Could CDPR be developing third-person mode for Cyberpunk 2077?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered, from a story point of view, why are the endings in 3rd person?
If I have to guess and take @northwold point :)
Because it's no longer about :
"a character's internal debate about what consciousness is *featuring a major character who exists only inside their head*"
But just about :
"V leaving Night City with the Aldecaldos, V starting to do the heist of the century, V becoming an engram, V returning on earth or Johnny leaving Night City alone"
In short, the end of the story. Besides, I don't think it's a coincidence, if this "story" begins in front of a mirror :)

Last edited:
I played Crysis 2 in First-person, until I found a console-command on the Steam-forum that switched it to 3rd-person. It can't be difficult to do, because of the 3D-modelling enviroment any game uses. Crysis 2 didn't gave you the option, but silently in the background, it was there. I'd love the game thus the more if they'd give me that option!

I played Crysis 2 in First-person, until I found a console-command on the Steam-forum that switched it to 3rd-person. It can't be difficult to do, because of the 3D-modelling enviroment any game uses. Crysis 2 didn't gave you the option, but silently in the background, it was there. I'd love the game thus the more if they'd give me that option!
if I remember the shadows of the char at release and the fact that the 3rd person mod doesn't work that well up until now - that it isn't that easy like you think...

There is a TPP mod for CP2077, it IS easy to console command or mod the camera to TPP, the HARD part is making animations, shadows, etc... that aren't broken when the camera switches. To be fair, "Hard" might be the wrong word as a good animator and camera dev can do it, it's more like time consuming, IF they are going to do it, and that is a BIG IF, it can't look cheap or rushed or forced.

Plus as I've said before, this was a creative decision not a tech based one, they may very well just choose to stick to that vision of FPP as originally intended. I'd like proper TPP so you can see "Your V" outside of photo mode and the mirror. But I also don't think it's a must have feature.

It's most likely multiplayer-related.
1. Digital Scapes (now CDPR Vancouver) was working on multiplayer component for several other games. Can't remember which ones (I think Company of Heroes 2 was among them)
2. Other job offers at CDPR Vancouver were indicating that they'll remain multiplayer studio

I hope they do their multiplayer on unreal 5.

Guest 4654697

I'm not sure if this game would be good in third person, although I've played The Witcher 3, and playing such a large and immersive open world in third person isn't that bad. I think the ideal for games with such large, immersive maps is first person, precisely for a greater sense of immersion.

Making the comparison with GTAV, as this game is quite similar conceptually, in GTAV I don't feel as much immersion as I do in this game. When I walk out of the buildings in that game I don't feel anything, here with the glare effect in the eyes and seeing all those giant buildings, the streets full of life... seeing all that in first person is wonderful, so I think in third person it wouldn't be the same.

Never been a fan of 3rd person, though I understand many players may have vertigo issues with first person. It certainly couldn't hurt to have both options (assuming still remaining single player as 3rd person would offer advantages in multiplayer).

Although i already said in certain situations throughout the game a third person would ve been
better, i wouldn t hold my breath for a official one. Mods is your best shot at this time, i think

I've always wondered, from a story point of view, why are the endings in 3rd person?
Some would say that it is a way/symbol of player relinquish V character story, as it is "the end." Others would say it's one of many things that CDPR didn't cut from development, as evidence with the gameplay demo had brief third person scene, to gave that cinematic effects. It was what I was expecting for the game will have for the story scenes before release, like maybe 70% FPP scenes & 30% TPP scenes.

I do often wonder what if some of the scenes in the games might actually looks better in third person camera/cinematic views, even if it's just a brief moments of character expressions/body languages, emphasis on the important characters in the main story or maybe even new scenes that do not involved V directly to tell a story between those characters. Maybe something like how Saburo interact with Hanako & Yorinobu in their private time, especially with how CDPR themselves limited their own usage of so called "braindance" feature. These kind of things would definitely give a bigger & more easier options to tell story in a much clear & precise ways.

But once again, in a few days, we are already approaching September, the chance of TPP feature for future updates is even more slimmer than ever.
Back to the mods again I guess, huehuehue...

View attachment 11299168
View attachment 11299171
Is CDPR developing third-person mode for Cyberpunk 2077?
Or is this ad for the next The Witcher?
The future will tell us.
But it doesn't hurt to speculate.
:rolleyes::)

They announced this by all means: '...a world where appearance is everything'... '... a world where appearance matters'...

...then they made a game where you can buy a lot of 'nice clothes', but you can't see yourself, it doesn't create any identification with the 'player' character.

I don't know who the game designer of Cyberpunk is, it doesn't matter to me, but Cyberpunk has no logic...Cyberpunk managed to sell an idea about 'appearances' where the player doesn't appear...except in mirrors and to do 'grimaces'... and even tried to sell the idea of 'greater immersion', pathetic! GTA V 2013 has 100 thousand players on Steam, simultaneously playing the game, Cyberpunk, does not reach 10 thousand...

Ridiculous!

This was simple to solve, it was enough to give two options, the player chooses the one to serve him. But that would take more development time...and everyone knows how Cyberpunk was 'released'...

It had nothing to do with 'to create more immersion or not', I don't believe that [...]...when you forcefully impose something against someone, you are not creating any immersion... the numbers prove it, Cyberpunk is a monumental disaster, a relatively good idea poorly developed...

Last edited by a moderator:
GTA V 2013 has 100 thousand players on Steam, simultaneously playing the game, Cyberpunk, does not reach 10 thousand...
What do you think, how many GTA V players are playing the single player campaign right now?
CP2077 doesn't have a huge MP mode like this game has. You can't compare player numbers between those two in any meaningful way.

It had nothing to do with 'to create more immersion or not', I don't believe that [...]...when you forcefully impose something against someone, you are not creating any immersion... the numbers prove it, Cyberpunk is a monumental disaster, a relatively good idea poorly developed...
That is called creative vision. And CDPR's was to exclusively use 1st person mode and they clearly communicated this pre release.

What do you think, how many GTA V players are playing the single player campaign right now?
CP2077 doesn't have a huge MP mode like this game has. You can't compare player numbers between those two in any meaningful way.

That is called creative vision. And CDPR's was to exclusively use 1st person mode and they clearly communicated this pre release.

More one reason to give this option to people.... and another option, a multiplayer mode.

;)

100k > 9k and MANY are playing the campaign right now, like...ME :sneaky:
Post automatically merged:

Its called 'creative vision' with ZERO criativity and does'n matter what they say or not about it, first view NEVER create a better identification between players and character in game as 3rd person create :) Again, 100k > 9K, this is the FACT! (and i try to understand, why 'cool cloths' if it is USELESS? Just BAD game design decisions...as every single decision in Cyberpunk...at this moment.

why 'cool cloths' if it is USELESS? Just BAD game design decisions...as every single decision in Cyberpunk...at this moment.
Why character creation if you can't see your character ?
But instead of what you seem to think, players spent over 6 millions hours in the character creator (from release to Jun 2021...) Suprising because you can't really see your character, isn't it ?
(source : Cyberpunk In Numbers)

First person is not your taste, that's fine. But it's definitely mine and I'm not alone. But not surprising that a game announced years before release as first person only was released obviously with only.... first person view... :)
(On a side note, GTA 5 in solo, after completing the quests, is as "dead" as Cyberpunk, there is nothing to do... It's like almost all the solo games which never stay at the top ranking of most played games very long after their release...)

Guest 3847602

Its called 'creative vision' with ZERO criativity and does'n matter what they say or not about it, first view NEVER create a better identification between players and character in game as 3rd person create
Even if this is true (it's not), why buy the game that is clearly marketed as FPP-only.
In what way is FPP "imposed" upon anyone? How is anyone "forced" to play the FPP-only game?

Its called 'creative vision' with ZERO criativity and does'n matter what they say or not about it, first view NEVER create a better identification between players and character in game as 3rd person create
I feel significantly more immersed in the game exactly because it's 1st person view only. So that's just your opinion and not a universal fact.
Especially the cutscenes and main quest dialogues are much more intense this way. I can't imagine the meeting with Mealstrom during The Pickup being even remotely as intense if it was 3rd person view.

Even if this is true (it's not), why buy the game that is clearly marketed as FPP-only.
In what way is FPP "imposed" upon anyone? How is anyone "forced" to play the FPP-only game?

Wait, are you implying the games I wanted to play that didn't cater to my wants and preferences specifically... I could have simply not played?

Nonsense!

Last edited:
Wrong in everything, first, GTA V have 1 and 3 rd camera view - 2 character1s controls; Secound, i like 1rd perspective view. To finish, amazing, 10k players - GTA V from 2013 have 100k - spent 6 milions hours in a module because the game is a dead land. :) (and, WAIT, GTA V have now a character creator in online mod - they LISTEN - LISTEN - LISTEN - the people)
You can compare multiplayers games with a solo game... As you can see here (steamcharts top), the most played games were, are and will always be multiplayer games... GTA is no exception, most of players don't play the solo ;)
Cyberpunk is like The Witcher 3, when you completed the game, it's end... there is no "endless content".

To return to the topic, provding exclusively a first view was and is an artitic choice made by CDPR, a choice that you can disapprove or dislike that's fine... But it's exactly like The Witcher 3, when CDPR chose to only provide the third person view because it fit better to the game that they wanted to make. Simple as that :)
It's something that CDPR announced years before the release... "first person view game fully and only".
And to finish, as far as I know, clothes/tattoo/haircut/cyberware mods are quite popular for Cyberpunk and a transmog system is something asked almost since release, so... plenty of players like to "customize" their character, even if they never see their V during the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom