Cp2077 can learn World War Z (npc number exceeds 500)

+
Cyberpunk is way more complex than world war z (no AI, no physics, no open-world), the simple number of NPCs on screen is not a good indication of graphical quality, at all. As long as cyberpunk has a realstic number of npcs and vehicles (gta V, 2013, old gen), it's fine. It needs to recreate the feeling of a big city, not a horde of zombies.

Btw, those numbers can be seen in dead rising 3 (2016) and, with way better graphics and game complexity, in days gone (coming next week).

As @Mybrokenenglish said, the sheer number of NPCs is but one factor in how well a game runs.

1) Graphic complexity (lo res vs hi res)
2) NPC activity (stationary NPCs vs mobile and even 'worse' doing different things as determined by the AI)
3) The backgound, i.e. trees, rocks, buildings, god forbid moving water. (simple vs complex)
4) Day/night cycles and weather (shadows, fog, and rain take a lot of processing power to render)
5) Interactivity (can you interact with NPCs in ways other then simply fighting them)

And that's just off the top of my head, there are a dozen other considerations.

Why this is so special, there has been games with lots of NPCs before. I believe I read that Dead Rising is buried, so I guess players didnt like it much. Witcher/Cyberpunk kind of games seems never lose players appeal.

Last edited:
World War Z presents the illusion of high NPC numbers by having limited models, and rapid de-spawn/erasure of bodies with confined maps.
... so, yeah, if you want to have and see a dozen complete, exact duplicate NPCs on the screen all at the same time, and have them suddenly disappear to make room for more, while night city is broken up into separate sections divided by loading screens or some other trick to disguise a zone/map transition, then, that's how that game does it.

Just as we've all become aware of some games doing large maps, just for the sake of space, without much of any interest in those maps to justify their size, having large, generic crowds, just for the sake of crowds without much justification can probably fall into a similar category.

Certainly, there's the old "Style over Substance" when it comes to Cyberpunk lore, but, when it comes to actual content and development translated into our real world lives, I'd really prefer to have way more substance than style, though I doubt style needs be sacrificed much on the back end to implement substance at or better than what we saw in The Witcher 3.
I'd rather walk into a building and have 10 really fleshed out characters with good AI, and a decent number of dialogue trees than have the whole building filled with 200 zombie-equivalent NPCs that can't be interacted with much at all.

It makes sense why Dead Rising series was buried, they only managed to sell 13 mill copies in 12 year, that's quite pathetic, with 4 games. Maybe CDPR should make a spin-off of it with Cyberpunk? Fill Night City with tons of NPCs so we can drive over them etc.

Its just me but every time game is even little bit more action oriented it seems to fail, like Dead Rising. Players didnt like Age of Conan, or what happened to Ryse. Or then all ADHD players are still playing shooters. All Point Bullet anyone? It started with DOA. Action stuff is starting to see as side-feature for me, you cant build nothng lasting on it.

Last edited:
i don't think it's as much a problem of a game being action-game as much as those games are made for people that REQUIRE instant gratification - something cool MUST happen each and every second to the point of it being mind numbing.
which reminds me an interview i read a while ago about the holywood film industry where someone said that they want ppl to tune their minds off when they watch their films... that statement left me with a big wtf did i just read?! .

the issue here is that (i assume) most of the people here want all the aspects of the game to be good and not just the 1 aspect of the game unlike most action games are - we would like our brains teased and aroused out of the torpor that most games give us.

..., having large, generic crowds, just for the sake of crowds without much justification...

Just wanted to point this out. Giving me a crowd of zombies in WWZ is a part of the game, the presence of the ever-growing horde is a part of the experience, whereas, in Cyberpunk, crowds for the sake of them aren't substantial, unless there's a reason for a large crowd gathering. Then they'll have to ask themselves if they'll be able to implement this without breaking from the immersion with a loading screen. If not, then they'll have to ask themselves if the goal of the feature outweighs their goal of avoiding loading screens for the sake of immersion.

Simply put, I don't think CDPR can learn much from Saber Interactive just for the sake of NPC count. We shouldn't suggest these kinds of features without understanding the reason for their implementation and asking ourselves if it would infringe with the current objectives.

I think we’ve had large hordes of enemies ever since dynasty warriors and earth defence force. Not sure how impressive that should be.

I think we should worry more about what you intend to do with your NPCs and how you manage it, rather than just large numbers.

THE WITCHER 3 is also a lot of useless npc, and almost all stand in place
In many cases NPCs are just scenery, just like trees, most animals, or buildings.
One of the things that made the original Elder Scrolls games so amazing was that you COULD actually interact with them. Sure, for the most part it was always the same series of questions/answers, but on occasion some NPC had specific dialog that was useful. Pretty amazing for the time.

I think another good example of NPCs in open world games is RDR2, every NPC has its own routine and you can interact with all of them. Of course the interaction is very simple (greet, threat, calm, fist-fight or shoot) and not the same as the elder scrolls or other RPGs (multiple choices dialogues), but it's way better than witcher 3 in this.
I'm pretty sure cyberpunk won't have any interaction with random NPCs, only with vendors and during quests.

In many cases NPCs are just scenery, just like trees, most animals, or buildings.
One of the things that made the original Elder Scrolls games so amazing was that you COULD actually interact with them. Sure, for the most part it was always the same series of questions/answers, but on occasion some NPC had specific dialog that was useful. Pretty amazing for the time.
More importantly, they were persistent, not randomized (for the most part) and even those that were randomized could be interacted with beyond dialogue. Kill them, sure, no surprise there, but also pickpocket, cast spells on, rob their houses.

Cp2077 can learn World War Z (npc number exceeds 500) :cool::cool:

A lot of npc , optimization is very good , no fps drop

if you know how they do it. then you know it can not be done like that.
the dead dead bodies despawn FAST and the hitbox/collision of the npc's are blocks (only the animation differs where you shoot them)
here is a link that explains it better then i can..

Post automatically merged:

Cp2077 npc should be similar to THE WITCHER 3 npc

it is. same engine. improved engine.

Last edited:
Why this is so special, there has been games with lots of NPCs before. I believe I read that Dead Rising is buried, so I guess players didnt like it much. Witcher/Cyberpunk kind of games seems never lose players appeal.

man, it depends a lot on the times do not like many NPCs as fear zombie does not stop chasing you, why people would not like a city full of people just walking around and doing that ordinary citizen does ......... Of course working right is what matters if it can happen with an incredible quality for me, great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom