CP2077 is just too "static".

+
Mild spoiiers included.

Most of us agree that this game is a bit too fixed and static. Once you walk around a little bit, and especially if you complete the main quest line, there is very little left in the game world that is interesting or surprising. How do we fix this? I have some ideas, of course. As background I have a Master's Degree in AI from a large University and do have some experience with programming AI and emergent behavior.

1) Procedural vs static quests: Obviously, some main or major quests need many static elements. But why do all the smaller "side jobs" or "gig" quests need to be fixed? What if, every time a new game is started, the game takes some time to configure some fixed number of quests (say 100-200) throughout the city, and assigns most to fixers to dole out. Some others get tied to NPCs wandering around or to locations. These quests can be pretty formulaic ("save Bobby Newmark from Maelstrom gangers") to pretty convoluted ("Retrieve experimental cybermod X from NPC BIotechnica Scientist, and deliver it back to either Biotechnica or to the fixer that hired you, and whichever one you don't deliver too becomes pissed and later retaliates in some way), depending on the quality of the procedural generator. A combination of simple and complex would be ideal.

Additionally, the main and large static quests should include procedurally-generated elements. Maybe Johnny's true motivations can change on each play through, and his dialog and actions change accordingly. Maybe Saburo doesn't actually get murdered, but instead reconciles with Yorinobu, and they join forces to hunt down V and get the chip back. Maybe the chip doesn't have to get damaged, and Johnny wants to find a cloned body to get back into or something else you can help him with. There are lots of options. Does Hanako Arasaka plan to actually help V, or screw him/her over? Same for Alt? Johnny? Takemura? Make it different every time!

This makes the game infinitely replayable. It increases player enjoyment because no matter how many times they play, they will never know on a particular playthrough which combinations of characters are allies and which are truly evil enemies. Imagine walking down the street and some rando NPC walks up to you and says "Hey, I heard you might be able to help me. My brother has a contract with Militech, but they work him like a slave and they won't let him out of the contract. Will you help me get him out?" And next time through that quest doesn't even exist, but equally random and interesting quests do...

Does this seem too impossible? Not really. Instead of spending dev time hand-crafting every single quest and dialog line specific to it, you spend that time on making lots of potential quest locations, procedural AI to generate quests and debug game-breaking combinations, and record a lot of more generic dialog lines (with lots of variations!) you can tie to these generated quests (also done procedurally). Also you need procedures to generate appropriate quest rewards, but that's relatively easy.

2) Get the damn quest icons off the map: This goes with (1) above, but even in the current static world this needs to happen. Unless a quest has been given and accepted, it should not be shown on the map! There is this giant map, and CDPR discourages players from seeing 60% of it because there are no icons there. Same with merchants, make them discoverable (and move them around each play through)! Encourage, no FORCE players to explore Night City and find out where things are. THEN they should appear on the map. Random hints from NPC conversations like "Have you checked out the Boutique on Poplar Street? They have the best threads in the city!" would steer players to vendors AND encourage NPC interaction.

3) NPC AI needs to be procedural and different every time: What can we say...NPC AI sucks in this game, civilian and police alike. Once again, this behavior needs to be procedural. A subroutine that generates a model, clothing, reactions to various events (like being attacked or engaged in conversation), and potentially assigns a quest to them should be part of the system. All NPCs should be given characteristics like corrupt, cynical, hard working, naive, generous, needy, angry, mentally ill, etc that drive their behavior and dialog with the player.

These should all be set differently on each play though. Instead of the clearly randomly-generated NPCs that we encounter, the game should generate a couple of thousand NPCs and stick their characteristics in a game file. Whenever the game needs to populate an area, it just grabs the next NPC down in the file to use. The player can interact with them and they will always be different and unique, because literally they are never the same.

If the play through runs long enough to exhaust the generated characters, either pause the game and generate more, or recycle randomly. After all, even in a big city you see some of the same people over again. Ideally you'd generate some new ones and recycle some old ones. And if you have talked to them before that should be tagged as well as how the interaction went. How cool to strike up a conversation with a random character, talk a little about her family, and then many play hours later pass that same character elsewhere in the city and have her say "Oh hey V, good to see you again!" or if the interaction went badly hear her mutter under her breath "oh, that asshole again." Vendors too, make the guy selling noodles different every time and have different reactions to V.

4) Fix the loot system: The loot in this game is just bad. It's like the Loot Fairy just flew over the city and exploded like a pinata and randomly flung loot everywhere. Why are there just dozens of useful items laying around? There are hundreds of health boost airhypos laying about. If I found a needle on the side of the road marked "health boost" would I stick it in my arm? If I did, shouldn't there be some fairly high chance it would do something REALLY BAD to me? If I pick up the sunglasses I found next to a hobo, isn't he likely to scream "that's mine, you leave that alone!" and maybe even attack me? Why is there a box with a grenade in it sitting on an office desk?!? I get that this is a more brutal and dangerous reality than we live in, but c'mon.

The loot in this game feels like something in an old Quake game. Nothing is placed for reasons other than "hey, you might need this." For Christ's sake, there is a Legendary rifle just sitting on top of a well-known bar. Nobody in Night City should ever get a Legendary item without a major fight or quest, IMO. Please for the love of all that is holy, make loot locations make sense. 99% of stuff you just find on the street should be worthless or outright dangerous if you use it. That airhypo just poisoned you. That pistol you took off the ganger just blew up in your face. That armor vest just caught fire when you got shot, must be the cheap knock off Pakistani kevlar I heard about in the news. If you want good shit, go to a vendor and pay top dollar for it, or take it off legitimately dangerous foes, not the random ganger street trash.

Once again place this stuff where you'd legitimately expect to find it, not sprinkled everywhere like confetti, with no consequences to random use of random gear found in some random spot.

5) Physics: I have no experience in physics programming. But please but fix this. It's legit embarrassing.

Of course there are challenges in overhead with the above fixes. But most of the overhead can be shifted to happen each time the game starts as a new play through. At the end of character creation I would not mind a message saying "Generating a customized living Night City for this character" with a status bar and maybe some animated video intro to keep me from getting bored while I wait. Even if it took five minutes it would be worth it to have new quests, new NPCs, new twists to the main story, and a whole bunch of replayability.

These static systems have to go. When during Night City Wire the project lead said he had devs literally placing individual pieces of trash, I died a little inside as a person with an AI programming background. We have computers so that we can program them to do all these menial tasks for us. Work smarter not harder, CDPR!

Guest 3573786

Strongly disagree with the idea of removing quest markers.

I don't want to wander around every nook and cranny looking for quests!

I want to go to the next Side Gig.
See, that's why - when I make a game in the next life - I'll put an option for people to toggle markers and everyone can play however they want. Learn from my future self cdpr :cry:

Strongly disagree with the idea of removing quest markers.

I don't want to wander around every nook and cranny looking for quests!

I want to go to the next Side Gig.

As I said, once you get and accept a quest you get a marker.

But an optional "low attention span" marker option would be okay. :)

I think the marker point was the least important thing in my post, though.

Mild spoiiers included.

Most of us agree that this game is a bit too fixed and static. Once you walk around a little bit, and especially if you complete the main quest line, there is very little left in the game world that is interesting or surprising. How do we fix this? I have some ideas, of course. As background I have a Master's Degree in AI from a large University and do have some experience with programming AI and emergent behavior.

1) Procedural vs static quests: Obviously, some main or major quests need many static elements. But why do all the smaller "side jobs" or "gig" quests need to be fixed? What if, every time a new game is started, the game takes some time to configure some fixed number of quests (say 100-200) throughout the city, and assigns most to fixers to dole out. Some others get tied to NPCs wandering around or to locations. These quests can be pretty formulaic ("save Bobby Newmark from Maelstrom gangers") to pretty convoluted ("Retrieve experimental cybermod X from NPC BIotechnica Scientist, and deliver it back to either Biotechnica or to the fixer that hired you, and whichever one you don't deliver too becomes pissed and later retaliates in some way), depending on the quality of the procedural generator. A combination of simple and complex would be ideal.

Additionally, the main and large static quests should include procedurally-generated elements. Maybe Johnny's true motivations can change on each play through, and his dialog and actions change accordingly. Maybe Saburo doesn't actually get murdered, but instead reconciles with Yorinobu, and they join forces to hunt down V and get the chip back. Maybe the chip doesn't have to get damaged, and Johnny wants to find a cloned body to get back into or something else you can help him with. There are lots of options. Does Hanako Arasaka plan to actually help V, or screw him/her over? Same for Alt? Johnny? Takemura? Make it different every time!

This makes the game infinitely replayable. It increases player enjoyment because no matter how many times they play, they will never know on a particular playthrough which combinations of characters are allies and which are truly evil enemies. Imagine walking down the street and some rando NPC walks up to you and says "Hey, I heard you might be able to help me. My brother has a contract with Militech, but they work him like a slave and they won't let him out of the contract. Will you help me get him out?" And next time through that quest doesn't even exist, but equally random and interesting quests do...

Does this seem too impossible? Not really. Instead of spending dev time hand-crafting every single quest and dialog line specific to it, you spend that time on making lots of potential quest locations, procedural AI to generate quests and debug game-breaking combinations, and record a lot of more generic dialog lines (with lots of variations!) you can tie to these generated quests (also done procedurally). Also you need procedures to generate appropriate quest rewards, but that's relatively easy.

2) Get the damn quest icons off the map: This goes with (1) above, but even in the current static world this needs to happen. Unless a quest has been given and accepted, it should not be shown on the map! There is this giant map, and CDPR discourages players from seeing 60% of it because there are no icons there. Same with merchants, make them discoverable (and move them around each play through)! Encourage, no FORCE players to explore Night City and find out where things are. THEN they should appear on the map. Random hints from NPC conversations like "Have you checked out the Boutique on Poplar Street? They have the best threads in the city!" would steer players to vendors AND encourage NPC interaction.

3) NPC AI needs to be procedural and different every time: What can we say...NPC AI sucks in this game, civilian and police alike. Once again, this behavior needs to be procedural. A subroutine that generates a model, clothing, reactions to various events (like being attacked or engaged in conversation), and potentially assigns a quest to them should be part of the system. All NPCs should be given characteristics like corrupt, cynical, hard working, naive, generous, needy, angry, mentally ill, etc that drive their behavior and dialog with the player.

These should all be set differently on each play though. Instead of the clearly randomly-generated NPCs that we encounter, the game should generate a couple of thousand NPCs and stick their characteristics in a game file. Whenever the game needs to populate an area, it just grabs the next NPC down in the file to use. The player can interact with them and they will always be different and unique, because literally they are never the same.

If the play through runs long enough to exhaust the generated characters, either pause the game and generate more, or recycle randomly. After all, even in a big city you see some of the same people over again. Ideally you'd generate some new ones and recycle some old ones. And if you have talked to them before that should be tagged as well as how the interaction went. How cool to strike up a conversation with a random character, talk a little about her family, and then many play hours later pass that same character elsewhere in the city and have her say "Oh hey V, good to see you again!" or if the interaction went badly hear her mutter under her breath "oh, that asshole again." Vendors too, make the guy selling noodles different every time and have different reactions to V.

4) Fix the loot system: The loot in this game is just bad. It's like the Loot Fairy just flew over the city and exploded like a pinata and randomly flung loot everywhere. Why are there just dozens of useful items laying around? There are hundreds of health boost airhypos laying about. If I found a needle on the side of the road marked "health boost" would I stick it in my arm? If I did, shouldn't there be some fairly high chance it would do something REALLY BAD to me? If I pick up the sunglasses I found next to a hobo, isn't he likely to scream "that's mine, you leave that alone!" and maybe even attack me? Why is there a box with a grenade in it sitting on an office desk?!? I get that this is a more brutal and dangerous reality than we live in, but c'mon.

The loot in this game feels like something in an old Quake game. Nothing is placed for reasons other than "hey, you might need this." For Christ's sake, there is a Legendary rifle just sitting on top of a well-known bar. Nobody in Night City should ever get a Legendary item without a major fight or quest, IMO. Please for the love of all that is holy, make loot locations make sense. 99% of stuff you just find on the street should be worthless or outright dangerous if you use it. That airhypo just poisoned you. That pistol you took off the ganger just blew up in your face. That armor vest just caught fire when you got shot, must be the cheap knock off Pakistani kevlar I heard about in the news. If you want good shit, go to a vendor and pay top dollar for it, or take it off legitimately dangerous foes, not the random ganger street trash.

Once again place this stuff where you'd legitimately expect to find it, not sprinkled everywhere like confetti, with no consequences to random use of random gear found in some random spot.

5) Physics: I have no experience in physics programming. But please but fix this. It's legit embarrassing.

Of course there are challenges in overhead with the above fixes. But most of the overhead can be shifted to happen each time the game starts as a new play through. At the end of character creation I would not mind a message saying "Generating a customized living Night City for this character" with a status bar and maybe some animated video intro to keep me from getting bored while I wait. Even if it took five minutes it would be worth it to have new quests, new NPCs, new twists to the main story, and a whole bunch of replayability.

These static systems have to go. When during Night City Wire the project lead said he had devs literally placing individual pieces of trash, I died a little inside as a person with an AI programming background. We have computers so that we can program them to do all these menial tasks for us. Work smarter not harder, CDPR!
OMG, thank you for putting all this into one post. I have been advocating for massive amounts of immersion like this but I lack the patience to spell it all out. I love all of this!

OMG, thank you for putting all this into one post. I have been advocating for massive amounts of immersion like this but I lack the patience to spell it all out. I love all of this!

My pleasure. I honestly just think CDPR focused on the wrong way of doing things, hand-crafting versus just building a really capable system and then turning it loose.

Yeah it's the same as Witcher 3. There's nothing dynamic going on, it's all just put in place to be discovered or tracked on the map.
Break down weapons and items for material to craft with. Sometimes you'll loot a recipe for great armors, weapons, or potions in odd places.
:shrug:Doesn't bother me much, but this game could use some good updates, adding back cut content, and additional expansions.

See, that's why - when I make a game in the next life - I'll put an option for people to toggle markers and everyone can play however they want. Learn from my future self cdpr :cry:
As far as I remember AC:V and maybe a few other games has this option already :shrug: .
No need to get a reincarnation as gamedeveloper.

Would one suggestion be 'radiant quests?' While that would be welcomed by me, I feel like people would still say that it was repetitive.

Yeah handcrafted quests will always be better. But radiant quest design could come in handy if there where things like gang wars where you get quests that are generated based on affiliation, and the quests would be gang raids, disputes, turf war, smuggling, heists etc.

Yeah handcrafted quests will always be better. But radiant quest design could come in handy if there where things like gang wars where you get quests that are generated based on affiliation, and the quests would be gang raids, disputes, turf war, smuggling, heists etc.

Yeah, I agree you could have something like that folded into a gang/street cred system.

You just need a gang street cred system ;)

Guest 3573786

As far as I remember AC:V and maybe a few other games has this option already :shrug: .
Nah, I still got to reincarnate cause I'm not gonna be a dev in this one :giveup:
But if games started implementing that, good on them!
4825832.jpg

Good post and a nice read! I agree with pretty much all of it.

I was suprised by how much Night City feels like I'm playing an MMO. Everything in the world waits for you to arrive and resolve and all the NPC's don't actually do anything until you complete a quest that moves things forward.

This needs to be fixed desperately in my opinion as it kills alot of the immersion of the game.

When you head to an 'assault' world mission there will be some thugs and a civ or two being thugged. If you wait over the road and watch them, if you don't get close they will all just stand there and wait, playing an idle animation on repeat. The assault will never happen and the thugs will stay in place indefinitely.
If you decide 'screw it' and walk off, when you come back later they will still be there, waiting to start the assault when you get close

As soon as I realised this, I stopped caring about the crimes around me. They all wait for you.

All of the blue icons on the map should have in-game time limits, where if they are on the map for longer than say 2 hours, they go away. It could just respawn later in a few game days in the same location, but moving them about would be much better.
The mission needs to start up as soon as its spawned in the world, and if you don't go there it will run its course and despawn once the assault has ended.

Finally the icons shouldn't show up on the map unless the player is in the area, instead of all of them showing up at once. Like you enter a district and the world missions for that district are added to the map. The icons in the district you just left will time-out and disappear on their own once the crimes are over and you wont get new reports come in until you return to the district

Mild spoiiers included.

It's easy going "we write an algorithm" - but did you ever read up on the books on storytelling algorithms for humans? Meaning how many theories and books there are on the subject of what makes a story a good story? Much less an interactive story good?
The problem here is that infinite possible quests are most often worse than one handcrafted quest, when it comes to storytelling as no one has yet found the right algorithm to produce something people describe meaning to. In actuality you'll find dozens of people describing how Radiant quests are detrimental to storytelling.

So meaning your simple story exists not in a vacuum, but in a meta story. And even worse, with your described different experiences of the story - the meta story exists in the human society, whereas people want to experience similar stories and exchange themselves about the meaning ascribed to what they saw.
This last layer mostly gets lost in what you describe.

And that's not tackling things like pacing, moods and all that stuff, that you can hardly put into computer measurable stuff (well without us all getting electrodes on the head while gaming).

Record a lot more generic dialogue -> "Oh Mudcrabs, horrible creatures" "I once took an arrow to the knee" - See at how people currently ridicule it.

There certainly is a place for procedural generating missions/gigs (NCPD sending V to take out some gangers would be one of that example - if it's well integrated within some crime algorithm for a precinct and a story about that precinct or some such).
And i'm astonished how CDPR spent seemingly quite some time to do 100.eds of gigs per hand, with interesting shards included (so somewhat understanably), which don't feel as if they have a lot of meaning.
Or how they "failed" to show of how your quest decisions actually change things (Certain Corpo dying and placed dead umarked in a river with certain story choices; something one only can chance upon normally).

If you look at people trying to do procedural storytelling (Radiant AI, Archmages Rises, Gearhead RPG, Rimworld to an lesser extend) - they're having the biggest problems tackling one of the biggest gripes of CP2077.
How to quests meaningful interweave. With it feeling intentional, while not railroaded. Yes reading setting and reading variables is easy, but keeping track of possible pathways in a branching story and keeping each branch interesting and consistent in storytelling, isn't easy.

I mean in the ideal world we'd all get the AI gamemaster leading our singleplayer gaming experience, one who understands stories. But we're simply not there (yet) ;)
So yes for more branches and for procedural gigs enveloped in a specific meta story (one whereas you don't have many diffferent story elements, but rather gameloop parameters like in Left4Dead levels), but i don't see your branching pathes by randomly drawing cards working out to well really.

But thanks for your long post and idea :)

I'm playing AC:V waiting for CDPR's next patch.
People quitted AC:V to play CP77 and they are coming back, it's funny.

AC:V gets an "explorator mode". This removes distances on the compass, it is very cool. First time I play an AC like this. This is really a lot better for exploration, because it gives you a direction, and maybe you'll do other things in the path. You have the map to plan fast travel if needed.

There is also no minimap since AC:Origins (the one set in egypt), they use the bird instead.
Post automatically merged:

@FLyingMonkeyPaints you're a little tl;dr for me tonigth but I will read you later in details.
For the 40% I read, I think we saw the same things : CP needs to be more organic, and not a game where you can :
- a : do missions,
- b : do nothing else.

This transforms a would-be sandbox game in a theme park.

When it comes to procedural, CDPR is doing the opposite of it, and they have a reason. What makes CDPR's game strong is their reject of procedural (+ writing meaningfull "dialogue choices", in gamedesign terms, still with CP77 they did go less far than with TW3, because they still use too much of something called illusion of choice).

I do not think procedural is bad, but it should represent no more than 5% of their game or people would see it, and "loose imagination". Procedural stuff mean "work", and stimulate not that much imagination.

Skellige sea in TW3 was procedural, and it was ugly. CP77 removes it, if you read logs you find during the mission. By givingreasons of NPC doing stuff, this make players imaginate stuff. You couldn't imaginate much in TW3's Skellige sea.

Still, logs are "hidden content" most player won't even read. It is bad because those makes these missions enjoyable.

Last edited:
It's easy going "we write an algorithm" - but did you ever read up on the books on storytelling algorithms for humans? Meaning how many theories and books there are on the subject of what makes a story a good story? Much less an interactive story good?

Yes, I have a good grasp of story telling. Please re-read my post; I did not call for all elements to be procedurally-driven. I only described that within the broad arc of the main story, there are *many* good and compelling story ideas that lead to high drama and in some cases better stories than the "canned" static story we have now. What if Johnny is, all along, a villain? What if he and Alt are working together together to feed you to her so Johnny can have your body as a "vessel" for both he and Alt to walk the Earth once again? What if Hanako is really a good-at-heart altruist who knows about Johnny and wants to help you thwart him? There is huge latitude within the dramatic structure of "you are dying and Johnny is stuck in your head with you" to make many good stories.

If I want a set story with pretty graphics I will read a graphic novel. From an open world RPG computer game, I think the goal should be to surprise and delight the player. Not just on the first play through, but on *every* play through.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a good grasp of story telling. Please re-read my post; I did not call for all elements to be procedurally-driven. I only described that within the broad arc of the main story, there are *many* good and compelling story ideas that lead to high drama and in some cases better stories than the "canned" static story we have now. What if Johnny is, all along, a villain? What if he and Alt are working together together to feed you to her so Johnny can have your body as a "vessel for both he and Alt to walk the Earth once again? What if Hanako is really a good-at-heart altruist who knows about Johnny and wants to help you thwart him? There is huge latitude within the dramatic structure of "you are dying and Johnny is stuck in your head with you" to make many good stories.

If I want a set story with pretty graphics I will read a graphic novel. From an open world RPG computer game, I think the goal should be to surprise and delight the player. Not just on the first play through, but on *every* play through.

As a long time fan of cyberpunk 2020, all I wanted to do was hang out with Johnny Silverhand and Alt Cunningham.

I am 100% behind supporting the latter.

I'm actually annoyed she didn't have a larger role.

When it comes to procedural, CDPR is doing the opposite of it, and they have a reason. What makes CDPR's game strong is their reject of procedural (+ writing meaningfull "dialogue choices", in gamedesign terms, still with CP77 they did go less far than with TW3, because they still use too much of something called illusion of choice).

I do not think procedural is bad, but it should represent no more than 5% of their game or people would see it, and "loose imagination". Procedural stuff mean "work", and stimulate not that much imagination.

Skellige sea in TW3 was procedural, and it was ugly. CP77 removes it, if you read logs you find during the mission. By givingreasons of NPC doing stuff, this make players imaginate stuff. You couldn't imaginate much in TW3's Skellige sea.

Still, logs are "hidden content" most player won't even read. It is bad because those makes these missions enjoyable.

I disagree. You can have a general framework, and run procedures to "tweak the story", as I have mentioned. If your procedural game is bad, it's because either you used procedural techniques in the wrong ways, or you have shitty procedures.

"All problems of intelligence are problems of search" is an axiom and a truism of AI. It is absolutely possible for a well-designed algorithm to understand and design good stories. Hell, you could program the basic tenets of a hero's journey from Joseph Campbell's classic book on hero archetype stories, "The Hero With a Thousand Faces", give it a bunch of cyberpunk story elements and characters, and have it spit out a ton of valid and dramatic main story plots. Use something like a genetic algorithm to compare the plots back to some objective function test designed by the devs for the kind of story they want to tell, and you can quickly zero in on a number of awesome plots.

Obviously not as simplistic as I just described, but no more complex than the genetic algorithm classifier system I designed for my Master's thesis, that taught a simulated jet airplane to get better over time at avoiding missiles shot at it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom