CP2077 really hates mirrors

+
You would think that a basic mirror would still exist in a world in 2077.

This game has make a hassle if you wanna see yourself in anyway in this world. I remember one review told that "yes you will see yourself from mirrors and there's few cut scenes where V is visible.

I would way that was a big NOPE. The is only ONE cut scene where you can see yourself and that is in the end when the game end.

Even the car mirrors are gone in this game. There is a camera on both sides of the car side mirrors should be. And if there is a mirror on the streets or in apartments / bathrooms, they are gray "electric" mirrors. And huge load times until you see yourself.

But when you hack cameras, you can actually see yourself just fine and there's never bugs or glitches with the outfits. Why the normal mirrors are so hard? Is it because they wanted that funny "bug mirror" with johnny to appear randomly? Only CDPR knows.

It’s even getting better when you turn on Ray tracing reflections.

Nothing can hide from them, game looks beautiful but then you realize that reflections for PC has been turn off like completely.

I was like: why?
And pls don’t write that there was something wrong with the game (CDPR statement).
This something wrong was probably fact that V has barley any animations.

I’m really shock that shadows were not turn off.
such an overlook!

I'm going to talk out of my ass here, but I believe it has something to do with multiplying the refraction of light shooting every where and requiring a ridiculous amount of rendering. So yes, it is hidden behind needing to be activated. This honestly isn't a Cyberpunk thing, it's a video game issue in general.

I think the mirror reflection all the time being active has a lot of impact in the system so they decided to do that animation thing.

I'd say it's because V just walks weirdly and moves weirdly. If you'd see yourself walk like that in mirror it would just took down the aspect of realism. (For example, V's shadow - you can't see how weirdly he/she is animated).
But that doesn't mean I'd not love more cutscenes showing me V, it really doesn't break the immersion, it would actually made it better cause I often feel I play as a floating camera, not a person.

You ever see the shadow for the player character??

Is that representative of how we actually look or is it bugged? The things a monstrosity especially if you got cybernetics

I know what you mean. So "no mirrors" was a decision CDPR made early on, so they did not even bother with V's animations. I mean there's some that work fine but the shadow shows a lot of glitching.

Would this game been better if there was not that much V's appearance editing in the beginning menu? I think it would have been smoother experience if you could have just choose ready made model the a custom V. Same with clothes.

I'm going to talk out of my ass here, but I believe it has something to do with multiplying the refraction of light shooting every where and requiring a ridiculous amount of rendering. So yes, it is hidden behind needing to be activated. This honestly isn't a Cyberpunk thing, it's a video game issue in general.
about RT reflections: Yet Wolfenstein Young Blood and Control didn’t have problem with this.
You would say yeah but they are closed game, and here my trump card
Watch Dogs Legion didn’t have this problem.

Because this is a beauty of this technology it’s just do everything by itself. You just need to turn it on and tensor cores are doing the rest. Ofc with bit of proper coding that is already in the game since game looks stunning with RT.

For me answer is far more cliche: they just didn’t make V to by fully animated, and this would be seen in mirrors.
so only time you can use the in one controllable scene and this is special mirrors, where V is always in one position.

Moxy3

Forum regular
I know what you mean. So "no mirrors" was a decision CDPR made early on, so they did not even bother with V's animations. I mean there's some that work fine but the shadow shows a lot of glitching.

Would this game been better if there was not that much V's appearance editing in the beginning menu? I think it would have been smoother experience if you could have just choose ready made model the a custom V. Same with clothes.
God i cant even watch this without cringing and shaking my head.. its really pathetic what this game has become..

You ever see the shadow for the player character??

Is that representative of how we actually look or is it bugged? The things a monstrosity especially if you got cybernetics
Sometimes I've seen myself T-pose across the badlands. There were also no footstep sounds for that duration. so no, I think the janky walking is not bugged.
Btw, what I noticed, seeing as how I have a V with long hair... my shadow was always bald

In earlier versions of CP2077 I would also miss my hair in the mirror. Sometimes naked, that's mostly fixed now.

Also have the "no footsteps" if you run and jump around. V just looses the animation to running overall, if you look your legs.

Not to go offtoppic too much, but how this game ever got through the test players? :D

Also V looks too much downwards in the mirror.

Mirrors are insanely computationally expensive because the are scene space reflections which is pretty much a no go with modern rendering techniques.

The interactive mirrors in the game are essentially another viewport which renders the scene from another perspective.

Ray tracing is actually the cheapest way of getting proper scene space reflections today, there's a reason why your FPS drops when you view the mirror.

As far as issues with the model, Cyberpunk used a unified TPP/FPP model, in FPP you have no head it's it's only there for the initial shadow pass which does mean you have a head that is rendered into the shadow buffer but after that your head isn't there.

That's why when you switch to a TPP mode e.g. a bike there can be are pop-in for your head and headgear when you see those assets being streamed and loaded.

The delay is likely a glitch due to your head not having a higher priority than other assets in the game.

You don't see that when hacking cameras because there's enough time for your head to load properly.

In earlier versions of CP2077 I would also miss my hair in the mirror. Sometimes naked, that's mostly fixed now.

Also have the "no footsteps" if you run and jump around. V just looses the animation to running overall, if you look your legs.

Not to go offtoppic too much, but how this game ever got through the test players? :D

Also V looks too much downwards in the mirror.
Yup, I've had those things happen too. And the if you think the apartment mirrors are bad, wait till you see the Nomad tent mirror.

Mirrors are insanely computationally expensive because the are scene space reflections which is pretty much a no go with modern rendering techniques.

The interactive mirrors in the game are essentially another viewport which renders the scene from another perspective.

Ray tracing is actually the cheapest way of getting proper scene space reflections today, there's a reason why your FPS drops when you view the mirror.

As far as issues with the model, Cyberpunk used a unified TPP/FPP model, in FPP you have no head it's it's only there for the initial shadow pass which does mean you have a head that is rendered into the shadow buffer but after that your head isn't there.

That's why when you switch to a TPP mode e.g. a bike there can be are pop-in for your head and headgear when you see those assets being streamed and loaded.

The delay is likely a glitch due to your head not having a higher priority than other assets in the game.

You don't see that when hacking cameras because there's enough time for your head to load properly.
Yet Watch Dog Legion went all in with reflections loaded reflective surfaces. On 3080 max/ultra setting on 4K with with dlss on I get 40-50fps, not the smoothest experience but hell its the most mind blowing one.

While for CP77 it’s expensive?

then you realize that reflections for PC has been turn off like completely.

I was like: why?

Because V looks like this:
3.jpg

Not every mirror can handle this :D

Mirrors are insanely computationally expensive

1st person Xbox 360 game released in 2007, "The Darkness", managed to do it somehow:

maxresdefault.jpg

Because V looks like this:
View attachment 11125205

Not every mirror can handle this :D

1st person Xbox 360 game released in 2007, "The Darkness", managed to do it somehow:

View attachment 11125214

Viewport mirrors are insanely expensive the more complex the scene is the more expensive they are since you are essentially rendering it twice. Duke3D also had Scene Space reflections, the darkness barely had any shaders on most materials in CP2077 every object has like 20 different material shaders...

This isn't unique to Cyberpunk mirrors and scene space reflections disappeared over the past 10-15 years from games because how expensive they are not because developers can't make mirrors.

Viewport mirrors are insanely expensive the more complex the scene is the more expensive they are since you are essentially rendering it twice
Maybe, but still they could add a few old-fashon mirrors with planar reflections technology, which every game uses for mirrors and other reflecting surfaces.
Nah, my guess the main reason is that V model and animations are just not done good enough for showing him somewhere beyond scripted cutscenes

Top Bottom