#CountdownToTheDarkFuture - December : Cyberpunk Slang, Actual Plays, Night City 2045, Quotes - inc from Mike Pondsmith!

+
Day 352 of #countdowntothedarkfuture continues sharing quotes from the world of Cyberpunk. Today, a page from the tourist's guide to Night City advising on local weather conditions.
Countdown121819.jpg

In universe articles by C.J. O'Reilly appear in several sourcebooks, making him one of the most prolific voices in the Cyberpunk world. This quote is from his special report on the Forlorn Hope. Day 353 of #countdowntothedarkfuture.
Countdown121919.jpg

C.J. O'Reilly is back with another quote, this time about the People's Arena: a quiz show/combat hybrid. You use the money you earn from the quiz show portion to buy weapons for the combat portion. Day 355 of #countdowntothedarkfuture.
Countdown122119.jpg

My own introduction to Cyberpunk was in 1988 or 89. At the time I was a senior NCO in the USMC working in Intelligence (counter terrorism). Needless to say most of the friends I played with had similar military and job type backgrounds (yeah, a bunch of military geeks). We LOVED the "realistic" combat system (compared to almost all other RPGs) and the way the skill system allowed us to replicate real people (with diverse skill sets, no one-trick ponies).

Needless to say we didn't approach the game with a "how big a gun can I have ... how many people can I kill" attitude, after all we used real guns and understood how they worked ... and how damn heavy some of them are! Our GM didn't run NPCs as suicidal morons, if you hurt them they fled; if you got the drop on them they surrendered rather then dieing pointlessly.

My experience with Cyberpunk was VASTLY different from that of 95% of players.

My own introduction to Cyberpunk was in 1988 or 89. At the time I was a senior NCO in the USMC working in Intelligence (counter terrorism). Needless to say most of the friends I played with had similar military and job type backgrounds (yeah, a bunch of military geeks). We LOVED the "realistic" combat system (compared to almost all other RPGs) and the way the skill system allowed us to replicate real people (with diverse skill sets, no one-trick ponies).

Needless to say we didn't approach the game with a "how big a gun can I have ... how many people can I kill" attitude, after all we used real guns and understood how they worked ... and how damn heavy some of them are! Our GM didn't run NPCs as suicidal morons, if you hurt them they fled; if you got the drop on them they surrendered rather then dieing pointlessly.

My experience with Cyberpunk was VASTLY different from that of 95% of players.

Not as different as you might think. As Lisa mentions in today's Countdown fact, we heard similar from more than a few soldiers and police.

Not as different as you might think. As Lisa mentions in today's Countdown fact, we heard similar from more than a few soldiers and police.
No real surprise, you don't have to totally suspend reality with Cyberpunk.

YES it has elements necessary for a game vs a sim but I think of it like the original "Star Wars", while space opera science fantasy it was plausible.

Hammered is a great series and Jenny Casey is a lot of fun.

I wonder how many of our favourite characters in other books nowadays come from PnP games?

Expanse is a PnP campaign apparently. So is Disco Elysium.

2020 has no doubt been influencing dozen of writers over the years!

Top Bottom