Costly, painfull, popular - examples of mistakes made by players

+
As it commonly know, it is good to learn on the own mistakes. But I will say: it is way better to learn on mistakes of others.
And that is why I want to start a topic about interesting, common, ot painfull a mistakes that You witnessed in the game and You want to sheare or discuss. Every day is a school day and I think that not only new but also even vereran's can learn something from these kind of thread are find something interesting. The only rule of posting is to ilustrate mistake by screen from the battlefield, to made it more clear that only verbal expression. I will start from very popular, and common mistake made by Harmony players - they sometime's forgot that the igni exist and place all young driads in one row what can be very painfull expirience - like for my today's opponents. I hope.for another interesting examples of mistakes from community! Cheers!

PS the idea of the thread by @Falavandrel from Polish gwent forum

Attachments

• 20200620_155056.jpg
    20200620_155056.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 406
Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im sorry, i dont have pictures to show it, but i will describe one example nonetheless, that happened to me recently:

On seasonal, my opponent played Heftly Helge. I was alarmed, and immediately started thinking of how to counter it but i didnt have one on hand, so i play a card and think 'im screwed'.
Opponent plays Imperial diplomacy into Barghest, forgetting it needed to consume on deploy and cant even discard it, so it was forced to consume its Helge!

I was laughing my ass off and the typical "humiliation forfeit" happened immediately :ohstopit:

Im sorry, i dont have pictures to show it, but i will describe one example nonetheless, that happened to me recently:

On seasonal, my opponent played Heftly Helge. I was alarmed, and immediately started thinking of how to counter it but i didnt have one on hand, so i play a card and think 'im screwed'.
Opponent plays Imperial diplomacy into Barghest, forgetting it needed to consume on deploy and cant even discard it, so it was forced to consume its Helge!

I was laughing my ass off and the typical "humiliation forfeit" happened immediately :ohstopit:

Wow that is good one, I myself made similar mistake when opponent after win in round one passes second round with 8 cards, and I wanted to get rid of two cards. I throw out pellar, and afree that boiling oil forgetting that I will kill pellar if there will be no units on the opponents side of the table. I made "humiliation forfeit" after that also lol :D

DRK3

Forum veteran
Wow that is good one, I myself made similar mistake when opponent after win in round one passes second round with 8 cards, and I wanted to get rid of two cards. I throw out pellar, and afree that boiling oil forgetting that I will kill pellar if there will be no units on the opponents side of the table. I made "humiliation forfeit" after that also lol :D

In most situations, like the one you mentioned, you can discard a card by clicking it, then clicking on the graveyard to discard it instead of playing it, its an option that really should be taught in the tutorials (i dont think it teaches that, at least it didnt back then)

Something that keeps happening even until pro rank: Players want to win round one for last say but can't catch up within one card. I pass, they have five cards in hand and just play two of them, probably thinking they get them back when they dry pass anyway. Too bad you only get six cards in total until round three, now they're a card down AND don't have last say :p

This happened a long time ago: I played against some super weak off-meta deck and i crushed him in R1, i passed first when he was already 1 card down and he needed at least 2 or 3 cards to take the round. I assumed he would just give me R1, so i Alt+Tab-ed, did other stuff and in R2 i dry-passed. Turned out he went 3 cards down to take R1 :facepalm:

In most situations, like the one you mentioned, you can discard a card by clicking it, then clicking on the graveyard to discard it instead of playing it, its an option that really should be taught in the tutorials (i dont think it teaches that, at least it didnt back then)
Thank you so much for mentioning this. I've lost at least one Ranked game when I accidentally discarded a card, not even understanding that the mechanic exists; I thought it was just another glitch. Admittedly, the option to discard cards should be in the game, but you are definitely right in saying that this should really be shown in the tutorials.

Mi_V

Forum regular
1. I locked enemy defender card ....
2. I used my leader ability then igni
3. I put Vissegerd on range line as the last card
4. I play Shupe card but having double units in my deck ... the opponent taunt and laugh his ass off, instant forfeit.

Scorched my own units, left myself with cards that are only spells with no targets, eased up after round one to get hammered in round three, played my leader ability in the last round so it didn't fire and boost a unit or have a card to affect, not kept a removal card for Damien, forget which round I'm playing, forfeit because I think the opponent is too good and then they play their final round of cards and I think "Oh shht", selecting the wrong card, not understanding how leaving the timer runs out chooses which card to burn and having it take the one I wanted (I had no idea about that graveyard trick until just now), deciding to try a new strategy of 'ignore the card that keeps damaging your units' because it doesn't do much, relying too much on RNG and hope i.e. Shuuuuuupe!, forgetting I had a Peller to take out the opponent's defender.

Shall I go on ... :p

I don't know why but it's a common thing for me to forget changes done to Geralt Igni. In open beta for at least 3 games I was trying to burn temerian infantrymen with 21 strength total when Igni could only burn something when row reached 25 strength; and 2 months ago (if I am not mistaken) when Igni was given a deploy "destroy unit(s) with highest power if there is 35 strength total" I played Calanthe with shields and charges (Igni was added after some reconstruction of the deck) and during a match against Svalblod opponent and I built up a row full of 6 strength units (and some with 4); then opponent blocked it with 12 strength bear; I had some charges on spellweavers but as my turn with Igni came I COMPLETELY forgot about the change and lost by 1 or 2 points; right after the match I remembered it and was almost screaming "I would've won! Why do I keep forgetting about changes to Igni?!".

I was playing a swarm deck. I thought I could easily win round 3 so I dry passed on round 2 to go for a long round. As soon as the round started I realized that I didn't have enough board space to play all of my units and should have bled on round 2 xD

DRK3

Forum veteran
I have one more fail by an opponent to share, one that happened to me recently, but i've had several opponents doing this in the past:

So, Double Cross is quite popular in this seasonal mode, but i guess most of its users arent well-versed in it, being more used to imperial formation or tactical decision... why?
In those leader abilities, its typical to play Damien as the second to last card, hoping the opponent no longer has removal left... Well, doing that with doublecross when you have last say is... some next-level genius!

Doublecross lets you play a card from your opponent's hand, how the hell are you gonna use it last turn when i have no cards left and have already passed? :coolstory:

Once the behavior of my opponent was co interesting that I made screens of it: Nilfgaard player first steal Draug from my Deck with Ofir Merchant somehow, and than he started to playing it in final round. I set up his all units in these row to strength 4 with vissegerd, and than put Sabrina in his row to block more revenants creation. He didn't put attention to clearly setting up his units to equal power for igni, and than... having last preparations in hand instead of boosting one of revenants to avoid huge igni on them he boosted Sabrina to strengh 4 perfectly for another igni target :D of course I thanked him and blasted almost everything on his table thanks to that. The lesson was: never neglect situation if sameone is setting up Your units to same power, always assume rather scortch or igni than a bluff
Post automatically merged:

I was playing a swarm deck. I thought I could easily win round 3 so I dry passed on round 2 to go for a long round. As soon as the round started I realized that I didn't have enough board space to play all of my units and should have bled on round 2 xD

That is a good one! Ironically bad luck in that case was little control from opponent side also :)

4. I play Shupe card but having double units in my deck ... the opponent taunt and laugh his ass off, instant forfeit.

Lol I did all of them in My "career" also, especially locking opponents defenders I think was very popular after defenders introduction even among Pro-rank prayers :D

Lol I did all of them in My "career" also, especially locking opponents defenders I think was very popular after defenders introduction even among pros :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-15-16-54-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-06-15-16-54-20.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_2020-06-15-17-02-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-06-15-17-02-28.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
You may not like certain deck's popularity but I have always believed that no matter how strong a deck you play, if you don't know how to play it properly you will lose. I will give two examples below.

I played Woodland Spirit deck (yes, I still call most abilities by the name of their leaders, it's more convenient for me) that focuses on getting as many beasts for Morvudd as possible against Morvran double ball; lost on even (not that it mattered - I don't think I would win this match even going second) which meant double last say for opponent; at one point I almost ran out of space on my side of the board but joust into cyclop saved me and I played Morvudd for 29-30 points with leader's boost; I was waiting to lose since I was certain there is no way to win (1 chapter left to be activated, already poisoned 7 strength harpy plus leader for 13); however, my opponent found a way - he tried to play Roderick on a full row, which resulted in discard; he took 14 strength Morvudd with Yennifer invocation, but was short of 2-4 points for a win. I was facepalming after Roderick play and after Yen-invo I was thinking: "Why in the world would you play it like that?!"

This match was also beasts vs double ball, but I played Bran (mostly to finish the daily quest "Play 40 artifacts" faster - this is the only deck of mine that can find 2 artifacts consistently). I lost on even this game as well but my opponent played Assire in R2 and I responded with Svalblod's totem (otherwise I wouldn't have enough space in R3); opponent passed which meant just one turn over me. We both played our scenarios but at a different time - I decided: "OK, if he has bomb heaver, so be it - I will be able to fill more beasts in that case"; he didn't have heaver and my space was growing short real fast; opponent plays his scenario, Roderick next turn and I don't know why but for 3-4 turns (!!) he didn't give second poison to my unit and I played spring equinox (hope I wrote it correctly); then (unexpectedly) came Isbel which I couldn't counter because it is fully proactive deck; after 1 or 2 turns he uses Yen-invo on Roderick (honestly I still can't understand why would he do that; only one conclusion comes to mind - he didn't have ANY aristocrats in hand thus couldn't trigger second chapter of the Ball, although I don't really believe in this myself) and he gives me my last card - Crow clan druid. There was one place left, I played druid and was left with a card in hand that does nothing if opponent won't kill something for me; and after that comes the pass and yet again I was caught off-guard. After wins like this I usually ask myself a rhetoric question: "Why did I won? I wasn't supposed to win with this deck!"

My favorite was really a comedy of errors on both sides. I was playing my “anti-Nilfgaard” Arachas Swarm deck (basic idea is to spawn tons of worthless junk not worth poisoning locking or stealing, then boosting it with Bone Talisman), my opponent played a Death’s Shadow deck with focus on eating Ruehin to spawn Kikimore Warriors.

First round, I was on blue coin, my opponent played well, building a double digit lead by the time we both had 6 cards left. I planned to use a leader charge creating a pair of adjacent Drones for Endrega Warrior. But the Drone went to the wrong spot and there wasn’t space on the line to use another, so I lost a point. With four cards, I was still behind, but computed a play that would allow me to take the lead if I depleted my leader charges. Figuring this deck fills all rows on a long round anyway, I preferred that to losing on even. But I had miscounted — the charges would only tie. So I saved my charges figuring I would have to go down two cards to four. But my opponent played something junky, allowing me to take the lead with my next card using no leader charges. To my surprise, my opponent passed; allowing a dry pass into an eight card final round.

The deciding error came early in this round when my opponent used an Operator to spawn his Kikimore Warrior, giving me one as well. I used my one elimination card to destroy his copy. Then my copy feasted on drones (and later cows) while he took another 2 rounds to set up the remaining copy in his hand.

Will never forget a match I had against monsters. Opponent had last say and I think about any card would have beat me. He plays his last card, I see a burning vfx and think ok that's it but then I get the victory screen and I'm like "wth, how did I win, did he forfeit?" But no, his last card was Yghern and I have to laugh even now still. Hah, golden, I wish I had a video of this.

Operator to spawn his Kikimore Warrior, giving me one as well.
I once played Blue Stripes and my opponent also, and he uses operator to create one for me and geave me nice gift (it was before adalia was introduced into the game) :)

Will never forget a match I had against monsters. Opponent had last say and I think about any card would have beat me. He plays his last card, I see a burning vfx and think ok that's it but then I get the victory screen and I'm like "wth, how did I win, did he forfeit?" But no, his last card was Yghern and I have to laugh even now still. Hah, golden, I wish I had a video of this.

Heah, It's happens also often if Yghren is summoned (for example with activating deathwish of Goliat)

DRK3

Forum veteran
My favorite was really a comedy of errors on both sides. I was playing my “anti-Nilfgaard” Arachas Swarm deck (basic idea is to spawn tons of worthless junk not worth poisoning locking or stealing, then boosting it with Bone Talisman), my opponent played a Death’s Shadow deck with focus on eating Ruehin to spawn Kikimore Warriors.

First round, I was on blue coin, my opponent played well, building a double digit lead by the time we both had 6 cards left. I planned to use a leader charge creating a pair of adjacent Drones for Endrega Warrior. But the Drone went to the wrong spot and there wasn’t space on the line to use another, so I lost a point. With four cards, I was still behind, but computed a play that would allow me to take the lead if I depleted my leader charges. Figuring this deck fills all rows on a long round anyway, I preferred that to losing on even. But I had miscounted — the charges would only tie. So I saved my charges figuring I would have to go down two cards to four. But my opponent played something junky, allowing me to take the lead with my next card using no leader charges. To my surprise, my opponent passed; allowing a dry pass into an eight card final round.

The deciding error came early in this round when my opponent used an Operator to spawn his Kikimore Warrior, giving me one as well. I used my one elimination card to destroy his copy. Then my copy feasted on drones (and later cows) while he took another 2 rounds to set up the remaining copy in his hand.

Operator is a really interesting card, but you have to be careful with it, and ideally have a backup bronze target for it on your deck. Why? Sometimes, like in the match you described, in a mirror match the opponent might capitalize on the card you're giving him as much as you do.

For example i like to use Operator on a SK Beasts deck, and i use it on savage bear, to get 3/4 charges later on, but if im facing another SK that is also using savage bear, i rather use it on the 3pt crows or something else so it doesnt help my opponent.

Not sure it was a mistake per se, but I played a decoy on Vessemir and was forced to play Letho Kingslayer into a board only containing my opponent's Alba armoured cavalry.

I guess the mistake was not prepping the top card.

But I've done the opposite too, put a powerful card on top, forgot I'd done it saving it for the next round, then a few more cards in played decoy...doh!

Top Bottom