#CountdownToTheDarkFuture - November: Famous Solos, Cyberanimals, Timeline 2020-2045, Famous Media Figures.

+
One would have to assume good old fashion pets are around as well. Perhaps a bit less "generically pure" and they may occasionally stain your carpets, but they'll be a HELL of a lot cheaper to acquire and probably maintain (no need for expensive maintenance agreements with a Corp).

One would have to assume good old fashion pets are around as well.
Yup, in the 2018 gameplay there was a cat before you go down to meet Victor.
What does this mean for our 2077 dark future?
There are still 100% natural fleas baby. Uhuu!

One would have to assume good old fashion pets are around as well. Perhaps a bit less "generically pure" and they may occasionally stain your carpets, but they'll be a HELL of a lot cheaper to acquire and probably maintain (no need for expensive maintenance agreements with a Corp).

I wouldn't assume...

People need to get their meat from somewhere in the Dark Future.

Day 309 of #countdowntothedarkfuture! How to make man's best friend even better!
Countdown110519.jpg

I don't remember any seroius orbital strikes from Firestorm, also US not only recognized orbital government but also supported with power projection actions against the ESA, so if the strikes occured, they probably fukked up the Euro Theater.

I really hate some things here. They have been discussed for years.
The nuke, according to Mike was in 5KT range. It was detonated in the centre of a war torn, besieged city, the centre that was and actual warzone. There were not many people there. Even if there were, there wouldn't be even close to half a milion.
Picture this. A 20KT nuke, droppet over a centre of an unsuspecting city, far from any fighting, in the rush hours caused between 90 thousand to 140 thousand fatalities. The Arasaka nuke would cause 5-10k casualties, tops. And again. The nuke doesn't even destroy the entire tower (it is clearly stated in jupstart) If it's the case, the nuke is minimal yeld device (not achievable practically at this moment, but CP is sci-fi) ranging far below 0,1KT. The verdict is, less than 1 thousand die in the nuking of NC, probably not a single person outside Arasaka Tower. Also, after the detonation, Morgan and Adam were trading blows on the collapsing roof... :) "It killed half a million people, save those in the ground zero..." :)
As for the Times of Red... ONE nuke, a few orbital drops, 3 years of VERY LIMITED fighting. Why limited? There're two corps fighting. They can hardly field 200k troops all over the world at all time. Sure, they used some proxies in the form of smaller corps and 3rd world armies, but still. It is even clearly stated that by the time of nationalizing Militech, the war caused 50k casualties all over the globe. A lot. But more pople die yearly in gun related incidents in the US alone, and it does not cause the end of the world :) Second World War in which THREE nukes were used, each five times more powerful than Mike's nuke, every major citry between Moscow and Brussels was turned into rubbles, some of them burned to the ground, I only mention Europe. And guess what... no times of red... :)
I know I'm picky, but even writing an RPG game lore one could use some common sense. And at least read what he's written 22 years ago :)

A certain amount of leeway has to be given for "story".

That said, the Arasaka nuke, a 5 KT surface burst (since it went off inside a building not several hundred/thousand feet in the air) had a fireball radius of 150m (i.e. vaporizes everything), a 307m 20 psi radius (demolished buildings), a 780m 5 psi radius (windows blown out, non-reinforced buildings severely damaged), an apx. 1000m thermal radius (3rd degree burns to exposed flesh), an apx. 1100m radiation radius (50+% death rate from radiation exposure, and an apx. 2000m radius of blown out windows and minor building damage.
(( And this points out something I was constantly "lecturing" about when teaching NBC classes during my military service ... chances are the radiation from a nuke won't kill you, a collapsing building or the resulting fires will get you loonngg before the radiation is an issue. ))

So ...

Apparently there were half a million people in a 1-2km radius of the Arasaka tower?
( New York City has a population density of 66,940 per 25,846km2, and Hong Kong around 2-3 times that.)

Last edited:
I believe, honestly, its the other way around. While there was fighting in Night City, the safest place at the time WAS the Corporate Center. Arasaka more or less controlled it and had it tightly locked up. Anyone with any sort of ability to get be there would be there to avoid fighting elsewhere. Meaning it may well have been more crowded than normal.

The Towers falling caused chain reactions within the center, destroying other buildings, rupturing gas lines, causing fires which swept outward.

Meanwhile, the nuclear shockwave liquified a good portion of the solidified fill that parts of the city were built on. Buildings collapsed. Sink holes opened up.

And, of course, there was rioting. Looting. Gangs already prone to violence on GOOD days taking advantage of the chaos.

Instantly might have been a poor choice of words but within hours? Half a million people dead isn't a bad estimate.

Top Bottom