Corpo beginning SPOILERS!

+

Rddc

Forum regular
So when you start as a Nomad you remain a Nomad throughout the game. Same for the Street kid. The Corpo beginning however is over in the first 15 minutes. Then your character is in the same place as the others 2 beginnings. I don't think this story line was well thought out. Why is V who works security for Arasaka best buddies with Jackie Wells to the point he's calling her at work asking how her day is going? The other two beginnings, Jackie meets Nomad V doing the job and Street Kid V and Jackie are both trying to steal the same car, that makes perfect sense. I think they missed an opportunity here to expand on the Corpo beginning. How about if V had an opportunity to give up Jenkins and remain at Arasaka for at least a while? What if she lived in one of those nice houses in the south, What if she became disillusioned working for Arasaka and was approached by someone who knew this, T-Bug? Who was planning a job? What if Corpo V who is basically holds the same position Meredith Stout holds at Militech ( which is why I feel this character would play out better as female) Then gets in touch with someone from a list of less than savory characters she would call on when the need arises and one of those people is none other than Jackie Wells. I was really disappointed in the Corpo beginning. Probably because I had this whole concept swiring around in my head about how it would play out.

I found the lack of inside corporation gameplay very disappointing, too.
The game was obviously tinkered around the street kid life path.
We can experience a bit of nomad lifestyle later on. But the corporations remain out of our reach for the rest of the game.

I would also love to have a much different experience of the game based on the background you choose.
Regarding your question about Corpo V knowing Jackie well I'd say Jackie must have been V's street contact and V used him to get a lot of shit done before.

I would also love to have a much different experience of the game based on the background you choose.
Regarding your question about Corpo V knowing Jackie well I'd say Jackie must have been V's street contact and V used him to get a lot of shit done before.
If you talk with him in the bar he says some stuff about mexico border and keeping quiet about it. So my guess is V knew Jackie long before s/he became a corpo. Never realy explained to my knowlage tho.

I assume that Jackie is someone that Corpo V hired to do stuff before but wasn't really in on doing a corporate hit.

I actually liked how abrupt it all was.

Because if you did kill your boss, no way would they just fire you.

It was probably a lot better before Keanu was introduced as the damn MC. The other life paths coexist with silverhand. Corpo does not. So what better way to fix that is there than, forcing you to do some dumb hit job that gets you burned in 10 minutes. I have a whole thread on the corpo lifepath fail. You are not alone

It was probably a lot better before Keanu was introduced as the damn MC. The other life paths coexist with silverhand. Corpo does not. So what better way to fix that is there than, forcing you to do some dumb hit job that gets you burned in 10 minutes.

Speaking as Corpo V, I absolutely sided with Silverhand. Nomad and Street Kid cannot remotely understand the desire of the Corpo to kill every single Arasaka employee to the last man.

They all deserve to burn for betraying you.

The Arasaka employee V *KNOWS* what scumbags they are.

I have a whole thread on the corpo lifepath fail. You are not alone

Serious question, but what motivation is the Corpo who isn't burned's motivation to be an independent Edgerunner?

So when you start as a Nomad you remain a Nomad throughout the game. Same for the Street kid. The Corpo beginning however is over in the first 15 minutes. Then your character is in the same place as the others 2 beginnings. I don't think this story line was well thought out. Why is V who works security for Arasaka best buddies with Jackie Wells to the point he's calling her at work asking how her day is going? The other two beginnings, Jackie meets Nomad V doing the job and Street Kid V and Jackie are both trying to steal the same car, that makes perfect sense. I think they missed an opportunity here to expand on the Corpo beginning. How about if V had an opportunity to give up Jenkins and remain at Arasaka for at least a while? What if she lived in one of those nice houses in the south, What if she became disillusioned working for Arasaka and was approached by someone who knew this, T-Bug? Who was planning a job? What if Corpo V who is basically holds the same position Meredith Stout holds at Militech ( which is why I feel this character would play out better as female) Then gets in touch with someone from a list of less than savory characters she would call on when the need arises and one of those people is none other than Jackie Wells. I was really disappointed in the Corpo beginning. Probably because I had this whole concept swiring around in my head about how it would play out.

Corpo begining is awesome and i think the most intense. You are put in an lose-lose situation by Jenkins, you know you are screwed, then this situation in Lizzies bar, super intense. Its all greatly written. Jackie is your pal from childhood. Thats what i figured out. You were both growing up together but you took the Arasaka path that Jackie doesnt approve. Still, hes your friend and he will back you no matter what. Its what he said in the bar. And once you are in hands of Corpo theres no quitting unless Corpo kicks you out. V understood it so did Jackie.

I think they just abandoned their original plans for the life paths after they saw how long it took to develop the street kid path, so they merged them all together to save time.

I think the development of Cyberpunk 2077 may have been a bit messy, to say the least, I think it took them quite a while to find a solid direction on where they were going with the game. I mean if you listen to some of the plans (or more accurately aspirations for the game) around the time they launched the very first trailer a lot of them sounded a little too ambitious.

Apparently they wanted to make each class playable with each job role playing a significant part not only on your available skills but your character's story, it all sounded a little too ambitious and it was really no surprise to see a lot of these ideas scaled back.

Corpo begining is awesome and i think the most intense. You are put in an lose-lose situation by Jenkins, you know you are screwed, then this situation in Lizzies bar, super intense. Its all greatly written. Jackie is your pal from childhood. Thats what i figured out. You were both growing up together but you took the Arasaka path that Jackie doesnt approve. Still, hes your friend and he will back you no matter what. Its what he said in the bar. And once you are in hands of Corpo theres no quitting unless Corpo kicks you out. V understood it so did Jackie.

I feel like the Corpo adventure would have been fine if we'd gotten a later side gig to kill Jenkins or Albernathy.

It didn't have to be at the start of the game.

Just have Jenkins show up later and go, "I'm back! I got out! I need you to do that job for me now."

Hell, you could just redo that mission where you kill the corpo lady in Downtown.

Speaking as Corpo V, I absolutely sided with Silverhand. Nomad and Street Kid cannot remotely understand the desire of the Corpo to kill every single Arasaka employee to the last man.

They all deserve to burn for betraying you.

The Arasaka employee V *KNOWS* what scumbags they are.

Serious question, but what motivation is the Corpo who isn't burned's motivation to be an independent Edgerunner?
Arasaka didn't betray you. You were given a mission to kill Abernathy. If anything, Jenkins is just an idiot. They essentially force you to hate corps throughout the story with no detailed context why. Outside of silverhand hating corp's. There's no background story on V, but you're right under the head of counterintelligence, so we can assume V didn't hate it all that much to move up so far.

In terms of story, we've seen multiple games that allow you to make different choices that heavily effect the story and who you interact with, and how they interact with you. I don't think it would be too ambitious to allow us to live specifically in the lifepath we choose, and let our story decisions decide where we end up.

It's just too difficult to do that when you want silverhand to be a strong focal point of the story. I like silverhand in some parts, but in the grand scheme of things, I truly believe he ruined the "what could have been" a great diverse storyline.

Let's hypothetically remove silverhand out of our brains and think of the limitless options the story could have contained. In the whole game, only like 2 dialogue options impact what happens in the story. You're forced through it, and that makes me feel like V really has no progress as a character. Johnny on the other hand, develops as a character and V is just there trying to survive.

I thought it very strange that V in general has very little contact to "corpos". The fact that Corpo V used to be a corpo just highlights it, as corpo V turns into essentially a street kid for the remainder of the game. I seriously thought that corpos would have played a much bigger part in the game, been essentially a "faction" of their own, and V would've had to make choises favoring one side or another. Nothing of the sort comes to be.

Its not like Arasaka is the ONLY corp in the city?

Arasaka didn't betray you. You were given a mission to kill Abernathy.

Yes and they seized your bank accounts and forced you on the street. My biggest regret aside from no "Kill Dex" mission is there's no Kill Albernathy mission.

If anything, Jenkins is just an idiot. They essentially force you to hate corps throughout the story with no detailed context why. Outside of silverhand hating corp's. There's no background story on V, but you're right under the head of counterintelligence, so we can assume V didn't hate it all that much to move up so far.

I think hating corpos in a game where the world is literally under the dictatorship of them and an enormous hellhole for all but the .01% is not really something that needs explaining. If you've been kicked out of the 1% you'll either do anything to rejoin them or want to burn them.

In terms of story, we've seen multiple games that allow you to make different choices that heavily effect the story and who you interact with, and how they interact with you. I don't think it would be too ambitious to allow us to live specifically in the lifepath we choose, and let our story decisions decide where we end up.

I believe this is pretty much the Corpo response that dramatically changes the tone with dealing with the rich.

It's just too difficult to do that when you want silverhand to be a strong focal point of the story. I like silverhand in some parts, but in the grand scheme of things, I truly believe he ruined the "what could have been" a great diverse storyline.

Well the game should be about being an Edgerunner doing mercenary jobs in Night City. I'm curious if you don't want to do do that.

Let's hypothetically remove silverhand out of our brains and think of the limitless options the story could have contained. In the whole game, only like 2 dialogue options impact what happens in the story. You're forced through it, and that makes me feel like V really has no progress as a character. Johnny on the other hand, develops as a character and V is just there trying to survive.

Well the game would still be 90% killing people, robbing people, spying on people, and sabotaging people because that's what Edgerunners do. Johnny Silverhand didn't make you a street merc and that is your profession whether or not you're trying to get him out of your head.

Yes and they seized your bank accounts and forced you on the street. My biggest regret aside from no "Kill Dex" mission is there's no Kill Albernathy mission.

I think hating corpos in a game where the world is literally under the dictatorship of them and an enormous hellhole for all but the .01% is not really something that needs explaining. If you've been kicked out of the 1% you'll either do anything to rejoin them or want to burn them.

I believe this is pretty much the Corpo response that dramatically changes the tone with dealing with the rich.

Well the game should be about being an Edgerunner doing mercenary jobs in Night City. I'm curious if you don't want to do do that.

Well the game would still be 90% killing people, robbing people, spying on people, and sabotaging people because that's what Edgerunners do. Johnny Silverhand didn't make you a street merc and that is your profession whether or not you're trying to get him out of your head.
Right and I don't necessarily disagree with you on those fronts. However, that's not the point i'm making. I'm more so talking about the fact that the corpo lifepath seems to not be a lifepath at all. All of the lifepaths wind down to the same exact point not too far into the story. So much so, that there's almost no point to having the lifepath format in the game. Yes, it does give you different "prologues" and a few different dialogue options that do literally nothing...

I wonder if they at one point intended for lifepaths to be a full immersion for a majority of the story then coming to a mutual point later on in the story. For example, if the jenkins quest came instead of 20 minutes in, 20 hours in. I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find what their initial story plans were. Because I'm sure a lot of it changed once they had to figure out how to squeeze keanu in. I just truly hope DLC expands on the entire spectrum of NC one way or the other. Whether it's a story that allows you to finally decide where you go, or outside story activities.

Because personally, I would love to get more of the corpo experience, than being an afterlife merc.

I feel like the Corpo adventure would have been fine if we'd gotten a later side gig to kill Jenkins or Albernathy.

It didn't have to be at the start of the game.

Just have Jenkins show up later and go, "I'm back! I got out! I need you to do that job for me now."

Hell, you could just redo that mission where you kill the corpo lady in Downtown.

yea that would be fun actually. I found a prolog much more interesting than main silverhand story (besides voodo boys part). Side quests r nice but the prolog part is damn awesome.

Rddc

Forum regular
I didn't question Corpo V knowing Jackie. I questioned them being buddies to the point Jackie is calling V at work asking how his/her day is going. Street contact V contacting Jackie when needed, fine. Buddy Jackie calling V asking how their day is going seems odd.

From their first phone conversation (when corpo V is puking in front of mirror) it is alluded that they probably knew each other a long time - maybe even as kids or young adults, since those days, and are probably even from similar backgrounds but corpo V "carved" her way into a high position at Arasaka while Jackie stayed on the streets. So it's kinda slap in the face for a person who wanted to get away from the street life and was able to wiggle their way into a high position at a corp like Arasaka to be knocked back out onto the street.

I think they just abandoned their original plans for the life paths after they saw how long it took to develop the street kid path, so they merged them all together to save time.
The street kid path is shorter than the Nomad one and just as under developed... The nomad one is technically the longest and the one with the most gameplay, the Corpo is arguably also longer than Street Kid.

Stret Kid is talk to one guy, go to a parking lot and it's a cut scene from there.

Top Bottom