CP2077 is really not all that different from the Witcher series

+
They were both personal love letters to a previously obscure IP. How many non-Polish people knew about the Gerald of Rivia before the Witcher games? Probably similar to how many people knew about Johnny Silverhand before CDPR announced this game.

The developers wanted to make a game about the characters of the IP they loved. But just like in the Witcher series, main character is already dead in the official timeline (Geralt and Johnny). So they brought Geralt back from the dead with a magical retcon in the Witcher series, and tried to bring back Johnny Silverhand with a Soulkiller chip technology. In the end the goal was always for the player to play as the character from the original IP. Because that's the characters the developers actually care about, they don't care about the player's personal V.

Imagine if they started the game with you as Johnny Silverhand who just woke up in the body of a merc that your chip took over. And throughout the game you have some of the memories of the original body and you try to find out all that has happened since you "died". Then the game would almost exactly be like the Witcher series, except you get to create the appearance of the body you took over at the beginning of the game.
In fact, the cannon ending they will probably go with is the one where Johnny takes over your body. That will be the basis for the CP2078 sequel I bet. That way they can make it just like the Witcher games.
The problem is they tried to do something different and have the player start the game as the merc who will get taken over, and completely underestimated the player backlash from having their personal V erased in favor of the a character from the IP. Because most players don't know and don't care about the IP, whereas these developers loved the CP2020 IP and probably couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't want to play as those characters.

Last edited:
WOW, I started reading Andrzej Sapkowski 1st book in 2007 And became and still am a huge fan.

Also a huge fan of Mike Pondsmith when he started in the Industry in 1982

And they are totally Different and not even in the same league in what was released in my opinion by CDPR in my opinion..

Well, from the beginning there was suppose to be more choice, like different classes. You can tell that their plan had been massive and deep customization in a deeply interactive world.

We ended up with you had to play a solo, although humanity is no issue which is strange because that's the main struggle as a solo, and you had the character of V pretty much down.

But there's less heart in V then there was geralt because it has to be somewhat generic.

You know if they were going to restrict you to such a degree, I agree just make you Johnny anyway.

No thanks. I don't want to play as Johnny "retarded" Silverhand. If I won't be able to create my own character, then they better give me Motoko Kusanagi. And someone please explain to me how does a person who reads his lines like a speech synthesizer becomes a famous actor?

While I liked Johnny, I think that his personality only grew on people because of V. His character value only seems to be driven by him sticking to his principals which allowed him to experience his personal growth in interactions with V. Without V Johnny wouldn't have ever been able to come out of his shell as he was allowed to in this way.

And I think that people will place lot more value on V because V was the catalyst that allowed that progression to occur. Bottom line is that Johnny in his case stays one dimensional and depends on V to grow.

And while am sure they will flirt with the idea to maybe continue with Johnny or make a prequel around the events of his life It will be a severe oversight to drop V's character in the future. But lets say they did that, it breaks the immersion or the logical character narrative. So you continue in a V looking body with the personality traits of Johnny, it wouldn't make sense because then you would be limited to certain types of response that define Johnny. And if they allow you to have dialogue options that V would typically have, which they should if they wish to keep a player choice driven narrative, then again the character integrity of Johnny breaks apart since there is no V now.

Remember that in sequences that Johnny takes over or you relive his memories you have only responses typical to Johnny, and am sure you felt that you would like to answer differently as V but, okey this is Johnny so these are his responses typical to him and you roll with it. So they knew that it would break his character integrity. And if by some miracle Johnny now has a personality resembling V because he spent time with him/her, then who even is Johnny Silverhand and why does he matter?

So this kind of approach would directly take away any multiple dialogue options in that new game. I feel the way it was done now, with Johnny accompanying you in V's head with his side comments and random dialogues, made for a pretty fun and dynamic duo that would hit you randomly and surprise you and break the monotony of a silent character going through story, the world and events alone typically. It made it feel more lively because you felt Johnny looking over your shoulder and he could jump in at any moment to smartass a line. And to me that was fun and entertaining and I looked forward to it.

Part of me wishes there was an ending that allowed to somehow stop V from dying while stopping Johnny's psyche and the chip from taking over, basically leaving things as they are so we could maybe get more of the same dynamic going forward. As it stands now, V should continue the journey in my opinion.

Dont forget the impressive cock ;)

I may sacrifice a female V just to stick the finger to him for that line :)

Big different, witcher 3 you have the choice who you romance, Cyberpunk you can't because you got a dick and it's a huge problem in a world that you can make you hand become a sword.

Top Bottom