CP77 sold 13 million copies on all platforms including refunds

+
I'd argue you are within the vast minority here. The numbers certainly seem to back it up.

I'm not one to say the game is perfect, it isn't. It's not what was advertised and the fiasco of the last gen launch certainly hurt them. Yet, the game is a huge commercial success.

Agree fully
I honestly think now the instant pop of being trendy to bash the game and company over
more and more people seeing the whining and bitching for what it really was
Triple so when you add in todays headlines about how mad they all are that they dont get to keep playing the game after getting their refunds.

I called it entitlement from day one and they proving that to be just the case.
So as more time goes by
less and less people will be influenced by the complainers.
Their complaints either been disproven or fixed now.

If they continue to keep trying to bring down game
It will only expose themselves and their agenda

Now they've got two choices.

1. They can abandon their game and move on. Further alienating gamers and damaging their reputation even more. Consequently, any future project's sales would be diminished by that. That's the type of shit you can expect from the likes of EA.

or

2. They can follow their original plan. Improve on the game, fix their reputation and keep generating revenue through eventual DLCs and sales that can fund their next projects.

My money is on number 2.

Mine as well is on #2
In fact Number one is not a option imo as #1 means disappointing their core fanbase
And I just dont see CDPR doing that to fans that been with them from day 1
For a loud complaining group that will just jump to the next bright shinny topic of the day in a blink of an eye

So even if you ignore the 13 million sales (which completely validates more CP2077 coming
CDPR knows at the end of the day their core fan base is their lifeblood for their company.
Not saying they get preferential treatment, because we do not
But when it comes to being forced to pick the core fan base or the bandwagon jumpers
I think CDPR would look more to the core fan base for direction and meaningful feedback/suggestions.

You can disagree all you want, time will tell, but one is a short term solution with potentially disastrous results and the other is a long term solution that will cost you more immediately but give you a higher return eventually.

I'm oversimplifying, but you get the gist of it. Judging from your posts around here, I think we'll just agree to disagree on this.

Lots of people like that right now sadly :(
The VERY VOCAL MINORITY it seems
I hate to side with tin foil hat conspiracy theorists
But apart of me cant help wondering if ALLOT of the negative responses not planned or manufactured.
I noticed a really hard push to try and paint CDPR in a bad light leading up to release
A number of gaming sites were running just blatantly untrue stories about CDPR in general.

Always wondered what was in it for them to be doing this
Now we see an absolutely outlandish response to some launch day bugs when I could list 10 games with far more buggy at launch titles that got almost no attention what so ever.

The over response to CP2077 launch (complaints, stock falling, death threats, now possible law suits) all seem just so over the top and ludacris that you cant help but wonder what's really driving it.

Thank you for this. I really hope CDPR can ride out this storm and give us the intended version of the game in time. And i really need to check things first before i speak my mind. :p

Don't sweat it, you didn't argue and make up arguments or get mad when someone told you otherwise. It's more than can be said for most people.

There are reports and phone calls transcripts that show Devs being mad af at upper management. Wouldnt be surprised if there will be a mass exodus from CDPR... Maybe Respawn Entertainment 2.0? You know, devs split from CDPR and create their own?

Doubt it, not that many studios in Poland. None of CDPR's size or pedigree ... ex-pedigree. Ultimately, working for CDPR means you'll potentially work on two incredible IPs. Assuming CDPR fixes CP2077. I'm not worried, as long as CDPR gets their shit together. Giving the devs their bonuses no matter the reception the game received was a good move.

Honestly, the problems with the game seem to be entirely down to the terrible, terrible management at CDPR. Methinks the real devs (you know, the people actually making the game) ought to take a hint from Cyberpunk 2077 and ... do away with their corporate overlords. “Oust them”, if you know what I mean, and turn it into a cooperative.
Yea, that's not that easily done in a publicly traded company... they could go on strike, risking the magenemnt just drump a a couple of them and hire new talent (they surely got the money now), or just up and leave to make their own company, but since most of their old talent already left some time after Witcher 3... not that great of an option either.
Post automatically merged:

The over response to CP2077 launch (complaints, stock falling, death threats, now possible law suits) all seem just so over the top and ludacris that you cant help but wonder what's really driving it.
Depends on who you ask... the media is just latching on and playing up whatever generates the most clicks, be it hype or hate, doesn't really matter. Many "games journalists" (TM) and twitteronies are also still abit p*ssed at CDPR for not kowtowing to their various ideologies and sociopolitical agendas, not sufficiently, at least. CDPR also makes a great target for escalation there, since they are no US/CA company, so they aren't as protected by industry power structures as, say, EA or Activision.

...and for many of the fans - especially those that very closely followed the games development and marketing for nearly 8 years now... me included - it's mostly just plain old disappointment... with a slice of disillusion and a small helping of feeling betrayed by their favorite development studio.

Last edited:
Honestly, the problems with the game seem to be entirely down to the terrible, terrible management at CDPR. Methinks the real devs (you know, the people actually making the game) ought to take a hint from Cyberpunk 2077 and ... do away with their corporate overlords. “Oust them”, if you know what I mean, and turn it into a cooperative. Those at the top had their fun and their time in the sun but if nothing else this launch made clear that they no longer care about the games first and foremost but merely their own profit (especially since THEY are actually the plurality shareholders themselves).
Anyway, if this were done there is no doubt in my mind that the next game we would get after that, whatever it might be, would top all their previous works. Given the devs’ passion for the craft itself they would actually release it “when it’s ready”, too.

I believe Jason Schreier did unearth something about devs being quite angry at the management because they released the game even though devs said it was far from ready and that they had more content to put in but had to cut corners because of unrealistic deadlines.

If this is true, it can explain why some things or even most things do feel incomplete and im not talking about bugs or glitches, but about content that were advertised past year or two.

Like the life paths. Ive only played nomad and corpo. To summarize how i think the plan was from the beginning for these two paths.

NOMAD: originally you were to start the game with an intro about the life of a nomad and its perks, get introduction to your family/gang and feel the warmth. Go around a camp lets say and get a backstory from conversations with members and so on maybe do some smaller missions. Your leader hands you a smuggling mission later on, to meet someone named Jackie near the border to night city but first you all were to meet this snake gang which would most likely result in some kind of hostile takeover or your own family turning against you because you wouldnt "bend the knee" that results with you fleeing from the scene (because they turned on you), in your car that breaks down later on where you find that shop and try to fix it. This is where you then stand in front of the mirror throwing the patch away either because you feel betrayed as f*ck which can explain the bitter tone in Vs voice when asked about it. That willie(?) dude when climbing that radio tower helps you one last time because you were good friends before the shit went down. This backstory were probably meant to play a bigger role later on in the game where some characters from your former gang would turn up.

CORPO: You were probably meant to experience that frankfurt disaster or get an introduction to it gameplay wise. Then meet up with jenkins and get that mission to kill abernathy. Meet up with jackie, plan the whole thing, also get introduced to T-bug under this time and meet other people and execute the plan only to learn that in the midst of it, jenkins betrayed you and sold you out because frankfurt was your fault, and then jenkins made it look like you wanted to kill abernathy as well. By selling you out like this, he could bury the hatchet with abernathy but actually kills her himself and makes it look like it was you.(psychopath manipulation lol). Jackie and T-bug saves your ass and you all get away. He would most likely turn up again later in the game somehow, and you would get the chance to get it resolved or something like revenge.

This is at least the feeling i got when i played these life paths.

I believe Jason Schreier did unearth something about devs being quite angry at the management because they released the game even though devs said it was far from ready and that they had more content to put in but had to cut corners because of unrealistic deadlines.

If this is true, it can explain why some things or even most things do feel incomplete and im not talking about bugs or glitches, but about content that were advertised past year or two.

Like the life paths. Ive only played nomad and corpo. To summarize how i think the plan was from the beginning for these two paths.

NOMAD: originally you were to start the game with an intro about the life of a nomad and its perks, get introduction to your family/gang and feel the warmth. Go around a camp lets say and get a backstory from conversations with members and so on maybe do some smaller missions. Your leader hands you a smuggling mission later on, to meet someone named Jackie near the border to night city but first you all were to meet this snake gang which would most likely result in some kind of hostile takeover or your own family turning against you because you wouldnt "bend the knee" that results with you fleeing from the scene (because they turned on you), in your car that breaks down later on where you find that shop and try to fix it. This is where you then stand in front of the mirror throwing the patch away either because you feel betrayed as f*ck which can explain the bitter tone in Vs voice when asked about it. That willie(?) dude when climbing that radio tower helps you one last time because you were good friends before the shit went down. This backstory were probably meant to play a bigger role later on in the game where some characters from your former gang would turn up.

CORPO: You were probably meant to experience that frankfurt disaster or get an introduction to it gameplay wise. Then meet up with jenkins and get that mission to kill abernathy. Meet up with jackie, plan the whole thing, also get introduced to T-bug under this time and meet other people and execute the plan only to learn that in the midst of it, jenkins betrayed you and sold you out because frankfurt was your fault, and then jenkins made it look like you wanted to kill abernathy as well. By selling you out like this, he could bury the hatchet with abernathy but actually kills her himself and makes it look like it was you.(psychopath manipulation lol). Jackie and T-bug saves your ass and you all get away. He would most likely turn up again later in the game somehow, and you would get the chance to get it resolved or something like revenge.

This is at least the feeling i got when i played these life paths.
Yup, all of that makes more or less sense... well, we'll see if the managment will listen now to what their dev teams have to say. Won't hold my breath, though.

I can only speak for myself: the game is so good that I'm willing to stick with it while the bugs are being worked out, within reason. If the 8 mb save bug is never fixed, that would be a problem, obviously.

Not only am I willing to continue my support as long as it is reciprocated by CDPR, but I will be eager for DLC, even paid. Just as long as I can continue with V. Don't make me start a new character; it's all about V for me.

Even with all the backlash the game is selling more than most games. I really don't think they will abandon the game at this state since the sales will just keep rising even more once the expansion packs, multiplayer, complete editions, and that TV show gets released.

I'm not certain big sales numbers are good news.

Cyberpunk 2077 being a financial success is entirely on the backs of expectations built by the Witcher 3 and a marketing campaign that promised a lot more than what was actually delivered. 40% of those sales were to console owners who paid full price for a product that was open beta quality. Cyberpunk 2077 has had the worst launch for a AAA game in recent memory, and with good reason. This is worse than Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem.

CD Projekt Red needs to get this game fixed or there is going to be little excitement going into a Cyberpunk 2, and a lot less trust as well for a day 1 purchase of TW4.

The company could very well end up in a situation similar to Bioware where people are hoping their next game will be good, but not confident it will be. That may not bode well for preorders.

I'm not certain big sales numbers are good news.

Cyberpunk 2077 being a financial success is entirely on the backs of expectations built by the Witcher 3 and a marketing campaign that promised a lot more than what was actually delivered. 40% of those sales were to console owners who paid full price for a product that was open beta quality. Cyberpunk 2077 has had the worst launch for a AAA game in recent memory, and with good reason. This is worse than Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem.

CD Projekt Red needs to get this game fixed or there is going to be little excitement going into a Cyberpunk 2, and a lot less trust as well for a day 1 purchase of TW4.

The company could very well end up in a situation similar to Bioware where people are hoping their next game will be good, but not confident it will be. That may not bode well for preorders.

First, let's be fair, Andromeda had a better launch. It had bugs out the wazoo and was fairly generic but it was feature complete and worked for most. Anthem had a worse launch. Anthem was an empty shell. It was a proof of concept at best and a terribly buggy one at that. CP2077 is somewhere in the middle.

Secondly, I wouldn't say it's all because of TW3 and the marketing. I believe the company's reputation also helped tremendously. Thing is, they've damaged all of that. No one is gonna believe their future marketing, no one care about their great rep or the fact TW3 is a masterpiece. It will hurt their future sales. They know all of that. That is why they've acknowledged it and why they need to fix the game. Big sale numbers can only contribute to that.

First, let's be fair, Andromeda had a better launch. It had bugs out the wazoo and was fairly generic but it was feature complete and worked for most. Anthem had a worse launch. Anthem was an empty shell. It was a proof of concept at best and a terribly buggy one at that. CP2077 is somewhere in the middle.

Secondly, I wouldn't say it's all because of TW3 and the marketing. I believe the company's reputation also helped tremendously. Thing is, they've damaged all of that. No one is gonna believe their future marketing, no one care about their great rep or the fact TW3 is a masterpiece. It will hurt their future sales. They know all of that. That is why they've acknowledged it and why they need to fix the game. Big sale numbers can only contribute to that.

Fully agree on Andromeda. It was a boring game with some animation jank, but otherwise it functioned just fine. Gameplay was mostly solid.

I have to disagree about Anthem however. Sure, it had more problems than Andromeda but nothing close to the controversy Cd Projekt Red is now in. Anthem was in a better state on base consoles than Cyberpunk currently is and Anthem's launch didn't result in lawsuit threats from investors or full refunds from Sony or Xbox.

Cyberpunk 2077 is really in a category all it's own for bad launches.

Cd Projekt's Red's reputation was built primarily on the Witcher 3. TW2 was a good game, but had nowhere near the success of TW3. TW1 was very niche.

Guest 4375874

Good news. Hope they can parlay that into Cyberpunk 2.
Hopefully this means the vocal negative few don't represent the majority. I'm certainly looking forward to night city expansions and seeing the game polished further so this is good news.

they would be polishing a turd at this point, sorry for the expression. fix the bugs sure, but dont waste resources on any DLC imo, people are already very negative on this game, also all DLC needs to work on xbox one and PS4 imo just skip it, and go CP2 for nexgen systems.

"Listen to the General every god**** word!"
"How many ways can you polish up a turd!"
This song reminds me of cyberpunk2077 lore...
cyberpunk2077 like a prophet, and so is this song xD
<3

I have to disagree about Anthem however. Sure, it had more problems than Andromeda but nothing close to the controversy Cd Projekt Red is now in. Anthem was in a better state on base consoles than Cyberpunk currently is and Anthem's launch didn't result in lawsuit threats from investors or full refunds from Sony or Xbox.

Yet Anthem was shit canned completely. Probably never to reappear. I know they say 2.0 is still in the works but I doubt it's going to turn out great if it ever come out. Already plenty of development drama surrounding it. These players now have a 60$+ paper weight.

CP2077 will still be playable in 5 years from now, even if CDPR disappeared.

The lawsuit threat against CDPR, I doubt it's even going to go through but that's another story and unrelated to the actual quality of the game.

The refunds are objectively bad, I'll agree, yet we're talking about a very small minority actually making use of them if those numbers are to be believed. If people aren't actually making use of the refund option, can we really consider it that bad?

Furthermore, if you look at the actual game's quality it's just miles ahead of Anthem.

Take a PC copy of CP2077 and a PC copy of Anthem and tell me Anthem had a better launch. It was an empty shell. Bugs galore, loading screens galore (and god help you without an SSD), poor writing (for what little there was), bad itemization, poor netcode and the combat was shallow and didn't feel satisfying at all. Flying around in a mech was awesome for a whole 5 minutes then you realized, that's about all there was to it.

Cd Projekt's Red's reputation was built primarily on the Witcher 3. TW2 was a good game, but had nowhere near the success of TW3. TW1 was very niche.

Agreed, TW3 is where CDPR really shone but that doesn't negate the work they did on both TW2 and TW1. The final versions of both games are night and day compared to the release versions and that says a lot.

Last edited:
Yes and, obviously, they can't add everything. It's impossible but there are some that are just much more important than others and have a much bigger impact. It'll be up to CDPR to choose which one they can and can't do and up to gamers to decide whether that's enough or not.

The next few months could be crucial for CP's future
I want them to spend next year or two improving CP77 on top of DLCs and expansions for sure. I hope it happens. They improved Witcher 2 when they were a smaller company, I'm sure they can do that in case of CP77 too with their almost unlimited resources now. But it's not only about the game itself. It's also about image of the company.

Good news. Hope they can parlay that into Cyberpunk 2.
Personally I'm leaning towards hoping they sell the property but maybe they can salvage this mess.

Yea, that's not that easily done in a publicly traded company... they could go on strike, risking the magenemnt just drump a a couple of them and hire new talent (they surely got the money now), or just up and leave to make their own company, but since most of their old talent already left some time after Witcher 3... not that great of an option either.
Sure, this would probably be hard to accomplish legally speaking but if enough of the devs felt that way then at least getting the management to agree would not be that hard. Threatening to half like half or more of their employees would cripple CDPR for years to come. Not to mention financially. You don’t just replace such a huge part of your staff (especially in an industry like this) in a couple of months.

Of course, if they had to make good on that threat it would hurt them as well. Starting a new studio with those people would not be easy given that they probably wouldn’t have much in the way of starting capital.

Top Bottom