Costly, painfull, popular - examples of mistakes made by players

+
Some Blaze of Glory player was so far behind at my pass that they used BoG in R1. Only problem was, my tallest unit that did not have Shield (Nova) or immunity to damage (Olgierd: Immortal) was a mere 5 and I was ahead by triple that.

So what does the opponent do with BoG? Discards Jutta and targets Olgierd, of course. And then forfeits. :D

I didn't expect to see the infamous Lippy round 1 range row play on rank 2 :ROFLMAO:

1.jpg

Today I decided to play a bit longer than usual to get at least one of the seasonal quests done (namely lock 30 units). I chose Imprisonement (former Emhyr var Emreis) witchers for the task at hand. I was matched against Dijkstra and we went the deep end (played until I had 3 cards left). The most interesting stuff happened on my last turn which started the chain of all the possible missplays (mostly from my opponent, though).
Here's the situation - I played Ivar on his 11 strength safecraker, but forgot to place him on the same row as Berengar, which lead to his death; after that my opponent plays Igni that doesn't work because I had 19 max on a row; I pass and then he plays bloody good fun on one of the Imperas, forgetting he had 8 coins in purse. Then opponent plays dip in the Pontar which ties our score; he doesn't take it and plays Jaques the miraculous child and shame concedes right after it.
Moral of the story - sometimes even missplays can save your ass (although this scenario was in large part because of opponents' mistakes).

DRK3

Forum veteran
I'll share one mistake i witnessed yesterday. Unlike most mistakes in this thread, its not a stupid, obvious mistake, but its a situation that can instructional and serves as a lesson:

My opponent was Viy. I was playing dwarves, im not a fan but i know how to play em.
I have Yrden in this deck (like many dwarf players do), so my goal is to win R1 without using it, so i commit a lot of pointslam.
My opponent takes too long to set up his thrive and consumes for Viy. I was holding back my Brouver until this point, as soon as i saw Viy i played Brouver, because we all know Viy rarely pack any form of removal.

I was quite ahead, so i immediately passed. The mistake of my opponent was he was only looking at the current points, completely ignored the huge boosts Brouver was getting me (8pts per turn). He eventually gives up, so i win R1 AND have card advantage.

Then i went for the 2-0, although this was a mistake - it succeeded, i did the 2-0, but i had even higher chances of winning if i didnt push and went to a longer R3 with 2 cards up and Yrden and artefact compression in hand.

Anyway, the main lesson here is that one of the main aspects that separates a bad player from a decent one is the ability to plan ahead, dont just look at the current state of the round, take consideration of the passive effects, and dont play mindlessly - if you're on R1 and you're getting close to the essential 4-card mark, and you're too far behind, you risk going a card down even if you're on red coin, if your opponent passes.

Another example i did yesterday, same deck, but vs Arachas - we were at 5 cards, i was quite ahead, i did the math, the biggest play he could possible make in 1 card is a Triss TK+bone talisman, if he used leader to fill board that plays for a max of 22 pts, that wasnt enough, so i passed. He obviously didnt do the math, tried (but with bone talisman, no triss TK), failed and forfeited.

I just played someone in seasonal mode with dual casting. I had one creature on the board. My opponent played a bomb that does 4 damage and banishes unit. The first spell pulled his Madoc, and with the second he had to blast and banish his own Madoc since I did not have any other creatures on the board.

He quitted right after the first move in the game. :coolstory:

i am surprised noone mentioned the mistake that i still make from time to time even after more than 5500 h of playing:

Being the player to start, using Matta Huu'ri in first round, when the other player has still 10 chards in hand.
I could always slap myself, whenever that happens to me. :)

Last edited:
Oh boy just played against Viy player on "Pro" rank after he played a Slyzard on a row with 2 endrega Larvas I played the no Boosts Dire Bear on the opposite row and he seriously consumed (he still had both OH Charges left) Viy 3 times with that Slyzard:facepalm:, I mean I wouldn't even say anything if it happened 1 time (not paying attention to the Board) but after the second time you should probably start to wonder why the heck Slyzards power doesn't change :giveup:.

Last edited:
Playing a discard SK deck with Snowdrop and Birna Bran, sometimes I get confused with discarding and shuffling cards back into the deck. Has resulted in either putting the wrong cards into my graveyard or back into the deck without wanting to. :cry::cry:

Playing a discard SK deck with Snowdrop and Birna Bran, sometimes I get confused with discarding and shuffling cards back into the deck. Has resulted in either putting the wrong cards into my graveyard or back into the deck without wanting to. :cry::cry:
It would be nice if there were some way in the interface of seeing what you were selecting cards for. I have a similar problem when I mix dandelion and traveling merchant. For some choices there is a message, but not for all.

My favorite and most painful error that I ceep doing from time to time is drypassing round 2. I check my hand, my deck if there is a caryover or a thinning option left or something I want to get rid off, before going into Round 3. No? okay i can savely pass.

"You lost"

Did I mention that my opponent won Round one and drypassed ?

My favorite and most painful error that I ceep doing from time to time is drypassing round 2. I check my hand, my deck if there is a caryover or a thinning option left or something I want to get rid off, before going into Round 3. No? okay i can savely pass.

"You lost"

Did I mention that my opponent won Round one and drypassed ?
Curiously, someone did exactly that against me: I won Round 1 and was considering whether I should push for a bleed or not. I had a version of NR swarm and I figured "nah, I'm good for a long Round 3" and drypassed...and so did my opponent. I said "huh?" out loud. Quite unexpected.

Oh boy just played against Viy player on "Pro" rank after he played a Slyzard on a row with 2 endrega Larvas I played the no Boosts Dire Bear on the opposite row and he seriously consumed (he still had both OH Charges left) Viy 3 times with that Slyzard:facepalm:, I mean I wouldn't even say anything if it happened 1 time (not paying attention to the Board) but after the second time you should probably start to wonder why the heck Slyzards power doesn't change :giveup:.
This will still grow the Viy and create carryover for later rounds. Not the smartest way but if he had no other consumer in hand could still be the right move. (Or am I mistaken?)

Playing SK earlier today: I won the first round and was trying to bleed my opponent in R2. He had two cards remaining to my one and was leading by 20 points. Thinking I had no reach, he "hero passed" to hold onto a couple of critical cards for R3. Sadly, Restore onto a 1 point Jutta turned it into a 23 point Jutta and a 2:0 win. Never "hero pass", folks - you never know what unusual combo your opponent may be holding onto. :p

I've been using Jutta, Hym, and Restore as a combo lately, often with a few healing units to try to get Jutta back to 11. But Jutta / Restore work well on their own if you're facing random single point damage pings from bleed or row effects that can knock her down to 1 or 2 before using Restore.

EDIT - Just beware of Gael if you're facing vampires. I made that mistake myself today...

Last edited:
Playing SK earlier today: I won the first round and was trying to bleed my opponent in R2. He had two cards remaining to my one and was leading by 20 points. Thinking I had no reach, he "hero passed" to hold onto a couple of critical cards for R3. Sadly, Restore onto a 1 point Jutta turned it into a 23 point Jutta and a 2:0 win. Never "hero pass", folks - you never know what unusual combo your opponent may be holding onto. :p

I've been using Jutta, Hym, and Restore as a combo lately, often with a few healing units to try to get Jutta back to 11. But Jutta / Restore work well on their own if you're facing random single point damage pings from bleed or row effects.

EDIT - Just beware of Gael if you're facing vampires. I made that mistake myself today...
A 1 point Jutta or any unit with a large base power in SK is always suspect. :p

Well Last seasonal i was playing with viy in ranked (Yes, when i face too much viy i start to play it too).

My opponent was using a pirate cove.

Last round, i was with 3 cards and He was with 4.

My 3 cards were barghest!m, viy and oneiro and without leader charge.

I thought, ok, i need to consume viy with barghest, but He problably is holding a pair os poisons and something to kill my barghest.

So, in m mind, i could t start with barghest. Since He was a devotion deck i decide to put viy and than barghest (so i avoid poisons and damage).

Sudenly i used viy my opponent starts with tounts "look this, look that" and use a moreelse tô kill my viy.

What He didnt realyzed viy its a deathwish unit, so it backs to my deck, i use oneiro tô get him even stronger and win The game

Top Bottom