CP2077 KATANA GAMEPLAY REVEALED

+
Hey chombas... Am I the only left-handed guy who wishes to handle his melee weapons with the left hand ?
It would be so nice !

To begins with, Melee weapons should work like short range range weapons: when someone enters the weapon's maai, the target reticle changes color and the character automatically moves and attack in the same action. And the even better part about that: can easely be made better with cyberware.

But it's not gonna happens, I wish we could really communicate ideas with dev, now is obviously too late.

I think it would be fine if in CP2077 the devs just replicated shadow warrior's stance and smooth out the slashing animations. From what I'm seeing the katana feels like your hitting on an armor instead of a human wearing clothes.

Haven't read any on the post here.. ((i will after i post this. i do not want to get swayed in a direction...)

BUT!! i have seen the gameplay 3 times now.. and TWO things bothers me a bit.. and i bet the Devs sees the same problem... I guess there have to be limits and compromises...

1 ! When a person use a long weapon to swing.. it has to compensate the weight with is body. "From the hips ASSHOLE!!!" yes yes... good old days.. Soooo when the katana (or baseball bat look at youtube for how the body moves when they swing) moves from left to right the head should sway from right to left and tilt to the right. but it looks like it is a 400kg robot without a neck that is swinging a katana.

2 !
When two metal objects are slammed into a wall.... it should be heard at least 200m away in a city. It should not be a tool to sneak up on people... come on... 20m away and they can not hear that?? it is like a hammer bicking away stone !!!
www youtube com/watch?v=dxz7oTygzfA

Post automatically merged:

"Your animations will reflect your weapon skill, and they will improve as your skill does (The only footage we've seen of melee/sword combat was from a low level V) "
nice!

Hey chombas... Am I the only left-handed guy who wishes to handle his melee weapons with the left hand ?
It would be so nice !
It would be stupid if they didn't gave that option. :)
but.. only 10% is left handed and would it be a reason to not buy the game? and how much money / time would it cost to make left handed sword fight possible in the game? is it worth it?

Last edited:
It would be so nice !

It's possible you can change aiming side ? I don't know if this is doable or common in FPS view.

Also, Vermintide is another example of satisfying melee with the big swings

The thing is, to properly use Katana, a strike should be intricately connected to characters movement. A fast, sharp leap forward accompanied by diagonal slash. Move whole body, not just the hands.

Agree, as it is also what I said.:beer:

I think it would be fine if in CP2077 the devs just replicated shadow warrior's stance

Actually I'm not a fan about the stance I see in shadow warrior, neither from hand placing or choice of stance by itself.

Last edited:
Sword fighting can refer to these games :

I think these first-person sword fighting are very good. :cool:

Chivalry 2 blow feedback + Shadow Warrior 2 gorgeous animation = nice game

( Shadow Warrior 2 )

( Chivalry 2 )

Last edited:
I think this is just the result of people that are used to Hollywood representation of sword fighting and expect large telegraphed and slow attacks because they feel "powerful". Sword fighting isn't supposed to be "powerful". It needs to be fast. It's a cutting weapong, not a sledgehammer

The only thing I really don't like about the Katana gameplay is the sprinting animation with the sword drawn which made me cringe a bit because it literally looks like some weeb running around like they saw it in their last Anime... The rest is good although I wish that the swings would feel a bit more powerful.

I think this is just the result of people that are used to Hollywood representation of sword fighting and expect large telegraphed and slow attacks because they feel "powerful". Sword fighting isn't supposed to be "powerful". It needs to be fast. It's a cutting weapong, not a sledgehammer
powerful looking katana animations can be fast at the same time

Last edited:
Katana is an overhyped thing anyway, only useful with a ton of practice, if distance is below 2 meters and 1-on-1 for anything else a pistol/rifle is better.

Me, I will attempt a Section 9 corpo style - focus on hack, stealth and pistols - and will try a social butterfly pacifist street kid one and a Terminator style Nomad too.

Katana is an overhyped thing anyway, only useful with a ton of practice, if distance is below 2 meters and 1-on-1 for anything else a pistol/rifle is better.

Me, I will attempt a Section 9 corpo style - focus on hack, stealth and pistols - and will try a social butterfly pacifist street kid one and a Terminator style Nomad too.
you forgot that V will be able to dodge bullets and close the distance between enemies in the blink of an eye (from their perspective) while using the Kerenzikov and other cyberwares, just like some of the cyberwared npcs. V will not be limited by human flesh limitations. cyberpunk blades uses technologies that are not used in bullets, giving them extreme cutting power and higher dps than guns. if you face enemy who's dodging bullets and you don't have sword and enhanced super speed you just may be screwed.

Last edited:

Minus IRL, a Katana strike is a whole body move 99% of the time, not just an arm move. You don't hack with a Katana, you slice (that's actually the hardest part about learning how to use it).

social butterfly

How do you plan to do that, I'm very interested?

Last edited:
How do you plan to do that, I'm very interested?

By becoming something like Dex: find out what the other party needs and arrange a deal. Also carrying a stun gun because not everyone can be reasoned with, stealth for the same reason (in case they are immune to stun) and a good amount of hacking to find the needs / dirt.

Top Bottom