). Much more of a flow to Wildlands gameplay as well. It's sort of the perfect example of what's being discussed here:
Thanks for the tip. Don't see myself getting to that ATM, last 3 games I have bought from Ubisoft were all disappointments, but good to know and interesting in context of topic.

Regarding CP 2077 my thoughts keep circling back to how much easier it would be for players to choose their playstyle if they knew more about economy. I was thinking if in-game net, the NET, could have a page that could have a website for some weapon wholesaler and information there would be written in-universe style like "Retailers, don't pass this up! Absolutely the top tier quality! 20 pieces of Copperhead assault rifle for xxxxx eurodollars for piece, X% discount for orders 10+ pieces." and given price per piece on wholesaler site would reflect price of level 50 Copperhead at retailer -30% but I don't see that working really. In fact I think it's way too convoluted.

What else? Screen ads in stores with prices, some outside store. Price for other goods in city, coffee, whatever player can see in restaurants and like, those prices keeps constant, weapon and clothing, those prices would keep changing in those ads and that would break suspension of disbelief, so I don't see that working either.

Basic problem is, player can't know when player has enough for end game build, but people like planning a head and without taking a chance, way to plan ahead is to pick stuff up. I hate this problem because it's so stupid in related to benefits: Appeal to audience that comes from from very opposite ends regarding how they value and experience loot in games.

Watching quite a few twitch streams, I have to say that almost everyone is distracted and is missing those great little details for worthless loot. Even Pawel Sasko on his streams is compulsively picking up everything in a middle of a fight or story.
Someone could present him a challenge. Not that if that makes his gaming experience better or worse, but if he could try going longer stint without picking up all stuff with little practical value and if he could get, why choosing playstyle and character that is indifferent to lot's of loot can actually contribute towards better experience with CP 2077 for some of us and that's not for everybody about amount of loot that is in game, but there's no way of knowing how much level 50 gear costs at lower level. Doesn't help that component price / upgrade cost, has kept changing with patches.

But anyway, some players are just lazy and there are many kinds of lazy, sometimes lazy players might have method to their madness. Game has qualities that could appeal to that crowd, but there might be a bottleneck.

Last edited:
I don't need to grind eddies or materials. But I'm gonn' do it anyways!

I don't pick up "everything", but I am pretty thorough. Not super thorough though cause most stuff I find is trash and not worth the time so there will be some things here and there I didn't bother to pick up or claim. Most of the time the treasure I don't claim is stuff like random food or other random stuff I don't need or have much use for.

I love being overpowered. I wanna be a god in game. Whether I'm a powerful altmer wizard, mastery over all schools of magic of skyrim or a brawling, hacking, shotgun shooting nomad of cyberpunk, I kick ass. I don't care about video game challenges. I practice martial arts, I draw, I enjoy photography, and a lot more hobbies to a lesser degree. If I want a challenge, I'll seek an IRL challenge. For me, video games is a time to shut my brain off and decorate animal crossing or sims houses or slaughter slaughter slaughter murder murder murder in skyrim, cyberpunk, or the mass effect anniversary. Cheers to all the gamers looking for a challenge tho.

I'm a fabulous trash collector! Get your stuff right fam. Proud and majestic af! As I say earlier, I take great entertainment from being OP. Hence why I voted yes.

I buy from weapon and clothes vendors. Absolutely. This is one area where I don't mind being underpowered. I'll take looks over practicality any day. My nomad is a majestic golden god. All gold clothes. Shiiine fam. I sparkle and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Nor do I think it makes my character any less manly. Guys can like sparkly things t-t-too!

I love having heaps of eddies because I burn through heaps of eddies real fast buying cyberwear, clothes, cars, and stuff. Never weapons. I make those. Schematics are green lit to be purchased tho! Even if I never make the recipe I'm buying. I just like having all these schematics. Like a super genius that can make anything.

Last edited:
Something I wondered, my Corpo V happened to be a pretty good shot with pistols and rifles.

I didn't specifically tested but:
If I missed a headshot and bullet hit the wall, enemies were alerted.
If I missed a headshot and bullet went up to sky (NPC guard at roof) enemies weren't alerted.

For pistol I think, I thought there might be a pattern there, bullet hitting soft vs. hard target, hitting latter is noisy.

Overwatch, I don't know what to think for sure but, what if bullet goes through target and hits the wall?

I get what you say about how important Crafting skill is in context of this topic.. I don't know, test weapons, continue in some of the weapons topic about how much detail there is regarding noise in game?
Nope, it's not about noise or whatever :)
It's about the fact that if you don't kill an enemy in a single shot, you enter in combat directly.
So to avoid that, you need the best weapons possible, the best mods possible,... It's here that the crafting (and by consequence, the loots) is very useful.

But like always, mainly at the beginning of the game. At the end, you have plenty of eddies, plenty of components,... you don't really need to pick up anything.

Edit : In short, the way I play, I have to loot at maximum, at least at the beginning to the mid game. Which is not the case in other way of playing :)

Last edited:
Would like to have that sort of option. Could go for something even more abstract. Check box for auto upgrading selected weapon, it would keep up with player level without any sort of menu hassle.
Exactly the type of thing I mean. There was a mod for Oblivion and later Skyrim that just let you cast a spell that leveled up all of your magical, unique gear to match your current level. It allowed you to continue roleplaying the character you envisioned...instead of being forced to become a stealth archer, because your two-handed axe was under-leveled, and the only weapon you had picked that could actually damage the enemies you were fighting at that moment was a daedric bow.

Plus, it doesn't really make sense for an RPG going for any sort of realism (even fantasy / sci-fi RPGs) to have weapons become ineffectual. Rather than having characters get bigger, more magical weapons...it makes far more sense for characters to learn how to use their chosen weapon better. Don't make me pick up or buy a new weapon to progress -- let me learn how to do new things with the weapon I've chosen.

Basic problem is, player can't know when player has enough for end game build, but people like planning a head and without taking a chance, way to plan ahead is to pick stuff up. I hate this problem because it's so stupid in related to benefits: Appeal to audience that comes from from very opposite ends regarding how they value and experience loot in games.
And here's where, just like in many PnP RPGs, players get powerful weapons at key points -- often catered directly to the type of character they're playing with. The GM decides:
+ The sword-wielding warrior finds the legendary blade of Shmaurgenrog, a bastard sword +3 while in a tomb.
+ When they return to town, the head of the wizarding chapter of Honeywood decides to teach the mage character the spell of Summon Elemental, and gifts them with a powerful pendant of protection +2, which also grants immunity to silence.
+ The thief finds a mystical arrow in a shop using their detection skill that always causes a critical hit, then returns to the quiver 1d4 turns later. Even better, the shopkeep has no idea what they have, so they sell it for a few copper!

Etc.

This can (and is) easily translatable into something like CP2077. Finish a mission for certain faction, and you'll be offered something that augments your playstyle. Rather than picking up a completely new weapons or ammo, V could simply choose to start the game with or quickly acquire:
Revolver
Auto-pistol
Submachine gun
Assault rifle
Rifle
Baton
Knife
Sword

Just one of each type. That's it. No loot. Each weapon would be unique in how it functions, what its strengths and weaknesses are, etc.

For role-playing purposes, you can then customize each weapon to perform a certain way.
+ The revolver is powerful and slow-firing, but it's easy to load whatever type of ammo you want into it, even one round at a time. It can also be augmented with a scope, long barrel for more accuracy and range, snub-nosed barrel for better concealment and quicker drawing, a speed loader for decreased load times (but still slower than an auto pistol)...

^ With something like this, it allows for more role-playing. I can use that starting pistol from the beginning to the end of the game, simply augmenting it as I go to serve whatever purpose I need. That scope and barrel won't ever replace a true sniper rifle, but it does give me a bit of extra range if that's all I care about. The stopping power won't ever replace a shotgun, but I can't keep a shotgun concealed. Etc.

That, to me, is how weapons should be integrated into role-playing. Much more so than picking up a fancy yellow gun with a laser sight that adds poison damage to bullets...then swapping it 45 minutes later because I found a neon pink submachine gun that's less accurate, but the bullets ricochet off walls...then deconstructing both of those because I found a tech-shotgun in a random box on the pier that does electric damage. That type of gameplay is fine for something like Borderlands or Destiny, but not for a game that's really trying to draw you into its world, like Cyberpunk.

As that was all slightly tangential, let me drive it squarely back into the lane here.

A loot-based system will almost invariably end up creating a sort of identity crisis for the player character. Do they stick with their design? Or do they constantly swap to gear and weapons that are not part of their character design or vision simply to maximize their combat potential?

A non-loot system, in which players receive only key items and key points still allows for a lot of customizability -- tremendous amounts, actually -- but doesn't ever draw them away from their sense of being a specific character, with a specific identity, and a specific role they play in the world. I'd much rather stop off at a shop that I know has what I'm looking for and spend my hard-earned cash on a new sight, or trigger, or pack of special ammo, then spend a few minutes in a modification screen to attach it all...rather than go out into the world to aimlessly grind combat with gangs of street thugs until I get that "rare drop" I'm looking for. That style of gameplay (while still fun!) just doesn't go with the gritty, intimate experience that the narrative was very strongly trying to create. The looting, necessary or not, is a distraction from what I'd say is the game's strongest element.

It's about the fact that if you don't kill an enemy in a single shot, you enter in combat directly.
So to avoid that, you need the best weapons possible, the best mods possible,... It's here that the crafting (and by consequence, the loots) is very useful.

But like always, mainly at the beginning of the game. At the end, you have plenty of eddies, plenty of components,... you don't really need to pick up anything.

Edit : In short, the way I play, I have to loot at maximum, at least at the beginning to the mid game. Which is not the case in other way of playing
See, though it was tricky, and I didn't always get away with it, I'd still be able to disappear after mucking up my first shot. I'd simply break contact, displace, then stay still and the enemies would eventually give up looking for me and go back on patrol. If anything, they did that too readily. Better than some games, but still a little forgiving considering I just shot one of them.

Many times, I would be able to "ghost" missions. Turning off only key cameras and never even being seen. In and out -- but little to no "loot". Just getting the mission done. To me, that's the whole point of taking the stealthy approach.

Conversely, if I go in guns blazing, the whole point of the approach is to kill lots of fools really, really quickly...not spend an additional 4 minutes picking up loot and sifting inventory.

If I'm sniping...I shouldn't even be in the actual area. I get a line of sight, wait for my opportunity, then fire once. Target's dead. I leave. Not continue gunning down the whole base before running straight in and looting everything.

And if I'm taking a diplomatic approach, I'm going to walk up to the front gate and get myself invited inside. Going through lockers in the guardroom or shooting all the guards to go through their pockets should not really be an option.

What would still allow for customization and crafting is finishing the mission, getting a healthy paycheck, then taking some of it to buy crafting materials from vendors and kitting out my gear. Or, going out into the Badlands on a specific scavenging run to specific areas saturated with loot that would make sense (garbage dumps, abandoned factories, old warehouses or bunkers, derelict military installations, etc.) It's still possible to create all the crafting without enemies exploding into Skittles when they die.

To the OP.
Thanks for asking.

I do think the game should be more challenging, and reward MORE players' reflexes, situational awareness, and the ability to think clearly amidst ongoing mayhem. Quake games and Rainbow Six do that in awesome ways.

I also think it is much more fun with all the stuff it gives. Don't think so? Maybe the game isn't the click with you.

I love the loot. Especially all the funny descriptions on the items.
I love the idea of becoming a cyborg. So a cyberware game is def for me.

So everybody says "Oh, you need to pick up every single thing you find in Cyberpunk 2077!".
But I say no! And here's why:

So personally, I have played through the intro a number of times. I have beaten the main storyline. I have completed every gig, NCPD hustle and side mission that is doable before finishing the introduction. I haven't done a single side mission, gig, etc after the big heist, however. I ALWAYS play on the hardest difficulty.
I was able to beat the entire main storyline on the hardest difficulty with relative ease without ever buying a piece of cyberware and without ever crafting or upgrading a thing. I played this way because I didn't do a single side mission (not even before the introduction) on this playthrough and so I was broke. And because I didn't know how the crafting system worked.
I did struggle massively on the last 3 boss fights (I had to resort to exploiting game mechanics to beat the semi-final boss, and I had to reduce the difficulty for the final boss).

So... If it is so easy to beat the game. You don't need to grind eddies or materials. There is absolutely no reason to do this. It takes so many hours to pick up every single thing (even longer with all the glitches making it super difficult if not impossible to pick up a lot of things). Also, it takes away so much from the immersion of the game if you go around picking up trash. What is V? A bin man? Or if you go round to your friend's houses (or clubs, for example, Lizzies) and steal all their money and their weapons. This is totally unrealistic. The Mox would be all over you for that. Judy's romance option would certainly be off the table if the game was real.

MAYBE you just want to feel crazy overpowered like you're the king of the world. And what I say to that is: DO YOUR DAMN JOB, YOU LAZY TRASH COLLECTOR. You're literally a mercenary and there are plenty of well-paying jobs out there for you to make way too much money and buy everything you could ever need without picking up or looting a damn thing. This is how the game should be played. Like, from my experience, I've never bought a gun or melee weapon before, and I've never even SEEN a clothes vendor before. This is because I looted way too many items which made it impossible for me to ever be weaker than the people I am shooting (at least in the main story). Those gun shops and clothing vendors are there to add immersion to the game. But if you are just MMORPG style looting all the guns and armour you'll ever need, there is no immersion. There is no self-satisfaction in picking up trash and becoming overpowered. There is self-satisfaction in EARNING heaps of eddies with your skill and talent and using them to buy all the best gear on the market. Or maybe to buy tons of crafting materials if that's your thing.

Lemme know if you agree with this or not in the poll!

Limit in what sense? From picking things up or planning their build, restricting themselves to certain builds?
Limit in the sense of being necessary. CP behaves this way with it's character builds, progression, gearing and looting. The limits are largely self-imposed. In the context of the loot and gearing systems the exercises are often pointless. Thus, there is never a "need" to pick it up. The end result is the system ends up viewed as bloated filler.

The only way around it is to minmize interaction with those systems. Don't pick it up. Even if you play the game this way the bloat leaves a mark. You activate your scanner to find the shard. In the process you get a better understanding of the astronomer trying to spot an exo-planet orbiting a star. Hey buddy, spot the little bright thing orbiting the big, much brighter thing.
The approach of skulking around 1 shotting everything while remaining undetected is an example of self-imposed restrictions. The player doesn't auto-flatline when entering combat with such a character. Not unless they step on the curb in the wrong way. Stealth offers plenty of advantages even if you cannot remain completely undetected.

There is nothing explicitly requiring a "stealth build" to stick to a single, narrow approach either. Depending on the circumstances you could sneak about, break necks and take out the trash. Incapacitate targets. Snipe from afar to thin the herd. Utilize hacking to setup distraction chains, move NPC's, etc.

The argument the looting system must exist as is for those builds to work is on shaky ground. Looting thousands of items is one way to get there. There are many other ways to make those approaches viable without relying on looting thousands of items. If crafting materials were cheaper and/or available in higher quantities the need to pick them up or dismantle random pieces of junk disappears. The requirement for these upgrades traces it's roots to the crafting, gearing, progression and encounter systems. Not the loot system.
That, to me, is how weapons should be integrated into role-playing. Much more so than picking up a fancy yellow gun with a laser sight that adds poison damage to bullets...then swapping it 45 minutes later because I found a neon pink submachine gun that's less accurate, but the bullets ricochet off walls...then deconstructing both of those because I found a tech-shotgun in a random box on the pier that does electric damage. That type of gameplay is fine for something like Borderlands or Destiny, but not for a game that's really trying to draw you into its world, like Cyberpunk.
I'd prefer such a system for this sort of game too. Keep the focus on the world, characters, story and experience of the content. Streamline the rest so the focus remains firmly on those areas during play. I want to experience the story, learn more about the characters, factions, lore and decide how my character responds to whatever is in front of them. Using a leaf blower to paint the world in loot distracts from all of these areas.

The obvious counter agument is it doesn't quite line up with mass appeal. Mass appeal tends to involve plucking as many winning formulas as possible and shoving them together. This is how you get combat resembling Halo, stealth behaving eerily similar to Assassin's Creed, 300 perks, stats and skills, a story, characters, "open world", and at least several thousand white and green inhaler charges laying around (not an exaggeration...). So the approach used is understood. It's simply disagreeable.

See, though it was tricky, and I didn't always get away with it, I'd still be able to disappear after mucking up my first shot. I'd simply break contact, displace, then stay still and the enemies would eventually give up looking for me and go back on patrol. If anything, they did that too readily. Better than some games, but still a little forgiving considering I just shot one of them.

Many times, I would be able to "ghost" missions. Turning off only key cameras and never even being seen. In and out -- but little to no "loot". Just getting the mission done. To me, that's the whole point of taking the stealthy approach.

Conversely, if I go in guns blazing, the whole point of the approach is to kill lots of fools really, really quickly...not spend an additional 4 minutes picking up loot and sifting inventory.

If I'm sniping...I shouldn't even be in the actual area. I get a line of sight, wait for my opportunity, then fire once. Target's dead. I leave. Not continue gunning down the whole base before running straight in and looting everything.

And if I'm taking a diplomatic approach, I'm going to walk up to the front gate and get myself invited inside. Going through lockers in the guardroom or shooting all the guards to go through their pockets should not really be an option.

What would still allow for customization and crafting is finishing the mission, getting a healthy paycheck, then taking some of it to buy crafting materials from vendors and kitting out my gear. Or, going out into the Badlands on a specific scavenging run to specific areas saturated with loot that would make sense (garbage dumps, abandoned factories, old warehouses or bunkers, derelict military installations, etc.) It's still possible to create all the crafting without enemies exploding into Skittles when they die.
From what I can see, the real problem is the "Christmas garland" effect: the HUD is completely saturated with loot icons (which are usually useless, unless you really need them).
Would it be annoying if it was simply possible to deactivate icons that players deem "unnecessary"?
Like for example to keep only the icons of iconic or legendary objects (which is rather rare). Because seeing weapons on the ground after a fight is not disturbing and quite normal (I think). What is, is to have about fifty white/green/blue icons at the same time on the screen...

The system of unlocking weapons (for example) as quest reward (or story's step) is quite annoying in my opinion, because you can't use this weapons until completing these quests.
The approach of skulking around 1 shotting everything while remaining undetected is an example of self-imposed restrictions. The player doesn't auto-flatline when entering combat with such a character. Not unless they step on the curb in the wrong way. Stealth offers plenty of advantages even if you cannot remain completely undetected.
Yes, it's self-imposed, but for me, it's fun :)
The game allow me to do it and I like that. There is nothing who push me in that sens and it's very nice to find a way that I enjoy... instead of a game's mechanic who push me in a way that I don't like. I'm "free".
And it's for that I said "the way how I play", a way which is different for each players... So for me, looting/dismantling/crafting is the best way to reach my goal, i.e using guns/weapons with silencers instead of other stealth approach.

And like I said, I don't mind spending 5-10 minutes after each quest for inventory management and I enjoy that... (but not everyone's liking).
Plus, it doesn't really make sense for an RPG going for any sort of realism (even fantasy / sci-fi RPGs) to have weapons become ineffectual. Rather than having characters get bigger, more magical weapons...it makes far more sense for characters to learn how to use their chosen weapon better. Don't make me pick up or buy a new weapon to progress -- let me learn how to do new things with the weapon I've chosen.
To come back to weapons who became useless quickly, it's also a way to play.
In my current playthrough, I used a legendary Overture that I have pick up at level 12-13 and used until the level 45 (I simply ugraded it regularely). So I used the same weapon almost the whole game :)
Ok, it cost me a hell bunch of components (that I looted, but you can also buy them easily now).

Last edited:

Edit : In short, the way I play, I have to loot at maximum, at least at the beginning to the mid game. Which is not the case in other way of playing :)

Damn, I really needed to check this. There's Scav operation NE Watson harbor, shots either go out to sea or hit, or hit building. I don't have a save anywhere near.

For sniper rifle, there's one place at the Badlands where there are Raffen Shiv I think and one of them is on top of mobile home or building, I recall missing a sniper shot and thought that was it for stealth, but nothing happened and I dropped him on my second hit. I used two different sniper rifles on that run until end game. I don't recall if it was Overwatch or something else, or maybe I was too far away?

There's also cyberpsycho in powerline tower, again I don't remember which sniper I used. I couldn't drop him with the first shot but cyberpshycho just started running around and I was able to land more shots before he came down and found my location and started coming at me.

For role-playing purposes, you can then customize each weapon to perform a certain way.
+ The revolver is powerful and slow-firing, but it's easy to load whatever type of ammo you want into it, even one round at a time. It can also be augmented with a scope, long barrel for more accuracy and range, snub-nosed barrel for better concealment and quicker drawing, a speed loader for decreased load times (but still slower than an auto pistol)...

^ With something like this, it allows for more role-playing. I can use that starting pistol from the beginning to the end of the game, simply augmenting it as I go to serve whatever purpose I need. That scope and barrel won't ever replace a true sniper rifle, but it does give me a bit of extra range if that's all I care about. The stopping power won't ever replace a shotgun, but I can't keep a shotgun concealed. Etc.

A loot-based system will almost invariably end up creating a sort of identity crisis for the player character. Do they stick with their design? Or do they constantly swap to gear and weapons that are not part of their character design or vision simply to maximize their combat potential?
This is gold, connects to loot, different kind of play styles and what kind of things different people with different evaluation for what they feel rewarding to one of the other issues that comes with level scaling in CP 2077.

One of the most rewarding things during my first playthrough was ghosting Arasaka facility. Did only what was necessary, collected stuff was weapons guards left behind after taking them down. No reloads either.

It was really great to play and great part of that joy was that it was with high body, was a good hacker and somewhat stealthy. And it was using my character skills for silent takedowns, not weapons, well quikhacks, but still. Sure there wasn't much loot, few assault rifles, not that much skill experience either but for time spent, doing only what was necessary, it was awesome!

On my second run, with Crafting build. Explored more of facility, lot's to see in there, but I had always economical thing at back of my head somewhere. Eliminate, loot, hide the body, go to inventory, see what to keep and what to disassemble to avoid carrying more than my V could. Rinse and repeat. That constant break of flow, sure I got more stuff, versus time used ration for loot vs. minutes spend in facility was probably way better than during my first run, but it was nowhere as fun.

The argument the looting system must exist as is for those builds to work is on shaky ground. Looting thousands of items is one way to get there. There are many other ways to make those approaches viable without relying on looting thousands of items. If crafting materials were cheaper and/or available in higher quantities the need to pick them up or dismantle random pieces of junk disappears. The requirement for these upgrades traces it's roots to the crafting, gearing, progression and encounter systems. Not the loot system.
Very well said.

Very well said.
It was very true back in December (components were expensive as hell...). But now, components are "very cheap" in all the shops (about 10 times cheaper). So looting is simply one way to aquire them. Buying them is way more easier, quicker and a cheap way to aquire them for those who don't want/like looting (and again, it don't require any crafting skill for upgrade your favorite weapons to keep them "useful" during the whole game).
There is a way for everybody :)

In my case, yes I could buy my components, but if I can have them "for free", it's even better and not bother me (I'll keep my money for other things).

Last edited:
From what I can see, the real problem is the "Christmas garland" effect: the HUD is completely saturated with loot icons (which are usually useless, unless you really need them).
Would it be annoying if it was simply possible to deactivate icons that players deem "unnecessary"?
Like for example to keep only the icons of iconic or legendary objects (which is rather rare). Because seeing weapons on the ground after a fight is not disturbing and quite normal (I think). What is, is to have about fifty white/green/blue icons at the same time on the screen...

The system of unlocking weapons (for example) as quest reward (or story's step) is quite annoying in my opinion, because you can't use this weapons until completing these quests.
Well, kind of, but screen clutter is a totally different concern. (Truly, I felt that CP2077 handled this really well. Even in the in-world markers, which are something I always switch off immediately, didn't really bug me too much here. Maybe it's the color palette, or just the smaller size of the actual icons, but I didn't really find them intrusive or distracting.)

The issue, as I see it, is that you can pick everything up. And there's so much of it. And it's all mostly useless. The fact that it's there and draws so much attention, which directly means that it takes up so much of the player's time by design, is the issue. It also kind of creates layers of activity that do add variety to the things you can do, but to very little consequence.

And the big issue, as I see it, is that it slows down the pacing of the game, draws attention away from the action of the story and connection to the world, creates tedium or frustration if you're not finding the loot you want, and simply doesn't seem to fit into the core of the game.

Now, I've been making this argument since Oblivion released, and I've tended to focus it squarely at Bethesda titles up to this point, but I think it applies somewhat here, as well. Even if a game is really enjoyable, it's possible that it loses a sense of itself. Mechanics can run away from the overall vision. Take Fallout 4 as a comparison. I looooooved the gun crafting thing. That was great fun...but it was overdone. The loot, as a whole, was overdone. On one hand, I'm supposed to be searching the Wasteland for my child, and then I spend two solid weeks exploring the same few sites to grind XP and collect bits to add to my laser rifle. It competes against itself to define itself. I doesn't work. Is my character looting and crafting and building a new society out of the rubble of the old world...or is he a father hell-bent on finding his son against all odds? It can't be both, but that's exactly what happens in the actual gameplay. In the end, both fall flat because they're competing with each other. If I focus on all the looting and crafting and building, I feel like I'm fending off the plot with a stick while it constantly pokes me and prods me to stay focused. If I follow the plot, I feel like I'm missing all of the stuff in the game and rushing forward.

The same thing is true in Cyberpunk, though I don't think it's as big of a disparity, since the game just sort of opens doors for the player and lets them get to it in their own time. But, there's enough stuff in the game -- especially looting -- that when I finally got back to the main plot, I had to consciously remember where I left off and what was going on.

Kind of like the arguments I've made about Fallout 4 -- it would have been an awesome game if had not been a Fallout game. If it had been a game about looting sites, building up a community and trade network, and defending your settlements from attack -- that could have been a phenomenal game. But because it also tried to be a Fallout game with a narrative arc and dramatic build ups...it all fell flat. Nothing ever felt like it really connected.

Hence, I think that the action, pacing, impact, and sense of immersion would have been greatly magnified for Cyberpunk if the looting had been streamlined. Conversely, a more robust looting system would work great if the game was far more sandbox-y and less focused on a central storyline.

To come back to weapons who became useless quickly, it's also a way to play.
In my current playthrough, I used a legendary Overture that I have pick up at level 12-13 and used until the level 45 (I simply ugraded it regularely). So I used the same weapon almost the whole game :)
Ok, it cost me a hell bunch of components (that I looted, but you can also buy them easily now).
Absolutely! And I like this style of play. Just recently got pulled into Destiny 2 by a couple of friends. It's hella fun when the core game is about grinding areas for loot, finding powerups and rare drops, etc. But don't ask me too much about the characters or the storyline -- it's sort of pointless. Interesting premise for the universe, but it's clearly not the focus of the game. It's only a backdrop. The game is about shoot and loot.

However, I think there's enough there that a more narrative RPG could be developed around the universe. To do that successfully, though, we'd need to really tighten up the gameplay, ensure any new weapons or powerups are in sync with the progress of the story arc, and take care that the pacing of the game doesn't leave the player feeling either a.) rushed and overwhelmed or b.) like they're slogging or spinning circles. It would need to be a very different game, even if it was still going to use the shooter mechanics for combat.

This is gold, connects to loot, different kind of play styles and what kind of things different people with different evaluation for what they feel rewarding to one of the other issues that comes with level scaling in CP 2077.

One of the most rewarding things during my first playthrough was ghosting Arasaka facility. Did only what was necessary, collected stuff was weapons guards left behind after taking them down. No reloads either.

It was really great to play and great part of that joy was that it was with high body, was a good hacker and somewhat stealthy. And it was using my character skills for silent takedowns, not weapons, well quikhacks, but still. Sure there wasn't much loot, few assault rifles, not that much skill experience either but for time spent, doing only what was necessary, it was awesome!

On my second run, with Crafting build. Explored more of facility, lot's to see in there, but I had always economical thing at back of my head somewhere. Eliminate, loot, hide the body, go to inventory, see what to keep and what to disassemble to avoid carrying more than my V could. Rinse and repeat. That constant break of flow, sure I got more stuff, versus time used ration for loot vs. minutes spend in facility was probably way better than during my first run, but it was nowhere as fun.
And credit to the game for the versatility it does allow. I did a mostly stealth playthrough, using a pistol and baton, and I was able to get through the whole game like that. Finished all the Cyberpsycho missions, as well. The loot can be almost completely ignored without losing much of anything.

And that's kind of the point. If that's the case...I can't help but see it as a missed opportunity to develop additional gameplay avenues instead of creating piles and piles of constant loot. And not just for CP2077 -- for all RPGs. I think of all the things we could be doing...all the other cool systems that could be in place...if we aren't constantly picking up and managing loot.

Well, kind of, but screen clutter is a totally different concern. (Truly, I felt that CP2077 handled this really well. Even in the in-world markers, which are something I always switch off immediately, didn't really bug me too much here. Maybe it's the color palette, or just the smaller size of the actual icons, but I didn't really find them intrusive or distracting.)

The issue, as I see it, is that you can pick everything up. And there's so much of it. And it's all mostly useless. The fact that it's there and draws so much attention, which directly means that it takes up so much of the player's time by design, is the issue. It also kind of creates layers of activity that do add variety to the things you can do, but to very little consequence.

And the big issue, as I see it, is that it slows down the pacing of the game, draws attention away from the action of the story and connection to the world, creates tedium or frustration if you're not finding the loot you want, and simply doesn't seem to fit into the core of the game.

Now, I've been making this argument since Oblivion released, and I've tended to focus it squarely at Bethesda titles up to this point, but I think it applies somewhat here, as well. Even if a game is really enjoyable, it's possible that it loses a sense of itself. Mechanics can run away from the overall vision. Take Fallout 4 as a comparison. I looooooved the gun crafting thing. That was great fun...but it was overdone. The loot, as a whole, was overdone. On one hand, I'm supposed to be searching the Wasteland for my child, and then I spend two solid weeks exploring the same few sites to grind XP and collect bits to add to my laser rifle. It competes against itself to define itself. I doesn't work. Is my character looting and crafting and building a new society out of the rubble of the old world...or is he a father hell-bent on finding his son against all odds? It can't be both, but that's exactly what happens in the actual gameplay. In the end, both fall flat because they're competing with each other. If I focus on all the looting and crafting and building, I feel like I'm fending off the plot with a stick while it constantly pokes me and prods me to stay focused. If I follow the plot, I feel like I'm missing all of the stuff in the game and rushing forward.

The same thing is true in Cyberpunk, though I don't think it's as big of a disparity, since the game just sort of opens doors for the player and lets them get to it in their own time. But, there's enough stuff in the game -- especially looting -- that when I finally got back to the main plot, I had to consciously remember where I left off and what was going on.

Kind of like the arguments I've made about Fallout 4 -- it would have been an awesome game if had not been a Fallout game. If it had been a game about looting sites, building up a community and trade network, and defending your settlements from attack -- that could have been a phenomenal game. But because it also tried to be a Fallout game with a narrative arc and dramatic build ups...it all fell flat. Nothing ever felt like it really connected.

Hence, I think that the action, pacing, impact, and sense of immersion would have been greatly magnified for Cyberpunk if the looting had been streamlined. Conversely, a more robust looting system would work great if the game was far more sandbox-y and less focused on a central storyline.

Absolutely! And I like this style of play. Just recently got pulled into Destiny 2 by a couple of friends. It's hella fun when the core game is about grinding areas for loot, finding powerups and rare drops, etc. But don't ask me too much about the characters or the storyline -- it's sort of pointless. Interesting premise for the universe, but it's clearly not the focus of the game. It's only a backdrop. The game is about shoot and loot.

However, I think there's enough there that a more narrative RPG could be developed around the universe. To do that successfully, though, we'd need to really tighten up the gameplay, ensure any new weapons or powerups are in sync with the progress of the story arc, and take care that the pacing of the game doesn't leave the player feeling either a.) rushed and overwhelmed or b.) like they're slogging or spinning circles. It would need to be a very different game, even if it was still going to use the shooter mechanics for combat.

And credit to the game for the versatility it does allow. I did a mostly stealth playthrough, using a pistol and baton, and I was able to get through the whole game like that. Finished all the Cyberpsycho missions, as well. The loot can be almost completely ignored without losing much of anything.

And that's kind of the point. If that's the case...I can't help but see it as a missed opportunity to develop additional gameplay avenues instead of creating piles and piles of constant loot. And not just for CP2077 -- for all RPGs. I think of all the things we could be doing...all the other cool systems that could be in place...if we aren't constantly picking up and managing loot.
Problem is: CDPR does not execute this well. They're trying to copy game design from other games with entirely different design goals, and they still execute it very poorly.
"Junk loot" has a place in immersive single player games: it creates a sense of more believable world as objects are place in logical sense, strengthening world building.
Games like Morrowind or Kingdom Come Deliverance do this well: everything is placed exactly as it should be.
CDPR does abysmal job with this because there is so little actual variety of it, and it's placed with no logic or reason, often ruining ambiance and "sense of place".
In KCD tailor houses will lock away clothing items, wealthy will have books, peasants will have barely anything...in Witcher, "poor starving" peasants will have expensive crafting components, Cyberpunk's abandoned, deserted apartments will have "epic components" and stacks of money on the shelves.
They're trying to imitate games like Destiny or Diablo ( where a key component of player engagement is constant rewards through loot), but CDPR does not have anything to show for it. And in the process, they actually harm key strengths of their own games: all the effort that goes into worldbuilding , quests and environment design.
Likewise, CDPR trying to make the same style of levelled weapon system and itemization is incredibly poorly thought of and executed.
To make that kind of gameplay system feel engaging and rewarding, every "looter" game needs to have 4 main, basic components:
1. Large variety of Fundamental types of weapons and their basic properties ( visuals, sounds, types, etc)
2. Large variety of Secondary properties on gear
3. Good number of Secondary properties need to feel interesting and dynamically affect gameplay in some way ( in a form of active visual effects or similar)
4. Extensive customization and upgrade gear system
Diablo II is still one of the best games in the genre and for a good reason: you have a ton of different types of gear, massive variety of suffixes and prefixes, incredibly variety of different properties, runes, gems, rune words, etc, etc.
CDPR does not fulfill even a single, basic criteria for this: resulting in a dull, shallow system where player is every 5-10 minutes switching between a handfull of different weapon/armor types, for a slightly higher DPS/Armor and +/- few % to some passive secondary property ( + 6% to Aard, +8% to extra Thermal damage, etc)
It's like being forced to eat huge quantity of the most bland, tasteless food in the world ( until after an hour or so, you simply feel like vomiting).
And what's even worse this also ruins character progression system, difficulty and exploration.
Their games would be better off with with no loot or very minimalistic loot system ( Witcher I ).

It was very true back in December (components were expensive as hell...). But now, components are "very cheap" in all the shops (about 10 times cheaper). So looting is simply one way to aquire them. Buying them is way more easier, quicker and a cheap way to aquire them for those who don't want/like looting (and again, it don't require any crafting skill for upgrade your favorite weapons to keep them "useful" during the whole game).
There is a way for everybody :)

In my case, yes I could buy my components, but if I can have them "for free", it's even better and not bother me (I'll keep my money for other things).

In the video game industry, it is well-known that if you let them, players will take the fun out of the game. That is a big conversation within the industry and that is one of the biggest issue developers have to solve within their own games.

What many are saying here, or exposing, is that this problem is very present in CP2077. I am not saying that their arguments are better than yours, just stating that this conversation is proof that CDPR did not solve the problem.

One thing that was said and is very important is that CDPR did not make the importance of those systems known early in the game, which "forces" people to collect everything - wether it will be worth it or not. That is the crux of having all the possible systems in all given games and why many feels like those systems were tacked on to please all crowds, without much forethought.

I think this is were the real issue lies.

Last edited:
Their games would be better off with with no loot or very minimalistic loot system ( Witcher I ).

Looking at Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk, this rings true.

The itemization in both of their previous games is horrible (probably because they’re largely the same).

That said, though, I wouldn’t necessarily start out ”fixing” things by cutting loot out. Even if most of it might be worthless, it serves its purpose in other areas.

I’d rather change the core gameplay, turn it away from being a looter shooter and, in all honesty, being a shooter at heart in the first place.

Ok, it's rather interesting to talk about Oblivion, because it is maybe the game where I got this habit (maybe bad ^^), of considering "inventory management" as a saving break during the story. Because it's the moment when I'm going to have a coffee, smoke a cigarette and unplug my brain (without putting down the controller but at least, without thinking too much).
It may also be the way of playing. I usually play a lot in a row (I finished Cyberpunk before December 20), so I didn't really need to "remember" what I did a few hours/days earlier.
For example, I just re-finished Greedfall in few days and it's the same "story". Quests, loots, inventory management, crafting and shops visits between almost each quest and with a real "enjoyement". Even if my "fair cousin" is about to die... :)
Constantin.png
(And also I'm a "Minecraft addict", so when we're talking about crafting, looting, inventory management... I'm the kind of players who dig down to the bedrock, pick up each piece of cobblestone and have a hell of bunch of "useless" double chest of stone)

Last edited:
Ok, it's rather interesting to talk about Oblivion, because it is maybe the game where I got this habit (maybe bad ^^), of considering "inventory management" as a saving break during the story. Because it's the moment when I'm going to have a coffee, smoke a cigarette and unplug my brain (without putting down the controller but at least, without thinking too much).
It may also be the way of playing. I usually play a lot in a row (I finished Cyberpunk before December 20), so I didn't really need to "remember" what I did a few hours/days earlier.
For example, I just re-finished Greedfall in few days and it's the same "story". Quests, loots, inventory management, crafting and shops visits between almost each quest and with a real "enjoyement". Even if my "fair cousin" is about to die... :)
(And also I'm a "Minecraft addict", so when we're talking about crafting, looting, inventory management... I'm the kind of players who dig down to the bedrock, pick up each piece of cobblestone and have a hell of bunch of "useless" double chest of stone)

Yeah, I get you on the taking a break part. I do use those moments in other games. Heck, I did it in Witcher 3, crafting potion and preparing for battle.

But the conversation here is not really about this in a sense. It is about how it was implemented. Everybody have their own taste, which is fine, but it seems obvious to most that the loot system in CP2077 came out undercooked and not well integrated with the game/atmosphere.

For me, it starts with the lack of gear sets and treasure hunting them (it could be from past legends). Then, the fact that everything can be crafted anywhere (I loved the Witcher 3 armorers). Also, the visual clutter is way to much (which I think you agreed with this, offering a solution in a toggle switch). Again, it is just too much loot and the player is constantly reminded of it.

In Witcher 3, things had a meaning within the world, reinforced the narrative and the immersion. In CP2077, I just don't see anything beside cramming a generic looting/crafting system to appease the fans of this genre.

There are redeeming qualities though and while how item indicator works in HUD, it takes attention, but color coding is good feature white, green, blue, etc. I don't think it has mode for amount of eddies though. I think it's white indicator regardless if it's 10 eddies or 1k eddies. Not sure though but if it's like that, perhaps they could find a way to improve that.

But it's interesting, say homo-sapiens, hunter gatherers yet today we see all sorts of things all the time. We don't go after plastic bags at the side of sidewalk or do things like that. For future of games, if we want enhanced virtual spaces experiences we must also learn to accept banal aspects of items and that they are part of those environments too. Say kitchen and there are spoons and they have no purpose really as virtual food is silly but player could collect them and start jugging with them, to make a video to share on social media and so on.

I think CP 2077 does some things right with items like ashtrays that are everywhere and that. They serve purpose for looters for reward function, looter crafters for components and for the rest they are items that make sense in CP universe where smoking is very common.

There's something that I forgot to mention earlier regarding food items. If things don't go as planned, which happened to me quite a few times, eating whatever is there is one way to save the situation.

There are things I don't think can be entirely dictated from the top with product of this scale, how people should play say this game. I think it's wise to leave some things to modders.

In the end I think it's that while people play and like same product it might be for different reasons. It doesn't even need to be interactive work, say movie Blade Runner, how different people interpret it can be total opposites even both groups present fans of movie.

Commercial realities are there too, making economies in games more transparent, HUD work, that I guess could be within realms of possibility.

One of the main issues I see is that when there's no commo understanding about what makes good experience for us. Say Min maxer, their go their way to most effective build and that's their way to play the game and any game they play and it's perfectly valid. Problems comes if we don't discuss about other builds that systems make possible and how it can be fun to experience game with them, because in the end it doesn't matter if you kill 100 health enemy with 200 point shot or 1k point shot. Loot is important in that, as crafting is to way to get those damage monsters.

There are cases like what @LeKill3rFou described with headshots and assault rifle and I have been thinking about that a lot but there just things we can't know for what purpose game works like that.

"Junk loot" has a place in immersive single player games: it creates a sense of more believable world as objects are place in logical sense, strengthening world building.
Games like Morrowind or Kingdom Come Deliverance do this well: everything is placed exactly as it should be.
CDPR does abysmal job with this because there is so little actual variety of it, and it's placed with no logic or reason, often ruining ambiance and "sense of place".
I think game does much better on that in 1.24 and 1.3 than day 1 to 1.06. People on lower ladders of Night City society has common alcoholic drinks in their huts when high quality stuff can be only find in certain places where it makes sense, etc.
In the video game industry, it is well-known that if you let them, players will take the fun out of the game. That is a big conversation within the industry and that is one of the biggest issue developers have to solve within their own games.

What many are saying here, or exposing, is that this problem is very present in CP2077. I am not saying that their arguments are better than yours, just stating that this conversation is proof that CDPR did not solve the problem.

One thing that was said and is very important is that CDPR did not make the importance of those systems known early in the game, which "forces" people to collect everything - wether it will be worth it or not. That is the crux of having all the possible systems in all given games and why many feels like those systems were tacked on to please all crowded, without much forethought.

I think this is were the real issue lies.
This appears to be very true but I also think the biggest corporations in gaming, I think they have solved the problem by making a lot of money from that.

There's certain irony in that those giant corporations have lot's of resources outside of programming and that, but they have no incentive to change anything as current model works for them. CDPR with their thin catalogue, would be awfully risky move to copy that business model, so they have incentive to look further into this. Hope they will.
Post automatically merged:

Can't say anything about Oblivion, lot's of games mentioned in this topic I never played and to be honest, never going to play but anyway.

For me on my first run, I took time watching NPC's and I was processing certain things, genre things and how it relates to our world, frankly few things in sci-fi that aren't silly. But then on my second playthrough, one where I went testing crafting and that. I took cars to drift or cruised in the City Center and it was counter productive for me finishing things but I had to escape the menus and pushing buttons.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get you on the taking a break part. I do use those moments in other games. Heck, I did it in Witcher 3, crafting potion and preparing for battle.

But the conversation here is not really about this in a sense. It is about how it was implemented. Everybody have their own taste, which is fine, but it seems obvious to most that the loot system in CP2077 came out undercooked and not well integrated with the game/atmosphere.

For me, it starts with the lack of gear sets and treasure hunting them (it could be from past legends). Then, the fact that everything can be crafted anywhere (I loved the Witcher 3 armorers). Also, the visual clutter is way to much (which I think you agreed with this, offering a solution in a toggle switch). Again, it is just too much loot and the player is constantly reminded of it.

In Witcher 3, things had a meaning within the world, reinforced the narrative and the immersion. In CP2077, I just don't see anything beside cramming a generic looting/crafting system to appease the fans of this genre.
I'm not saying that the loot system is perfect, that it couldn't be improved. Besides, I doubt that the "perfect system" will ever exist because there will always be something that will not please someone.

But the "good" point in Cyberpunk is that it is possible to ignore it altogether if you want to without any issues nor game limitations (except the loot icons in the HUD). Anyway, the best weapons/equipment in the game are aquired other than in the random loot itself (quest reward or on bosses in some area). And shops are there for those who don't want spend time to loot/dismantle stuff.

My point is that it make no sense to me to say the game would be better without a loot system. Each player have is own preferences and definitions on what is "better". So the "best/safe" way is to make a system that is possible to ignore for those who want.
In the same way as:
- The game would be better without the character creator. V have character presets, so you can ignore it if you want.
- The game would be better without an open world. I've just finished Greedfall, and I'm sorry, but navigate between small maps with fast travel, it's not really for me. I don't have the "sensation" of liberty that I have in an open world (where I can go wherever I want).

If someone is not interested by loots and find it boring, but nevertheless because there are icons and that he can pick it up, he do it. And he complain after 'cause managing his inventory is annoying... I don't know what to say, it's a lost cause :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom