Correct use of Scoia'tel Faction Ability

+
Correct use of Scoia'tel Faction Ability

I have been playing Scoia'tel over the last couple of days and I have been thinking about how to use the Faction Ability effectively. Generally I think there is a particular way of using the ability that is the best the vast majority of the time:

Ignore the first round. Use the ability on the first round you win to make your opponent go first.

The reasoning on the "irst round ignore" is fairly straight foward since you have a 50% chance to get the outcome you want in the first place. In the following round the order in which you get to play is determined by who won the prior round. Thus using the ability in the second or third round guarantuees that you get value out of your Faction ability.

The reasoning for the second part rests on one assumption:

It is generally better to go second.

If you pass first your oponnent has used one more card and turn than you. If your opponnent passes first, you can pass without having to play more cards. This way you can never invest more than your opponnent while he has the option to react. Since the player that won the last round has to go the first the next round it is correct under this assumption to use the ability after the first round you won to get to ge second the next round.

What do you fine folks think? Have you ever come across a situation where it was correct to choose to go first?

Usually I'm for going second too, but sometimes in the last round against NR I'll go first so I can use traps because Neneke/medics.

Yeah, same. Pass for 50% chance they'll go first in first round then go second when I win a round.

Before they changed Eredin, I used to let monster go first sometimes with my specials deck because they would be so predictable: They would drop a gold, I'd drop hawker, they'd pass or drop another gold, I'd adrenaline/swallow hawker for round win and carried over buffed hawker.

For me it depends on what kind of Scoia'tel deck you are going with.

If playing with a Dwarf deck i usually try to bait the opponent into using his card at first round. Play some cards that will come with me to the second round(Zoltan, Ciri, Mahakam Defenders) and let him start begin at second to widen even more the number of cards gap.

With Elven based deck I usually start first, cuz traps.

Top Bottom