CP2077 Nuke Aftermath

+
CP2077 Nuke Aftermath

As we know, in the 4th corporate war a low yield tactical nuke was detonated at Arasaka Towers destroying the Corporate Center and much of downtown Night City. Places outside will be unaffected. This means that places like the Combat Zone, Afterlife joint, Forlorn Hope, Rancho Coronado, North Oak, Pacifica, Charter Hill, Japantown, Little China, Studio City, Heywood and Westbrook will not be much different. But when it comes to downtown Night City do you think that the same districts from 2020 still exist in 2077 and have just been rebuilt. If so do you think that the old businesses moved back in provided the owners escaped the explosion and the fallout. Or do you think most of the locations from the tabletop don't exist anymore. If so that would be a shame. I always wanted my character to have a drink at O'Flahertys Tavern.

TBH, I still cant wrap my head around this event.
Much of teh actors resided in down town, I think this was always the centre of the operations and information. So if the nuke went by, knocking on everyone's doors, we will experience a purge and a new power struggle caused by the vacuum.
Now that will be a major clusterfuck so to speak. Everyone at the carcass of the old hierarchy trying to tear the biggest piece. From the story point view - great times to be an agent. OPPORTUNITIES!

Question is: will they rebuild or change location?

Well, there's no real reason they couldn't rebuild.

Haul off the contaminated debris, put a layer of concrete with some lead mixed in over the hole, build away. OK, there won't be any parks downtown, but you can always put in planters with miniature trees and such.

(( I'm not going to get into the fact that it was basically a surface burst vs an air burst like was done in 1945 so there are other complications. But it's been years since the 4th Corporate War in 2077, look at how the cities in Japan have been rebuilt. ))

Last edited:
Actually the whole "Niking NC" is CPv3 stuff. In firestorm only Arasaka Tower was destroyed outright. Seismic shock would probably lower real estate prices in half a mile area, but there was no actual blast, fire ball, shockwave, radiation and the EMP burst. It was contained to the AT basement. Mike Pond... I mean Morgan Blackhand was trading blows with Adam Smasher on top of the collapsing Tower. For some reason Mike did all v3 stuff in v3 and killed Cyberpunk for the next 10 years :) So the damage to the city itself, even to the downtown area was minimal(ish). Something more or less like 9/11 but x10.

atomowyturysta;n10654001 said:
Actually the whole "Niking NC" is CPv3 stuff. In firestorm only Arasaka Tower was destroyed outright. Seismic shock would probably lower real estate prices in half a mile area, but there was no actual blast, fire ball, shockwave, radiation and the EMP burst. It was contained to the AT basement. Mike Pond... I mean Morgan Blackhand was trading blows with Adam Smasher on top of the collapsing Tower. For some reason Mike did all v3 stuff in v3 and killed Cyberpunk for the next 10 years :) So the damage to the city itself, even to the downtown area was minimal(ish). Something more or less like 9/11 but x10.

I guess I might be able to go to O'Flahertys Tavern after all then especially since v3 is now considered non canon by Mike, CDPR and us the fans. I cant remember Firestorm at all. It has been about 15 years since I've played the tabletop game but that is good info to go with.

After 57 years, the downtown could easily be rebuilt and relatively safe. The Hiroshima metropolitan area had a population of 2,043,788 in 2000 according to wikipedia, which is less than 57 years after the nuclear bomb there.

Rawls;n10659541 said:
After 57 years, the downtown could easily be rebuilt and relatively safe. The Hiroshima metropolitan area had a population of 2,043,788 in 2000 according to wikipedia, which is less than 57 years after the nuclear bomb there.

Oh, Rawls. Rawls, Rawls, Rawls, Rawls, Rawls. Rawls. Sigh.

Rawls.

AAAAAnnnnyway.

The nuclear demolition device (designed to remove major underground installations and wipe out small sections of cities - hey I have Firestorm and I read it recently!) set off at the base of the Arasaka Tower was sufficient to blow the foundations, drop the towers and smash up the Corp Center and nearby environs.

55 years later, (it happened in 2022), rebuilding means that CDPR can redesign Night City Downtown however they like. It also means, as Rawls says, (Rawls. Rawls, Rawls, Rawls. Tch) that enough time has elapsed no one glows in the dark unwillingly any more.

The precise extent of the damage from the Militech Nuke is left to the Ref to decide, but the sourcebook lists fairly thorough smashery from buildings falling into one another. It's also worth remembering, as I like to remind people who haven't played or read the sourcebook, that the Arasaka towers were powered themselves by a nuclear reactor, located in the same underground space the demo nuke is detonated in. Same level, same complex, a few yards away. Boom...splat.

So it fails, too. Whoopsie!

I think CPDR will keep a lot of the recognizable landmarks because, well, this forum is named after the Afterlife, the Forlorn Hope is our OT thread and a cursory look at the CDPR offices tells you they are using city names. They will probably also add new ones, move things around, etc.

Cool Classic Meets Awesome New, is the design plan, I think.

Sardukhar;n10660411 said:
Oh, Rawls. Rawls, Rawls, Rawls, Rawls, Rawls. Rawls. Sigh.
Rawls.
Yeah ... I know. I tried to make the point as succinctly and politely as one can.

Rawls;n10660441 said:
Yeah ... I know. I tried to make the point as succinctly and politely as one can.

Rawwwwwls, Rawls Rawls Rawls Rawls RawlsRawlsRawls, Rawwwls, Rawls Rawl Rawls Rawls Rawls. Rawls. Rawls Rawls Rawls Rawls Rawls Rawls Rawls, Rawls, Rawls, Rawls Rawls, Rawls Rawls. Rawls.

Edit: Rawls, Rawls, Rawls.

Sardukhar;n10660681 said:
Rawwwwwls, Rawls Rawls Rawls Rawls RawlsRawlsRawls, Rawwwls, Rawls Rawl Rawls Rawls Rawls. Rawls. Rawls Rawls Rawls Rawls Rawls Rawls Rawls, Rawls, Rawls, Rawls Rawls, Rawls Rawls. Rawls.

Edit: Rawls, Rawls, Rawls.
Always a touchy subject.
But he's right, there's nothing to stop them rebuilding if it was such a tiny nuke (and NO CLUE how to make one that small, 10-20 tons is as small as they get, and that'd take out a couple blocks) it essentially took out a single building.

And the reactor in the Arasaka Tower is essentially irrelevant as it'd be vaporized by the initial blast not "add" to it (tho it might slightly increase the amount of fallout).

Last edited:
Ideas for Cyberpunk 2077:
  • Let's have acid rains that damages clothing/armor and vehicles in areas where the nuke got detonated.
  • In rare occasions there would be very heavy radiation storms that makes everyone closer to these areas take cover behind objects or inside buildings. These storms would not only cause more damage than an average acid rain, but they would also have extremely fast winds that makes players walk slowly or even in rare opportunities be taken away by the storm (this effect would also happen with vehicles). The use of gasmasks could make the vision clearer to the player and reduce the damage taken.
  • If you want realism then players with open wounds under acid/radioactive rains or the heavy storms described early would be either more infected by radiation or would take damage points per second. The fun part is: if you get shot under these rains you would take more damage, but the same applies to your enemies. (The more critical the wound is, more damage you'll take in both acid rain and heavy radiation storm occasions).
  • Another idea is to make some cyberware and other eletronic equipment not work properly or work unpredictably when close to areas affected by the nuke's radiation since that's what actually happens in real life.
  • And to make these areas darker due to the radiation in the atmosphere, and considering that other areas would have day/night cicle then makes radiation infected areas to only have nights.
  • There would be stealth bonuses on both "average acid rain" and "heavy radiation storm" circumstances, where the latter would create higher stealth bonus while being harder to identify enemies at the same time.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n10661151 said:
Ideas for Cyberpunk 2077:
You do realize it's been 50 years?
While your ideas might (maybe, sorta, kinda) make sense for a couple years after (if the nuke wasn't so tiny) I'd really rather not see CP2077 become Fallout2077.
Besides ... Cyberpunk has cyborgs and AIs and and punkers and lawyers ... who needs mutants?

But hey! Forward them to Bethesda (they need all the help they can get).

Suhiira;n10661241 said:
You do realize it's been 50 years?

"In the year 2077 where pollution is rampage, it's implausible for a nuke affected region to have acid rain and heavy storms."

If the possibility of having changes to Cyberpunk scares you, perhaps you should be prepared to any CP2077 implementations made by CDPR.

Suhiira;n10661241 said:
I'd really rather not see CP2077 become Fallout2077. Cyberpunk has cyborgs and AIs and and punkers and lawyers ... who needs mutants?

Staying totally true to the lore goes against new ideas. There's some "evidence"pointing that CDPR is creating their own thing in CP2077.
The only thing that's an aftermath to 50 years after a nuke is social, cultural and economical changes as it is evidenced by Japan after WWII, fun isn't it? No destruction nor radiation will be left after 50 years, in reality. But in a video game, you can do whatever you want to realistically explain the presence of debris and heavy radioactive storms 50 years after a nuke detonation, especially in a chaotic world with advanced nuclear weapons and high levels of polution.

I REALLY hope CDPR doesn't do giant robots.
Kewl as they are they make zero sense from a physics point of view simply because given their mass and the size of their foot pads they'd sink into the ground on anything but heavily reinforced concrete, there's a reason tanks have tracks not wheels (MUCH larger surface area in contact with the ground to distribute their mass across).

It'd come pretty close to breaking it for me if CDPR goes all Science Fantasy.

Now a roughly man-sized suit of "Battledress" I could handle as long as it doesn't mass much more then about 1/4-1/2 ton, because if it did you could forget ever being able to walk on the upper floors of buildings because of the same problem, the "feet" are to small to distribute that amount of mass.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10661651 said:
I REALLY hope CDPR doesn't do giant robots.
Kewl as they are they make zero sense from a physics point of view simply because given their mass and the size of their foot pads they'd sink into the ground on anything but heavily reinforced concrete, there's a reason tanks have tracks not wheels (MUCH larger surface area in contact with the ground to distribute their mass across).

Now a roughly man-sized suit of "Battledress" I could handle as long as it doesn't mass much more then about 1/4-1/2 ton, because if it did you could forget ever being able to walk on the upper floors of buildings because of the same problem, the "feet" are to small to distribute that amount of mass.

I assume you red Maximum Metal, yes? We had Battle Suits then, walking tanks and whatnot. But they were used in battlefield, vacuum or in enviro-hazardous situations. They were a RARE sight in the city. Except, you know, the rich can do whatever they want :) I wouldnt mind to jump into one in a portion of the game just to wreck justified havoc ;D

wisielec;n10662331 said:
I assume you red Maximum Metal, yes?
Read it and exercised GM prerogative to ignore most of it.
They'd go great in "Shadowrun" but I wanted my Cyberpunk campaign to be grounded in "reality" ( thus my frequent differences of opinion with Sardukhar ).

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10661651 said:

CDPR should really stay grounded to reality in their adaptation to Cyberpunk 2020, a game with flying cars, virtual realities that have all sensorial experiences and cyberwares that can be implanted in your brain to make you smarter and more agile, oh and let's not forget the super realistic cyberpsychosis, a condition caused by excessive use of cyberwares that makes the individual more empathetic to machines and less to humans.

Last edited:
Least we forget - Into the Wild :)
Cyberpunk 2020 had nomad version of interstate which looked grimly as hell and often than not resembled Mad Max than anything else... what a monster of a sentence in its own right, sorry.

Lisbeth_Salander;n10669001 said:
CDPR should really stay grounded to reality in their adaptation to Cyberpunk 2020, a game with flying cars, virtual realities that have all sensorial experiences and cyberwares that can be implanted in your brain to make you smarter and more agile, oh and let's not forget the super realistic cyberpsychosis, a condition caused by excessive use of cyberwares that makes the individual more empathetic to machines and less to humans.
But we've discussed most of these topics here in these forums, and while most wouldn't be as "convenient" as Cyberpunk makes them (landing what's essentially a Harrier jet, an AV-4, in the city streets would be "interesting" and hard on the asphalt pavement) they're "reasonable", or a necessary limitation (in the case of cyberpsychosis).

Last edited:
Suhiira;n10670781 said:
But we've discussed most of these topics here in these forums, and while most wouldn't be as "convenient" as Cyberpunk makes them (landin g what's essentially a Harrier jet, an AV-4, in the city streets would be "interesting" and hard on the asphalt pavement) they're "reasonable", or a necessary limitation (in the case of cyberpsychosis).

One of the things I think we shouldn't be so strict about is the whole weight and pavement thing.

From the images we've seen so far, it already looks like some sort of large mech/suit thing will exist, or at least, they intended for it to exist at some point early in development. I think there are far better things to be concerned about than something as (in my opinion) silly and inconsequential as how heavy a mech is going to be on pavement. Why does it matter? Same thing goes for the player being decked out in metal-plated body armor (not without its weakpoints and not bulletproof, necessarily).

Sure, it can be heavy, it can slow you down and make maneuvering more difficult, but having the player fall through the floor because of it? Seems a little pointless to me. What actual gameplay purpose would that serve other than to irritate somebody?

I mostly agree with you regarding your realism arguments, but here my opinion diverges a bit.

Top Bottom