Cool Math:

+
Per google...

Cost to make Cyberpunk 2077:

approximately $314 million

According to analysts at the Polish brokerage firm ( via NIntendoSmash ), the approximate budget of Cyberpunk 2077 is set to reach PLN 1.2 billion, which is approximately $314 million.

--

How many copies of Cyberpunk 2077 sold?

13 million copies

Cyberpunk 2077 has sold approximately 13 million copies including both physical and digital sales, according to CD Projekt. 7 days ago

((note 7 days ago, it's probably way more now))

--

Cool Math:

13,000,000 x $60 = $780,000,000
(seven hundred eighty million)

310,000,000 - 780,000,000 = $466,000,000 Profit

1609240434133.png

I was thinking the same, given they knew that the preorder number was high (7 millions of something). Who in a sane mind would jus pass on and delay the game even further? Even considering the best of intentions, or inherent good faith towards customers of the person in charge, e.g. total commitment in supporting the game post release with patches, free dlc and what not just to compensate the eventual fucks up. I think even a saint would simply take that chance and cash in now. Also how are the odds that Sony and MS were as happy as CDPR seeing those preorder to just take those money and build on the success to still make customers satisfaction their primary goal as it has always been for CDPR.

This is only the beginning. I think they're going to make multiple billions with this game. Future DLC expansions, multiplayer, merch etc. They also trademark'd word "Cyberpunk". So getting Hollywood money for movie rights is just question of time.

It's questionable how they accomplished this, but those of you who thought that this game witll bankrupt entire CD PROJEKT S.A, well you look like a fools now... and theres also Witcher franchise which has about 40 million of fans + Netflix show viewers. The Witcher 4 would be literaly like printing the money.

" buT acTUAllY tHERe iS laWSuiT gOINg oN nOW ".

I am sure president & CEO of CDP S.A. are laughing their asses off at this lawsuit.

the question is not if they'll go bankrupt but if in hindsight it was the good thing to do and meet the release date. I think so.

the question is not if they'll go bankrupt but if in hindsight it was the good thing to do and meet the release date. I think so.
I don't think so. Publishing an unfinished game is never a good thing.
Was it profitable for CDPR? Yes. They lost stock value, sure, but that'll recover. The 13 million sales are hard cash.
For gamers (especially console players) it was a slap in the face after that one trailer specifically said "Coming when it's ready."

Well, it's not ready.

1) That's not how profits work
2) CDPR isn't getting anywhere near $60 from each game sold even before you account for additional cost of sale externalities
3) Their physical sales plummeted in the second week completely at least in places like the UK where they dropped behind months old ubisoft games

Last edited:
I was thinking the same, given they knew that the preorder number was high (7 millions of something). Who in a sane mind would jus pass on and delay the game even further? Even considering the best of intentions, or inherent good faith towards customers of the person in charge, e.g. total commitment in supporting the game post release with patches, free dlc and what not just to compensate the eventual fucks up. I think even a saint would simply take that chance and cash in now. Also how are the odds that Sony and MS were as happy as CDPR seeing those preorder to just take those money and build on the success to still make customers satisfaction their primary goal as it has always been for CDPR.

That's why I find Sony is full of BS. They were perfectly happy to sell those ps4 games given how much they cash in when they sell things (even worse digitally).
It isn't a surprise Sony started crying and hit CDPR when they talked about refund, which was basically less money for Sony.

It's all about money folks. But I think on this very thing, Sony has proven to be the greater evil. They've been for quite a while now, given how they handled the ps5 thing, retrocompatibility, launch issues, etc. Anyway, that's for another discussion entirely.

Well everyone has a right to be wrong... and you are certainly making use of you right on that one! It was a "mistake" (lie) to say at the beginning of the year the game was gold... i have 140 hours in the game and did everything the devs offer as an "activity" in game... and while it is not a bad game per se... it doesn't even try to match the expectations CDPR themselves set with their extensive marketing campaign... combine that with all the bugs, the ridiculous amount of obviously and hastily cut content and the half baked (loot & crafting system) and some cases downright broken gameplay mechanics (wanted system/ ai)... it is obvious that the games release is far from a good thing... and that is me talking about the PC version of the game... there is no argument to be made to justify its state on consoles... none what so ever!

I said "I think... " it doesn't imply rightfully

What I mean given that (as you said and which I also believe) the game was still unfinished and it needed at least one year to cook, was it it really worth it (for the sake of holiness towards the customers) to delay as such and not know what would happen to all those preorder while at the same time all those preorders and more could be turned in capital right there?

At some point a sensed business decision has to be made.

These companies are not charities and take a lot risks, and now that the game is out they can still fulfill their holy commitment with that cash (am talking from their point of view here).

For how the game has turned out I am quite happy and satisfied (not all the customers are the same), I feel bad that the ps4 crew cannot say the same. Maybe is also Sony's fault to allow to ship this version.

Your premise is completely false.

First of all, Steam takes a 30% cut from every copy sold. Don't know how much Sony and Microsoft takes, but they take their cut too, in addition to retail stores for physical copies.

The only 60$ they get is from GOG sales.

Cool Math:

13,000,000 x $60 = $780,000,000
(seven hundred eighty million)

310,000,000 - 780,000,000 = $466,000,000 Profit

Yeah, well... It doesn't go quite like that for CDPR.

Only GOG money goes to straight to them. Steam, Epic Store, UPlay, Origin, Playstation Store, Windows/XBox Store (what ever it is called), and every other retailer takes a cut from each $60.

Let's be generous and say that 1mil bought it from GOG, and the rest came from somewhere else.
And I've heard that Steam takes around 30% slice from each game sold (I'm not sure, but I have a faint recollection). I don't know how much everyone else takes, but let's assume it is somewhere in the same ballpark and the average retailer cut is 25%.

So.
12mil retaller copies * $60 * 0,75 after cuts + (1mil GOG * $60) = $540mil
$540mil - $314mil = $226mil profit

That's some rough and hasty math (and might even be wrong; I mean, there are no taxes accounted for for one, or the €/$ relationship, or if console copies sell for more than $60...), but if the 13 million is true and if the retailer cuts are around that 25% on average, it's still a lot of money, but CDPR hasn't even broken even yet with it.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised the development costs exceeded 300 million, to be honest. I'd thought Poland would have way cheaper labor cost than other European countries.

I'm kind of surprised the development costs exceeded 300 million, to be honest. I'd thought Poland would have way cheaper labor cost than other European countries.

You think a company like CDPR can attract talent from across the world with 2E hourly wages?

You think a company like CDPR can attract talent from across the world with 2E hourly wages?

Cost of living certainly affects the payment one gets, and I'd be willing to guess most of the team is located in Poland. Game dev is far from the best paying job in the software industry, to the point where I'm wondering if the ~300 million development cost is including marketing.

Cost of living certainly affects the payment one gets, and I'd be willing to guess most of the team is located in Poland. Game dev is far from the best paying job in the software industry, to the point where I'm wondering if the ~300 million development cost is including marketing.

You know the salaries are public knowledge, right?

You know the salaries are public knowledge, right?

Yep. Assuming the average cost for 1 developer is 80k per year, that would be the equivalent of 3750 development man-years. Obviously there's a lot more than one dev working on Cyberpunk, but it still shows that the 300 million figure is probably not considering development costs only.

Yep. Assuming the average cost for 1 developer is 80k per year, that would be the equivalent of 3750 development man-years. Obviously there's a lot more than one dev working on Cyberpunk, but it still shows that the 300 million figure is probably not considering development costs only.

All the scenes are MoCapped in a movie studio, not cheap. It's why cutscenes are so natural, cause they are acted by real people in gimp suits.

They do have wayyy cheaper labor costs.

SWTOR is another $300m+ game that pretty much flopped and if you look at where the majority of development money went to = Voice Actors...

Top Bottom