Could CDPR be developing third-person mode for Cyberpunk 2077?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except nothing what you say makes any sense. Programmers break the game constantly. This is why you have QA testers. You can't just wave your hand and dismiss what modders have done. I'd even say modders are more careful considering their REP within the community. They can't afford to break someone's game with some shitty mod. I've yet to find a single mod that broke or made the game worse. I can think of numerous times this happened with a CDPR official patch before it was later fixed or not in a hotfix. The main difference with CDPR and modders is simple. They're 100% dedicated individuals and CDPR is ran by big corpo committees thinking about the bottom line not the player.

I'm sorry but this is just wrong. Mods can and do break games all the time, CP2077 is no exception to this, sure there are a lot of great mods out there and sure many of them work fine most of the time. But some of them are broken and don't work as intended and others do break the game sometimes.

Plus, my point at least (I won't speak for anyone else) is modders get love for how close to perfect their mod is, The "Less broken" the more love, "wow this is really good for a mod" is the mentality. ANY developer not just CDPR, if they add a new feature, or mode or content and it's broken, people rage. I mean CDPR basically told us the game wasn't ready, so they delayed it and people made death threats, so they released a still unfinished game. The fact is people treat modders and companies very different. You yourself even said the difference is one is dedicated and the others are corpo. That alone is unfair many Developers are very committed and want to make the best product possible, sure sometimes publishers get in the way of that (I'm looking at you WB)

And just to add my own personal perspective some of you know I was a PS5 player (still am I guess) but recently got the PC version on sale to check out all the hype with the mods, and yeah, they are cool. But TPP specifically is broken. I Installed it and it broke my games camera and I literally had to find a different users guide on how to mod the mod. it was a simple name change but still it was broken, and also the 360 camera does not always work as intended so you are often stuck looking at your back.

Point is it's a cool mod, people love it, I like it, no disrespect to the person who made it out of thin air, that's impressive, but if CDPR put out something that didn't work as intended right away we would not be as forgiving.

Except nothing what you say makes any sense. Programmers break the game constantly. This is why you have QA testers. You can't just wave your hand and dismiss what modders have done. I'd even say modders are more careful considering their REP within the community. They can't afford to break someone's game with some shitty mod. I've yet to find a single mod that broke or made the game worse. I can think of numerous times this happened with a CDPR official patch before it was later fixed or not in a hotfix. The main difference with CDPR and modders is simple. They're 100% dedicated individuals and CDPR is ran by big corpo committees thinking about the bottom line not the player.

I'm sorry but this is just wrong. Mods can and do break games all the time, CP2077 is no exception to this, sure there are a lot of great mods out there and sure many of them work fine most of the time. But some of them are broken and don't work as intended and others do break the game sometimes.

Plus, my point at least (I won't speak for anyone else) is modders get love for how close to perfect their mod is, The "Less broken" the more love, "wow this is really good for a mod" is the mentality. ANY developer not just CDPR, if they add a new feature, or mode or content and it's broken, people rage. I mean CDPR basically told us the game wasn't ready, so they delayed it and people made death threats, so they released a still unfinished game. The fact is people treat modders and companies very different. You yourself even said the difference is one is dedicated and the others are corpo. That alone is unfair many Developers are very committed and want to make the best product possible, sure sometimes publishers get in the way of that (I'm looking at you WB)

And just to add my own personal perspective some of you know I was a PS5 player (still am I guess) but recently got the PC version on sale to check out all the hype with the mods, and yeah, they are cool. But TPP specifically is broken. I Installed it and it broke my games camera and I literally had to find a different users guide on how to mod the mod. it was a simple name change but still it was broken, and also the 360 camera does not always work as intended so you are often stuck looking at your back.

Point is it's a cool mod, people love it, I like it, no disrespect to the person who made it out of thin air, that's impressive, but if CDPR put out something that didn't work as intended right away we would not be as forgiving.

Firstly, let's everyone cool way, way, waaay off. Cooler. More. Colder, please. Bit more.

There we go. (Waves off the marshmallow snipers on the catwalks above.)

Building a game is building a fully-furnished house -- from breaking the earth to handing over the keys to the owner. It requires laying foundations, ensuring the skeleton framing is sturdy and lode bearing where it needs to be. It's taking accurate measurements for every step. It's all of the internal work on the walls, the electric, water pipes, drainage and sewage, a/c ducts, gas lines, etc. It's everything involving the landscaping to laying the driveway and sidewalks. It's insulating the walls, putting on the roof, and painting the entire place, inside and out. It's shopping for and installing all of the appliances, counter-tops, sinks, toilets, cupboards, beds, couches, desks, tables, and chairs. It's hanging the clocks on the walls and putting the lightbulbs in the lamps. It's everything.

A simple mod would be rearranging the living room furniture.

A more intensive mod might remodel the kitchen. Pretty intense job...but let's not start comparing it to building a whole house from the foundation up.

A lot of people have wildly inflated views of what's involved in modding. Yes, if I was free to use only my spare time to work on something of interest to me, and I didn't have any deadline or any other responsibilities...if I had no requirements to adhere to for QA purposes...and if I had no overhead or time restrictions or deadlines...I'm pretty sure I could polish up that one, tiny thing really nicely. Exactly as I happened to want, actually. And if anyone disagreed, they just wouldn't install my mod. Life would be blissfully listless!

Let anyone claiming that modding is the same thing as professional development go try it out first. You don't need hegemonic overlords screaming for profits on the corporate end to wind up with significant issues in a game half this size and scale. Even when you have wonderful management and people working their tails off for years, things will go wrong.

And even when everything is working perfectly, as designed, and all polished up...there will still be people ranting about it because they simply don't like it.

Hey just adding, I did not mean to come off aggressive, or frustrated in that last post, maybe to emphasize that I "Strongly Disagree" but not to come of aggressive or as a personal attack towards anyone.

Firstly, let's everyone cool way, way, waaay off. Cooler. More. Colder, please. Bit more.

There we go. (Waves off the marshmallow snipers on the catwalks above.)

Building a game is building a fully-furnished house -- from breaking the earth to handing over the keys to the owner. It requires laying foundations, ensuring the skeleton framing is sturdy and lode bearing where it needs to be. It's taking accurate measurements for every step. It's all of the internal work on the walls, the electric, water pipes, drainage and sewage, a/c ducts, gas lines, etc. It's everything involving the landscaping to laying the driveway and sidewalks. It's insulating the walls, putting on the roof, and painting the entire place, inside and out. It's shopping for and installing all of the appliances, counter-tops, sinks, toilets, cupboards, beds, couches, desks, tables, and chairs. It's hanging the clocks on the walls and putting the lightbulbs in the lamps. It's everything.

A simple mod would be rearranging the living room furniture.

A more intensive mod might remodel the kitchen. Pretty intense job...but let's not start comparing it to building a whole house from the foundation up.

A lot of people have wildly inflated views of what's involved in modding. Yes, if I was free to use only my spare time to work on something of interest to me, and I didn't have any deadline or any other responsibilities...if I had no requirements to adhere to for QA purposes...and if I had no overhead or time restrictions or deadlines...I'm pretty sure I could polish up that one, tiny thing really nicely. Exactly as I happened to want, actually. And if anyone disagreed, they just wouldn't install my mod. Life would be blissfully listless!

Let anyone claiming that modding is the same thing as professional development go try it out first. You don't need hegemonic overlords screaming for profits on the corporate end to wind up with significant issues in a game half this size and scale. Even when you have wonderful management and people working their tails off for years, things will go wrong.

And even when everything is working perfectly, as designed, and all polished up...there will still be people ranting about it because they simply don't like it.

While I 100% agree with everything you've just said.

The reverse is true too. People just, generally, don't understand what modding is. One way or the other.

What is absolutely certain is that modders themselves are just grateful for what CDPR has created and are fully aware their work wouldn't be possible without CDPR's. They want none of this "hero" crap or any of the comparisons.

Last edited:
Actually, I'd like to add these modders are modifying the game in incredible ways and they don't even have a proper mod tools like Bethesda offers their modding community. I mean CDPR in year and a half has yet to fix the broken ragdoll physics, yet one modder has already done this. And you're telling me a whole team over at CDPR can't fix this, yet one SINGLE modder did? Come on man! lol.

Again, I'm not saying modders don't/can't do good work, and i'm not saying in the past games that were broken haven't been "fixed" by mods, Fallout New Vegas is a famous example many say the base version on PC is basically unplayable compared to the fixes the modding community brought. The modding community for this game and others is great, and they do good work, usually for free on their own time. and it's great.

I'm simply saying, that a proper TPP camera would take a ton of work, and a bunch of new animations so it actually looks cool and fun, so IF it's coming, they definitely want to get it right before they show it, they literally cannot afford to launch it in a bad state. And comparing it to the mod is unfair as someone who has now actually used the mod the mod is super temperamental if not sometimes out right broken. They are not the same.

And honestly, it's probably not a "Whole team of people" usually a project like that is one or two dedicated camera/animation people (sometimes more) working on that new feature, while other people work on other content/story/items/characters/etc.... a lot of work goes into expansions new modes new features and so on.

Modding is cool, and some mods are amazing, but they are not a 1 to 1 comparison.

I don't think TPP is coming now, probably they are now just gathering resources for Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk 2. Since TPP was most requested feature now, it will definitely appear in their future games, especially Cyberpunk.

TPP mod is good but it cannot replace a perfect native TPP mode like FO4.

I don't think TPP is coming now, probably they are now just gathering resources for Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk 2. Since TPP was most requested feature now, it will definitely appear in their future games, especially Cyberpunk.

TPP mod is good but it cannot replace a perfect native TPP mode like FO4.

Witcher 4 and Cyberpunk 2 are years away. It's really a skeleton crew on those projects. The bulk of the team is working on the expansion. While I agree we won't get 3rd person, but that's due to artist choice. It's not that they can't do it.

but look at Skyrim and red dead redemption 2. it worked great regardless what options of cameras perspective you wanted to play with.

but look at Skyrim and red dead redemption 2. it worked great regardless what options of cameras perspective you wanted to play with.

Great is somewhat debatable.

Don't get me wrong. It worked but I wouldn't call it great. In both games, it seemed clear that one perspective received less attention than the other.

Third person worked for traversal and seeing your character in Skyrim. I found it extremely wonky for combat without extensively modding it though.

First person was definitely an after thought in RDR2, added because it made a splash when they added it to GTA5. It felt even more sluggish than third person which already felt very sluggish.

I would've like to see V more but CDPR stuck with their artistic vision and I can't say the final product isn't impressive. Their FPP works great. IMO anyway.

First person was definitely an after thought in RDR2, added because it made a splash when they added it to GTA5. It felt even more sluggish than third person which already felt very sluggish.
Yep it is debatable...
I'm a player who really prefer to play in "first person", but I can't play in first person in Rockstar games (I only use it to loot in RDR2).
And in Skyrim, I can't say, I never tried third person (the only time that the view go in third person it's when I don't touch the pad for long enough^^). But I played Skyrim/Fallout after Cyberpunk and the first person seem a little bit "weird" (seem like a "floating" camera).

Yep it is debatable...
I'm a player who really prefer to play in "first person", but I can't play in first person in Rockstar games (I only use it to loot in RDR2).
And in Skyrim, I can't say, I never tried third person (the only time that the view go in third person it's when I don't touch the pad for long enough^^). But I played Skyrim/Fallout after Cyberpunk and the first person seem a little bit "weird" (seem like a "floating" camera).
For me its the other way around ^^ I get nausious and feel weird if i play cp2077 for long enough. Its not the constant movement of V, i think its the FOV and the POV that feels odd for me since im not used too it. I feel locked in with horseblinders on kinda. Skyrim feels better for me but its not as advanced as cp2077 i agree unless you use some first person view mods for it so you see yourself.

For me its the other way around ^^ I get nausious and feel weird if i play cp2077 for long enough. Its not the constant movement of V, i think its the FOV and the POV that feels odd for me since im not used too it. I feel locked in with horseblinders on kinda. Skyrim feels better for me but its not as advanced as cp2077 i agree unless you use some first person view mods for it so you see yourself.
I imagine it's a question of habit or just "personal feeling". I can play Cyberpunk as long as I want without any problem (or KCD which has a "more advanced" first person view). A little bit like the VR, I have a buddy that can't stand it at all... He tried Subnautica in VR and he was sick in no time. My main "issue" with third person view it's because generally the character is in front of what I have to look. For example, in Tomb Raider, most of time, Lara spoils my view and I have to move the camera on sides to look in front of me. Like when she crawls or crouched in tight places, we have a good view on... her butt... Good view indeed, but that's annoying anyway...

I imagine it's a question of habit or just "personal feeling". I can play Cyberpunk as long as I want without any problem (or KCD which has a "more advanced" first person view). A little bit like the VR, I have a buddy that can't stand it at all... He tried Subnautica in VR and he was sick in no time. My main "issue" with third person view it's because generally the character is in front of what I have to look. For example, in Tomb Raider, most of time, Lara spoils my view and I have to move the camera on sides to look in front of me. Like when she crawls or crouched in tight places, we have a good view on... her butt... Good view indeed, but that's annoying anyway...
One of the reasons i prefer 3 person is the increased FOV. Feels much more natural too me then pov but with low fov. Sadly games cant really do proper fov since it would require some very large monitor with extreme curvature ^^ Vr might be able too havet tested at all. KDC works for me oddly enough, its just something with cp2077. first time it has happend for me that it feels odd in fpp

I believe there was a thread about the exact same topic posted a very long while ago and...
Those who really hope about third person view maybe have to realize that is a first person view game and only intended to be played in first person (in the same way as TW3 is intended to be played in third person view...)
At least, modders maybe can do the job but I don't believe that CDPR will add any "official" third person view in the game, never :)
I dont see why not. If Capcom can add a third person view for RE Village, a game made in 1st person style, I don't see why it can't be done for Cyberpunk.

Yeah, a lot of developers still have plenty of trouble making a decent third person camera with good angles that also feels weighty.

I also suspect the butt shots from games like Tomb Raider are absolutely done on purpose for the male gaze. It's a nicely rendered butt, I'll give 'em that but I'd rather have a decent camera in my games than shots of a 3d rendered butt. I'll look at my wife's if I want to see a nice butt.

Kinda like Nier: Automata having an achievement for looking under 2B's skirt while climbing ladders.

I dont see why not. If Capcom can add a third person view for RE Village, a game made in 1st person style, I don't see why it can't be done for Cyberpunk.

I'm pretty certain @LeKill3rFou isn't implying that it can't be done. Just that it most likely will never happen because CDPR made a choice on how to present their game. TPP would definitely take away from a lot of scenes unless they are reworked from the ground up. Something Capcom isn't doing with RE: Village. If you haven't, take a look at the released promo material. Some of the scenes have definitely lost some of their impact.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about the third person camera in RE: Village, I've been a fan of RE since the very first game and I see Capcom's announcement of a third person camera as bringing the game closer to it's roots. I like it but I don't dislike the FPP of RE7 and 8. It definitely was a different experience. I just wish Village had been more horror focused, maximize that perspective.

Yep, I didn't say it couldn't be done.
But for me, it couldn't be done without a huge/insane amount of work (the scene in Dex car wouldn't work without properly rework it for a dedicated third person view). So it's a guess, I don't have any infos, but it would require too much work at this point...

It's just my opinion, either it's entirely in third person (like in TW3), either it's entirely in first person (like in Cyberpunk). Mixing both always seem so weird to me... Like in KCD, they made a great first person view gameplay, then switch to an awkward third person view during dialogues/cinematics. Disappointing... :(
One of the reasons i prefer 3 person is the increased FOV. Feels much more natural too me then pov but with low fov. Sadly games cant really do proper fov since it would require some very large monitor with extreme curvature ^^ Vr might be able too havet tested at all. KDC works for me oddly enough, its just something with cp2077. first time it has happend for me that it feels odd in fpp
Yep strange, I played Prey recently and FOV seem quite similar to Cyberpunk (I didn't touch any settings. I even don't know if there is any settings for FOV^^)

Guest 3847602

But for me, it couldn't be done without a huge/insane amount of work (the scene in Dex car wouldn't work without properly rework it for a dedicated third person view). So it's a guess, I don't have any infos, but it would require too much work at this point...
Scene like this one would lose 99% of its impact if it was done in 3rd person:

And there are many, many other that are clearly designed for FPP and nothing else.

Yep, I didn't say it couldn't be done.
And there are many, many other that are clearly designed for FPP and nothing else.
While i do agree it would be hard too do that, i would probably just do a 3 person explore camera and avoid the huge workload. Im guessing they wont do a 3 person at all but that would be the way i did it, convo would auto go into 1 person and so on. heck i would be happy with relfections of V ingame ^^

Scene like this one would lose 99% of its impact if it was done in 3rd person:

While I do agree that scenes like this one and some others would not work in third-person, other scenes, like the one in Vik's office where V learns about what the relic is doing to them, would have been ten times more impactful if we had been able to see their face during. You can hear the fear and devastation in their voice, but it would have been far more heart-wrenching to have seen them emoting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom