CP2077 KATANA GAMEPLAY REVEALED

+
A dash move. In gunplay you already have something similar with the forward slide.

While I agree 100% that a dash move is what a Katana should have, in ACTUAL gameplay making such a move work like it should is easier said than done. How its usually done is that the character moves in a line and strikes along that line. The issue comes when you are trying to hit a strafing NPC enemy at a certain range - you will overshoot and miss your target 75% of the time, and it looks stupid af. The enemies in a game like CP2077 will probably be moving around constantly, and trying to hit those with a dashing line attack will miss and look silly most of the time, plus you have to turn and reposition yourself after every such attack.
Post automatically merged:

Minus IRL, a Katana strike is a whole body move 99% of the time, not just an arm move. You don't hack with a Katana, you slice (that's actually the hardest part about learning how to use it).

Agree 100%. Katana is a cutting weapon, not a hacking weapon. Moreover, an expert would use only the very tip of the blade to cut, not the long edge.

Of course, in cyberpunk world your average street criminals aren't going to know anything about proper sword combat and thus use them however. (Im reminded of Case in original Neuromancer buying a weapon cause he felt threatened and then having no idea whatsoever how to use it). So unless you get like a dojo master to teach you, it would be believable if V didnt know how to properly use a katana. Still, holding that katana directly in front of you with an outstretched arm is RIDICULOUS.

Btw, afaik CP2077 will have a system in place that changes the animations and stuff as you become more proficient in the use of the weapon. How I would like this to affect a katana is that your effective cutting range should extend as you become more proficient in its use. You slice further away, control more space. This because of the footwork.

Last edited:
By becoming something like Dex: find out what the other party needs and arrange a deal. Also carrying a stun gun because not everyone can be reasoned with, stealth for the same reason (in case they are immune to stun) and a good amount of hacking to find the needs / dirt.

Oh, ok. That's a very well informed person to me, not a social butterfly.

I'm not impressed. The idle animation looks like the character is running around with a toy in hand. The attack animations look like the character is wildly swinging the sword around without much purpose. This seems contradictory for a weapon presumably built for it's brutal efficiency.

Perhaps this is a reflection of limited character proficiency. The problem I have there is it comes off as a poor representation there. I won't pretend to know how to effectively use a knife as a combat weapon. I sure as shit wouldn't be running and jumping with it while my arms are outstretched though. If anything I'd expect this perspective to apply to an even greater degree to a sword.

How about some double edged swords as well? I heard they were fairly effective for the rest of the world.

It looks decent enough even if it is just a 2-3 slash side to side animation with awkwardly long reach and little weight behind each strike. My only problem is that it looks like you're holding it out in front of your face like you're trying to ward off rats with an old wooden flame torch. If the default hold position was lower (so you didn't have 2/3rds of the hilt in the frame) then it would look a lot better. Right now it takes up too much of the screen which can be distracting. That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:
How about some double edged swords as well? I heard they were fairly effective for the rest of the world.
There is one thing I never got about lightsabars. How do you block/parry an attack from a non-lightsabar?

If someone is swinging an broadsword at your head, cutting the blade in half isn't going to stop the already fast moving blade from flying into your head.

A single edge lightsabar makes more sense IMHO. A cutting edge that goes through just about anything and a blocking/parrying edge that well … blocks and parries.

Ha, lightsabers. You are right though, Lucas wasn't Tolkien, he didn't think his universe out. Doesn't something like your scenario happen in Excalibur?
Maybe a lightsaber vs a metal sword is a metaphor for the ineffectiveness of a heavy cavalry saber vs a lighter double edged tool steel sword. I am looking forward to the swordplay none the less.

Like all first person games, I wonder why my eyes are in my neck. :p It's something I quickly forget while playing the game but it's always so much more noticeable when watching videos.

I wonder if Katana have force field build in them so they stop bullets??? since in few scenes you see how V hold katana in ko gasumi stance but she perfectly block bullets, that probably would hit her torso or legs with no problems.

Ha, lightsabers. You are right though, Lucas wasn't Tolkien, he didn't think his universe out. Doesn't something like your scenario happen in Excalibur?
Maybe a lightsaber vs a metal sword is a metaphor for the ineffectiveness of a heavy cavalry saber vs a lighter double edged tool steel sword. I am looking forward to the swordplay none the less.
Never heard of Excalibur - other than as part of Arthurian legend.

Lightsabar were always portray as some kind of ultimate weapon in personal defense - that's the way I saw it anway. That fact that you can't defend yourself against a regular sword seem like a huge (frankly unacceptable) weakness.

They aren't that great against blaster users who use their head a little either - just arrange 3 blasters in a triangle and there is no way for a lightsabar to block all 3 shots.

If that's what katana play is like I might prefer the mantis blades instead tbh... But it's a shame you can't have mantis blades & gorilla arms, gotta choose one or the other.

There is one thing I never got about lightsabars. How do you block/parry an attack from a non-lightsabar?

If someone is swinging an broadsword at your head, cutting the blade in half isn't going to stop the already fast moving blade from flying into your head.

A single edge lightsabar makes more sense IMHO. A cutting edge that goes through just about anything and a blocking/parrying edge that well … blocks and parries.

Depends on how heavy the blade is. A lighter sword needs to full continued force from the swing to actually continiue and cut, and considering most swords look more like lighter/katana types in star wars, the cut off blade would just lose all momentum and not actually do anything.

I guess if you managed to get a heavy enough blade, that would require significant strength to wield, then the cut off portion could do some damage, but its pretty unlikely.

And in the case of it actually doing damage, it would be superficial as there is no way you could swing it with enough momentum for it to actually do mortal damage.

This is all assuming your lucky enough for them to firstly wait to cut your sword up until you manage to go offensive and then forget they can use the force to stop the cut off piece in the first place AND you manage to swing it in a way the ends up with the piece going in the right direction

Last edited:
If that's what katana play is like I might prefer the mantis blades instead tbh... But it's a shame you can't have mantis blades & gorilla arms, gotta choose one or the other.
Wait, you can't have both? Damn. Hardest choice since Yennefer and Triss

Lol it is always Triss :D why would you pick Yenn :D but yeah both gorilla arms and mantis blades take same place in your arm, it would be weird to have both at same time.
Post automatically merged:

Also it look weird how he hold katana, like your arms are to much in to right side, it should be right in front of you.

Whether it's good or bad, i'm still going to enjoy tearing gangers into pieces with this precious thermal katana

Last edited:
I'm wondering what other melee weapons we'll see. I'd be disappointed is we only got katanas and hammers. I'd like some variety like machetes, daggers, kukri, clubs, bats, hatchets, batons, heck maybe even short swords and tonfa if we're feelin' fancy.
The narrow focus on katanas as the non-cybertech melee weapons is leaving me wondering what else we can expect that isn't an American weeb's wetdream.

Simply put: Yes, we know you have Japanese swords. What else you got?

We saw the Moxy bouncer holding a bat I believe. The recent preview journalists mentioned getting a dildo on stick type weapon as a mission reward. Sounds like we will at least have a few blunt weapons to play with in addition to the katanas.

1st 20 seconds of the video:
the gameplay shows startgame V, so there's no things like enhanced reflexes and speed or blocking bullets with katana

what do you think about the katana animations?
personally I'm glad to see that cdpr went with more of a flashy katana attack animations rather than clunkier realistic animations to fit the cyberninja character movements, however the slashes seems to be too small, not looking like you can cut too many enemies at once with them. it also feels kinda odd to see katana's constant middle guard, pointing the blade forward in 1st person while moving. the weirdest looking thing imo is how V stays in middle guard even while jumping. the animation of blocking and sprinting with katana is fine. I really like the life steal mechanic with it tho, encouraging katana player to be aggresive in combat, letting the gameplay be dynamic.

I'm wonder how it will look with 3rd person mod...
I find it fun to actually go into the game a bit blind also, to not see to much gameplay beforehand. and just know "it looks good"

Top Bottom