CP77 Gameplay Lenght for Each Class and Delivery Model?

+
Issue with replay is that it's still the same story. Which I've played. And as good as that story may be, I'd rather not replay it, even with serious changes due to Role or choice in game, until the first experience has faded. Otherwise it really feels like a replay.

So I'd pick a longer game, a big, BIG main story and lots of sub stories, perhaps ones dependent on Role or influenced heavily by Role.

Pretty much this. And I definately don't play to see different endings and choices (unless it's the choose a button in the end). Even if i replay years later I mostly make same choices because they're mine and what feels right to me in those situations. It's not like now I'm roleplaying arsehole or saint.

Gotta agree, rather see a long game with lots to do, than a short game that is over before it feels like its begun.

An open world game should never feel like a level based game... the story should never be short... as it;s really a different process altogether. With a level based game, you have to program for each level the objectives and path becuase each level the world resets to a new thing, bound and gagged and restricted to what you can access at that time.

In an open world game the whole world is laid out, and the possibilities for missions and activities within that frame work is near limitless.

Granted some people have ADD, and if they can't finish the game quickly they get bored. But for me, the longer you can put out quality expereinces in an environement, the better the game is.

Give me fallout, sleeping dogs, or GTA over hitman or deus ex or the last of us, any and every day of the week. Give me the ability to enjoy the world at my own pace when not on a mission, to truly get the most out of the developers hard work, and to have my character live the life I choose for them, than a short totally scripted bullshit life. No matter how compelling the story may be in a level base game, it's not my story, it never will be. The choices are always artificial, because I have no agency in the game world to truly do whatever I wish. And RDR, GTA, and Sleeping Dogs more than prove you can tell every bit as compelling a story in an open world setting as with a scripted level based one... it just means you don't have to rely on cut scenes to tell your story for you as much, which is also a bonus as far as I am concerned.

Gotta agree, rather see a long game with lots to do, than a short game that is over before it feels like its begun.

An open world game should never feel like a level based game... the story should never be short... as it;s really a different process altogether. With a level based game, you have to program for each level the objectives and path becuase each level the world resets to a new thing, bound and gagged and restricted to what you can access at that time.

In an open world game the whole world is laid out, and the possibilities for missions and activities within that frame work is near limitless.

Granted some people have ADD, and if they can't finish the game quickly they get bored. But for me, the longer you can put out quality expereinces in an environement, the better the game is.

Give me fallout, sleeping dogs, or GTA over hitman or deus ex or the last of us, any and every day of the week. Give me the ability to enjoy the world at my own pace when not on a mission, to truly get the most out of the developers hard work, and to have my character live the life I choose for them, than a short totally scripted bullshit life. No matter how compelling the story may be in a level base game, it's not my story, it never will be. The choices are always artificial, because I have no agency in the game world to truly do whatever I wish. And RDR, GTA, and Sleeping Dogs more than prove you can tell every bit as compelling a story in an open world setting as with a scripted level based one... it just means you don't have to rely on cut scenes to tell your story for you as much, which is also a bonus as far as I am concerned.

I don't think it's about having ADD, it's about things derailing or artificially lengthening the game. There is a place, for example, in this game or games like GTA for errands that have nothing to do with the character, doing things for others that have nothing to do with our character's journey, but everything, I think, has a limit. Take for instance how another kind of entertainment industry works: comic books. You pretty much have more condensed books that just get done with the story and publications that began running in the 1930s to 1960s. Bear in mind that today I'm not talking about the legitimacy of certain business practices, but how relevant the stories told in these publications are to their character, when you confront a new stage of a character or group of characters that has long since been through the last relevant event in his or her career, don't you ask yourself "am I just reading an adventure or even the same adventure from the pile of irrelevant adventures?".

An open world game should never feel like a level based game... the story should never be short... as it;s really a different process altogether.

But you have to agree, there's nothing worse than a boring story, right? I mean, of what use is a long story if it doesn't captivate you?

That was what ruined Fallout 3 for me. That is why I never played Skyrim.

You are right with the own pace thingy. But the quality has to be there don't you think?

But you have to agree, there's nothing worse than a boring story, right? I mean, of what use is a long story if it doesn't captivate you?

You are right with the own pace thingy. But the quality has to be there don't you think?

Absolutely, I am just baffled, and somewhat sick, of the idea that a story has to be short, a game has to be confined and linear, for the story to be any good.

Couldn't agree more, Gogol, you old son of a b****. ;)

The chances are, the longer the game is, the more it has absolutely unnecessary, boring filler content and less choices to make because it takes a tremendous amount of work (just look at Fallout 3, no choices to make what-so-ever, everyone plays the same game more or less). We have to be realistic, we're not going to see a game that has 100-hour campaigns for every role. It's simply never going to happen for reasons of amount of work and money required.

What I would like, is a game that would have several short campaign that would look at the same main story and support each other, from a different perspective and allow for real roleplaying. Same main story from the point of a Solo, a Fixer, a Corp, a Cop and a Nomad for example. Now that would be f****** cool.

Couldn't agree more, Gogol, you old son of a b****. ;)

The chances are, the longer the game is, the more it has absolutely unnecessary, boring filler content and less choices to make because it takes a tremendous amount of work (just look at Fallout 3, no choices to make what-so-ever, everyone plays the same game more or less). We have to be realistic, we're not going to see a game that has 100-hour campaigns for every role. It's simply never going to happen for reasons of amount of work and money required.

Oh biollocks, SR2 got frustrating with some of the activities difficulty level, but it was never boring. The dating and freindship maintenence in GTA 4 sucked balls, but the story missions never once bored me. And Fallout NV proves you wrong. Yeah Fallout 3, got boring, but NV never did. , and the choices you made had serious impact on the way the world treated you and the way the game played out.

I don't mind a wee bit of similiar mission styles if they are fun. What I hate are bullshit repetition missions where you just grind shit out... Like the "follow the asshole without getting spotted" missions in Assassins Creed. Or every single thing you do in Just Cause.

In CP 2077 you will likely have roles, those roles determine your profession... and having a job means repetitious activity... it's just that solo's nomads and cops get to do fun shit, while other roles get to sit around being passive.

I hope for a long game, as I've said, but I've been bored in fallout New Vegas, GTA and SR2 started by boring me. So did SR 3, but it got amusing fast. Aand then boring.

I'm not sure that's a lnegth issue, though, more gameplay and writing. Only time CDPR has ever bored me is in the now-distant swamp bits, second pass. They get narrative.

They.Get.Narrative.

Yes but you get so bored you start arguing with people you agree with just to give yourself something to do.

Everything bores you. I am boring you right now.

You are the dictionary example of gamer ADD. :p

Actually, I am rarely bored. My life is..very not lacking in stimulation. I wish. Especially in summer. This week alone has been sixteen kinds of fun.

I have a low tolerance for un-amusing activity. If a TV show or game starts to drag, a little mental timer starts up in my brain and when it goes ding, I stop and do something more entertaining. Maybe it's the 70 hour work weeks right now that make that time precious, but either way, life is too short to waste waiting for my entertainment to be entertaining.

I think my number one question for CDPR, actually, is, what Roles are going to make the cut, if any?

I really think that will tell us a lot about how the game is going to go.

Top Bottom